View Full Version : Wierd fears about seminars

tidesong
07-21-2006, 12:39 AM
I've only ever attended one seminar for skating and while it was great and touched on things in a different light from how my coach does it. I fell and twisted my ankle badly at the last day essentially taking the next year on the ice away from me.

Now that is something that has left a really bad mark in my memory, but its been 3 or 4 years since and I want to try another seminar again. But the memory of that last incident really makes me scared. Is there anything I can do to avoid injuring myself? I think the drawn out stress and excitement at a seminar might have been one of the reason why I got myself that badly injured. Is there any tip that anyone has or such about dealing with short skating seminars? Thanks.

dbny
07-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Don't be afraid to sit out anything that seems too risky or difficult for you. If you are feeling over tired or stressed, just step back and let everyone else skate. There's no shame is knowing when you are too tired, and many athletes (self included) have been hurt by pushing that particular limit.

DallasSkater
07-21-2006, 07:56 AM
tidesong: eeeek! Makes total sense that you would have a bit of post trauma over attending another one. Dbny advice sounds solid to me. Good for you in pushing through the anxiety.

There is a summer camp program at my rink that I was so jealous about as it covers just about everything. I wanted to sign up so bad but it is for kiddos. Then I watched the camp and saw that they were too advanced for me anyway. Would love to eventually go to one of the adult ones you guys have talked about. Maybe next year I will sign up anyway for a week since I have now witnessed one adult taking the kid's camp for a week. Noticed that adult made significant progress since that camp!

Good luck to you and your ankles!

Skate@Delaware
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
I have noticed that most of my falls have happend when I was tired....so if you go just pay attention, don't do anything you feel is way beyond your comfort level, and if you are really tired then get off the ice. Also, make sure you eat energy snacks and drink liquids throughout the day.

lovepairs
07-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Tide,

I think you should really try to separate the injury out from the seminar. The same injury could have happened when you were with your coach, and you could have no injury at all at the seminar. Injuries happen all of the time and they are not really specific to seminars...that is, unless, you are a beginner and you are being forced to perform axels, in which case, you just say "no thanks."