View Full Version : loop jump and leg pain

froggy
07-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I've begun to work on my loop, I haven't yet landed it... maybe once 2 footed. I've been getting some leg pain, (i'm ccw), outer knee pain on my right leg and on my left leg which is really sore I have pain on the inner side of my knee and along both sides of my left calf. Does this make any sense? is it normal and should i just work through it? having taking ballet for the past 8 months and in PT for 2 months I would think my legs would be so strong but they seem to be proving me wrong.

Also on the enterance I have my right leg deeply bent, is it possible its too bent 'cause i thought there was no such a thing in skating of too deep of a knee bend?

Isk8NYC
07-14-2006, 04:14 PM
The right knee pain sounds like you're not positioned correctly on takeoff. A deep knee bend is good on this jump, but perhaps you're leaning to the right while trying to hold the deep outside edge. It's probably a slight strain.

The left leg really doesn't have to do a lot on the loop - it's not a two-foot takeoff or landing. Maybe you're two-footing the takeoff or you have an overuse injury that needs attention.

Instead of working on the rotation and landing, focus more on proper entry and takeoff mechanics. Just jump straight up and land without rotating -- it'll build up the "pop" of the jump.