View Full Version : Anyone attending the Adult Weekend in Sun Valley, Idaho (Aug 17-20)?

TaBalie
07-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Link (scroll down to "Adult Skating Weekend") (http://www.sunvalley.com/resort_rec/skating_main.cfm). You have to download the registration form to view the schedule of clinics and events.

The weather and setting here is gorgeous -- I would love to meet some new skating friends :)

Sk8pdx
07-14-2006, 10:13 PM
It almost seems like the "Lake Placid" of the West coast. The event sounds like fun! Assuming it is an annual event, maybe next year given more preparation and planning for setting up vacation time etc...:)

TaBalie
08-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Just want to write a "follow up" on the weekend...

I had a great time! I would say there were between 30-40 adults from all over the country, from beginner level to quite advanced. I would say the majority were dancers, but a lot of the dancers did some freesetyle as well. I am freestyle only.

Thursday:
At 4pm we registered, got a goodie bag, and met the other skaters over refreshments and snacks. At 5:30 or so there was a Clinic on high and low level Dance turns, and half an hour later, one on Spins. Then there were several freestyle and dance sessions available for those who wanted to practice, take lessons, etc.

Friday:
Starting at 8:40, I atttended a Warm Up Clinic, and Power Stroking Clinic... There were again freestyle and dance sessions throughout the day (both on the outdoor and indoor rink). I then went to a Toe Jump Clinic and Edge Jump Clinic in the afternoon, and did some more practice.

Saturday:
Starting at 8:40, I attended a Clinic on the Art of the Edge, and another Clinic on Artistry on the Ice (which was tons of fun, all of us improvising and going nuts on the outdoor rink -- what a spectacle). We had a seminar on the new judging system which was really enlightening and interesting. In the afternoon more freestyle sessions, etc and a MITF clinic. Saturday evening I attended the ice show, which was featuring Sasha Cohen and Evan Lysacek (he was fantastic!).

Overall, I had a great time. I was local, so I didn't take any extra lessons with my coach, but I did use the extra ice time. There were several more dance clinics I didn't go to as well. I highly recommend this weekend for anyone, especially those on the West Coast.

cecealias
05-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Is anybody going to this clinic this year? I'm really thinking about going, if not this week, just for a week this summer to Sun Valley to skate and take classes. Would love to meet up.

TaBalie
07-03-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm going! Anyone here going? :)