View Full Version : Best & Worse Rink Food You've Ever Eaten!!!

Skate@Delaware
07-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Ok, in an attempt to lighten things up a bit....clue us in on the absolute best and worst food you've ever gotten at a rink (your own or somewhere else). You can keep the rink confidential if you like!!!

I'll start:
Best: the Otis Spunkmeyer cookies my rink started serving....when they are fresh out of the oven!!!!

Worst: I will tell you it is at my rink.....the petrified pizza they try to sell! Absolutely horrible! I had to eat a slice once because they wouldn't start the grill up....and it was hard as a rock! I think it was leftover from the day before.....I did get my $$ back (and bought cookies) :lol:

jenlyon60
07-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Best: Salads at IceWorks. Actually just about anything at IceWorks snack bar except their fried cheesesticks.

Isk8NYC
07-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Best: The chicken caeser salad from our snack bar

Worst: The pizza at Warinanco Park.

mintypoppet
07-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Your rinks sell food? 8O

Ours has a few vending machines, including one that makes fries. Admittedly, if they sold real food, I might never leave.

sarahg
07-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Our rink has a snack bar that is only opened for disco sessions or very busy public sessions. At all other times it is a chocolate bar from the vending machine if you are lucky :roll:

Isk8NYC
07-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Most of the private rinks have snack bars that sell food. Many rinks offer party rooms and "cater" food for the parties as part of the deal. It's funny, our rink has decent pizza (if it's hot/fresh) but they order out for the parties because the snack bar doesn't have the ovens to make 6-8 pizzas at a time.

County-run rinks usually have snack bars, NYC rinks vary based on the concessionaire. Our local NYC rink has only machines. When I skated there as a kid, they had a decent snack bar. I guess it's all about profitability.

vesperholly
07-23-2006, 01:50 PM
I once heard about a rink (in Canada?) that had a Tim Hortons in it. Now, THAT would be the best rink food!

Skittl1321
07-23-2006, 03:02 PM
I never eat at the rink, so I can't chime in- but my current rink (and the rink I sometimes skated on as a kid in Austin) were both located in mall food courts- so the best is Panera Bread, and the worst is whichever mall food you don't like :)

Our Coffee Club skates are a free cup of Panera coffee :)

My old two Ohio rinks had little snack bars, but I never got anything at them.

jazzpants
07-23-2006, 03:13 PM
My home rink has snack bars but it's NEVER opened at the time that I skate. My weekend rink has vending machines only. And most of the people who go to my home rink don't bother with rink food... they go to the Whole Foods nearby!!! :twisted:

Worst: I've had rink food at a few rinks that I've visited... Eh, I lived thru it, but the next time I came to that rink, I BROUGHT food with me! :twisted: (If I really want cheap pizza and hot dogs, I'll go to Costco!!! :roll:

Sk8pdx
07-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Best
I love our pretzels. I also like hot cocoa and a toasted blueberry bagel & cream cheese. :yum:

Worst

Worst: I will tell you it is at my rink.....the petrified pizza they try to sell! Absolutely horrible! ...:lol:

Yeah, our pizza isn't the greatest either. I have attended a few coffee club sessions where they serve coffee and cookies. The coffee brand is the worst ever! and cookies are always burnt.

I am incredibly thankful that Starbucks is within walking distance from our rink. (it takes less than 10 minutes to get ther on foot.. but that is a different thread) :)

mikawendy
07-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Best: Salads at IceWorks. Actually just about anything at IceWorks snack bar except their fried cheesesticks.

The sandwiches at IceWorks are also great. (I've never had the cheesesticks--but will make a mental note to not try them... :lol: )

Clarice
07-23-2006, 04:58 PM
The food at our rink's snack bar is pretty bleah - the usual soft pretzels, nachos, hot dogs kind of thing - BUT, in season, there's a Farmer's Market across the street on Saturday mornings. We all go over to the Chinese food stand for egg rolls and fried rice.

cutiesk8r43
07-23-2006, 05:11 PM
the best food at my rink is the cookies and the bosco sticks

kittie067
07-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Best:

I like the bagels and cream cheese at our rink.
The Bosco sticks (cheese bread sticks) are pretty good too.
And of course the cookies! Chocolate chip. Mmmm...

Worst:

Haven't had the pizza so I wouldn't know about that.

~kittie

No fair that some rinks have salad!!

BlueIcePlaza
07-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Our rink has a snack bar that is only opened for disco sessions or very busy public sessions. At all other times it is a chocolate bar from the vending machine if you are lucky :roll:

And don't we have to type in the code number at least twice, to win a chocolate bar? (if we're lucky) :frus:

Otherwise, the snack bar sells 'orrible burgers, rather poor fries and sticky doughnuts, although it does do a fairly nice piece of toast on a weekend morning.
I think I'll stick to bringing a sandwich though. :giveup:

BlueIcePlaza
07-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Moaning apart though, other rinks in the Midlands don't even have a snack bar, so I'd count us as being lucky! :lol:

Terri C
07-23-2006, 06:25 PM
The sandwiches at IceWorks are also great.

I have to second that, but I think that the Ice House in Hackensack is also fairly good!
Any rink that serves Starbucks gets the thumbs up from me. Sadly it's not my rink and even though there is a Starbucks around the corner, outside food and beverages are not allowed in, supposedly :roll: (parents have brought coffee from Starbucks and 7-11)

sue123
07-23-2006, 06:29 PM
I had a great sandwich from a rink somewhere down south once, I forget where it was exactly. Also, one of the rinks I skate at has pretty good churro's.

Worst rink food was stale potato chips taken from a vending machine at a rink that didn't have a snack bar.

VegasGirl
07-23-2006, 09:18 PM
The only food I've ever eaten at the rink is the occassional donut during Golden Skate and they're always YUMMMMMIE!!! 8-)

jazzpants
07-24-2006, 12:56 AM
The only food I've ever eaten at the rink is the occassional donut during Golden Skate and they're always YUMMMMMIE!!! 8-)I assume your "Golden Skate" is our equivalent of "coffee club" or "Senior Skate?"

(Doing my best Homer Simpson impersonation...) "Mmmmm.... DONUTS!!!" :yum: (And at our "coffee club", we NEVER, EVER get the Krispy Kreme crap!!! Krispy Kreme is good ONLY when it's fresh and hot from the oven! :twisted: )

sk8_4fun
07-24-2006, 06:39 AM
WoW! i'm jealous, Our rink has a vending machine and a snack bar that sells half cooked, concrete chips (fries) when the hockey is on. The coffee is ok if you're desperate!8O

skating_life
07-24-2006, 07:37 AM
At my rink, the canteen is only open in 'major events' so nothing during practices. Which sucks, buts its not like my coach would let me eat anything during practices anyways.

VegasGirl
07-24-2006, 07:46 AM
I assume your "Golden Skate" is our equivalent of "coffee club" or "Senior Skate?"

Yep, back in Vegas it was called "Coffee Club" as well... but no donuts there just cookies.

(And at our "coffee club", we NEVER, EVER get the Krispy Kreme crap!!! Krispy Kreme is good ONLY when it's fresh and hot from the oven! :twisted: )

And no, no Krispy Kreme here either, rather a very nice selection on fresh donuts from a local bakery... best of all they're free! :) And you're absolutely right, KK donuts have to be hot or they're just so-so.

Isk8NYC
07-24-2006, 09:49 AM
... outside food and beverages are not allowed in ...A lot of rinks have that policy in place, to protect the food service vendor. It makes you hostage to high prices and bad food if you're not lucky enough to have a good food service in the rink. It's a big issue with full-day camps and seminars because it forces the school to include lunch costs in their prices. Something to look at when you evaluate programs, especially if you have a picky eater.

Figureskates
07-24-2006, 09:59 AM
My home rink serves Starbucks coffee.....thank goodness or I would never get the right skate on the right foot. (It was the total lack of any coffee that was responsible for the time I put a patch skate on my right foot and my freestyle skate on my left foot...result was interesting but that's a story for another time!).

Mrs Redboots
07-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Your rinks sell food? 8O

Ours has a few vending machines, including one that makes fries. Admittedly, if they sold real food, I might never leave.Your rink used to have a cafe, years ago, but I think the people who ran it gave up and the management never let the concession again, for some reason.

Ours does have a cafe, but it's never open during the sessions I skate at - and, I'm told, not often at other times, either! Used to be open on Saturday mornings, when I was in the classes, and we used to have a bacon roll after our class! But it's total junk-food, although it does do very nice chips (fries), on the rare occasions I'm there when it's open!

There's also a couple of vending machines, but most of us get drinks and snacks from a very nice hole-in-the-wall cafe outside the station, 200 yards away!

flo
07-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Amazingly the Skating Club of Boston had good food. I think that's where the member's $400 required bond goes to! Skating Club of Wilmington and also Ice Works have been pretty good.

The best is Villard! Having something at the bar while watching skating was great!