View Full Version : Skate School Dynamics....

DallasSkater
07-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Ok...now that I feel integrated and I gave fair warning that I had tons of questions for this board....Know that I considered how to put this as I feared it may sound offensive. I cannot think of a better way to ask then directly. So if it is offensive...forgive me please.

I would like some information about coaches and skate school. I have considered changing but my research thus far has yielded that I might not need to as it may be a dynamic at all rinks.

There seems to be a lot of conflict between all the coaches in my skate school. There is also a severe lack of professional judgment and I will even say just plain social judgment about sharing this conflict with the students ....including me. I have been mostly successful at redirecting from it, but it is sooooo bothersome and disruptive. My current class was changed to a different day and time and then we were moved to a completely different coach 4 weeks into the semester due to the trauma and drama between them. It is frustrating me to no end because my individual coach...that gets big bucks from me weekly! giggle.....is no exception. In fact, since I notice it in all the coaches there, I do not believe changing coaches there would help me. I have decided not to discuss anything at the rink as I believe it would only give fuel to a problem that looks like needs no help in maintaining intensity. So I am asking here.....

I strongly considered moving rinks. However, I can tell by listening to the students at the other rink that the problem is the same there. It has been suggested to me that this is just part of being at rinks. Basically I was told that conflicts are common place among coaches as they are competitive by nature and they must compete for each student to have a full load. (I am in Texas,,,,there is more Hockey here). Moreover, it is said that they do not keep their dirty laundry hidden at any rink. I am told that there is conflict between figure skaters, hockey, and regular public skaters and that the politics of each rink is typically felt by regular consumers of the rinks in any category. I am hesitant to join an area skate club as I was told that the same dynamic is going on there too! I know if I want to one day compete, I will eventually have to join. However, I am still new enough and paying more money to get smack dab in the middle of anything else so dysfunctional does not sound like too great of a deal to me for now...whew. I feel better just stating it! giggle.

....Do you think this is true of most rinks? Wondering if there is value in searching for a different rink. I absolutely love what I am doing and will not let this stop me but sure would be nice to find a calmer place. So far the only decision I have made was to take a second skate school class at another rink next semester to get a feel for it personally. I will take next semester at my rink as well. Practices are fine at my rink. I guess the only time it is really impacting is during lessons and getting around the staff and coaches. Since this is my paid time. It sure feels violating! At least I only take lessons twice a week! giggle.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Rusty Blades
07-13-2006, 07:57 PM
My experience isn't deep (I have only been skating since January) but it is broad. Being "older" I share the dressing room with the coaches and I have skated at 4 different clubs now and been around (maybe) 20 different coaches. At worst I have heard a little griping about one or two coaches, usually younger, but (from what I see) it may be justified. In the main, they all seem very professional and if there are any personal differences, I have seen nothing in public. If anything, I see a lot of mutual respect and concern.

This may be a geographical anomoly since I skate in a major city that is far removed from any other skating community.

dbny
07-13-2006, 08:15 PM
I have experience as both a member of skate clubs and as a coach at three different schools. I and my family had an incredibly ugly political experience with our first club that involved a coach getting nutty and nasty and her little coterie of adult students and parents following along. Although that coach is now gone (not before dumping on one of her primary supporters), and I still have friends in that club, I would never go back. No one, not skaters, parents, nor coaches, is willing to risk their skating to defend or even support anyone who is in any kind of conflict with the powers that be. We joined another club where there were politics, to be sure, but no insane looney out to wreck skating for anyone else.

As a coach I have experience just the opposite of what you describe. In all of the schools where I have worked, everyone has been careful to air thier grievances in private (with one exception - but there were extenuating circumstances). Open conflict is bad for business, and badmouthing other coaches is against the code of ethics of the PSA. I have found other coaches willing to share their knowledge with me and generally pleasant. Of course, I am no threat, as I only teach beginners. Coaches do talk among themselves, to be sure, but it is private and is not done within earshot of students/parents. That said, I am always very careful of sharing my opinions.

Hope this helps.

Isk8NYC
07-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I can't understand why group lessons would be rescheduled unless there was a rink or weather problem. Conflicts among the staff is inexcusable and you should have been given an apology along with some compensation for the inconvenience.

As DBNY says, everyone needs to vent at some point, and I'm certain there are other coaches who talk trash about me behind my back. I'm very lucky right now to be on staff with two very professional programs, but I will tell you I've coached in rinks where everyone badmouthed everyone else. It wasn't discreet or a one-time issue. I've seen people badmouth coaches to the parents of their skaters, in the hopes of poaching a student. It's an embarrassment.

The reality is that the programs at those rinks start losing students, then the head pro gets replaced. The key is to replace that person with a professional. Why don't you check out the head pro at each of the rinks and see what you find out? Tell the skating director about your concerns.

TaBalie
07-13-2006, 10:44 PM
I say look for another rink... I skated from 7-15 competitivley, and on and off since then (I'm 30), and been at rinks all over the country and overseas. There are places where people are professional... When I was in my early twenties and living in Atlanta, there seemed to be more drama than I experienced anywhere else, but I still found a wonderful professional coach that didn't get involved in the silliness.

Best of luck, I know you'll find a nice rink and coach! :)

Chico
07-13-2006, 10:56 PM
I've only skated at one rink seriously. Still, my rink has politics. I hate this by the way. I've found that trying to be kind to everyone and staying out of the crap works very well. When anyone trys to gossip my ear off I just say, "I stay out of this sort of thing." Of course, there are times when someone talks anyhow...and then I just listen. No comments though. No fun, but it just is.

Chico

doubletoe
07-13-2006, 11:03 PM
It sounds like you are handling this very wisely. Checking out the scene at a different rink without letting go of what you've already got at your current rink is a smart way to see what your options are. :)

Mrs Redboots
07-14-2006, 03:00 AM
I don't know if it's ubiquitous, but it certainly is world-wide! It happened at our rink a bit, too, although things seem a very great deal better now. I deal with it by totally refusing to take sides (there are faults on both sides, and one or two who just like to stir up trouble when things are dull!) and being friendly with everybody.

Thin-Ice
07-14-2006, 03:02 AM
I skate at 4 different rinks each week.. and each one has its own culture, even though they are within an hour's drive of each other. Two of them are very supportive of ALL skaters (including the adults) and the coaches all seem to like one another (even if they're not all best-buddies, they do respect each other and the students). At the third, there is a lot of one-group v. another-group of coaches and their various students. The fourth only has 3 coaches who act very professional and are civil but are not necessarily warm and inviting to each other. I think you're idea of trying out other rinks and seeing how they "feel" is a good one.

I do notice though that there is a figure skating v. hockey v. public skate tension at most rinks... because in almost all cases, we all want the same thing: the best ice and the best times. But I've never seen an all-out war between the factions.

Good luck!

DallasSkater
07-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Rusty blades: Oh how I love your screen name!

Thanks everyone...I am delighted to learn that it is not everywhere. I know there are politics in every field. My rink is the closest to me but the other one is not too bad. We have surprisingly several options in my area. Some are difficult to get to because DFW is a traffic city. I want good accessibility to maximize my skate opportunities and work with my schedule otherwise.

Very encouraged to hear from the instructors/coach viewpoints too. Special thanks to you for taking time to respond!
Thanks!

kayskate
07-15-2006, 08:06 AM
IMO, it is a good idea not to tie yourself down to one rink. You will probably want to skate at as many as possible, whenever their schedule meets your needs. As an adult, it can be hard to find ice time that fits your schedule. Go wherever you can for practice. You may want to settle w/ one coach, but why not skate everywhere? It is also good to get comfortable skating in different places if you want to test/compete, plus you meet a wider variety of ppl and have more experience. Don't burn your bridges at a rink either. You never know when you will need its ice, and you want to go there feeling comfortable and confident.

Kay

Sonic
07-15-2006, 08:22 AM
DallasSkater - as others say, I think you are doing the right thing by keeping your options open. You've got nothing to lose by at least just testing the other rink out.

I Haven't noticed this kind of rubbish going on at our rink, thank goodness (though I'm not yet a member of either the figure or dance clubs yet, and I may to some extent be viewing it with rose-coloured glasses!).

However, when I skated as a kid I do remember this great big falling-out between two of the coaches - for months it felt like a 'them-and'us' situation depending on who you were having lessons with!

The sad thing is - incredible though this sort of behaviour is - it seems to go on everwhere, in all sorts of activities and in all walks of life. It seems pathetic that grown people act like this.:cry:

S xxx

DallasSkater
07-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Kayskate: Good advice. I think that the issue is financial as I am able to skate packages at my rink. If I spread out, I can participate in some other packages as well.

Sonic: It sure does go on everywhere...ageism, classism, sexism...etc. and now to find SKATISM! Who knew! giggle. It is disturbing but I am so excited about participating... I will find a way to cope. I refuse to let it get in my way of enjoying this sport.

Have a great day everyone...off to the rink!