View Full Version : Beautiful dresses :)

skating_life
07-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Well my mom always made my skating dresses.
She is really good at it and i love it, because no one ever has a dress the same as me.
This year i am trying to figure out a new design.
All i have figured out is that i would love it to be yellow.
If you have any pictures of beautiful skating dresses that i can get some ideas from, can you please post them?
Thanks.
(My music is fur elise)

dbny
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm sure you will get some very nice replies, but meanwhile, it would help a lot if you would edit your post to increase the font size and use proper capitalization. A lot of us here are adults, and quite a few are older adults, which means that it's very hard to read such a small font. Capitalizing where appropriate also makes for smoother reading. Both edits will help more people read your post, and so increase the number of helpful replies.

doubletoe
07-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Fur Elise, that's pretty! Last year Danielle Kahle skated a beautiful program to "Beauty and the Beast" at Nationals and had a very memorable yellow dress. Here are some pictures of it.
http://www.innovativestars.com/danielle/photos/2006Nats/3.jpg
http://www.innovativestars.com/danielle/photos/2006Nats/4.jpg
http://www.innovativestars.com/danielle/photos/2006Nats/8.jpg

skating_life
07-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Wow,
That is a really pretty dress .
Thanks for the help :)

VegasGirl
07-15-2006, 04:23 PM
May I ask how old you are? I mean child size or adult?

There are a lot of nice dresses out there but not every style suits all ages or sizes...

Skate@Delaware
07-15-2006, 04:59 PM
I remember seeing her in this dress....it was very pretty and such a nice color on the ice (although I was distracted by her hairclips and thought they should have matched her hair).

You have to remember not to go too pale a yellow as a very pale yellow does not look too good on the ice. I don't think there is enough contrast. This also goes if you are very pale. Yellow does not look good on everyone. Lavendar looks good also, but you have to also keep the same things in mind. My 2 cents worth....

dbny
07-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Great job with the editing, Skating Life! Thank you :). I like a lot of the designs at US IceWear (http://www.usicewear.com/).

mikawendy
07-15-2006, 06:52 PM
I like a lot of the designs at US IceWear (http://www.usicewear.com/).

dbny, thanks for posting that link. I like the designs, too. Do they ever run sales? (Their prices are a bit 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O for me, even for the dresses without stones!)

Skate@Delaware
07-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Beautiful but they are a bit pricey. I would not be able to wear them either. My torso is toooooo long. (back to the sewing room for me!).

LoopLoop
07-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Their prices might seem high, but I got my new competition dress from them, and it's amazingly well made. And they cut dresses to order, so you can have adjustments made to the sizing for no additional cost. (Mine was a split size, in a non-standard color, and I received it 10 days after placing the order.)

VegasGirl
07-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Check out www.greatskatebuys.com for many nice dresses... just bought from them and love the dress. I got this one:

http://greatskatebuys.com/j194.html

The only truly yellow ones are in the Children's Dresses section... must not be a popular color.

skating_life
07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
May I ask how old you are? I mean child size or adult?

There are a lot of nice dresses out there but not every style suits all ages or sizes...
I am 15 years old and probably maybe the smaller adult sizes. I am only about 5'1''.

doubletoe
07-17-2006, 03:19 PM
I remember seeing her in this dress....it was very pretty and such a nice color on the ice (although I was distracted by her hairclips and thought they should have matched her hair).

Yes, that's a pet peeve of mine, too! why is it these top level skaters will spend something like $750-$1000 on a custom-made dress and then put cheap drugstore hair clips in their hair that stand out like a sore thumb! I just spray the heck out of mine, but even if hairspray doesn't work for some people, there are always hair clips available in a color close to your haircolor if you just look. . .

flo
07-17-2006, 03:27 PM
You can also get a white one and paint it, and have the design you want.

skating_life
07-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks everyone.
I got great ideas from those sites. :)

Skate@Delaware
07-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Yes, that's a pet peeve of mine, too! why is it these top level skaters will spend something like $750-$1000 on a custom-made dress and then put cheap drugstore hair clips in their hair that stand out like a sore thumb! I just spray the heck out of mine, but even if hairspray doesn't work for some people, there are always hair clips available in a color close to your haircolor if you just look. . .
My hair is really fine and hairspray does NOT work, so I found this stuff called "Got2be glued" for spiking your hair. Here is how I get "perfect show hair"....

dampen my hair (not wet) with a spray bottle
put a small dollop of the spike stuff in my hand and spray a bit of water into it, smear and smoosh it around until it is like lotion
rub it through my hair
comb, then brush my hair back into a ponytail
add brown clips, because my hair is brown (duh!)

For the perfect bun (altho mine is more like a walnut cause my hair is shorter and fine)
Get a hairnet that MATCHES THE COLOR OF YOUR HAIR!!!
double it over....
wrap it around your ponytail (my tail is short so it goes around fine, if yours is long, wrap it around the rubberband and pin it)
keep wrapping it around until it is tight...
then pin it in place
spray the heck out of it!!!
add glitter as desired!!!! (I don't add much because I wear contacts, but I do glitter for ice shows, even though I'm 44) :lol:

jazzpants
07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Yes, that's a pet peeve of mine, too! why is it these top level skaters will spend something like $750-$1000 on a custom-made dress and then put cheap drugstore hair clips in their hair that stand out like a sore thumb! I just spray the heck out of mine, but even if hairspray doesn't work for some people, there are always hair clips available in a color close to your haircolor if you just look. . .I'm lucky! My hair IS black (or brown-black if you wanna go technical here...:P ) Of course, I also usually have a hairstylist to do my hair for a comp. I'm totally clueless when it comes to hair and makeup and would rather have someone go and do the hair for me. Same with makeup. (Though I am looking into learning how to do makeup from an professional MA so I know how to do it on myself, but this won't happen 'til I get back into competing again...better hope I pass my tests this year! :twisted: )

Good hairclips that matches your haircolor can be bought at professional hair and beauty stores, like Sally's Beauty Supplies (http://www.sallybeauty.com/)!

doubletoe
07-18-2006, 03:01 PM
My hair is really fine and hairspray does NOT work
That's so funny! My hair is as fine as it comes and I always assumed that's why I was able to get away with just using lots of hairspray and not having to clip it. I thought it was people with thick, coarse hair who had to clip it because the weight of their hair was too much for just hair spray. What a mystery. . .

jazzpants
07-18-2006, 03:05 PM
That's so funny! My hair is as fine as it comes and I always assumed that's why I was able to get away with just using lots of hairspray and not having to clip it. I thought it was people with thick, coarse hair who had to clip it because the weight of their hair was too much for just hair spray. What a mystery. . .MY hair is as fine as they come! (I'm Asian! Asians typically have very fine hair, but I digress from the point...)

You'd be surprised what a LOT of hairspray would do for an updo for me!!! (Of course, it also takes an good 45 minutes to an hour to get the pins out and another to wash off the hairspray, but that's another story!!! LOL!!! :P )

tidesong
07-18-2006, 09:36 PM
I suppose you or someone you know is going to custom make that dress for you?

In that case: the danielle dress is very obviously a disney beauty and the beast dress its a skatified design of belle's dress from that cartoon. So I would suggest going with some other design, infact I think her dress without the extra stuff on the neck and below the waistline would be very nice too.

If you just search "skating dresses" on google you can find many catalogs online with plenty of designs.

You can also search for specific figure skaters in the image search option (i think mai asada has very pretty dresses), you can look at their past costumes, you can think who is closer to your build type and search for them (then their costume style might fit you better too)

Hope these helps!

doubletoe
07-18-2006, 09:51 PM
You can also search for specific figure skaters in the image search option (i think mai asada has very pretty dresses), you can look at their past costumes, you can think who is closer to your build type and search for them (then their costume style might fit you better too)

Hope these helps!

Yes, there are lots of skaters who have nice dresses to inspire ideas. I always like Kimmie Meissner's dresses. They are pretty, but never overdone.

Mrs Redboots
07-19-2006, 06:31 AM
Of course, I also usually have a hairstylist to do my hair for a comp. Well, it's your coach's day job, no? Useful, that! I saw him doing Daisies' hair at AN in Overland Park.... very useful, that!

Skate@Delaware
07-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Once I was taught how to do the "ballet bun" thing with my hair and got it working for me I was good to go. That's my competition/ice show hair.

I do my own makeup. Only because I'm 44 and pretty good at it by now...although it does generate looks when you run into the store for hair nets, bobby pins, etc before or after the shows....heavy makeup, glitter, etc on a 44 year old woman! It's even funnier when my daughter, aged 17, is with me!!

jazzpants
07-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, it's your coach's day job, no? Useful, that! I saw him doing Daisies' hair at AN in Overland Park.... very useful, that!Yes (though it's hard to determine which job is his "day job"... :P ) and yes, quite useful! ;)

sk8_mom
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
My daughter's hair (like mine) is very very fine. Nothing seems to hold it. After a near disaster when hair pins and scrunchy fell out during a doubletoe, she wouldn't let me put it in a bun or use pins. But the ponytails just looked so raggedy.

After searching out the synchro boards, we have a new solution - I put her hair in a bun (like the ballet bun with a hairnet), but instead of pins, I take some embroidery floss and a short wide needle with a dull tip, and "sew" her hair in by weaving the needle thru the hairnet and then grabbing a chunk of hair from her head. If you use embroidery floss that matches your hair color, and then stick a scrunchy overtop, then its virtually invisible. I don't think you could do this by yourself though, it would probably require another person to do the sewing. And so far, so good, everything stays in place!

Oh, and to take it out - just pull on the end of the embroidery floss, and it comes apart (except for the gooey hairspray mess!)

NCSkater02
07-19-2006, 06:22 PM
there are always hair clips available in a color close to your haircolor if you just look. . .

Try matching red hair.

When I competed two years ago, it was short. Now it's long and I'm not sure what I'll do with it when I compete again. I like to skate with it in a ponytail or partially pulled back, so some of it flows free. We'll see next year.

mikawendy
07-19-2006, 07:53 PM
After searching out the synchro boards, we have a new solution - I put her hair in a bun (like the ballet bun with a hairnet), but instead of pins, I take some embroidery floss and a short wide needle with a dull tip, and "sew" her hair in by weaving the needle thru the hairnet and then grabbing a chunk of hair from her head. If you use embroidery floss that matches your hair color, and then stick a scrunchy overtop, then its virtually invisible. I don't think you could do this by yourself though, it would probably require another person to do the sewing. And so far, so good, everything stays in place!

Oh, and to take it out - just pull on the end of the embroidery floss, and it comes apart (except for the gooey hairspray mess!)

Thanks for the tip, sk8_mom! I knew synchro people sewed their hair in (as bobby pins are illegal and grounds for disqualification if discovered in any skater on a team), but I'd never known how they did it. I also thought that they used a regular sewing needle (and thus was afraid to ask someone to do it on me), so it's good to know it's a blunt needle instead.

And to the original poster (skating_life), there's one dress that I really like that might fit with your music. It's a layered dance dress by Body Wrappers that could be stoned to make more fancy. There's a picture at this site (http://www.discountdance.com)--click on Dresses, then click on shop by brand, then click on Body Wrappers, then click on Show All and scroll down to see style P701 (bottom right picture).

Mrs Redboots
07-20-2006, 05:12 AM
When I wore my hair slightly longer than it is now, I would always use a Stylee comb (http://www.stylee.com/) to put it up with (and shedloads of gel, too!). It was really good, as you didn't need grips or pins, and I had - still have - rather too many of them, in colours matching all my skating dresses.

icenut84
07-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Sarah Meier (Switzerland) had a really pretty yellow dress for her Finding Neverland SP last season:

http://www.skatecanada.ca/fr/events_results/events/mcsci05/news/images/meier_sp.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/MireilleG/2006Euros/Ladies/P1010693copy.jpg

Skate@Delaware
07-20-2006, 04:51 PM
That is a beautiful dress!

And I see she is wearing a crystal hairclip/comb....nice touch!!

Now I want that dress!!!!!

luna_skater
07-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the tip, sk8_mom! I knew synchro people sewed their hair in (as bobby pins are illegal and grounds for disqualification if discovered in any skater on a team), but I'd never known how they did it. I also thought that they used a regular sewing needle (and thus was afraid to ask someone to do it on me), so it's good to know it's a blunt needle instead.

To be accurate, USFS is the only federation that outlaws bobby pins in synchro. Some people use fishing line as an alternative to embroidery thread. "Sewing" your hair in is mainly a US thing. Lots of Canadian teams use knox gelatin (the stuff you make Jello with). You add a packet to boiled water (how much depends on how strong you need it) and then "paint" it onto damp hair using a paint brush. This is what synchro swimmers do, and it keeps even the most stubborn hair back. About 10 years ago, I had short (2-3 inches long), curly, THICK hair and had to get my hair in a high bun. Knox and a "donut" did the trick.

Those of us with really short hair used to knox our hair and sew in our fake buns one day, and then sleep with our hair like that overnight so we wouldn't have to re-do it. In the morning, our hair had a lot of grey flakes, but they disappeared if you wet it with a warm washcloth. Our hair didn't move an inch overnight and was ready to go for another day of skating.

Mrs Redboots
07-21-2006, 05:18 AM
I take it that "bobby pins" are what I'd call "kirbigrips", the kind with a Y-shaped end and bobbles on the short side, and the ends are close together when not in use, rather than "hair pins" which are U-shaped and more open?

VegasGirl
07-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Yes, that sounds like bobby pins, look here:

http://mp.hairboutique.com/_images/products/55303_350.jpg

Mrs Redboots
07-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes, that sounds like bobby pins, look here:Definitely kirby-grips, thanks!