View Full Version : The ice is more magical than I remembered!

FitChik
07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
I skated for the first time in 1 1/2 years on Sunday and was terrified that I would have lost it all, not only my abilities but my love for skating. Well it was far from that and I'm more in love with the ice than ever! It actually felt not only 'natural' to be back on, but I was able to do a bunch of moves (was working on Silver when I left) and even 2 waltz jumps. Didn't push my luck beyond that and left feeling so happy and inspired. It's been a tough year for me as I went through treatment for cancer (chemo, surgery, radiation, etc.). I missed skating during that time but just didn't feel as though I could give it the proper energy and dedication. It appears that I'm done with treatment for now and I'm soooooooo excited! Finances have dwindled due to medical co-pays (each chemo infusion costs over $10,000!!!!), but I know that there will be a way for me. I'm even thinking of trying to get to Adult Nationals in '07!

NEWAYZ, its great to be back (my old screenname was pairsk8r I think..?) :D

doubletoe
07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Welcome back!!!!
I think once the pressure is off and we have no expectations of ourselves, we often skate better. Not to mention we always skate better when we're feeling in love with the ice! :D

Sonic
07-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi FitChik

I think it's amazing you've recovered and are back skating. That must have taken a lot of guts and determination - and with that attitude I'm sure you'll make the adult nationals next year.

S xxx

samba
07-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi FitChick

Welcome back, it sounds as though you have had a long and hard road to run, it's good that you have set yourself some goals and given yourself a good name-sake.

All the very best of luck to you and dont forget to keep us informed of your progress.

I take my hat off to you :bow: :bow: :bow:

Samba
xxxx

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Welcome back. I wish you clean ice, sharp blades and continued good health.

cassarilda
07-13-2006, 09:08 AM
oh good, there is hope for me yet!!

Im currently going through chemo for Hodgkins, and whilst my doc here has said its ok for me to go ice skating (YAY!!!), I know I wont be going as regularly or as hard as I would previously...

But its good to hear about life on the "other side" as such. :)

Rusty Blades
07-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Hey welcome back FitChik!!!! 1-1/2 years isn't too bad. Glad you got back on the ice.

I wrecked my knees at 19 and had knee problems for more than 15 years and didn't get back on the ice until 36 years later. After that long away, there is NOTHING left and I have started all over again. It's a heck of the blow to the ego to be out-skated by 7 year olds :roll: LOL!!! Now, after 6 months, I am just re-learning backward edges but this time I'll skate until they make me take the blades off my walker 8O :mrgreen: The seven year olds might be out skating me now, but I will out last them!

skating_life
07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
wow,
congrats on getting back on and feeling the magic!
i find it even hard after the summer to ge most of my jumps back.
so good job after 1.5 years! thats amazing!
good luck in persuing your skating into a higher level!