View Full Version : I think that maybe...

Hannah
07-11-2006, 05:24 PM
... we are all crazy. As loons, as ducks, take your pick. Explanation follows:

I managed some weak waltz jumps this last Sunday (they were so fun that I rinsed and repeated about 100 times, probably ingraining some sort of bad habit), with the end result being that I have big multi-color bruises on both knees and one hip, and despite spending a lot of time the last couple days making friends with a couple of ice-packs, all I can think of is how REALLY REALLY FUN it is to fly for a moment. And that's only half way around!

I searched the forums today to find the name of that homeopathic remedy for bruises (arnica! found it!), and was struck by the number of injuries, minor and major, that skaters happily deal with just so they can get back to sliding and flying on the ice. So, I guess we are all crazy...

I love you guys! :D

doubletoe
07-11-2006, 10:39 PM
All true. But as addictions go, it sure beats crack, and may even be slightly cheaper, LOL!

NCSkater02
07-13-2006, 07:00 PM
All true. But as addictions go, it sure beats crack, and may even be slightly cheaper, LOL!

But only slightly!:lol:

SkatingOnClouds
07-15-2006, 03:28 AM
Well my last obsession was playing the cello. Cellos cost a lot of money, as does the sheet music, accessories, the better bow that you just know will make all the difference to your playing, the lessons, and of course the better cello than you already have.

Skating isn't a cheap sport, that's for sure, financially or time-wise. My husband doesn't get it, but all he sees is the big grin on my face, and even he has to admit it is worth every dollar to see me feeling that good.

Crazy? A 46 year old, overweight woman zooming around in a "twinky little outfit" ? You bet !!!

Sonic
07-15-2006, 05:30 AM
Crazy? A 46 year old, overweight woman zooming around in a "twinky little outfit" ? You bet !!!

lol! I bet you don't look half as daft as I did in my skating dress!:lol: Let's just say I've got bumps in places where there shouldn't be any...and am lacking in bumps in places they should be.

Several people have commented I've become a different person since taking up skating again in January - so who cares!:lol:

S xxx

Rusty Blades
07-15-2006, 06:46 AM
Crazy? A 46 year old, overweight woman zooming around in a "twinky little outfit"

ROFLMAO!!!

Sorry! Add 11 years and I can identify with that 8-) (and with Sonic's bumps!)

When I told co-workers that I was getting back into figure skating, they asked if I wore a "tu-tu" just before errupting into fits of laughter :roll: Somehow it just doesn't fit the image of a 5' 9" "engineering & construction project boss" who can leave a big burly construction worker quaking in his boots or climb up on a D-9 and show them how I want it done. If I told them I was building a rink, they wouldn't bat an eye lash but SKATING????

Crazy? Yup.

looplover
07-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Somehow it just doesn't fit the image of a 5' 9" "engineering & construction project boss" who can leave a big burly construction worker quaking in his boots or climb up on a D-9 and show them how I want it done. If I told them I was building a rink, they wouldn't bat an eye lash but SKATING????

Crazy? Yup.

I love it!!!!!

I'm a little type A in the office and probably on the ice as well. My boss asked me if I couldn't just take up yoga as a hobby instead.

Yoga's ok, but it's no hang-time waltz jump (now that I finally do them correctly and jump OUT of the circle)

ouijaouija
07-15-2006, 08:05 AM
i wear knee pads so I saved myself so many bruises compared to without, but yesterday i fell a lot of times on my knee (i trip over the toe picks a lot)the impact managed t somehow cause a painful knee, i can't bend it without getting a big pain behind my knee, and i have my first lesson tomorrow!

Sonic
07-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I love it!!!!!

I'm a little type A in the office and probably on the ice as well. My boss asked me if I couldn't just take up yoga as a hobby instead.

Yoga's ok, but it's no hang-time waltz jump (now that I finally do them correctly and jump OUT of the circle)

Somehow it just doesn't fit the image of a 5' 9" "engineering & construction project boss" who can leave a big burly construction worker quaking in his boots or climb up on a D-9 and show them how I want it done. If I told them I was building a rink, they wouldn't bat an eye lash but SKATING????

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Since the office found out I started skating, I get the tutu jibe too ...my answer is always: 'Not yet, I'm saving it for the olympics' 8-)

My boss said he was pleased I was doing something to keep fit, but his face was more like 'oh-oh-not-another-one-of-her-crazy-projects'.

S xxx

mintypoppet
07-15-2006, 09:22 AM
my answer is always: 'Not yet, I'm saving it for the olympics'

I like it! :D

I frequently get the "So you ponce around on the ice in a sparkly dress?" comment from people. I reply that no, I ponce around on the ice in a tracksuit. Obviously.

Mrs Redboots
07-15-2006, 11:27 AM
i wear knee pads so I saved myself so many bruises compared to without, but yesterday i fell a lot of times on my knee (i trip over the toe picks a lot)the impact managed t somehow cause a painful knee, i can't bend it without getting a big pain behind my knee, and i have my first lesson tomorrow!Make sure you turn your feet out more, that way you won't trip over your toes so much.

I frequently get the "So you ponce around on the ice in a sparkly dress?" comment from people. I reply that no, I ponce around on the ice in a tracksuit. Obviously.You wait until we get you into competitions - aren't you going to compete in this year's Oxford Seniors, if they have it? I'll get F & M on to you..... to say nothing of Sonic!

mintypoppet
07-15-2006, 04:12 PM
You wait until we get you into competitions - aren't you going to compete in this year's Oxford Seniors, if they have it? I'll get F & M on to you..... to say nothing of Sonic!

Oh no, don't you join the press-gang! As I've told all of the above - and a few more - NO.

I can stand in front of a crowded room and give a talk, but the idea of skating in front of people scares me witless. This may well change once I have more ability and confidence in my skating... but not just yet. I need to lose the stunned-bunny expression first.

Until then, I'll be cheerleading. Now where did I put those pom-poms...

Mrs Redboots
07-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Oh no, don't you join the press-gang! As I've told all of the above - and a few more - NO.

I can stand in front of a crowded room and give a talk, but the idea of skating in front of people scares me witless. This may well change once I have more ability and confidence in my skating... but not just yet. I need to lose the stunned-bunny expression first.

Until then, I'll be cheerleading. Now where did I put those pom-poms...I still think you ought to have a go - I was probably a heck of a lot worse than you are now when I started out, ask FRBskate, ask anybody! Probably still am, solo - I'm a lot better with a partner and after last year's Oxford, have definitely given up on solo dance. I think.

Actually and seriously, it's a quite different sort of fear to public speaking - but if you can make your nerves work for you in that, then you can for skating, the technique is exactly the same, breath control, getting centred, that sort of stuff.....

samba
07-16-2006, 09:45 AM
When I told co-workers that I was getting back into figure skating, they asked if I wore a "tu-tu" just before errupting into fits of laughter :roll: Somehow it just doesn't fit the image of a 5' 9" "engineering & construction project boss" who can leave a big burly construction worker quaking in his boots or climb up on a D-9 and show them how I want it done. If I told them I was building a rink, they wouldn't bat an eye lash but SKATING????

Crazy? Yup.

Hi Rusty, I wouldnt mind betting they are right behind you really, when I came 2nd in the Adult British, I returned to my desk the following Tuesday to find it was covered in Balloons and bunting, I was also presented with a large bunch of flowers.

mintypoppet
07-16-2006, 10:19 AM
I still think you ought to have a go - I was probably a heck of a lot worse than you are now when I started out, ask FRBskate, ask anybody! Probably still am, solo - I'm a lot better with a partner and after last year's Oxford, have definitely given up on solo dance. I think.

Actually and seriously, it's a quite different sort of fear to public speaking - but if you can make your nerves work for you in that, then you can for skating, the technique is exactly the same, breath control, getting centred, that sort of stuff.....

Hmmm, I wonder whether we have any blokes in LTS. Perhaps I could corrupt one into partnering me and improve my skating that way? :twisted:

I am improving, and I'll probably want to compete at some point, but I'm just not ready yet. I do appreciate the vote of confidence, but I still feel like I'm at the flailing-arms-and-toepicks stage - ask FRBskate ;)

NCSkater02
07-16-2006, 02:14 PM

Hey, this is me, too, but subtract three years. However, I'm less overweight than I was 4+ years ago when I started.