View Full Version : Competitions in Florida?

Stormy
07-12-2006, 08:05 AM
My best friend moved to Ft. Lauderdale, and since I am looking for any and all excuses to go down to Florida now, is there any good/adult competitions in south Florida? I remember the Sunshine Adult Challenge, is that still going on?

Ice T
07-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Hi Stormy,

I live in Tampa on the west coast of Florida. The Sunshine Challenge has not been able to happen again, which is a major bummer. It was a great adult comp! Unfortunately, there are no "adult only" comps in Florida right now. However, there are several club comps throughout the year that offer adult events.

In February, the Incredible Ice rink in Ft. Lauderdale has a competition. Then in April, the Central Florida club in Orlando has the Florida Open. May is the Sunshine State Games (but I think you have to be a Florida resident to compete).

My club has a competition every end of July called the Orange Blossom Open. It offers all the adult events (freeskate, compulsory, jumps, spins, etc.), and there are usually several adults who compete in it. Visit www.tbsc.net for the details.

In September there is usually a comp at the JP Igloo rink in Ellenton (just north of Sarasota). That is hosted by the Southwest FSC.

One of our Florida USFSA judges hosts a website that keeps up to date with all the competitive news. It is: www.floridaskating.com

It's probably not too late to get a late entry in for Orange Blossom if you want to visit Florida in the summer. Hope to see in Florida sometime!

Ice T