View Full Version : ADULT SKATERS - How many of you are there that learnt skating as an Adult

rf3ray
07-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Just wondering how many adult skaters that started learning skating in their late 20's and 30's and now doing double jumps axels and the other elements?

It would be good to hear from adult skaters that being old doesnt stop you from doing the stuff that the young ones do.

Please Post

DallasSkater
07-18-2006, 08:07 AM
rf3ray: I started skating 7 months ago. I am 43. I took the beginners learn to skate class, the advanced adult and am currently in beginning freestyle. I started with a private instructor as well 3 months ago. I am still on 1/2 jumps and simple spins and beginning moves in the field. No double jumps...in fact only completed one full rotation salchow on only one occasion....giggle...not sure I could do it again.......YET!

I think it is possible to achieve more then I would have ever believed. But I do see a huge difference in advanced skilled people who started very young and those that obtained those advanced skills later. Not sure but it appears to be a grace factor in presentation of an element more than lacking the element itself. Too new to the sport to know for sure that the late starter is the only common denominator.

morgan
07-18-2006, 08:27 AM
I am 50 years old and learned to skate as an adult 10 years ago. I have passed Bronze freestyle and Adult Silver Moves. Most adults I know who learned to skate as adults can/have learned through single jumps. There are a few adults who learned as adults who can do an axel or double salchow (most cannot and will likely never learn them, myself included) but frankly, the jumps are typically small, may appear "forced" and do not resemble the axel or double salchows of adults who skated as kids.

Adults who learned to skate as kids usually have better flow on the ice in their basic skating. Also, in my opinion, the truth is, if they learned an axel/doubles as a kid, their axel or double jump will not resemble the axel done by an adult who learned as an adult. I have a friend who is in her mid-30's, who skated as a kid, and her axel appears effortless, it's big, her body knows just what to do. She just soars. I don't know a single adult who learned as an adult, even Gold level skaters, that can do an axel that resembles that jump.

There is continuing debate among the adult skating community of skaters who learned as adults v. skaters who learned as kids. You can go a long way as an adult who learns as an adult, including moves, and, if you are in a lucky few, you may manage an axel or double salchow or even double loop. It's do-able and those who can, may want to work towards that goal. But there is a definite advantage held by those adults who skated as kids. Just my opinion.

pairman2
07-18-2006, 08:34 AM
I started skating around...was it 37 yrs old..., now I'm 47. About 10 years ago.
I've never hit a double and I'm still trying to learn the axel. However, I've learned all the pairs elements and have them working on ice. I've also done pretty well with MIF. My theory is that I can be any age and learn/ test all of them through senior, whereas with jumps, if I don't get my axel soon, I'll probably never get it.

Figureskates
07-18-2006, 08:41 AM
The big diffrence between adults learning first as kids and adults learning as adults is this:

Kids are basically fearless and learn elements through imitation. I see this in my 14 year old niece. She tells me that she watches the coach, then just goes out and does it.

Adults are much more analytical....and part of this analysis process is that I could break my neck doing this. It's a natural reaction.

I'm 60. I can do a waltz, salchow, and a so-so toeloop. I am in the pre-Bronze level. But over the last year or so I have taken up figures. I have a rebuilt left knee and athritis in my lower back and neck and jumping is beginning to bother it.

I figure I can do figures until they take me off the ice in a pine box.

phoenix
07-18-2006, 08:54 AM
I started at 27, am now 38. I'm not a freestyle skater, I do ice dance, but I'm with you, I'm trying to keep up w/ the kids & get to a very high level. I've always said I wanted it to look like I've been skating my whole life, not just as an adult. I believe there are moments when that's starting to happen now. So *now* I want to look like I could have been a competitive skater! Not sure if that's realistic or not.

But I'm getting there, I'm passing tests & starting to do some of the hard stuff. For me the issue is time; I skate 6 days a week but only for an hour to an hour & a half each time. To really cover all the stuff I should in a practice session, I should be skating 2 hours at a shot. I can't usually do that, so the progress is slower.

For the record I'm on my pre-gold dances (standard track) & intermediate moves. In competitive terms, I'd be about at Novice for a dancer (minus the moves requirement) (and I wouldn't be very competitive).

pairman2
07-18-2006, 09:18 AM
I've noticed that an adult can advance at roughly the same pace as a kid if they put in the same amount of practice time, usually 5-10 hours a week. Of course it's not exactly equivelent and I'm sure an adult can reach an age where it simply won't happen, especially if they have a fear factor. Some adults do, some don't.
Maybe a coach could weigh in but I think the average kid advances about a level per year up to Int or Novice and after that, they have to be an extrordinary fighter to keep moving.

CFP
07-18-2006, 09:19 AM
hey, i'm almost 40,, i started lessons at 27. i taught myself to skate --only backwards though- on a local pond when i was 7-8. now i'm playing catch-up and am VERY uncomfortable skating forward!:P
as for skills,,,,,,,hmmmmm i like to goof off. i have a hard time keeping my limbs in place,,, i guess you could say i'm a very 'expressionable' skater.........:lol: sometimes i get grooving so much to my music that i forget i have skates on and well,,,, i spend some time on my butt,,but that doesn't bother me,,, i don't make money from skating, so i don't get that self-absorbed with it..:)
my latest 'trick' as of last season; skate backward on a curve,, grab the arch of my boot and lift it straight up in front of me.........:P not bad for 40 i dare say! i also love to do splits from a lunge position. ideally, when i improve my forward stroking/crossovers,, i want to learn more 'dancey' elements... [ i skate to alot of techno- industrial stuff] like counters, rockers, bracketts,,ect. i really appreciate complicated footwork and strive to skate to funky music while making it LOOK like i DON'T have skates on...:)

Mrs Redboots
07-18-2006, 09:24 AM
We were in our 40s when we started. Now in our 50s, the Husband has just done his first ever free skating programme (as a result of a challenge from a friend of similar age - who beat him by 0.03, how infuriating was that!), and we compete at Adult Pre-Bronze level internationally and Adult Elementary in the UK. Husband tends to compete Adult Intermediate in solo dance, although he has yet to do a Free Dance so won't do that discipline in the British Adult Championships.

And this year we are just beginning not to have to assume that we'll automatically come last! :)

flo
07-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi there,
I started as an adult and have landed a double sal. I did have an axel for a brief bit, but it's not pretty! I've done well with pairs and have combination overheads and death spirals and such. I tried a throw double axel in the harness - it was lots of fun.

phoenix
07-18-2006, 09:33 AM
......but I think the average kid advances about a level per year up to Int or Novice and after that, they have to be an extrordinary fighter to keep moving.

I totally agree w/ that, and everyone hits that point, at various levels. Talent will get you to a certain point fairly easily, and after that it's just hard hard hard hard work. Grueling sometimes, day after day. And the progress comes slower and can be more subtle, so it's not as easy to see as at the lower levels. To succeed in this sport you have to be mentally tough and enjoy endless repetition (or at least be willing to put in the time & do it).

Rusty Blades
07-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Well I skated from age 14 to 19 and was then off the ice (no skating at all!) until age 56. After 6 months, I am just starting backward skating and progress has been agonizingly SLOW!

The ONLY advantage I have seen so far is that I know what a move should look like and I recognize the feeling when I hit it. Lets face it, after 36 years, every cell in my body that knew how to skate has been replaced numerous times by cells that DON'T know how to skate!

If there is ANY long-term advantage, I will let you know in a couple of years :roll:

Evelina
07-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Not sure how useful this is, but I am 24 and have returned to skating in March. I skated between ages 3-8 but it was twice a week in group lessons, never private, and to be honest i don't even remeber what I used to be able to do nevermind how to do it.

In March, when i started private lessons I could just about do forwards and backwards crossovers but nothing more advanced, not even 3-turns, and today I am working on my lutz. While I didn't remember how do do anything, I did find the feeling of being on ice completelly familiar and comfortable, to add to that when learning my jumps i am a bit fearless and just go for it. In sum I guess you can learn anything even when you start as an adult if you work hard, but for me, I found it really did help to feel confidend on ice.

Evelina

Joan
07-18-2006, 10:28 AM
I started group lessons at age 41, and I am now 54. I have the jumps through lutz. I still harbor hopes of learning an axel....and I think I can do it as long as I don't break something in the process of learning it 8O

skaternum
07-18-2006, 11:02 AM
I started shortly before I turned 31. I've passed the Silver freeskate. I've never landed an axel, but I've been working on one.

jenlyon60
07-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Started at 23, skated until age 28, did some freestyle but mostly dance. Didn't skate regularly from age 28 to age 40, first because I moved to somewhere with no nearby rink, and then I blew out my left knee while skiing. Started up again in 2000.

Kelli
07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I started skating as a kid, took off one semester in college when I didn't have a car, and landed my first clean axel as an adult (well, around 20, so an adult in the real world, but a tween in the skating world).

Rob Dean
07-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Well, I've only been at this for two years and a bit, measured in absolute time. In terms of time in private lessons, it's been rather less, since we had about four months in early '05, a nine month gap, and now another five months at a rather higher intensity level. I'm 45 now. I'm doing dance rather than freestyle, so I don't expect to ever attempt a double. On the other hand, progress in dance is being made, so I have no idea yet where I'll top out in that.

Nevertheless, I don't think I'm helping your case much. :roll:

Rob

Clarice
07-18-2006, 11:38 AM
I started at 37; am now 48. Have passed standard Moves through Pre-Juv, and am now working on Adult Gold. I've passed the Silver free test, but did that before the Adult Moves structure came into play, so I've never taken an Adult Moves test. Have all my single jumps, and am doing pre-axel exercises. Spins come harder for me - I'm making slow, but steady progress on my camel. No flying spins or layback yet, but I've got a good sit-change-sit.

jazzpants
07-18-2006, 11:40 AM
rf3ray: You ARE a young'um!!! (From what I saw in the vids anyway!)

Don't know if I am an adult skater! Some of you guys think I am. Others don't. I'll let you judge for yourself.

I skate from age 9 to about 12 in public session on rental skates and had no formal training -- not even group lessons. Just picked up stuff along the way. (Had up to a one foot spin, spiral, shoot the duck (I can't believe I used to do be able to do that since I can't do them for love or money now), and waltz jump. I quit skating when I went to high school and focused on school and work (with the minor obstacle of my old rink being torn down for condos!!! :x ) until I was 31, when I found out about my current home rink. I am now 38 and am preparing (for like FOREVER!!!) for the Bronze Moves and FS tests. We'll see if I finally pass those BLASTED THINGS this year!!! :evil: :frus:

I have up to an inconsistent loop and flip clean landing and have a sit and backspin. Working forever for a camel too! :frus:

AndreaUK
07-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi

Im an adult skater aged 31, started in May. Im just about to finish the learn to skate program and currently working on lunges/drags and apparently im told im gonna start the bunny hop and walz jump soon. However I dont know when this will be becuase the rink has now cancelled all patch and freestyle sessions during the day to accomodate Britains most stupid teenagers. So it looks like my training will be on hold until September.
This aint a bad thing becuase ive busted my knee with a little fall on the ice (yesterday)

Andrea xx

kateskate
07-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I started skating when I was 21.

I'm 26 now and I have landed an axel although its gone on holiday of late. It wasn't pretty when I had it but it was rotated. I can do a double salchow most of the time (often underrotated - but I have landed them one correctly). I've got a quarter turn short on a double cherry and double loop although I haven't practised either for ages and both were one off flukes.

I don't really look like a adult who skated as a child - I still have a lot of odd awkward positions. I skate with kids most of the time since my rink is quite small. I practice with them and my teachers expect me to keep up with them - I never feel like an adult skater in that respect. But I think a lot of this comes from the fact that I don't look much older than 18 sometimes (especially at the rink in my skating clothes and my hair tied up) and so the kids and teachers forget I am older. However, one teacher thought I was 18 only last week! Although having said that I would never subject myself to skating in a competition against children.

It just takes me longer than the kids to get stuff. And I don't look as comfortable on the ice - because I haven't been on the ice for as long - unlike most kids who are used to the ice from the ages of 7 or something. Its like walking to them.

Sonic
07-18-2006, 12:36 PM
I skated as a kid from 12-14, returned to skating 18 years later this January at the ripe ol' age of 32!

In my 2 years of skating as a kid I skated 1-2 times a week and could just manage a double salchow. I had quite a good axel but for some reason salchows and flips were my weakest jumps.

Gradually the skills are coming back. I'm some way off an axel yet, but on the positive side after 6 months my spins are coming better than they were as a child - can't (yet!) get as low in a sit spin but the control is a lot better.

In some ways I find jumps more difficult, as an adult I'm more cautious and won't just through myself in the air as I tended to do years ago! On the plus side, I think I will develop better basic skills, now I'm more willing to work on them, and have the added bonus of being able to get to the rink a lot more.

I'm also enjoying skating a lot more as an adult, it's less competetive (I mean in a negative way), and the adult skating community here in the UK seems friendly.

S xxx

Skate@Delaware
07-18-2006, 01:19 PM
I skated maybe 20 times (give or take) as a teen and didn't really hit the ice until age 40. I only wanted to learn to skate backwards and not embarrass myself or my kids on public skate sessions.....

Now, almost 4 years later I have a nice waltz jump when I try really hard and don't get lazy, not-so-sucky toe-loop, salchow, and a two-footed loop (and can do the 1/2 loop, 1/2 flip and even the bunny hop but I hate that one). Am learning the flip and will probably learn the lutz this upcoming season. I have the scratch spin but only just got (and lost) the camel and backspin (don't even ask about the sitspin...). I'm told I have a very nice spiral.

My coach has encouraged me to do as much off-ice jump training this summer for height in my jumps. She says there is a great chance I have a possible double-salchow in my future!!!

I haven't tested but have been working on my moves during the last season and hope to test sometime this year (although not before my first competitions, where I will compete no-test). That's the plan, anyway.

I skate in the ice shows and have tons of fun!!! I get all the rehearsal time to work on moves....:lol: and then get the freak scared out of me when they teach me something way above my level for our routine...8O

skatingdoris
07-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I started skating almost 15 months ago at 20.
I did a small amount of skating as a child, taking lessons for about 18 months, think I was about 8-9ish. I don't remember learning much in the way of spins and have a vauge memory of having a wobbely 3-jump.

At the moment I have my single jumps upto a flip (finally got it back, hoping it won't dissapear again), still working on lutz, and basic spins, sit spin is terrible - i just don't have the leg strength to get down low enough!!

I would hope that with enough work and dedication that one day I will have the most of my double jumps. I entertain no allusions of ever having a double axel but a 2loop would be nice :) .

The fear factor comes in fits and spurts for me, some days I'm quite happy to throw myself on the floor (I know this should be in the air!!) others not so much. :roll:

As for having the grace of some one who skated as a child, definatley not that of those my age who have been skating for a decade but I will that my willingness to work on MIF and think about my posture gives me a little advantage over the young kids who are working on the same jumps as me - (I aslo know that in a few years they will be skating circles around me :mrgreen: )

Hannahclear
07-18-2006, 02:25 PM
I skated as a teenager, starting at around 15, getting really into it, going through classes and made it through pre-pre, worked on the axel. Then I quit.

Skated for just about a year starting my senior year of college. Then, I skated intermittently, due to money issues and issues of rink access with no car.

I've been skating "seriously" again since last summer. I have a car now, which makes things much easier. I probably get about 2 1/2 hours per week of practice/lesson time. I'm again working on my axel. My coach doesn't doubt that I'll have it someday, and she does credit my childhood skating, even though I was a teenager. I'd like to get a double salchow and a loop. My ultimate goal is to pass all the Adult tests. I'm currently through Bronze Moves and testing Bronze FS next month.

Sonic
07-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I think I said this before, but it's great to 'meet' so many other adult skaters.

I remember being worried when I booked the LTS classes at the beginning of this year that there would only be kids, looks like I've been proved wrong lol!

So what are everyone's goals?

I think I'm going to be safe (and realistic), and stop at Axel with free skating, but hope to continue learning a variety of spins, put a programme together and skate in competitions.

With dance - well I haven't been doing this long, at the moment I want to become competent at the first 5 forward dances and take it from there...

S xxxx

doubletoe
07-18-2006, 02:47 PM
I took my first class at age 27 and kept taking one group class per week and skating two public sessions per week for almost 5 years. At that point I had all of my single jumps through the lutz. I quit for 5 years and came back at age 37, at which point I found out about the adult track, put together my first program and started the testing process. At 38 I landed my first axel and my first double salchow (although, in retrospect I doubt that the double sal was fully rotated). At 39 I landed my first double toeloop. Sometimes I wonder what I'd be able to do if I hadn't had to quit for 5 years!

froggy
07-18-2006, 03:25 PM
I began skating about 1 and a half years ago at the age of 24 with private lessons with barely being able to stand on two feet! it took a real long while to feel steady on the ice and just to get real basics like swizzles! I'm now workingon pre-bronze MITF, in freestyle i can land the 1/2 jumps, salchow, toe loop and just began working on the loop. Spins are a nightmare i can do a 1 foot that travels to china and a sit for like maybe at best almost 2 revolutions in like maybe 1/100. i now skate 3x/week with a lesson 1x/week. I would love...to land an axel and a double jump before I'm 30!!!

kateskater..i know what you mean....i skate a lot among other kids and I look much much younger than i am, in fact the skating director at one rink approached me once and begged me to tell her how old i was..she shared the news among the coachs and rink guards, they had a good laugh and couldn't believe it! ..many times they charge me child admission which is under 13 y/o! so yes it could feel weird that i skate a bitt sloppish among the child skaters..however they are a good inspiration and can give good skating tips!

PattyP
07-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Don't know if I am an adult skater! Some of you guys think I am. Others don't. I'll let you judge for yourself.

I skate from age 9 to about 12 in public session on rental skates and had no formal training -- not even group lessons. Just picked up stuff along the way. (Had up to a one foot spin, spiral, shoot the duck and waltz jump.

Jazz, I consider you an Adult skater as your story is the same as mine and I call myself an adult skater...but I guess that is just my opinion. ;)

I started LTS classes when I was 34, I'm 43 now and have an okay axel and continuously working on d.sal, d.toe and sometimes d.loop without successfully landing any of them clean...yet. This has been a long slow process, but I'm very close. I just barely two-footed a d.sal this morning. I have found the trick, at this age, is to stay injury free long enough to make progress (I'm knocking on wood right now).

It's learning the feel of rotation over the right side that is so difficult to learn as an adult.

doubletoe
07-18-2006, 04:25 PM
That is so true, Patty! (Re: getting the feel of rotating backward over the right hip).
And Jazzpants, I agree. I don't consider skating recreationally with your friends from time to time the same thing as skating regularly with actual instruction. That's like saying you were a child gymnast just because you walked on the balance beam in gym class, did a somersault on the floor and tried to do the splits numerous times. ;)

badaxel
07-18-2006, 07:49 PM
I started at age 20, when I was in college, but I really got serious and started skating regularly about 3 years ago, at the age of 24. I have been landing axels for about 9 months, but never consistently (I haven't seen my axel since last Wednesday, despite lots of time spent trying to find it! :frus: ). I am working on double sal and double toe now. I've accepted the fact that I will never do double axels or triples, but I would like to make it up to the double lutz. I love hearing other people's stories- it gives me hope!

Skate@Delaware
07-18-2006, 08:53 PM
I think I said this before, but it's great to 'meet' so many other adult skaters.

I remember being worried when I booked the LTS classes at the beginning of this year that there would only be kids, looks like I've been proved wrong lol!

So what are everyone's goals?

I think I'm going to be safe (and realistic), and stop at Axel with free skating, but hope to continue learning a variety of spins, put a programme together and skate in competitions.

With dance - well I haven't been doing this long, at the moment I want to become competent at the first 5 forward dances and take it from there...

S xxxx
I love to set goals, both long-term (for the season September-April) and short term (even as short as each skating session).

My goals last season were pretty well on-target, after a good heart-to-heart with my coach and some minor tweaking.

This year I plan on getting back my backspin, and the camel and actually get closer to having a real sitspin (I now realize it means falling on my caboose-a risk I'm willing to take now). I'd like to land the loop on one foot. Compete at Halloween Classic in Aston, PA as well as the other competitions I entered last year. Test pre-bronze (hopefully pass). Be a snowflake in our Nutcracker on Ice (don't laugh, I'm working my way up...from flower, to cake...). Get the flip. Become friends with the bunny hop :twisted: .

All while having fun, working hard, and not taking myself too seriously!!!

dalsvet
07-19-2006, 07:10 AM
I started skating at 18, with no sporting or dance background, and could land axels, double sals and double toes by 23 (and I by no means have a small frame :) ). Then hardly skated at all in the past 5 years, and am just starting to get back to regular practicing. The axel looks like a train wreck at the moment :).

I don't think I will ever be as smooth a skater, or as comfortable on edges, as someone who began skating as a child. The awkwardness is certainly there, and the hesitancy/uncertainty leading into a move I know I could injure myself on. However, I don't think double jumps are unreachable for an adult skater. Much depends on how injured your joints are at the moment and how much more they can take :) , as well as on your general strength and flexibility. I think most people do have a physical limit in terms of what is achievable, but it is not all age related.

dalsvet
07-19-2006, 08:51 AM
I started skating at 18, with no sporting or dance background, and could land axels, double sals and double toes by 23 (and I by no means have a small frame :) ). Then hardly skated at all in the past 5 years, and am just starting to get back to regular practicing. The axel looks like a train wreck at the moment :).

I don't think I will ever be as smooth a skater, or as comfortable on edges, as someone who began skating as a child. The awkwardness is certainly there, and the hesitancy/uncertainty leading into a move I know I could injure myself on. However, I don't think double jumps are unreachable for an adult skater. Much depends on how injured your joints are at the moment and how much more they can take :) , as well as on your general strength and flexibility. I think most people do have a physical limit in terms of what is achievable, but it is not all age related.

rlichtefeld
07-19-2006, 09:13 AM
I started at age 37 about 9 years ago.

I can do all single jumps (in combination) and have worked on the Axel and 2-Sal on and off for the past 4 years. Have gotten close, but never not cheated.

I can also do most fwd and back spins in combination, but my back camel is r-e-a-l-l-y slow.

Lately, I been skating/learning Gold Pairs, and haven't had much time to devote to the Axel, but my new coach has it as a priority. Over the past year, I've learned the guy's part of a death-spiral (one-handed in pivot position), split twist, lutz lift, pairs combo spins, etc.

Time on the ice and determination will make up for a late start and a lack of ability.

Rob

flo
07-19-2006, 09:59 AM
From rlichtefeld:

"Lately, I been skating/learning Gold Pairs, and haven't had much time to devote to the Axel, but my new coach has it as a priority. Over the past year, I've learned the guy's part of a death-spiral (one-handed in pivot position), split twist, lutz lift, pairs combo spins, etc."

Not to mention the edge laden footwork, and your way around BWI!

TreSk8sAZ
07-19-2006, 10:40 AM
I skated for about a year when I was 7, but never really got anywhere (didn't even have a waltz jump). I got back into skating during my freshman year in college (at age 19) and became serious. I just turned 22. I am now working on all of my doubles through my lutz. None of them are consistent, :frus: but I've landed them all at least once. Spin wise I have pretty much everything but a catch-foot, beilmann, and death drop, though my flying sits aren't great. I also do dance, which I'm at the pre-silver level.

I have to agree about the fear element, though. I've noticed even between people of my age and only a couple years older. I have no problem throwing myself into a double jump knowing I'm going to go splat, but I've seen how hard it is for someone that's say, 30 and has kids. I'm at a totally different place in life where if I get hurt, it's not going to mess everything else in my life up. If you have kids and such, it's a lot harder to get around and do everything you need to do if you do get hurt.

Isk8NYC
07-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Maybe we should design a Falling on-ice workshop for adults. If you could lose your fear of falling, most adult skaters gain a great deal of confidence and bravery. The impact on skating is dramatic. I learned early on that falling is part of skating and caution holds you back. Come to think of it, I started skating at an outdoor rink. I was always well-bundled with layers of clothes and a down jacket. I guess the cushioning helped makes falls less scary for me, huh?

I started taking lessons at 18 and I stopped skating when I was 28. My most difficult jumps were the axel and a double loop.I was an ISI competitor since the adult track didn't exist in USFSA at the time. I, and my friends, took skating as seriously as the USFSA kiddies did, I assure you. The major holdbacks were money and time since we all worked or went to school full-time.

Sonic
07-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Maybe we should design a Falling on-ice workshop for adults. If you could lose your fear of falling, most adult skaters gain a great deal of confidence and bravery. The impact on skating is dramatic. I learned early on that falling is part of skating and caution holds you back.

Hey that would be a great idea!

I think TreSk8sAZ is absolutely right - when you're older and have responsibilities you don't want to take as many risks. When I was say 13 skating the first time round, the thought of breaking something was like 'cool, a week off school and everyone can sign my plaster!' Now, even though I don't have kids yet, the thought of having to be off work and even worse, not being able to drive 'coz I live out in the sticks is a total nightmare.

S xxx

NickiT
07-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey that would be a great idea!

I think TreSk8sAZ is absolutely right - when you're older and have responsibilities you don't want to take as many risks. When I was say 13 skating the first time round, the thought of breaking something was like 'cool, a week off school and everyone can sign my plaster!' Now, even though I don't have kids yet, the thought of having to be off work and even worse, not being able to drive 'coz I live out in the sticks is a total nightmare.

S xxx

As someone who has suffered a badly broken ankle and also a fractured wrist from skating, I can tell you first hand that the impact on your life is huge. When I broke my ankle my kids were 4 and 2. My daughter had just started school and I was unable to drive her there. When I broke my wrist last year I thought it would be easier now that my kids were older (10 and 8), but I still couldn't drive and it was my dominant hand that I broke so I had to manage to get by with the other hand. It put a huge strain on my husband since he was cutting his working day short to do school runs etc.

I would say though that any such injury is a risk with skating and I have skated relatively injury free for the most part, but I accept that the more hours you skate the more risk you have of getting hurt, and like others have said, if you want to progress falling is part of the deal. I hope that I've had my share of bad injuries now though and now get off the ice when I feel I've done enough since my worst falls always occurred at the end of a long session on the ice.

Nicki

e-skater
07-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Just wondering how many adult skaters that started learning skating in their late 20's and 30's and now doing double jumps axels and the other elements?

It would be good to hear from adult skaters that being old doesnt stop you from doing the stuff that the young ones do.

Please Post

I'm not sure I qualify to answer the first part of your post! I didn't start skating until I was 48.

But, as to the 2nd part of your post, being does not stop you I guess. But I would not say that any of the other adults who started at my age are doing what the kids do ---at all. And I mean people who didn't skate at all when younger --- true "adult onsetters"! Shrug. It's fun and I love it.

Skate@Delaware
07-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Maybe we should design a Falling on-ice workshop for adults. If you could lose your fear of falling, most adult skaters gain a great deal of confidence and bravery.

When my son started learn-to-play hockey, the first few times they were on the ice, they "learned" to not fear falling by skating forward and throwing themselves down on the ice! It was scary to watch him do that, even though he was wearing all that padding and gear (helmet, mouthguard). Now, if we did that, it would be interesting!

mikawendy
07-19-2006, 07:56 PM
I started 4 years ago when I was 26 and am working on lutz now. I have a friend who's a year younger who is working hard on her axel and has landed 1, and I think she's also working on her 2sal.

newskaker5
07-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Well Im still a beginner too but I aspire to land a double axel (well at least some double jumps) as well. Im 25 and I started skating 3 1/2 months ago with the exception of skating 2-3x ever as a child on a pond. I was a pretty high level in another sport so I think that helps.

I can do a toe loop and waltz jump and attempted (but very bad attempt) a salchow once. My coach is very good at refining basics which is good bcause Im the opposite of most adults - I have no fear and want to jump/spin as much as possible. I am also a perfectionist and super persistent when it comes to sports so I have no problem repeating a skill hundreds of times between lessons till its perfect. My coach tells me that Im far above the learning curve (other than his opinion I have no other way to judge haha since I know nothin about skating).

So my goal is in another year to at least be trying an axel. I can land one no problem on dry land - I just have to convince the coach to let me go for it (jk - I know basics are the #! most important part)

:)

samba
07-20-2006, 12:07 AM
I started in my late 30's but wasnt able to skate seriously until I was well into my 40's due to the expense of keeping my son skating, he got as far as level 1 coach and now hardly ever skates at all, youth is so wasted on the young.

tidesong
07-20-2006, 12:48 AM
I started at 18 (not here not there...) and am now 23 with axel, double salchow, flying camel, just had a break through for the beilmann... have an occasional double loop. And I started from scratch... wasnt particularly athletic apart from compulsory school physical education.

SkatingOnClouds
07-20-2006, 03:45 AM
I started skating in my early 20s, had all singles up to lutz. Twice I got to the stage of was working on axel and double toe, and had to stop because work transferred me somewhere there wasn't a rink.

20+ years later, age 46, I am still struggling to regain my elements. My body has changed a lot over the years, which doesn't help. I have waltz, toe loop, salchow okay though not great, a fairly pathetic loop, and am really having problems with getting my flip back, before I even think about working on lutz. I am not a natural spinner, so they are taking longer.

Oddly enough I don't really share the adult fear of falling. My record is 7 falls in one 2 hour session. Perhaps I played so many sports as a teenager/young adult, that it doesn't bother me. I certainly didn't fall over as much skating when younger as I do now. Having said that though, a recent injury has made me a little more careful and daredevil lately.

I would hope to one day achieve an axel and at least one double jump, but I don't know if that is a realistic goal. I have to say that right at this moment I am pessimistic, but if you'd asked on Sunday I would've said it is possible (lousy practice and lesson last night).

It is encouraging to see that some adult starters here who can do axels and doubles, but they are noticeably fewer than those who can't. Yet. :D

Raye
07-20-2006, 05:08 AM
I skated fom age 17-22, and at the time I quit, my axel and double sal were not consistent yet, but coming along nicely. I had passed up to my Fourteenstep, and I used to do hours upon hours of figures.

Two and a half years ago, I returned to skating after a 26 year absence and It was just like starting over.:frus: The first six or seven months were difficult, but by the time I was back a year, I was up to a waltz jump, bunny hop, a one-foot spin and a spiral. Now I also have my sitspin, salchow,toe loop and loop-jump, some rather fast intricate footwork, and a consistent flip-jump is just around the corner.... and I still do figures :halo:

Rusty Blades
07-20-2006, 09:29 AM
I returned to skating after a 26 year absence and It was just like starting over.:frus: The first six or seven months were difficult. . . .

OH MAN! Can I ever identify with that!!!!! Six months in, after 36 years away, has been absolutely BRUTAL!

The first thing to go is your confidence - when you step on the ice, still feeling like a skater, and find out you can't stand up on skates! What the #$@%!!!!

The next thing to go is the ego, when you have to get on the ice in public, as an adult, and everybody gets to see how BAD you really are! You used to be a good skater and now and you are being out-skated by 7 year olds!

I wont even tell anybody what I was working on in my last year of skating as a 19 year old - it is far too embarrassing to have gone from "there" to "here"!

VegasGirl
07-20-2006, 05:55 PM

Started skating 2 years ago at the age of 38... began by taking 1 group lesson and a public practise session a week but added a private lesson to it 2 months later... then about a year ago I switched rinks, dropped the group lesson, kept the private one and upped the practise sessions to twice a week... in February we moved and so no more lessons for me just practice ice twice a week and the occassional public skate on the weekend.

Am nowhere near doing double jumps or for that matter a full rotation single but who the heck cares, I'm having fun that's all that matters and to top it off I've gone further in skating than I ever thought I would having passed ISI Freestyle 2 and competed in several competitions including last year's ISI Adult Champs... so what that I'm "only" able to do waltz jumps, half flips, lutzes and toe-walleys, ballet jumps and a half way decent Salchow!!!
Who needs doubles and the strain on your body that they cause anyway? ;)

Black Sheep
07-20-2006, 06:48 PM
....only during the wintertime, and when my folks were willing to chauffeur me. My hardest element was a flip jump when I quit at age 15. I learned my axel and all my doubles (not to mention stuff like flying spins and flexibility stretches!) as an adult.

Careygram
07-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Learned as an adult but "cheated" from being a gymnast for 13 years. Rotation is never a problem it's trying not to go upside down while rotating that's been the issue. (watch how a gymnast rotates a full twisting layout).

I have more respect for people who pick up a "body awareness" sport for the first time as an adult because I know they're working harder to conquer fear, new skills.......

Now if I suddenly had the urge to take up field hockey or rugby, instead of "toe pick" we'd be hearing "Carey, heads up, STICK" all the time. I would SUCK!

Skate@Delaware
07-22-2006, 08:48 AM
so what that I'm "only" able to do waltz jumps, half flips, lutzes and toe-walleys, ballet jumps and a half way decent Salchow!!!
Who needs doubles and the strain on your body that they cause anyway? ;)
VegasGirl, NEVER belittle your accomplishments, but wear them PROUDLY!!!!!!

You worked hard for them and earned them!!!

jcookie1982
07-22-2006, 03:38 PM
I skated for fun when I was a kid, but just recently started taking lessons in November, at the age of 23. I am now working on passing Freestyle 2, and also landing the toe loop, and working on the salchow.

newskaker5
07-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Carey - as a former gymnast too I completely agree - I get in trouble for twisting like a gymnast too! haha BIG problem Im having without realizing is using my shoulders for balance- like to save a fall which according to my coach is like the worst thing a skater can do. From yeasr of saving myself from falls on beam, etc I cant seem to not move the shoulders - did you have this problem when starting? Any advice? Im just about passing freestyle 1 and started at the end of March and this problem still happens :(

VegasGirl
07-23-2006, 08:34 AM
VegasGirl, NEVER belittle your accomplishments, but wear them PROUDLY!!!!!!

You worked hard for them and earned them!!!

Hey thanks... nice to hear!!!
And yes, that's exactly how I feel... I enjoy every accomplishment to the fullest and am not shy to show it off! :halo: 8-)

Skate@Delaware
07-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Hey thanks... nice to hear!!!
And yes, that's exactly how I feel... I enjoy every accomplishment to the fullest and am not shy to show it off! :halo: 8-)

Atta Girl!!!!!:bow:

Careygram
07-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey New Skater,
welcome. I honestly don't even know if I'm using my shoulders for balance. Truthfully, my events were floor and vault and I HATED beam and bars (don't like heights). I did some diving too and really, my biggest issue is the right elbow Up, left Down. It's crazy. I still revert to that when I'm tired.

How are you rotating? Are you finding it easy? I have to say, I found EVERYTHING easier when I was 26. Now that I'm 40 I can still rotate but I seem to be throwing my weight behind me now and now I land a double butz. It's awful.

Balance wise I'm great. I even can feel what I'm doing when I'm doing something wrong. And I just seem to keep doing it. And when I was landing stuff, sadly I had no idea why I just did it and went along my merry way.

Ah, youth....:giveup:

newskaker5
07-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks Carey- well I just started - 3 1/2 months and I can do a toe loop and waltz jump only. I never fall and I think thats part of the problem - Its good cause I can save everything but according to my coach I rebalance with my shoulders vs shifting teh weight only over my hip and not moving my upper body. I think he'd rather I fall over and learn to stay still up top than move teh upper body. Since I can only do two jumps I seem to rotate fine- I dont really think about it but he hasnt yelled so I guess its ok haha. I did have/ and still have a problem learning to spin- I pull in and look over the shoulder similar to twisting a full- Im getting better but its such a habit hehe :)

Careygram
07-23-2006, 05:16 PM
New--
I STILL hate spinning and I've been skating now for 14 years. Why the heck is that?

I think I do know what you're talking about with the not getting the weight over on the correct side and just using the old shoulders to buck up. I on the other hand don't mind falling. In fact, I would bet money on it that the people at my rink think I LOVE to fall. (sarcasm....)

I started on public sessions and taught myself up to toe loop. Then it was time for lessons because I just wasn't satisfied. I think you've done a lot in three months (plus a half) too. Took me three years to learn an axel (I was 29 and landed my first in the cheap plastic bottom pro-shop skates! Ewww).

Good luck. Oh, and if you need me to, I'll come over and tip you over if you really want to learn how to fall. I am the master:bow:

lovepairs
07-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi Careygram!

SkatingOnClouds
07-24-2006, 03:47 AM
.....and now I land a double butz. :

LOL, that is so funny, I hope you don't mind if I borrow that one some times.
:lol:

sk8_4fun
07-24-2006, 06:48 AM
Im an adult skater aged 39, started at the end of March this year. I've just finished the skate UK level 1- 7 in may, and would love to learn a jump (other than waltz). I absolutely LOVE skating and can't wait to get back on the ice in september when the kids are back at school. I'm am trying to fit in some off ice exercise which fits in with the physio I'm having for a knee injury I sustained on the ice back in april! I'm hoping to have quads of steel by the time we go back!!!:D

Careygram
07-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey Love Pairs!

Sure, anyone who wants to use my catch phrases, please feel free. I own the double butz AND the double Klutz (I broke both my feet one time and the ER people were calling me "grace" and asking about the double klutz. Does everyone have to be a comedian?)

Good luck to everyone. May you land the next jump whatever it is!:D

Zoomana
07-24-2006, 09:58 PM
I started skating at 28, going from couch monster dud, non-athletic status. I was just doing it for fun in the beginning and had never done anything athletic in my life (I was a huge TV skating fan and decided to try real group skating lesson in a bored moment). I'm now 38 and I have all the singles (except Axel, man!) and all the spins. Single axel and double flip are two things I'm working on. Both are wild and crazy and not landed, but I'm trying (Axel is cheated 1/4 on landing on my best day). I'm an adult who has no fear of falling, and I really hate that stereotype! I know a lot of people have that fear and I respect it, but that's not my fear! My biggest phobia is stage fright, i.e., testing/competing. That to me is the hardest "unlearned" thing that I never experienced in childhood

My favorite complement is when people ask me how long I skated as a kid. I didn't, but thanks for thinking it.

passion
07-24-2006, 10:45 PM
I started skating at 19. I landed my first axel at 27 and my first double salchow in my early thirties. I am still trying to consolidate my double salchow and have started working on my double loop. I hope to one day have all my doubles including double axel. The double axel would be icing on the cake. Today I asked my coach whether it was possible for me to learn all my doubles and he said that I had the muscular ability and fast twitch muscles and a good feel for edges and good control. So, we'll see. I feel I need to hurry up because who knows how long the body can handle these things.

I was able to achieve the Beilmann position with same arm, same leg at 25. And then I was able to achieve the Beilmann position with opposite arm, opposite leg at 31. I hope that one day I will be able to spin in that position. That would be such a dream for me!

I know I'm an adult and people (including coaches) have different expectations of adults, but I don't see myself differently from the kids that I practice with. Sometimes I feel intimidated and frustrated that they all surpass me and learn their jumps so quickly, but on the other hand, it's helped me to not be any different than them. I think I expect a lot more from myself because of them. Of course, it can backfire and I get all depressed.

aussieskater
07-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Now that I'm 40 I can still rotate but I seem to be throwing my weight behind me now and now I land a double butz. It's awful.

If a "double butz" is what I think it is, then :D :D ROFL still!!!

Easton-Skater
07-27-2006, 09:07 PM
*snip*
Adults are much more analytical....and part of this analysis process is that I could break my neck doing this. It's a natural reaction. *snip*

It's true. Self-preservation is important. Getting hurt can sometimes have long term consequences or even permanent problems. Plus getting hurt badly can influence our lives, like prevent people from working etc.

Some people believe no pain, no gain. But tend to forget that pain can also mean a loss.

sexyskates
07-27-2006, 09:16 PM
I started my figure skating private lessons at age 37. My husband had bought me my first pair of ice skates, and I was pretty much just a board hanger. I had taken some adult group lessons to get me past the shuffling around the rink stage, and I had played around with my roller blades also. Initially I thought it would be my goal to just be able to stroke about the rink in an elegant fashion and to have one jump and one spin. But before I knew it, my coach had me taking the pre-pre MITF test! After 2 years I had my first program, and performed it in public for the first time in our club's spring show on my 40th birthday! Then I skated it in a competition, and then the whole thing took on a life of it's own. Now I've been to 6 adult nationals and compete on the USFSA adult circuit at Adult Silver Free level. I grew up skiing and swimming, but also have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do - so I had some coordination but not of the skating type. It took me forever to learn to spin, and my body does not want to cross feet in the air during jumps (skiers do NOT cross feet!). The axel is a huge hurdle for me - and my darn feet won't cross! But I'm having a fantastic time improving all the time, and I love the cool adult skaters I've met on the competition circuit!