View Full Version : Any tips for Learning Back Camel and Flying Camel

rf3ray
07-18-2006, 06:08 AM
Hey guys, I have a strong front camel and learning the back camel, do you guys have any tips for learning this thanks?

flo
07-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Are you working with a coach? There are a few ways to learn these spins, but don't get discouraged as they will take some time. You can learn a back camel from an edge entrance alone, or changing from a forward camel. I learned a back camel from doing a pair tango camel, where the lady is in a back camel, so I also practiced a solo back camel from an edge entry. I prefer a flying camel from a forward camel, then jump to it. For a flying camel alone, I prefer a counter over a three turn entry. With these and front to back camels, it's important no to pop up between the spins and have strong positions in both legs.

TimDavidSkate
07-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Have you tried practicing off ice? I learned mine by somebody throwing me into it :lol: 8O Im still inconsistent with it, it depends on how my fly is. Sometimes short, sometimes too much.

flo
07-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Tim, how does someone throw you into it? It sounds like fun.

Hannahclear
07-18-2006, 02:29 PM
I do an edge entrance to the RI edge, just like I would for a backspin.

You have to have some ooomph, but you also must not throw one side lower than the other. Press whole your upper body forward as you take the three turn onto the back edge and lift your leg into a camel position.

beachbabe
07-18-2006, 02:34 PM
i learned it by doing a regular camel then getting down a bit and switching the foot like a change foot sit. I never really had any trouble getting a revolutuion or 2 doing it that way. The trouble came when my coach wanted way more revolutions and those just came with practice.

I have never tried a back camel alone- have only ever done it a combination spin or a flying camel which was a nightmare.

for me- learning it just as a change foot from a plain camel was fine.

doubletoe
07-18-2006, 02:57 PM
I actually find the flying camel much easier than the back camel and I have heard a lot of other skaters say the same thing. But don't try the flying camel on your own. You can fling yourself into all sorts of weird positions if you don't have your coach showing you how to do it, LOL!

flying~camel
07-18-2006, 04:17 PM
I actually find the flying camel much easier than the back camel and I have heard a lot of other skaters say the same thing.

ITA! The flying camel really helped me get the feel for the back camel, and now I'm getting about 2-3 revs out of the back camel in a camel-change-back sit. :P

techskater
07-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Flying camel was easier at first than a plain back camel and then one day, the back camel just came after mucho frustration.

For a plain back camel out of the inside edge, you must, must, must use your core to generate the spin along with a good hook. Your core has to be tight when you pull up into it.

Good luck! It doesn't seem as if these skills completely relate to a forward camel and these days I'd rather do a back camel or flying camel than a plain forward camel.

tidesong
07-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Same here flying camel helped the back camel feeling.
I started with forward camel-jump-back camel at first because even my flying camel take off was dodgy to say the least at the start.
From there I did eventually progress to flying camel and forward camel-change-back camel at around the same time and now I can do the plain back camel(although its still not the best.. dont think I can make 4 rounds on it).

TimDavidSkate
07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Tim, how does someone throw you into it? It sounds like fun.

it was, back when i was 15..:lol: , they would hold my hands and swing me sideways... 8O

flo
07-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Tim:8O indeed! I've always liked the flying part of the flying camel better than that pesky camel on the end.

TimDavidSkate
07-19-2006, 10:17 AM
I only attempt flying camels if and when head is together, I still have this fear of slipping off my forward edge. I also try to remember to keep my head up on the entrance. Then if my head is really together I would do a death-drop. My goal for this year is to have the butterfly mastered 8O ::scary:: Since last year's Silver Men's National Champ has one, I have to equal him with somethings.:halo: