View Full Version : Height & Rotation

ic3ang3l
07-14-2006, 01:41 PM
i have a problem with both of those mostly on flip and loop. i cant seem to jump that high, even off the ice...... is there an exercise i could possibly do that could help??? about rotation... i pull my leg in- turned out and too high (at my knee) is there anything i can do?

Thanks!

TimDavidSkate
07-14-2006, 01:57 PM
its hard to tell especially when we can't see you do it :cry:

But for you to get comfortable with loops I used to do a lot of back edge pulls, then i add the speed little and little and by then in a matter of weeks/months the height and rotation will be easy.

the flip is tricky, from squaring off your hips, arms, timing, and how you pick in and if the tracing of your take off is aligned to the toe, a lot of factors. But watch Kristi Y.'s, Angela Nikodinov's Flip timing, its the correct way.

If you have a way of videotaping of yourself and posting it here, then we would be able to give you better feedbacks.

doubletoe
07-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Are you talking about a single flip or a double flip?

lovepairs
07-14-2006, 03:09 PM
A lot of off-ice loop jumps will help this:

Try to bend in your ankel and push off for the jump without loosing your left shoulder and left hip. One young skater taught us to do this (off-ice) trying it pigeon toes, and boy did that work great!

Next, try to take these same feelings back onto the ice.

ic3ang3l
07-14-2006, 11:42 PM
both... but trying to make singles better and stronger for doubles... which i have problems w/rotation....

Thanks!!!

Sonic
07-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Some useful tips here - thanks.

Am getting to grips with loop, but like ic3ang3l can't get it very high. Flip - I maybe land one in ten (just).

As a kid I remember finding flip more difficult than all the other jumps - I even found lutz and axel easier.

I seem to just have a dud spot with anything salchow related!:frus:

S xxx

Skate@Delaware
07-15-2006, 10:20 AM
I seem to just have a dud spot with anything salchow related!:frus:

S xxx
I only started getting height on my salchow (and waltz) after hitting the gym and working my muscles more (walking lunges, squats, etc) AND remembering to bend MORE ;) ...do that and you can spring up more (it's hard to spring up while on straight legs).

techskater
07-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Make sure you are getting good down/up motion on the jumps. Your knees need to be very bent (the take off knee on the loop, the non-picking one on the flip until you complete the draw together). I am working on both these jumps (the double loop is there most of the time (70% or so), just a bit cheated, the double flip almost completely eludes me right now). When my coach decided it was time to work on both of these doubles, we probably spent 3-4 weeks of lessons on single loops and flips and changing the upper body from the "scoop" entry to "around" and making sure that the body was rotating straight in the air, not over either side and that the jumps lifted before rotating. Work on split flips and straight free leg and tuck loops to get a better feel for them.