View Full Version : New skater

misskathleen
07-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Just wanted some advice. I am 47 years old and I want to get back on the ice. Here's my story. Skated a little as a kid on frozen ponds. Got on the ice again 2 years ago for the first time since I was little. Was getting a great feel again for the ice. Taught myself how to skate backwards. Then after just two weeks, I did a stupid thing and tried to jump (was wearing the rink's skates) and fell and broke my leg. I now want to get back to skating again, but need to purchase "real skates". I was fitted for Reidell Medallion. Does anyone have a recommendation as to the brand of skate I should buy? Thanks.:)

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi, MissKathleen, and welcome to the wonderful world of adult skating!

If the Riedell Medallions fit you, go for them. The thing is, we can't really recommend skates for you as everybody's feet are so different, and what one person swears by might be a total torture chamber for someone else.

If I were you, I'd ask your fitter for a good, basic pair of beginner boots and blades - they will last you through the learn-to-skate levels.

And do go to classes or hire the services of a teacher - it really is worth the money!

misskathleen
07-12-2006, 12:16 PM
thank you very much. should I try on skates from a different company? I've only tried Reidell

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
thank you very much. should I try on skates from a different company? I've only tried ReidellIf you reckon the Reidell will fit you, go for them! If you think they're too wide or too narrow, then ask to try on another brand, but otherwise don't bother!

garyc254
07-12-2006, 12:45 PM
what one person swears by might be a total torture chamber for someone else.

And do go to classes or hire the services of a teacher - it really is worth the money!

Never was there truer advise.

Welcome misskathleen!!!

I didn't start skating until I was 48, so know that there's hope. I can't do the things that I could have if I had started much younger, but I truly enjoy my skating.

8-)

doubletoe
07-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Jackson also makes entry level figure skates that are a good value for the price.

jazzpants
07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
thank you very much. should I try on skates from a different company? I've only tried ReidellBy all means, you should try different brands to see what they're like. I mean they ARE YOUR feet!!!

In my particular case, I've had Riedells and they were okay for me, but the arches proved to be hell over time and the toe box even MORE hell. I also had to get the toe box stretched a few times so it won't squeeze the sides of my foot.

I'm now on custom Harlicks with orthotics and it was perfect from the first day on! :D But keep in mind I have to go from beginner/recreational skates to beginning/intermediate FS skates. YMMV...

Welcome back on the ice!

Rusty Blades
07-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the addiction misskathleen!

DallasSkater
07-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Misskathleen: First let me say how sorry I am that you had such an unfortunate accident! eeeeeek. Very impressed that you are ready to try again...you daredevil you! I cannot even image attempting a jump without instruction. In fact, I remember the bunny hop in my lesson taking quite a few psychological minutes to warm up to the fact that I was expected to lose contact with the ice! giggle. With good instruction I have become more confident.

I just bought quality skates and chose Riedell brand. I ended up doing a custom pair because I wanted them to be a perfect foot match. I did have to spend extra but went for a boot that was above my abilities and were rated for everything I think might be possible for me to learn as I did not want to keep replacing them. I am so glad I did as I did not even have one day of what everyone told me would be a "break in period" I did go for three fittings and then it took 4 weeks to get my skates but all worth it in the end. I understand that most of the instructors at my rink suggest the Riedell 280's for people who plan to do skate school and are in beginning levels and they had a variety of sizes already available in stock. They apparently will go through all single jumps and come with a blade. It was more expensive to do it my way as I had to buy blades in addition to the boots as it did not come as a package. It is fun to now look at my skates and know that they can do all kinds of neat elements that I can't! giggle.

There is a store in my area that apparently sells used skates. I also think there are quite a variety available used on EBAY too! Good luck in your search and WTG for returning to the ice!