View Full Version : Imagination and music

AndreaUK
07-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi

I dont know why but for the last few weeks every time I hear a piece of music I imagine myself skating to it. A full routine in my head and im spinning, gliding, flying all the rest of it you know how it is....mad thing is when i visualise this stuff Im always a million times better than I actually am. LOL

Does anyone else do this or am I totally off my rocker these days? :twisted:

Andrea xx

chantelly
07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
I can do it all the time I'm not looking for a piece then the second I am nothing is quite right! So no you're not mad! unless I am too!

TimDavidSkate
07-12-2006, 11:56 AM
From experience; just a warning the first 5 to 10 times you put it on the ice will be frustrating and tiring. The program will start to feel ok after a few weeks of consistent runthroughs. Then overtime, in at least 5 or 6 years you will feel good at just putting on a piece of music and improvising. As well as skating to things fresh off the bat. I always pick my music last minute at the competition. Or when I find something I fancy during the week, I will make a cut then skate that program at least 2 days before my event :halo:

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Does anyone else do this or am I totally off my rocker these days? :twisted: I think the question ought to be, does anybody not do this? Every skater I know does it! And if the radio is on in the rink and nobody wants their music played, we'll often improvise.....

We'll have to get you competing in the improvisation classes at Bracknell next year!

TimDavidSkate
07-12-2006, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs Redboots]I think the question ought to be, does anybody not do this? Every skater I know does it! And if the radio is on in the rink and nobody wants their music played, we'll often improvise.....QUOTE]

Yeps, its fun, you never know what you can come up. Its a nice challenge. (To look like youre having fun and connecting with the people who are watching you) I have learned what moves go with what music piece, knowing your timing-phrasing on the ice just in time for the crescendo, practice your difficult jumps and spins within the program, and know really which style you love to skate to.

Evelina
07-12-2006, 01:24 PM
I think it's safe to say everydone does indeed do it. I definitelly do, and yes, my friends think I am a little mad, but then those who don't skate can not be expected to understand!

Evelina

Sonic
07-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Mintypoppet and I were having this very same conversation last Saturday.

So no Andrea, you are not the only one off your rocker lol!:P

S xxx

mintypoppet
07-12-2006, 02:43 PM
And I told you that we were among like minds here!

BTW, I need to send you an mp3 that would make the composer turn in his grave :twisted:

Skate@Delaware
07-12-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm also a better skater in my mind than in reality!!!!

But, it's a good thing because visualization can really help you improve your skating! When you get "stuck" on something, just visualize yourself skating it perfectly....eventually it will get "unstuck"

I'm hoping one day for my imagination and my body to meet in the middle!