View Full Version : Yellow Jersey or Back of the Peloton (Practice Thread 17-23 July 2006)

Sk8pdx
07-17-2006, 02:12 PM
While the Tour de France is going on, The title is up for grabs now that Lance is not riding. It should be interesting. There are quite a few strong contenders.

Yellow Jersey:
Took a rest from Loop frustrations and did not skate today. I feel a little at peace with it. Then I can re-tackle it at tomorrows practice.

Back of the Peloton:
Had a little setback with pairs this past weekend. Coach did not show for our first lesson for whatever reason. This has opened my eyes to some much needed evaluation in continuing pairs. :??

OK now what? It looks as though Flo started our lessons and practice theme before I could hit the post button ...?????

Debbie S
07-17-2006, 02:19 PM
OK now what? It looks as though Flo started our lessons and practice theme before I could hit the post button ...?????Well, we could use one theme for this week, and then the other for next week? :??

jazzpants
07-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Well, we could use one theme for this week, and then the other for next week? :??Under the timing circumstances of SK8pdx lesson/practice themes, I vote to use Sk9pdx's this week and flo's the next week.

Debbie S
07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Under the timing circumstances of SK8pdx lesson/practice themes, I vote to use Sk9pdx's this week and flo's the next week.OK, works for me! :)

Yellow Jersey: Had more success yesterday with BI 3's. My coach tweaked my technique a bit in lesson last week, so I'm now able to get on the FO edge after the turn, and the turns themselves feel quicker. I also feel like I'm getting closer with the flip. A friend at practice Thursday suggested that I was rushing the FO 3-turn and that I wait a bit longer to make the timing even, and that seems to be helping me feel ready for the take-off - I just can't get around all the way and land on 1 foot. I also did some clean loops - I tend to change my edge on the take-off. I just hope they appear for my lesson tomorrow.

Back of the Peloton (what is this anyway?): My backspin is on-again, off-again. Even when I got to the point where I could do it correctly in practice, I still messed up the exit in the program. And I messed up the sit spin too - my goal is at least 5 revs in a low (for me anyway) position. I was able to get in 2 run-throughs, but I would have liked them to be better. Competition is in 2 weeks!8O

flo
07-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Works for me! My cats will nap.
=^--^=

Terri C
07-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Yellow Jersey:
I think I did the best forward perim stroking pattern to date so far today on lesson with Secondary Coach. I actually got on inside edges!!!
Had a good back perim pattern and 5 step mohawk pattern as well.
Spins were good today too.
Overall, it felt good to be on the ice today and the ice itself was awesome!

Back of the Peloton:
Jumps have abandoned me, period. Fell on or bailed on salchow, could not complete toe loop/toe loop combo ( then it's really a bad day).
I think since Secondary Coach worked with me on moves today, I'm going to ask Primary Coach to work on freestyle tomorrow!

kateskate
07-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Yellow Jersey
Dance - Did a LOT of work on back change of edge as I have to do a forward outside 3 to back inside change edge to back outside then back outside twizzle. And I managed to do 3 or 4 that prompted a comment from my ultra perfectionist dance coach who usually looks like he can't find the words to start to correct my awful mistakes. Same thing happened with my loops - I managed at least 5 with decent big circle tracings - none of them were turns on the toe and none became double threes. Yay

Also didn't work on compulsories as coach said they were looking good and he didn't want to over work them to get stale (is he on something lately - good comments from him are few and far between)

free - Change foot sit is gradually finding its way back
I've been working on spins much more lately as I've always neglected them in favour of jumps. I'm actually making sure I ALWAYS do at least 4 revs on each position in the camel-sit. No being lazy!
Did a great run through of my programme - even with a good double salchow but at the last minute........

Back of the Peloton

.....I fell on my last jump - a flip. Can't remember the last time I fell on a flip.
How bizarre.
Had a slightly weird lutz moment - I was pulling it too far round the corner. Managed to fix it after a while though.
I still don't like camel spins. Will they ever feel right?

Dance - tried to do backward inside rockers. That was funny. Also managed to confuse my dance teacher by doing the newly changed end to the free dance in completely the wrong part of the rink. He had no idea what I was doing and neither did I.

Not ice skating but its still skating......went rollerblading and managed to fall over 3 times flat on my front whilst trying to go backwards. It was hilarious though. Didn't hurt at the time but it does now. Also managed to completely skate into my dance coach (who is also the rollerblading teacher) we both veered out of the way of each other but managed to crash into each other. He managed somehow to hold me up.

we tried one foot slalom on rollerblades - you have to use your knees and waist a lot more than on the ice. Good practice though.

The rollerblading teachers certainly get a good laugh from watching us

Sk8pdx
07-17-2006, 08:00 PM
OK, works for me! :)

...Back of the Peloton (what is this anyway?)

In the tour, the Peloton is the Group of cyclists that determines the average accumliated time of during the race. Teams or groups of riders at the front of the Peloton dictate the pace for other riders as well as having an advantage to initiate a breakaway from the rest of the group to finish each stage of the tour in first place. The cyclist who finishes the course of the race in the least accumulated time overall wins the yellow jersey. Basically riding in the back of the Peloton isn't the best position to be in. The Tour de France is really more complex than that, but that is the general idea. Hope that helps to explain. :)

jazzpants
07-18-2006, 01:30 AM
Back of the Peloton:

My right calf is still a bit tight today. Pilates guy really screwed me up on the calf...luckily, it's feeling better today, but it's still tight.
The ice is still CRAP!!! Seems the pipes behind is causing some sort of a dip half the length down the rink... 8O They're still trying to fill up that section and it's better, but there is still a noticable dip. (Hope it gets fixed by Wednesday morning, but I doubt it. :roll: (Rink manager is out of town.)Yellow Jersey:

Whatever I was able to do on the moves is still solid, though it was painful for the right calf to do the RFO3.Earned a bit of a rest from the ice, but I got the gym tomorrow! 8O I guess after Wednesday night, I'll take a break from exercise for a couple of days so I can rest up.

vesperholly
07-18-2006, 05:07 AM
Back of the Peloton: Smacked my head on Wednesday. Haven't done that EVER in all the years I've skated. :P Then, fell on my left side with my arm outstretched today. OW. Am walking crash dummy.

Yellow Jersey: Power pull-rockers coming along swimmingly. Did the best axel I've done in weeks 20min after smacking my head, and in lesson. Birthday Saturday!!!! :D

Mrs Redboots
07-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Yellow Jersey: Discovered today we'll probably be in Vienna just at the right moment to watch our friends skate in the Karl Schafer Memorial Trophy! Brilliant!

Not much good skating-wise, though, although glimmers of hope persist in showing themselves around my dance moves. But I still can't do them well for a whole lap, alas.... not really even for a length.

Back of the Peloton, if not Lanterne Rouge (Red Light - the person in last place): Ice was a bit iffy today - a couple of wet (but not sticky, thankfully) patches, and an area with chicken-pox.... lots of bumps. But it skated itself fairly even in the end, as these things always do. Waltz hold still not what it should be, and skating backwards in Killian hold - phooey..... Felt like my left arm was being yanked out of its socket, and I couldn't find a RBO edge for love nor money! Back chasses round the circle were a little better, though, but still not good. Solo they're coming-along-nicely, now, but not as a couple.

I just wish someone could take one look and say "Ah, that's what's wrong!" and tell us how to fix it, but right now that ain't happening. And until it does, not much chance of passing level 4 compulsories, to say nothing of winning the British Adults (which won't happen anyway, but it's nice to think that it might.....).

Rob Dean
07-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Yellow Jersey: Well, I relaxed enough to make it through the Swing Dance yesterday (twice, just to prove I could). Practice today; bonus lesson tomorrow; hopefully a decent week.

Back of the Peloton: I know why I can't consistently do that mohawk, but getting to the point where I can doing right without thinking about it is taking a frustratingly long time. Ah well, at least the Fiesta Tango is benefiting vicariously by all of this work.

Rob

(Don't follow the tour, but do ride a bit for fun; tough to find the time this year for all of the skating...)

Skittl1321
07-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Yellow Jersey- I just moved an now live 2 minutes away from a rink! The schedule is still going to be difficult to find skating time with, but at least now I don't have to factor in a 40 minute drive.

Back of the Peloton- I don't have a TV and am missing the second half of the Tour. Oh wait, that's not skating related- but it's my favorite sports event of the year.

mintypoppet
07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Yellow jersey:
Forward upright spins are starting to feel a bit spinnier, rather than consecutive 3turns, though the toepick is still my nemesis.

I think I'm getting closer to remembering the Canasta Tango (thanks again Mike!). How can a measly 14 steps be so hard to memorise?! :roll:

Saw a skating podiatrist yesterday, who has given me something to put in my skate and relieve the nerve that keeps trapping. They've also told me that my skates aren't a pair - the right skate is larger and twisted, which is why the blade feels as if it's wrongly mounted. Still waiting to hear from GAM about whether they'll replace them.

Back of the peloton:
Waltz jump-backspin - I scrape along on my toepick on landing rather than going into the spin. My weight's too far forward, and I think I need a stronger check.

The toepick suddenly disappears when I want it to be there for sidesteps. Tempramental little thing!

The ice was rock hard in the centre, a swimming pool around the outside, and covered in kamikaze students. Not great for practicing much.

Rusty Blades
07-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Yellow jersey: FIRST BACKWARD OUTSIDE EDGES!!! WAHOO! Finally, after 6 months things are starting to come together :mrgreen:

By the time my coach got to me for the first lesson, I was getting some reasonable speed on the backward skating - she was surprised how much stronger my backward was than last week. (She also complimented me on the improvement in the depth of my forward edges though there are still some posture and control issues.)

Between lessons, I started playing with backward outside edges on the goalie’s circle, both feet - By the time my coach got back to me in the second hour, I was getting the hang of BO edges!!! She was surprised again!

Back of the peloton: NONE! Well, except that my knee is bothering me - going to get referred to a sports medicine place and get my knees checked out. I have plans! - no time for bad knees!

Terri C
07-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Yellow Jersey:
It almost never happens, but spins were GREAT on my lesson with Primary Coach today. She asked me "if the planets were aligned." She was so pleased with spins that she has started me on sit-change-sit!!:D
She also worked with me on getting out of the jump funk and the loop and salchow are starting to reveal themselves again!!

Back of the Peloton:
It was just too crowded to do anything- I could not get a full moves pattern in- too many coaches teaching on the ice.
Still no sound system in our afternoon rink- tried to run program during lesson, but neither Coach or I could hear music. :roll:

tidesong
07-18-2006, 09:40 PM
yellow jersey:
at least I got on the ice and skated and landed jumps...

Back of the Peloton:
Everything was mediocre at practise! I landed jumps either skidded or wobbly the whole evening, my spins were just a bit slower than normal :cry:

Mrs Redboots
07-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Yellow Jersey: I managed some half-reasonable dance moves, I think. But they are still frustratingly not quite there. I stopped to breathe at one stage and someone said to me, sympathetically, "Tired?" "No, frustrated!" was the only possible answer.

Skater I haven't seen for at least two years was in today, and nearly had a heart-attack at the way I look now! It's nice to surprise people....

Back of the Peloton: I seemed to spend hours and hours this morning just doing back outside edges and trying (and failing) to get rid of the very slight toe-pick involvement I can hear on the LBO edge. RBO edge is reasonable, now, but the LBO is still dire. Mind you, Husband can't do it, either.

We think that tomorrow - no, Friday, tomorrow's Thursday - we will skate backwards hand in hand to try to get rid of my issues with balance when we're in hold. I do wish I knew how to deal with it. Neither of us can do a LBO edge worth a damn, and when in Kilian hold, I can't do a RBO one, either. Sigh. In waltz hold, we really focussed on our edges, but were both a little flat.

Least helpful coach comment ever: Skater attempts whatever it was she was trying to do and falls over.
"No, no, no!" says the coach.

blue111moon
07-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Yellow jersey: It was a spin night. :lol: For a change, every one I tried was centered and just felt EASY. I even managed a couple of semi-decent back spins on the gamey left ankle.

Back of the peloton - WAAAAAAAAAAAY back: Could not jump to save my life. Ankle hurt, timing was off, even waltz jumps were just hard, as if I'd never learned them before. Not fun.

quarkiki2
07-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Yellow Jersey:
Met Jessi (skittl1321) and found her to be absolutely delightful! And pretty good for only a couple months of lessons!

Was having a pretty good skating night -- my coach actually LIKES most of my spin -- windup looks good and the spin itself is good (nice and centered -- but since I only go around 3-4 times it's not really that hard to center, LOL!), but the choctaw still stinks. She wants me to be more aggressive with the push... uh-huh... When am I ever aggressive on the ice??

Showed her the circle footwork sequence from out synchro program -- all good and only one spot is a touch scrapey. This is a HUGE improvement from last year, BTW.

Then we worked on jumps -- toe loop walk-though is right, now I just need to jump. Joked about a salchow and then, because I joked about it, we started working on it. Walk through also good, but no air :( Spent some time getting my 1/2 flip and 1/2 lutz with more spring -- I think this might make it easier for me to actually get into the air for the toe and salchow. We'll see...

Back of the Peloton:
Jumps still aren't jumps. Back outside pivot is laughable. The dang choctaw in the spin. Same ol', same ol'.

Funny stuff: Skated on a busy public session -- not my normal lesson time, so I was a little thrown by the extra people on the ice. I think I'd been out there for all of two minutes when I was approached by a couple of kids who thought I was giving lessons and wanted help. I sent the to the hockey box to re-tie their skates after showing them how tightly mine were tied. And suggested they NOT wear the hoods of their hooded sweatshirts so they could see if someone faster was coming by. Dodged a 7-8 year old in hockey skates who wanted to lie on the ice for most of my lesson, LOL! And a young girl of about the same age who was practicing catch-foot spirals, shoot-the-ducks and lunges right down the middle of the ice without much regard for anything happening around her. Didn't want to squish her, so I bailed on a couple of spins.

On the other hand, the Saturday AM freestyle was empty last week -- just me and the ice for 1 1/2 hours -- only one pre-pre skater out there for about 45 minutes in the middle, but mostly just me. Wish I had a program to work on -- would have been primo practice time for that! But I did work on my MIF that require the entire rink -- the forward/backward perimeter powe stoking and power crossovers -- how nice! And the ice was fresh, too, so I could examine all of my tracings. What a dream! And all for the price of a regular freestyle admission... It will probably never happen again, LOL!

Debbie S
07-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Yellow: My loop showed up for my lesson last night and my coach now approves. Yippee! Now, I just have to get this blasted backspin consistent and I can test Bronze FS. I had a bit of success with it last night - my coach got me to rearrange my arms, which seemed to help when I practiced it. If only I could do it in my program run-throughs! :frus:

Back: Rink was very crowded, so not much room to practice my CM program. It was a little better in the second session I skated, but then about halfway through, a thunderstorm caused the power to go out for a second or two, then the auxiliary power kicked in but only half the lights were on. About 5 minutes later, the other lights came back on, but it was an eerie experience - I was skating around the end area when the lights went completely off and my first thought was that I was going to hit the wall - eeek!

jazzpants
07-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Back of the Peloton:

My secondary coach is evil!!! :twisted: She pitted me against our newly minted Gold Moves lady to do forward crossovers around the hockey circle!!! It was just awful!!! (So WeirFan06... just b/c I beaten 'ya doesn't mean I don't have MORE WORK to do to go faster still!!!) :twisted:

Still lots of work to do on my back crossovers too!!! OY VEI!!! My test is in two weeks and I got more to work on?!?!?! 8O 8O 8O

My forward crossovers on the CW side isn't as strong either. My right lower back/hip is very stiff today, so trying very hard to bend and hold a steady edge this morning.

Yellow Jersey:

Well, I survived??? 8O 8O 8O

Rusty Blades
07-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Back of the Peloton: I was awful stiff from yesterday’s 2 hour session - haven’t skated daily 2 hour sessions since March! - and I was tired as well so everything was a bit off, right back to forward edges and stroking! Still, I worked on a bit of everything in the first hour just to try to loosen up and get the flow back - nope, ain’t gonna happen when I am tired, stiff and sore.

Yellow Jersey: In the second hour, I decided to play around with the opening choreography for my program (which I am writing myself without yet having the skills to skate it 8O ) It involves alternating backward one-foot inside edges which I have never done :roll: By golly gee! With a little bit of experimenting (and lots of hip sway!) I started hitting the alternating BI edges - WAHOO, my first backward inside edges!!!! That makes 8 out of 8 of my September goals achieved and it’s only July! My coach came along for my second lesson and asked “What are we working on?” so I showed her my opening and she was thrilled with the back inside edges - “Keep working on those - those are really good deep edges!” :mrgreen:

dbny
07-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Back of the Peloton:
I think it's been two weeks since I've skated, and likely to be yet another before I skate again. We're leaving for our annual camping trip this Friday, but not starting to camp until Sunday (long story). Last year we were able to skate on Sunday after a 40 min drive, but this year the same rink hasn't yet posted their summer schedule, and the local skating club's web site now belongs to some other organization. Meanwhile, I have to teach on the week following our return. The way my skills disappear with lack of practice, my students may be skating better than I.

Yellow Jersey:
Not skating related, but, well, I am going camping for two weeks on a gorgeous lake in the Adirondacks where I will kayak, canoe, swim, hike, pick wild blueberries, watch the ducklings grow, listen to the loons, explore beaver ponds, and party around the campfire with friends, food and beer!

Thin-Ice
07-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Still lots of work to do on my back crossovers too!!! OY VEI!!! My test is in two weeks and I got more to work on?!?!?!

So you DO have a test date now!!! :lol:

flying~camel
07-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Yellow Jersey:

The waltz jump-1/2loop-salchow and footwork in my (Silver) compulsory program for Buckeye went really well last night.

Back of the Peloton:

Lutzes were not good last night. I landed 1 in about 5 attempts. :??

But, I was a little off after finding out that the possibility of my coach moving out of state is no longer a possibility - it's a certainty :cry:

jazzpants
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
So you DO have a test date now!!! :lol:SUPPOSEDLY!!! I should know the week before the August test session for sure! But I have specifically asked for the August test session!!!

Boy, I've had so many false starts in being nervous, only to find myself not testing anyway. I just hope this isn't one of those times! My coaches aren't that patient about things either!!! 8O 8O

Back of the Peloton: No lesson with Primary coach today! He's at Gay Games (and probably getting his beauty sleep! :twisted: :lol: )

flo
07-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Debbie - great news on the loop. ICOB has some extra sessions on Saturday afternoons if you're interested.

Good news from skate shop - my blades on my Harlicks still have a couple sharpenings left on them!

As for the dreaded backspin - keep working on it. mine was not really good untio I started on doubles.

Skate@Delaware
07-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Only skating-related as far as equipments goes (how about WATCHING people skate on your regularly-scheduled skating day but not GETTING to skate?)

Went for boot fitting today!!!!! It was a definite learning experience! Come to find out, we are ALL in the wrong sizes!!! (By all, I mean me, hubby, and daughter).

I am upgrading (as good a word as any) from Jackson Competitor to Elites, and getting a much narrower heel. Keeping the same blade (Coronation Aces). I was warned to expect a bit of pain and discomfort breaking these boots in...

Hubby is getting the Jackson Pro-Flex boots, mostly because of his limited flexibility in his joints (he has real issues with his joints). This boot should help him out a lot. He is also getting a synchro blade to "assist" him a bit more.

Daughter is also getting Elites (although she really wanted the Pro-Flex, but $$$ was an issue), and getting Legacy blades which is sufficient for her level (she has most of her singles and is working on her lutz and axel).

Rusty Blades
07-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Back of the Peloton: Still stiff from skating 2 hours/day -- guess I'll get used to it. Tired to, from getting ready for a 10 day trip (tomorrow a.m.). Everything was a bit shaky today again.

Yellow Jersey: Did more BO and BI edges and backward stroking. Nothing special today except my coach still loves my BI edges :roll: She tried to talk me into starting 3-Turns today but I said no, if I am going to break something, let's leave it until AFTER the vacation (work has "sick leave", skating doesn't! 8O )

Ya'll behave and I'll come back to bug you in August. (If you don't behave, I'll come back anyway! :mrgreen: )

DallasSkater
07-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Rusty blades...you crack me up. Have a good vacation. Those edges with a 3 turn in the middle are tricky at times so I think your decision was a good one! Glad to hear that the edges are progressing for you as I know you said they were quite a struggle.

Terri C
07-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Yellow Jersey:
Jumps felt huge today and spins are getting good and consistent!!

Back of the Peleton:
Moves sucked- well not all of them, but that power three pattern is driving me crazy. Took a flat spat on forward power perim stroking... can anybody say "TOEPICK?" Am a little banged up from it.

Combo of both:
As described above, I took a forward flat splat doing forward perim crossovers. Now that could be a Yellow Jersey thing. The fall today was the second fall this week- I took one on Monday on a salchow, so that sets a record for me for falls. As we all have heard at some point or another, "if you're not falling, you're not working hard enough."
Now the best thing about both falls is that I did get up and go for the element/moves pattern again, so I wouldn't be so chicken next time.

Sk8pdx
07-20-2006, 08:45 PM
....Went for boot fitting today!!!!! It was a definite learning experience! Come to find out, we are ALL in the wrong sizes!!! (By all, I mean me, hubby, and daughter).

S@D, that has to be a real bummer! :frus:

On the bright side, it is good thing since the whole family is addicted to skating, amnesia sets in quicker than if you have someone who just doesn't understand. After about 1 billing cycle, new skates for everyone won't seem THAT bad. After I found out that I was in a boot 3/4 size too large and posed the idea of custom boots, my husband gave me the look: 8O !! :lol:

tidesong
07-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Yellow Jersey:
First time running through footwork and artistic program with coach and I finished both in time with the music. (Hours of memorizing the program in my head while listening to the music paid off!)
Figured out what was off with the double salchows... everything fine with it confidence back

Back of the Peleton:
I cant remember some of the arm movements my coach just added for footwork and artistic programs (but I will figure someway to remember?!)
Flying camel is splotchy.

Mrs Redboots
07-21-2006, 05:25 AM
And about six steps back! I hate this sport, you get one issue solved and six more pop out of the woodwork!

Yellow Jersey: We finally managed to get our back chassés round the circle sorted, in preparation for continuing work on the Fiesta. I realised that if I were to do it solo, I'd have my right arm leading, and be looking at my right hand. So in hold, I need to push back with my right elbow and shoulder, and look over my right shoulder. Someone watched us and said I was still leaning on Husband a tad, but whether that is because I tend to lean out of the circle anyway, or because he is there, or because of the hold, I don't know. However, we actually managed this without scraping, which made a change. I did manage to do some quite good BO edges without the toe-rake - remembering to lift my opposite hip helped a bit. Thanks, Jenlyon60!

Back of the Peleton: But, of course, working on the end pattern of the Fiesta, where the real problem is is in the Mohawk. I don't bottle it, or have trouble with it, like some of the couples do, but I do have trouble getting a decent BO edge after it, and of course, unless I get a half-decent edge there, I'm not going to get the rest of the pattern. We will have to work through this on Sunday, I think.

My Level 3 Dance moves seem to have gone on holiday, don't know what happened to them this morning, but they were just not happening!

blue111moon
07-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Yellow Jersey: Another spin night (maybe it's just a spin week?). Camel got 3 revs in position. Sit is sitting and coach says the angle of the skating knee looks like more than 90 degrees to her. Layback actually lays back!!!! And I did what was probably the best upright of my life - at least 20 revs and the tracing was ONE CIRCLE!!! Coach was pleased.

Back of the Peloton: All jumps hurt my ankle. I have no clue why. Only way to land anything was to not jump, but sort of hop/step through and barely leave the ice which is not my style. Coach was not pleased.

So I went out for dinner afterward with another skater and smothered my sorrows in Honey BBQ sauce. :)

Skate@Delaware
07-21-2006, 07:29 AM
S@D, that has to be a real bummer! :frus:

On the bright side, it is good thing since the whole family is addicted to skating, amnesia sets in quicker than if you have someone who just doesn't understand. After about 1 billing cycle, new skates for everyone won't seem THAT bad. After I found out that I was in a boot 3/4 size too large and posed the idea of custom boots, my husband gave me the look: 8O !! :lol:

I figured something was up with this latest set of ill-fitting boots, as my heel was lifting out of the boot and would start aching then start HURTING after 30-45 minutes of skating. It will be interesting to finally have boots that fit, although I'm sort of worried about what the fitter said about breaking them in-there will be discomfort and maybe a bit of pain....although he did assure me that he could punch out any toe area that was tight (my toes are more square across and don't do well with pointy shoes or boots). We will see! Unfortunately, I won't have them quickly so that means not in time for Halloween Classic but they will be in time for my ice show (and rehearsals seem to be the way I break in my boots anywho). And, these are boots that I will have for a few years, even with the amount of skating I do.....

Anyone have any info on the Elite's as far as their break-in time?

Mrs Redboots
07-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Back of the Peloton: All jumps hurt my ankle. I have no clue why. Only way to land anything was to not jump, but sort of hop/step through and barely leave the ice which is not my style. Coach was not pleased.One of our skaters is having this problem, and she tells me it is because she is landing her jumps very flat - not landing on the toe and coming down on to the blade as she should. It didn't used to be a problem, but now her jumps have got bigger.....

Just a thought....

Careygram
07-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Back of the Peloton: Used my backside as landing gear all morning

Yellow Jersey: fully rotated most of what I was using my backside as landing gear for

Sigh....tying skate to back side.....:frus:

blue111moon
07-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the advice, Annabel, but it's just the stupid sprain I picked up in Moscow in May. The ankle just doesn't want to heal. Of course, maybe if I wasn't skating on it every other day.....:lol:

phoenix
07-21-2006, 01:10 PM
I am in final countdown to Lake Placid (Jenlyon is too!!)--I leave a week from Monday. So I now have 1 waltz lesson and one tango lesson left, and that's it!

Yellow Jersey: Today was tango, which was good in parts. He taped it so I can see some spots that are good, others that need some work. I think, overall, it's looking pretty decent.

Back of the Pack: I'm so freeking tall, that even when *I* feel like I'm skating w/ good extensions & sharp movements (for the tango), when I see it on tape it's all much slower & softer than I thought! Going to work hard on that this next week.

I somehow managed to lose my European Waltz CD, so I can't practice w/ music until my next lesson on Wed.! Not good!! :frus: ***Anyone out there happen to have it as an mp3 or something else that's e-mailable???

doubletoe
07-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I figured something was up with this latest set of ill-fitting boots, as my heel was lifting out of the boot and would start aching then start HURTING after 30-45 minutes of skating. It will be interesting to finally have boots that fit, although I'm sort of worried about what the fitter said about breaking them in-there will be discomfort and maybe a bit of pain....although he did assure me that he could punch out any toe area that was tight (my toes are more square across and don't do well with pointy shoes or boots). We will see! Unfortunately, I won't have them quickly so that means not in time for Halloween Classic but they will be in time for my ice show (and rehearsals seem to be the way I break in my boots anywho). And, these are boots that I will have for a few years, even with the amount of skating I do.....

Anyone have any info on the Elite's as far as their break-in time?

Sounds like you need a mixed width boot, and that it should be from a brand that makes their boots wider in the toes. I have what I call "duck feet" (narrow or normal heel, but wide in the ball and toes). I find that SP Teri's rounder toe box doesn't squish my toes, and they offer stock boots with one width difference (i.e., B ball A heel or C ball B heel) for just a little extra. I really wanted a C ball, A heel, but that would have required me to get customs so I just punched out the area around my pinkie toes and it has been okay. I also find that lacing the boot tighter in the toes and ankle but a little looser in the arch helps keep my feet from cramping. . . although you'll also find that there's less cramping as the leather starts to soften up.

Sonic
07-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Yellow Jersey:
Following the survival of my first free skate lesson in three weeks, I had my first dance lesson in three weeks on Wednesday. My foot wasn't too bad, and my Canasta Tango is definitely getting better.

Foot is still not quite right but seems to be getting better. Saw the doctor today who's referred me to a podiatarist[sp].

Best news - she said gentle to moderate excercise is probably good for it...her last words were 'Yes, that does mean you can still skate, but no tripple salchows!':D

S xxx

Skate@Delaware
07-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Sounds like you need a mixed width boot, and that it should be from a brand that makes their boots wider in the toes. I have what I call "duck feet" (narrow or normal heel, but wide in the ball and toes). I find that SP Teri's rounder toe box doesn't squish my toes, and they offer stock boots with one width difference (i.e., B ball A heel or C ball B heel) for just a little extra. I really wanted a C ball, A heel, but that would have required me to get customs so I just punched out the area around my pinkie toes and it has been okay. I also find that lacing the boot tighter in the toes and ankle but a little looser in the arch helps keep my feet from cramping. . . although you'll also find that there's less cramping as the leather starts to soften up.

That's what I am getting....can't remember the width across the ball (C I believe) but the heel is AA or AAA. I tried one on and man! what a difference!!! he didn't even have laces on the boot and my heel stayed put! I've never even come close to experiencing that with my current boot!

I'm not sure if he is going to heat-mold it at first....but I am happy with the time he spent with us. When the boots come in, we go back and try them on, then he mounts the blades and we skate on them and he does any "tweaking" right then. Then we pay the $$$$$$$ owed and off we go!

With the amount of time I am on the ice, I am hoping they break in quickly (I'm on about 10-15 hours, and once ice show rehearsal start it can jump up to 15-20 hours a week). 8O

Hannahclear
07-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Yellow Jersey:

Managed more than one back camel/back sit combo spin today, and managed to finish with a back scratch too! Very exciting. Now I just have to figure out how to switch from a back to a forward sit and I'll finally have a decent combo spin. :o

Figured out how to do a RBI 3 turn. My 3 turns in the field are getting stronger. I can stand up on all of them now. Though I have tendencies to lose control and have to hang on for dear life. I really feel that this will become a strong element for me, probably sooner rather than later, but I don't want to jinx.

Power pulls were a bit better and I figured out how to do an Outside Mohawk. I'm back with moves coach on Tuesday after a 3 week hiatus and I want to have something to show.

Jumps were all present and accounted for. I'm focusing on those I have to test next month.

Back of the pelaton:

Crowded public session, so I only got one lutz in and no lutz combos.

Learning an axel is frustrating. My coach says I'm getting there, but I don't really feel it. And I wish I could get my body to do the things my head tells me are required.

sk8pics
07-21-2006, 06:53 PM
I watched 4 adult tests today (bronze, silver, gold moves and gold free) and was inspired and discouraged at the same time, LOL! I'm feeling discouraged about my skating, but I think something is in the air, because I hear everybody saying the same thing: why am I here, what am I doing, I can't skate, I can't do this, blah blah blah.

So, told my primary coach I thought we need to do more moves work if I ever in my lifetime am going to pass bronze moves, so now we're going to spend one day a week on them. So that's a third of my lesson time with him, and plus my moves coach will be a little more time. Maybe it will help, I dunno.

So, today was the first day since last Sunday I could skate pretty well --I was off the ice with a leg injury (minor muscle cramp/pull) and on Wednesday I could only skate like crap because of that (it made me tentative and cautious and that never helps!) We worked on a forward to backward spiral sequence and it was good enough to earn me a high-five, so that was a Yellow Jersey. Then alternating forward outside 3-turns and forward inside 3-turns were pretty terrifying, but I managed with some help. Then we also worked on backward 3-turns. Can I just say that these are the scariest things ever?:giveup: I suppose they'll get better.

The most annoying thing about today was that the last session ended 25 minutes early because of a hockey tournament. Now, they've known about the hockey tournament for a year, do ya' think they could have posted the early end time? They have a bizarre freestyle schedule with 10 or 20 extra/odd session times, but somehow didn't bother to include today or even post a sign. No sign posted about Sunday's freestyles being cancelled either, but I knew enough to ask about that. I swear, you'd think that scheduling sessions was rocket science!:frus:

Happy skating everyone.

phoenix
07-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Then alternating forward outside 3-turns and forward inside 3-turns were pretty terrifying, but I managed with some help.

Just making sure.....you *do* know those are no longer on the pre-bronze test, right? There was a rule change almost a year ago. And there is a new pattern to take its place, which you can find on the USFS website....

See here for info (http://sk8stuff.com/f_rules/mif_test_elements_adult.htm)

Skate@Delaware
07-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Pat, I am glad I checked the scheduled....we WERE going up to skate on Sunday (hubby is off and we go every other week)....now we can't cause of STUPID HOCKEY TOURNEY.....:twisted: so no skating until Thursday. But for hubby, no skating for another 2 weeks, which means only 2 more sessions until our rink-opening exhibition skate. I hope he learns the routine in time (it's easy) and doesn't back out (I will have to hurt him then......)

Our rink does schedule changes like that too....and doesn't bother to post changes on the door or website.....annoying.

I was told yesterday that MAYBE there will be ice in Fruitland in August at a multi-sports complex. I'm going to wait and see. If anything does happen it will at least be a few weeks earlier than my rink opens and be much closer. Whether the hours are better is another story.

And, if you are going to the state fair, check out the ice show! Actually it's being held on the plastic surface....lasts about 30 minutes and runs daily at 2:30/4/8 every day of the fair. It has a country theme and it's very cute. Not a big surface but they are able to do spins and jumps. There are about 8 skaters (2 adults/2 teens/4 kids) in the show. I'd like to tape it and put it up...gotta check to make sure it's ok first.

ps-I've only worked on BO 3's once and they were freaky scary!!!!

icedancer2
07-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Just making sure.....you *do* know those are no longer on the pre-bronze test, right? There was a rule change almost a year ago. And there is a new pattern to take its place, which you can find on the USFS website....

See here for info (http://sk8stuff.com/f_rules/mif_test_elements_adult.htm)

FYI -- either pattern can be done before September 1, 2006 I believe.

phoenix
07-21-2006, 09:20 PM
FYI -- either pattern can be done before September 1, 2006 I believe.

??? I haven't heard this. It's not in the rule book, or the corrections to the rulebook :roll: that are given here (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=112).

If anyone is thinking of doing alternating 3's instead of the new pattern, I'd call the USFSA to confirm it's allowed.

Last I heard, the new rule took effect 9/1/05. Anybody else know about this?

Debbie S
07-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Last I heard, the new rule took effect 9/1/05. Anybody else know about this?That's true, but the first version of the rulebook that came out last July did not have the new 3-turm pattern in it and still listed the alt 3's as being on Pre-Bronze MIF. They were also originally listed on the test sheet, at least when I checked it out of curiosity last September. The rulebook I have (got it in January) does have the new pattern and has a correction sheet in the front that clarifies the Pre-Bronze MIF test as well as some other rules that were originally incorrectly stated. I assume that b/c of the mix-up in its official publications, the USFSA decided to let either pattern be accepted for the rest of the year.

I do hope the new (06-07) rulebook corrects the mistakes from the list of MIF test elements at the beginning of that section - it still has the slide chasses on the Silver test and the Novice move on the Gold test. The moves are listed correctly on the actual pattern pages, but it's easy to get confused. At my first lesson on Silver MIF, my coach commented that it made no sense to have the slide chasses on this level's test - I then informed her they weren't, and since she'd gotten this info straight from the list in the rulebook, she was understandably a bit confused (but relieved that I wouldn't have to do the slide chasses for a while).

Hey Skate@Del, Ice World in Abingdon, MD (Harford County) has FS sessions on Sundays from 10:45 to 1:45 (and then a power class). That's probably quite a drive for you, but at least it's something if you can't find ice elsewhere. They also have a public session on Sun aftn, I believe.

icedancer2
07-21-2006, 11:38 PM
About 1/2-way through the year, we judges (and I believe test-chairpersons) got a notice saying that both were allowed until September 06 because of the confusion in the rulebook. The test sheets have the new pattern but if the person does the consecutive 3s we are to judge it.

We had one adult last month who after finishing the new 3s pattern went ahead and starting setting up for the consecutive 3s -- she thought she had to do both. I think she was both confused and relieved when the judge-in-charge informed her that she didn't have to do both.

Sk8pdx
07-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Back of the Peloton:
Worked on Bronze moves today I need a lot of work on power 3s. Those are really my weak points. I hate 3 turns. I hated the 3 turn pattern in pre-bronze too. I know I don't rotate enough so they skid all over the place and I keep stepping on a diagonal turning into them. They are just :twisted: evil little creatures!

Yellow Jersey:
Other elements in Bronze moves that are making progress are Power Perimeter stroking which is completely quiet. 5 step mohawk is still my favorite. Thanks to only 2 little secrets shared from Icedancer2 which I haven't forgotten. My Primary coach wants me to compete up in Bronze MIF for our first USFS competition in September. I am making it a goal. Then I can test in December.

Worked on Loop jump. RBOE is slightly inching deeper into a loop jump entrance. I did it from a mohawk instead of a RFI 3. It is feeling more natural. Working on back spins too. (I had a dream last night that I just kept spinning and spinning and spinning.) Can't wait til that comes true! Club session was incredible! only 3 of us on the ice today which was bizarre in a good way.Coach and I worked on Toe Walley. Looks like I am taking the long scenic route to flip and lutz.

Skate@Delaware
07-22-2006, 06:27 AM
Hey Skate@Del, Ice World in Abingdon, MD (Harford County) has FS sessions on Sundays from 10:45 to 1:45 (and then a power class). That's probably quite a drive for you, but at least it's something if you can't find ice elsewhere. They also have a public session on Sun aftn, I believe.
That would be wonderful, but I already promised hubby we would work on our construction project....darn!!! :frus: We are putting a closet in our bedroom (sounds stupid but we have an old house and closets are sorely lacking) and we need to get it finished ASAP!!!

Thanks for the info, though, I really appreciate it!!!!

sk8pics
07-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Phoenix,
Yes, I know the alternating 3-turns are not on the pre-bronze moves test --although I didn't know about any allowance for them to still be done. We were just working on them because I need more control on my 3's. I'm working on bronze, already passed pre-bronze free, thank goodness.

S@D,
We knew last week about this Sunday's freestyles. But when I got on the ice at 5:05 yesterday, my coach still didn't know that the session was ending at 6:05! Rocket science, I'm telling you, it's rocket science.

Pat

icedancer2
07-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Yellow Jersey:
Other elements in Bronze moves that are making progress are Power Perimeter stroking which is completely quiet. 5 step mohawk is still my favorite. Thanks to only 2 little secrets shared from Icedancer2 which I haven't forgotten. My Primary coach wants me to compete up in Bronze MIF for our first USFS competition in September. I am making it a goal. Then I can test in December.

Hey, that is great! (Those who cannot do -- teach LOL!)

There's Bronze MITF at that September comp? Hey, maybe I will join you in that competition -- unless of course, the Power 3 is one of the Moves...8O

LilJen
07-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Back of the peloton:
-Didn't get my usual practice session in midweek, so last night it felt like I hadn't been on the ice in ages! Took QUITE a while to feel comfortable again.
-I'm leaving tomorrow for two weeks of vacation, and despite a couple hours of searching, calling, etc, there is NOWHERE I can get some practice in (and there are a fair number of rinks around!) within a reasonable distance. Rinks are either (1) closed for the summer or (2) under construction/maintenance during the exact time I could be at their regular public session so no public session. . . I'm reeeeeeeally bummed. I have a very severe case of AOSS. We'll see how "relaxing" this vacation will be without any skating in it. . . :cry:

Yellow Jersey:
-Since I know consecutive inside/outside forward/backward edges are on the pre-bronze test, I figured why not try some of the backward edges last night (FI and FO are in decent shape). Outside, check. Inside. . . aaaggghhh! until the very nice (and rather flirtatious) rink guard skated up to me and helped--by holding my hands and giving me a bit of a push around the rink a couple of times. So hey, I got a great start on BI consecutive edges! Whee!!!
-Forward power XOs/progressives are coming along. Whee!!

Skate@Delaware
07-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Back of the peloton:
-Didn't get my usual practice session in midweek, so last night it felt like I hadn't been on the ice in ages! Took QUITE a while to feel comfortable again.
-I'm leaving tomorrow for two weeks of vacation, and despite a couple hours of searching, calling, etc, there is NOWHERE I can get some practice in (and there are a fair number of rinks around!) within a reasonable distance. Rinks are either (1) closed for the summer or (2) under construction/maintenance during the exact time I could be at their regular public session so no public session. . . I'm reeeeeeeally bummed. I have a very severe case of AOSS. We'll see how "relaxing" this vacation will be without any skating in it. . . :cry:

Girl, just try to RELAX on vacation then!!! Isn't that what you are SUPPOSED to be doing??? (yeah, yeah, I know I'd be looking for ice too)...think of is as body-recovery time and do yoga/pilates or something.
Yellow Jersey:
-Since I know consecutive inside/outside forward/backward edges are on the pre-bronze test, I figured why not try some of the backward edges last night (FI and FO are in decent shape). Outside, check. Inside. . . aaaggghhh! until the very nice (and rather flirtatious) rink guard skated up to me and helped--by holding my hands and giving me a bit of a push around the rink a couple of times. So hey, I got a great start on BI consecutive edges! Whee!!!
-Forward power XOs/progressives are coming along. Whee!!

I didn't get the BI edges until my current coach told me to "hula" them...throw that hip WAAAAY over! Now I get it (and sometimes I do the hula-arms just to freak her out and make her roll her eyes).:roll: So good for you, it's quite an accomplishment because back edges are freaky and scary (in my opinion).

Stupid question of the day: What's the difference between power XO's and regular XO's (besides the obvious, power)???

techskater
07-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Most people consider power XOer the Bronze/PJ MIF with the inside edge/change side

mikawendy
07-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Yellow Jersey--
Got some good work in on moves and lutz attempts in lesson Thursday and in practice today. Got to run through my program twice today. Had a nice stroking class on Thursday. One exercise was really fun--really long drawn out flowy FO edges, working on flow and extension through the entire body.

Back of the Peloton--
Still haven't landed the lutz. Feels **this** close. I think I'm finally getting the feeling of pulling back to the picking foot, though, which feels really good (and different--much springier and softer--than my previous attempts).

Back threes are all wonky after the turn--not much flow or torso/arm control after the turn, and the lobes are weird shapes.

phoenix
07-22-2006, 06:39 PM
All Yellow Jerseys:
I had the ice to myself for an hour this morning (!) & worked on my European Waltz so it was really easy to see my tracings......found one huge mistake & worked on that (big surprise, not bending my knee into a stroke)....and worked on fixing other problems. So now I'm wishing I had *more* time to work on the dance to get it better & really get it under control. I must have a fever or something--No skater has *ever* wished they could work on the European more!

Also skated my tango OD 3 times w/ music, last time was the best, everything clean. If I could skate like that at Lake Placid, I'd be very happy. I'm trying to do at least 3 run-throughs every time I skate now...I want this program to feel like "coming home", so when I skate it I'll be relaxed & happy because it's soooooo familiar.

I also did what I should have done a month ago, and started working on just the first few steps of my straightline footwork (which I've had terrible issues with keeping up to tempo) by putting my music on & doing just those first steps, over & over & over again, at the correct speed. I do it every time I skate, at least 2-3 times around the rink. Today, after a week of this, I did it correctly every time, with no warmup required to just go out & *do* it without even having to think. Nothing like endless repetition to make you a great skater!! Sometimes I think that's what skating is all about--whoever is willing to do the most repetitions, wins. :??

jenlyon60
07-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Judges were sent an e-mail that said that either could be done through this current season. We were also sent a Pre-Bronze MIF test form with that printed on it.

??? I haven't heard this. It's not in the rule book, or the corrections to the rulebook :roll: that are given here (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=112).

If anyone is thinking of doing alternating 3's instead of the new pattern, I'd call the USFSA to confirm it's allowed.

Last I heard, the new rule took effect 9/1/05. Anybody else know about this?

phoenix
07-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Judges were sent an e-mail that said that either could be done through this current season. We were also sent a Pre-Bronze MIF test form with that printed on it.

Interesting. Would have been nice if they'd informed the coaches/skaters of the same thing! :roll:

Sk8pdx
07-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey, that is great! (Those who cannot do -- teach LOL!)

There's Bronze MITF at that September comp? Hey, maybe I will join you in that competition -- unless of course, the Power 3 is one of the Moves...8O

Oh please do join us! Misery loves the company of Power 3's! :lol: I am sure they will be one of the moves. You know that they would pick the hardest move to do. My coach wanted to do it as a way of testing the waters if I was ready to pass Bronze MIF or not. Plus it would give me a little exposure as to what it is like to compete in a USFS competition. I have only competed in ISI up until now.

Yellow Jersey:
In practice, I did about 5 back outside 3 turns today without putting my free foot down.-- on each foot, too! My coach will be so proud when she comes back from vacation!! That is the first time that has ever happened. Back inside 3s are going to be harder. I have been practicing toe wally's to get out of my loop and flip rut. It is a nice break away from my one-track mindedness. I get so focused on 1 element I want to master and If I can't accomplish it, I become frustrated with skating overall-- which really isn't fair to myself.

Back of the Peloton:
Had my first Pairs lesson today with Casey. I am so overwhelmed with information. Plus I am evaluating how much patience I can endure. :frus: As if I am struggling with having to wait on my own skating progression, I am now having to wait on his as well. I am leaving town on business for a week and then Coach is gone the week after so there will be 2 weeks in a row without another pairs lesson. Also the reality of traveling a long distance every week is starting to set in. :(

Debbie S
07-22-2006, 11:36 PM
My coach wanted to do it as a way of testing the waters if I was ready to pass Bronze MIF or not. Plus it would give me a little exposure as to what it is like to compete in a USFS competition. I have only competed in ISI up until now.I think an MIF (or compulsory moves or spins) event is a great way to get experience in USFSA competitions. Keep in mind, though, that many skaters who do MIF comps have already passed that level's moves test. There are exceptions, of course, but in the Bronze MIF comps I have competed in, almost everyone (except me) had passed the test, or had passed Bronze FS before the moves were required. I've also noticed this in MIF comps at other levels.

For this reason, I would not use your placement as an indication of your readiness to take the test. If a skater has passed Bronze MIF a year ago and is nearly ready to test Silver, there's no way you can compare yourself to him/her. And remember, passing a test is based on a concrete standard (yes, everyone, I know judging is subjective) and competition is based on comparison to other skaters. In any comp, some will place high, and some won't, but a low placement doesn't mean a skater hasn't met a test standard; likewise, a high placement doesn't mean a skater has met it.

What you and your coach might want to do, after your event, is see if the judges (or even just one judge) might be willing to talk to you and give you some feedback on how they might judge your moves on a test, and what you can do to improve.

Good luck and have fun!

Mrs Redboots
07-23-2006, 06:37 AM
Definitely Lanterne Rouge: I am quite sure that the nanobots which the Prince of Wales reckons are going to turn the world into grey sludge have been attacking my blades, and have made my left toe-pick grow at least an inch longer than my right! At least, that's what it felt like this morning.... I was doing lovely back cross-rolls on my right foot, and on my left foot they were scraping away as though the ice were a new potato! Horrible noise!

Worked a great deal with Husband in waltz hold to try and eliminate this, but not much success. Also worked on our Fiesta end pattern - again, difficult to improve. I know what's going wrong - I'm basically too off-balance after the Mohawk to get into position for the push on to the RBO edge quickly enough, and by the time I've got into position, it's time to step forwards again! But correcting it is another matter. It's better if I remember to turn my rib-cage into the circle and keep it there after the Mohawk, but still not good.

Yellow jersey: Back chasses round the circle were good, though, until Husband decided he was doing them wrong and corrected it, which meant he pushed right away from me! Ah well....

We did a Fiesta to music this morning which was okay, but only okay. Also two Dutch Waltzes, one of which went wrong (I forgot the steps, oops!) and one of which was okay, if out of time.

LilJen
07-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Girl, just try to RELAX on vacation then!!! Isn't that what you are SUPPOSED to be doing??? (yeah, yeah, I know I'd be looking for ice too)...think of is as body-recovery time and do yoga/pilates or something.

But Delaware, skating IS my escape and a method of relaxation. I can forget all my worries, work up a good sweat (and yet not feel overheated--quite an accomplishment in July in the Midwest) and feel like I've "worked" at something. . . but without taking away time from the paid work I'm actually supposed to be doing. . .

Stupid question of the day: What's the difference between power XO's and regular XO's (besides the obvious, power)???

Here's how it was explained to me: Rather than picking up & crossing over with the right foot (assuming we're talking CCW forward XOs), the right foot sort of swooshes in, in front of the left foot; meanwhile, the left foot pushes back & to the right (heel pointing down, rather than toe-pointing so you don't catch your toepick), so you're getting power from pushing off the left foot (after the "crossover" part of the move) as well as getting power from pushing off the right blade. Does that make sense? (More advanced & clued-in skaters, please correct me if I have it wrong.) It took several times watching the coach do it, plus standing at the boards with RF forward and LF crossed behind RF, as though we'd already done the push with the LF.

BTW, NOT a stupid question. I'd heard the terms "power XOs" and "progressives" for years and wondered what they meant. . .

Skate@Delaware
07-23-2006, 10:55 AM
But Delaware, skating IS my escape and a method of relaxation. I can forget all my worries, work up a good sweat (and yet not feel overheated--quite an accomplishment in July in the Midwest) and feel like I've "worked" at something. . . but without taking away time from the paid work I'm actually supposed to be doing. . .
I know....I feel the same way! :lol: When we went on vacation 2 years ago, we were going to skate, but found out the rink was closed for competitions....so my vacation was a total vacation!

Here's how it was explained to me: Rather than picking up & crossing over with the right foot (assuming we're talking CCW forward XOs), the right foot sort of swooshes in, in front of the left foot; meanwhile, the left foot pushes back & to the right (heel pointing down, rather than toe-pointing so you don't catch your toepick), so you're getting power from pushing off the left foot (after the "crossover" part of the move) as well as getting power from pushing off the right blade. Does that make sense? (More advanced & clued-in skaters, please correct me if I have it wrong.) It took several times watching the coach do it, plus standing at the boards with RF forward and LF crossed behind RF, as though we'd already done the push with the LF.

BTW, NOT a stupid question. I'd heard the terms "power XOs" and "progressives" for years and wondered what they meant. . .

So it is like a progressive? I can do crossovers and progressives (thanks to dance) with the underpush but never heard about the "power crossovers" before.

sarahg
07-23-2006, 12:54 PM
So it is like a progressive? I can do crossovers and progressives (thanks to dance) with the underpush but never heard about the "power crossovers" before.

I'm glad it's not just me that is getting slightly confused with terminology :lol: :roll:

Sk8pdx
07-23-2006, 03:38 PM
I think an MIF (or compulsory moves or spins) event is a great way to get experience in USFSA competitions. Keep in mind, though, that many skaters who do MIF comps have already passed that level's moves test. There are exceptions, of course, but in the Bronze MIF comps I have competed in, almost everyone (except me) had passed the test, or had passed Bronze FS before the moves were required. I've also noticed this in MIF comps at other levels.

For this reason, I would not use your placement as an indication of your readiness to take the test. If a skater has passed Bronze MIF a year ago and is nearly ready to test Silver, there's no way you can compare yourself to him/her. And remember, passing a test is based on a concrete standard (yes, everyone, I know judging is subjective) and competition is based on comparison to other skaters. In any comp, some will place high, and some won't, but a low placement doesn't mean a skater hasn't met a test standard; likewise, a high placement doesn't mean a skater has met it.

What you and your coach might want to do, after your event, is see if the judges (or even just one judge) might be willing to talk to you and give you some feedback on how they might judge your moves on a test, and what you can do to improve.

Good luck and have fun!

Hi Debbie S,
Thank you for your insights. :bow: I agree with you that there is no way I could compare myself to someone who has been in Bronze for a while and is ready to move up. I will leave the judging to the judges and skate for fun on this one. I would not expect to place very well that is for sure. If there is someone ready to move to silver that I would be competing with, it would certainly show me what judges expect and I can evaluate my progress from my peers as well as what the judges say. My attendance is merely for evaluation and exposure, not to medal. It is our first USFS Competition for our rink and I wanted to do at least *something* to participate. :) There aren't any pre-bronze events so I would skate up a level. Some goals are so worthy, it is even glorious to fail. .. or come in last which doesn't bother me.:P

I also agree that it may not be a *for sure* thing about passing. If the move I really suck at isn't one that is in the competition, well...more work may need to be done. I hope 5 step mohawk is in there. I like that one. I would pretty much count on Power 3's being one of the elements to skate. I hate those little vermin!:twisted:

I liked your idea about talking with one of the judges afterwards to get a little feedback on things too. I hope that would not be crossing any ethical barriers though. I will definitely ask my coach about it.
I will keep you posted on how it goes. 8-)

Debbie S
07-23-2006, 05:19 PM
I liked your idea about talking with one of the judges afterwards to get a little feedback on things too. I hope that would not be crossing any ethical barriers though. Definitely not. After you've competed, as long as the judges are available - coffee break, lunch break, or just a break from judging for a few events - it's fine to approach them and ask them if they have a minute to talk to you. If they say no, leave it at that, but usually judges are very willing to give feedback to skaters and coaches, so if they're not able to talk then, ask them what would be a good time. Since the comp is at your rink, maybe you could ask the hospitality chair to ask the judges if they could speak to you, but you don't need to go through someone. If you're nice to the judge(s) and you show genuine interest in what they have to say, and emphasize that you just want to know how you can improve (and not questioning your placement), they'll most likely be happy to talk. :)

jenlyon60
07-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Also... sometimes a judge may be willing to chat with you, but may want a few minutes to review their notes before chatting with you.

Thin-Ice
07-24-2006, 04:09 AM
I think an MIF (or compulsory moves or spins) event is a great way to get experience in USFSA competitions. Keep in mind, though, that many skaters who do MIF comps have already passed that level's moves test. There are exceptions, of course, but in the Bronze MIF comps I have competed in, almost everyone (except me) had passed the test, or had passed Bronze FS before the moves were required. I've also noticed this in MIF comps at other levels.

Good idea! If you can find a judge who was on your panel afterwards and they remember who you are.. remember, judging a bunch of events in a row, and getting short breaks, a lot of the skaters run together... although most judges do keep notes on each skater and each event. Or, you might think of this as your chance to feel the nerves/excitement performing those elements before judges.. and use THAT as your guide to whether you feel ready to test or not. Good luck!

jazzpants
07-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Yellow Jersey:

After warming up my crossovers a lot, first four moves are steady and strong!!! Yes, even the power 3's are pretty good.
Had some fun with the prelim spirals. Not to say that they are great, but at least I had fun attempting it! :twisted:
Attempted a couple of flips! Not bad.
Other jumps are steady, except for the loop
Spins are steady.Back of the Peoloton:

Well, not that bad... just wish it had more UMPH!!! But if I keep focused on my extensions and my edges, I think my 5 steps should be okay.
No loops! Am two footing the landing again!!! :frus: :giveup:

LilJen
07-25-2006, 05:48 PM
So it is like a progressive? I can do crossovers and progressives (thanks to dance) with the underpush but never heard about the "power crossovers" before

power crossover = progressive, according to my coach. According to her (and she's been coaching since the 60s) the freestylers saw the dancers doing these--just a few progressives (as in, 3 steps, and she did describe it as a 3-step move, in fact)--and how they got going really fast, and adopted them. Years ago I guess everyone just did "regular" crossovers. I have yet to look at old vids to verify whether this is true, but perhaps someone more obsessive than I can do that!

Skate@Delaware
07-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Well, I'm glad that I still work on them (even both directions). For some reason, they seem easier than the regular crossovers, maybe because I seem to bend more....maybe