View Full Version : The right balance...

BlueIcePlaza
07-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Excuse the pun regarding the question of balance, but have a look at the link below, and see what you think.

Is there a right sort of balance , as to skating in general? What I mean is: Is there some sort of threshold, whereby one should allow oneself to fall during practise? Let's just say, I'm certainly, what you may call a 'defensive skater' - i.e I hardly ever fall. I suppose this is not abnormal (I'm 31 years old), but of course it may inhibit progress in learning - no doubt many of you feel the same.
Should I be learning and practising falling more often, in conjunction with skating itself? I'm in the early stages, just doing edges, sculling, backwards skating, one foot glides, and in the very early realms of learning crossovers.
Any thoughts much appreciated.

http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/basicSkating.html#2.2

Paul.

phoenix
07-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I always tell my students, "if you're not falling, your not trying hard enough." :)

Yes, falling is a part of skating, and is definitely a part of making progress, pushing yourself past your comfort level. If you are always so careful to make sure you never fall, you won't progress very fast, if much at all.

Isk8NYC
07-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Practice falling and getting up. It really helps you when you have a genuine fall, and allows you to get up quickly (and safely) when you need to get out of traffic fast.

However, at 31, you'll probably feel foolish. Sorry, but it IS a useful skill...

BlueIcePlaza
07-15-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't mind falling too much - but it is just the fear itself, and sometimes even the fear of fearing falling! I have'nt had a fall for weeks and weeks, and have made some reasonable progress - but I'm sure I could speed up the crossovers, for one, but letting loose and falling!

Many thanks. :D

Skate@Delaware
07-15-2006, 05:16 PM
I am also one of those adults that rarely falls. I fall only when I have a migraine coming on or when I am tired. One of the coaches, who happens to be a therapist, thought that maybe skating was my neuromuscular-integration therapy!

Anyway, I have realized also it is because I was holding back a bit from pushing myself, mostly out of fear. So, when I worked on my flip jump, I "went for it" and fell. After that, I was ok with falling since I didn't hurt myself much.

So, teach yourself to fall correctly...let your body loosen up, and if you are falling backwards, tuck your chin so you don't hit your head. And find a good chiropractor!

sue123
07-15-2006, 07:54 PM
I have taken many falls also. You really don't realize how much you hold yourself back until you fall. I had a fellow skater dare me to do foward crossovers as fast as I could when I first started out. Being a semi competitive person, I agreed, so I'm going around, and shes yelling at me to go faster and faster. Of course, not wanting to seem foolish, I tried to go faster until I wound up losing control and falling. I didn't get hurt or anything, so it was fine. Apparently, that was what she had wanted to happen. She said I hadn't yet let go of myself, and figured I should let go sooner rather than later. Before that, I really wasn't falling much at all, I didn't think I was afraid, but I guess subconsioucly (sp?) I wasn't allowing myself to really test my limits.

Of course, now that I started falling, I can't stop. But I suppose it's not such a horrible thing. And I also dont' know if the way I started falling is the best method, but it worked. I just needed someone to force me to do it without me realizing it.

Chico
07-15-2006, 11:19 PM
Well I'm somebody who falls when she skates. Not all the time, but trying to always push myself if tends to happen. I got more bruises on my butt working on change foot sit spins than I'd care to admit. My husband actually said he should take pictures so I could keep a record of some of those shiners. =-/ I'm also getting some doozies TRYING to get clean axels. I don't like getting hurt but I do like the thrill of accomplishing my goals. I'm not talented enough to do this, so I deal with the dang bruises. I have skater friends who never fall, but they do tend to be more careful skaters. Being careful isn't bad if you understand progress will be slower. Sometimes I feel like a fool compared to my bruiseless pals but I enjoy the risk in a weird way. My old coach told me that falling in skating was a good thing. She said, "If you don't fall your not taking risks and pushing yourself. Your not growing as a skater." I guess I'm a weed some days. =-)

Chico

Sonic
07-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Following on from BlueIcePlaza's question, can anyone suggest where I can buy some knee-pads from (in the UK or online)? I got some roller-blading ones but they're no good - far too big and chunky so they totally limit flexibility?

Thanks,

Sxxxx

Mrs Redboots
07-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Following on from BlueIcePlaza's question, can anyone suggest where I can buy some knee-pads from (in the UK or online)? I got some roller-blading ones but they're no good - far too big and chunky so they totally limit flexibility?You could try Topskate (http://www.topskate.co.uk/index.html) or Bunty (http://bunty-sportswear.co.uk/main.html); failing that, ask your teacher.

DallasSkater
07-16-2006, 11:18 AM
I started wearing wrist guards and knee pads since starting freestyle classes and private coaching. I have been falling a bit but mostly just wearing them gives me the confidence to risk more than I think I do otherwise.

SkateDelaware: I am a psychotherapist and had to lol at your coaches response...too funny!

Isk8NYC: I read on another thread you would likely be moving. How am I going to talk you into Texas? From reading your posts I am sure I would love to have you at our skate school! Just don't research our summer weather temps or view my thread about skate school dynamics at my rink...giggle.

Sonic: Good question thanks for asking. I am in the rollerblade type ones too. I found that shopping around there were several types. I am doing better in the kind that have straps to hold in place rather than one stretchy piece of material.

Mrs Redboot: Thanks for the sites. You always have such good information! I will look at those. I have seen the ones designed just for figure skating. They appear to just be firm foam of sorts? I am concerned that it would not be as effective as a solid piece especially over the knee. Any thoughts about this?

Have a great day everyone!

Rusty Blades
07-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Fear of falling certainly has slowed my already glacial progress! Not conscious fear, but subconscious. I took a few good spills forward and my forward skating progressed quickly but I have yet to go down backward and I know that has slowed my backward progress. I don't worry about anything except my hips and tailbone ('cause I am not well padded there!) so I KNOW I need to wear padded shorts and fall a few times before I will really loosen up on the backward.

Clare
07-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Fear of falling certainly has slowed my already glacial progress! Not conscious fear, but subconscious. I took a few good spills forward and my forward skating progressed quickly but I have yet to go down backward and I know that has slowed my backward progress. I don't worry about anything except my hips and tailbone ('cause I am not well padded there!) so I KNOW I need to wear padded shorts and fall a few times before I will really loosen up on the backward.

Same problem here with my fear of crossovers- totally subconcious, I know. I've never fallen backwards when skating backwards, always forwards, landing on both knees- ouch. I think I would get to a point where my brain would suddenly realise I was moving backwards and freak out! I then, for some unknown reason, look down and it's all over!

Clare

Skate@Delaware
07-16-2006, 06:27 PM
SkateDelaware: I am a psychotherapist and had to lol at your coaches response...too funny!

I say that because she would ask...."where's your foot?" and i would say, "which one?" 8O and we would go back and forth and i would not know where my foot was and finally I'd get it right.....then we'd start with my arms....:frus: ....I have such poor body part awareness....but thanks to skating it is slowly getting better.

Now I just say "in the rink" and she elaborates as to which ONE and we start the Laurel & Hardy routine again.....

AndreaUK
07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Sonic

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELBOW-KNEE-PADS-ELASTICATED-NEW_W0QQitemZ180008162596QQihZ008QQcategoryZ90885Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I very highly reccommend these pads from ebay, they are available on buy it now. I have been using the exact same ones now for several weeks. They do not get in the way, they do not inhibit skating and fit around your elbows and knees like a sleeve. There are times I have taken a very hard fall on the knees and not felt a thing. Its a god damn pity I didnt wear them today becuase ive busted me kneecap and it looks like I wont be able to skate now until next week :( (Damn those public sessions)

Andrea xx

Sonic
07-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Sonic

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELBOW-KNEE-PADS-ELASTICATED-NEW_W0QQitemZ180008162596QQihZ008QQcategoryZ90885Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I very highly reccommend these pads from ebay, they are available on buy it now. I have been using the exact same ones now for several weeks. They do not get in the way, they do not inhibit skating and fit around your elbows and knees like a sleeve. There are times I have taken a very hard fall on the knees and not felt a thing. Its a god damn pity I didnt wear them today becuase ive busted me kneecap and it looks like I wont be able to skate now until next week :( (Damn those public sessions)

Andrea xx

Thanks Andrea - you're a star!

S xxx

flippet
07-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Is there a right sort of balance , as to skating in general? What I mean is: Is there some sort of threshold, whereby one should allow oneself to fall during practise? Let's just say, I'm certainly, what you may call a 'defensive skater' - i.e I hardly ever fall. I suppose this is not abnormal (I'm 31 years old), but of course it may inhibit progress in learning - no doubt many of you feel the same.
Should I be learning and practising falling more often, in conjunction with skating itself? I'm in the early stages, just doing edges, sculling, backwards skating, one foot glides, and in the very early realms of learning crossovers.
Any thoughts much appreciated.

Yeah, you definitely need to get 'loose' about falling. It happens, and if you're pushing yourself like you ought to be, it will definitely happen. Most falls do not cause injury, especially once you know how to fall properly. (Also, don't be afraid of speed...falls at a faster speed actually hurt LESS.)

Have you started learning shoot-the-ducks yet? My advice--get some nylon track pants (snug up the legs if you're worried about snagging a toepick in them) and practice two-foot 'dips' or shoot-the-duck prep.....and once you're down, just let go and fall--and sliiiiiide. Make like a little kid and play. :D You're much closer to the ice to start with that way--it's a nice, controlled little 'fall', and it's a lot of fun. I've found it a good way to help folks get over the abject panic of falling.