View Full Version : Confessions of a Lurker

DallasSkater
07-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I recently found this forum and am so excited! I have a severe case of the Adult Onset Skating Disorder and have not found a proper place to display my symptoms. I was so delighted to see my very own symptoms running so rampantly on this forum!

I started skating in skate school in January. I was doing some serious wall hugging. I quickly found that I was powerless over skating and that my life had become unmanageable without re-enrollment to the advance classes, adding private coaching and skating 3-5 times a week! My wall hugging days have ended. I am currently spinning, jumping and even did my very first salchow this weekend!

I am particularly delighted to see the older adult skaters posting as I am currently 43. Who knew that I would be skating, risking hips, wrists and knees at this age! I have learned a ton from you guys just from lurking the threads the last few days. I am full of questions but thought I should first say howdy and gently integrate before overwhelming the board with my every addictive question or fully demonstrating my pathology for this sport! giggle.

So glad you are here! I look forward to posting with you regularly. Could not figure out how to register as it sent it to my spam folder. I felt so rejected! giggle again. I needed to ask a 7 year old how to work this site but did not have one handy. Will slowly add my questions over the next couple of weeks!

froggy
07-10-2006, 09:12 PM
welcome aboard!

happy skating

Sk8pdx
07-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi DallasSkater,
Welcome! I am visiting your area the end July by the way. Hopefully I can take in a Public Session at Grapevine. Soon you start planning your whole life around your Rink's skating schedule. And don't ever plan on moving unless it is within 1 hour driving distance to the nearest sheet of ice. In fact 3 1/2 hours drive is not even so bad to skate pairs. AOSS is one of those things where the more rampant, the better and more fun! :lol:

DallasSkater
07-10-2006, 09:27 PM
LOL Sk8pdx....my life has already started revolving around that skate schedule. I have rescheduled my work around my private lessons! My friends now call me skater girl and claim I am not doing as well in nurturing those relationships with my time as I am always on my way to skate, skating, or too tired because I just skated...giggle.

I skate at Polar Ice in Grapevine. Careful of public sessions. School is out right now and there are day camps coming in daily in little herds of tiny ice obstacles. Freestyle time slots are better! Is that the rink you will be coming to? What brings you to Grapevine?

Sk8pdx
07-10-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't want to hijack your thread :halo: Check your PM for details there. :) I am traveling there for Business.

tidesong
07-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Welcome! Look forward to you posting about skating and stuff :)

DallasSkater
07-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Froggy: Thanks for the welcome! I love your screen name...too cute!

Tidesong: Thanks to you for the welcome as well. Geez, I should have been more creative on my screen name selection. You guys have really cute ones!

Sk8pdx: Thanks for the PM. Took me a while to figure out how to get to it. Will have to wait until at least tomorrow to figure out how to respond to one. (Did I mention my lack of a 7 year old? giggle My fur baby is no help what so ever). I am techology challenged but can usually eventually figure things out. That is my rink! Will send you a pm tomorrow....if I figure it out..lol. Glad you will get to skate while here!

Good night everyone!

doubletoe
07-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Welcome to the 24-hour ice obsession fix!
Better late than never, and, as they say, "It's never too late to have a happy childhood." :D

SpaMama
07-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi DallasSkater!
We too have been planning our lives around Polar Ice Grapevine since about November when one dd started groups, then seriously in March when said dd started privates and second dd started groups. Pretty much there 4 days a week skating lessons and/or the public times that are near the lesson times. I must say I have gotten a lot of paperwork done sitting at those metal tables!
The forums are great, because we are pretty new to the sport, and I have learned so much at the forums so I don't have to ask their coach a million silly questions - most of them are answered right here just by lurking!
(I am a serious lurker! :lol: )

Maybe I will get the courage to get on the ice someday...............

Spa Mama

dbny
07-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Welcome, DallasSkater!

In replying to PM's the only way is to click the "Quote" button, and then edit out whatever you don't want quoted in your reply. There used to be a "Reply" button, but it's been gone quite a while now. Hope this saves you some time.

samba
07-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Wow you have certainly got the bug Dallaskater.

Welcome to the insane world of skating!! You have achieved quite a lot since January, may your progress continue but dont forget the basics now, its at the begining when you really learn them and much harder if you leave it till later when all the bad habits have set in, as in my case and in competition and tests you will be marked accordingly.

Cheers
Samba

lovepairs
07-11-2006, 05:45 AM
Hi Dallas!

We just returned from Dallas, Tx from the Adult Nationals competitions! It was held in the skating rink that's in the mall. I know that the Grapevine Polor thing is all over TX and has several rinks, but we skated in the one in the mall!

Welcome aboard Dallas! I might mention that it might be a good thing to start looking into taking out a second mortgage on your home right about now! It's really worse than a cocain additiction and you sound totally hooked!

Best,
Lovepairs

For fun, visit: www.adultpairskating.com

FallDownGoBoom
07-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Spinning, jumping and salchowing after just seven months?

Shut ... up.

:bow:

DallasSkater
07-11-2006, 06:41 AM
doubletoe: Too funny on my attempt of a second childhood! Truthfully, this might be childhood 3 or 4.....giggle.

SpaMama: I so do hope you will consider the classes! We need more adult skaters at that rink so they will offer more variety of adult classes. I practiced a ton over the winter during adult "coffee time" and had the entire rink to myself! Have you noticed the progressive increase in the adult numbers in the groups each semester? I even arranged a special class through the skate director for this semester! Would have never happened without the numbers available. That is awesome that you are starting your girls young. I am always blown away when I see the tiny bodies doing incredible elements beside me and have some envy for their abilities. Seems that those that started so young have the grace and technique I so desire. The skate director even mentioned that she is now considering an adult syncro team for our rink to compete with the Texas Chili Peppers! How cool is that? I told her I would likely be interested but would need to see the "uniforms" first as I fear sleeveless at 43! giggle. Hope she will actually do that. I will have questions for this forum about some dynamics I have noticed around the ice rinks that are bothersome. Hope you will close your eyes for those as I need anonymity to get those answered...giggle again! Which coach are you using?

Dbny: Thanks for the tip! I will try tonight.

Samba: That is exactly what my coach said. She has started me on beginning moves in the field early reflectively. I thought it sounded right too. I never thought I would ever want to compete as I already do not really like to be watched but have reconsidered it for maybe little competitions as it could add focus to what I am attempting. Maybe next year or so?

Lovepairs: Yes, the Adult Nationals were held at my rink. I was on vacation that week but did view the pictures. Of all weeks to have scheduled a cruise! I am so addicted I almost canceled my cruise! giggle. I am a bit shocked on how expensive skating is. Our rink does allow free public sessions when you enroll in group classes but I still pay for freestyle times, coaching and lessons. Next semester I will also take two classes, one at my rink and one at another rink close by to have two rink schedules to hopefully coordinate better with my work. I was also shocked when I custom ordered skates! lol. They are great though and I somehow managed to justify the costs! Thanks for the link. I will visit it tonight after work. Better get my bottom in gear to attend to the work life that supports my skate life!

Have a great day everyone!

DallasSkater
07-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Falldowngoboom: Notice how I did not say I did them well! giggle. But yes I am quite pleased to have gotten that far so soon. I think the private coaching really pushed it up a notch and I am truly skating every available time. Thanks for the kudos though!

Rusty Blades
07-11-2006, 09:55 AM
I started skating in skate school in January. . . I am currently spinning, jumping and even did my very first salchow this weekend!

January? Spins and jumps?

*** :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: ***

(who started in January at age 56 and doesn't even have her backward edges yet!)

icedancer2
07-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Welcome to the board!

I've noticed we've had quite a few new members lately and I think it's great to get everyone's input!

So welcome, everyone!!:)

Figureskates
07-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Adult Figure Skating!

I'm 60 and have been at it for about 8 years. I have my waltz, salchow, and toelopp but in the last year or so I have gotten more into figures.

It's a fun sport, you meet lots of great people, and a great form of exercise.

I have gone to Adult Week at Lake Placid every August since 2000 and my wife and I plan to retire there is a few years and it's also my home club!

Sonic
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Welcome DallasSkater

...as you've probably figured, there's quite a few adult skaters here at all different levels. I returned to skating in January after nearly 2 decades and was really pleased to find there's so many of us, er, 'oldies' doing it.

S xxx

SpaMama
07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Dallas Skater - I sent you a pm

PattyP
07-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Welcome DallasSkater!

You and I are the same age, although I started skating at a young 34 ;)

DallasSkater
07-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Rusty Blades: I am inspired that you started at 56! You are my hero! I am working on edges now too. Backward sure are harder than forward. I have the outside back but inside still do not look too pretty..giggle.

Icedancer2: Thanks for the welcome!

Figureskates: What is adult week? To retire in Lake placid sounds heavenly! I will make a good retired person....or lottery winner!

Sonic: I love that there are "older" skaters on here! WTG for returning to skating after 2 decades....did you retain a lot of the skills?

SpaMama and Sk8dx: I attempted to send you return PM's. Let me know if you do not see one from me as I am not completely certain it actually left my folder..lol...is it normal that it would be stored in my box? At least it referenced in the space as sent. Thinking that was a good sign!

PattyP: Oh how I wish I would have discovered this at 34! I am amazed at the amount of stress management it affords me. There is something quite serene about skating especially when I luck out and get the entire rink to myself. I love when it is quiet and the only sound is the hum of the air system and the sound of my skates cutting the ice. I am glad to have the option now though. I remember just feeling so grateful that the skate school offered adult classes. It just never occurred to me that it would be an option. Happened upon some information about adult skaters and before I knew what was happening I was enrolled! Do you skate competitively now?

PattyP
07-11-2006, 11:01 PM
PattyP: Oh how I wish I would have discovered this at 34! I am amazed at the amount of stress management it affords me. There is something quite serene about skating especially when I luck out and get the entire rink to myself. I love when it is quiet and the only sound is the hum of the air system and the sound of my skates cutting the ice. I am glad to have the option now though. I remember just feeling so grateful that the skate school offered adult classes. It just never occurred to me that it would be an option. Happened upon some information about adult skaters and before I knew what was happening I was enrolled! Do you skate competitively now?

I know exactly what you are talking about. Some mornings when I get there early enough I'm the first one on the ice. There is nothing like it.

I happened to find the Adult class flyer when my husband took me to a public session for fun all those years ago. A decision I'm sure he now regrets! That's when it all started for me. From that first class I was completely hooked and entered my first competition 5 months later. I was at Adult Nationals in Dallas this year, so yes, I still compete.

jazzpants
07-12-2006, 12:56 AM
DallasSkater: Welcome to the forum!!! There are a LOT of skaters just like you starting back up as an adult. I am 38 now and started back skating when I was 31 after a 17 year break from skating on rentals & public session for 2-3 years as a little kid. Never in my life would I imagined when I first got on that ice at age 31 that years later I would be skating 5 days a week, doing jumps and spins and "fancy footwork!" And despite my glacially slow progress, I'm getting a little better at it each year. Maybe one of these centries I'll make it to my goal -- to skate at Adult Nationals. But for now I keep working and dreaming...

SpaMama: Allow me to encourage you to go on the ice this way: "C'mon in! The (frozen) water's fine!" :P :lol:

DallasSkater
07-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Patty: Wow that you skated at the Adult Nationals! I bet your husband is nothing but extremely proud! That is truly inspiring and impressive!

Jazzpants: Thanks for the welcome! What a wonderful goal and I am sure with your determination you will reach your goal. What an exciting day that will be! Too funny of the frozen water being fine! I am interested in the pre bronze for now and maybe a few tiny competitions in the next year or so. The Adult Nationals seem so....big time! Are you doing smaller events to prepare for the day?

SpaMama: I agree...hope you will skate! Just a little healthy peer pressure for you to venture out there! ....Do you feel it? giggle.

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Indeed, welcome from another adult skater. I was a couch potato in my 40s when I started - now I'm well into my 50s, and just beginning to be competitive against other dancers of my age and ability level!

SpaMama
07-12-2006, 08:45 AM
SpaMama: Allow me to encourage you to go on the ice this way: "C'mon in! The (frozen) water's fine!" :P :lol:[/QUOTE]

Jazzpants and DallasSkater - I have always loved skating - skated on our lake in Indiana growing up every winter -(never any good, just little kid skating), and then the last 10 years or so taking my Grandmother to COI or SOI every year for "her" Christmas present (mine too!). So I love the sport and always have - guess I am afraid I will REALLY love doing it, and, well, there goes my life as I know it! I already tap dance at the studio my kids dance at in an adult class, so it wouldnt be unheard of for me.................:giveup:

SpaMama

sk8er1964
07-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Patty: Wow that you skated at the Adult Nationals! I bet your husband is nothing but extremely proud! That is truly inspiring and impressive!

Jazzpants: Thanks for the welcome! What a wonderful goal and I am sure with your determination you will reach your goal. What an exciting day that will be! Too funny of the frozen water being fine! I am interested in the pre bronze for now and maybe a few tiny competitions in the next year or so. The Adult Nationals seem so....big time! Are you doing smaller events to prepare for the day?

Welcome DallasSkater! I've been in my own lurk mode lately, but your enthusiasm has brought me back out :)

Adult skating is a lot of fun. As for competing, I usually do a local here in February, the Deborah Burgoyne North American Invitational (all adult) in March, Adult Mids, then Adult Nationals. I wasn't in Dallas this past year, but will do my fourth AN in Chicago next year. I did pairs this year at the DBNAI and Mids too, which was fun. Sometimes I'll do another local or two, but not every year.

As for PattyP, she's a very nice skater (and person) and it's even more impressive since, unlike me, she did not skate as a kid. I had the pleasure of competing at Adult Gold with her at the Kansas City AN. She does some pretty cool interps, too!

I plan on meeting Jazzpants at Chicago, as I'm certain this one will be the charm for her. 8-)

PattyP
07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
As for PattyP, she's a very nice skater (and person) and it's even more impressive since, unlike me, she did not skate as a kid. I had the pleasure of competing at Adult Gold with her at the Kansas City AN. She does some pretty cool interps, too!

You are way too kind! :oops: :) Thanks!

I plan to be at the Chicago AN too!

Dallas, you can do it. The way you are progressing, it's possible. I started in January of '98 and attended AN as a Bronze skater in April of '99. But, back then, we didn't have those pesky MIF tests...

DallasSkater
07-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Mrs Redboot: That is awesome that you were able to transition from a couch potato to a competitive skater! It is such great exercise that I bet you have added years to your life and healthy years at that!

SpaMama: See it will be such a natural thing for you! That dance background is really going to be helpful. I have had no dance in my background. For the last two decades I have been an aerobics junkie....mostly step classes. Unfortunately, that is not going to help me with the grace in movement. I have recently considered taking some sort of dance as I bet it would help me if I ever do want to enter into anything. Have no idea where I would fit that in to my schedule! There is a 22 year old in my adult freestyle class. She is a competitive dancer. There is a huge difference in how she is able to address new things introduced from the rest of us. I think it is because she has that background. (Ok, it might be because she is 22 too! ...giggle).

Sk8er1964: Hi! So glad you came out of the lurk mode. Sounds like you are quite the competitor. Congrats to all you have accomplished. I hope to get to attend the next AN as a spectator. I will be there to cheer you and the others on! I still can't believe I missed it when it was at my rink! It looked so interesting from the coverage I have seen that I will travel to see it!

Patty: I have heard there have been changes. I am hoping since I was oblivious to what was required that the current requirements will not overwhelm me. I think just working toward the pre bronze is intimidating me so I try not to think of what I would have to be able to do for anything else. I have heard that even moving to bronze is a major leap from pre. Since I am starting as an adult I feel I will definitely hit a limit to how much is possible. What is so great is that I can feel I am not even close to that limit now! I will always admire those of you that made it so far and feel inspired to push the boundary!

Figureskates
07-13-2006, 07:37 AM
You are way too kind! :oops: :) Thanks!

Well you do! I enjoyed your interp at AN in Lake Placid!

LilJen
07-13-2006, 08:47 AM
DallasSkater, I'm with GoBoom:

Spinning, jumping and salchowing after just seven months?

Shut ... up.

But, welcome. I'm 37 and working on my basic 8 (USFSA) with the eventual aim of pre-Bronze. . .Great at some things on that list but terrible at others. Keep at it!

Clare
07-13-2006, 05:25 PM
I am inspired b DallasSkater to come in from lurkdom and say hi :)

Although I skated fairly regularly as a child- no lessons, purely skating round and round like a little fish in a bowl!-I'm a very new adult skater. I'm only in my eleventh week and skate at the same rink as Mrs Redboots (I'd say hi if I had even a vague idea who you are, Mrs R!).

I'm loving every second of it so far; I love the fact that I, a person whose legs and arms will not co-operate to do step aerobics, am actually learning a wonderful skill, improving my posture and fitness and generally looking forward to each visit to the rink more than I look forward to anything else!!

I'm glad I found this place :)

Clare

doubletoe
07-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Good for you, Clare! Welcome to our world (where the reception is not so "icy" after all). :D

DallasSkater
07-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Liljen: Wonderful that you are at basic 8! I am interested in the pre bronze as well. It will be a while. I am having a blast so even if I never make it, it will be ok. It is fun having something to work towards though. Not sure if I understand all the skills that will be required. A woman at my rink recently got her pre bronze and she has shown me some of the things I still cannot do at all. I look forward to learning though.

Clare: Isn't freedom from lurkdom grand! giggle. Sounds like you are hooked too. I will be interested to hear how you are progressing! I skated on a cranberry bog as a child occasionally. Those were the days! We did that fish bowl circle on the bog too! Your post reminded me of that time. Thanks for the brief visit back to such carefree days!

Doubletoe: Your right...it is warm and fuzzy in here! giggle.

I was supposed to go to a seminar today but it was canceled...of course only after I drove an hour to get there. The prize was that I got to skate this afternoon! I feel better prepared for my lesson tomorrow with that extra skate in there! You guys have been impressed with the mention of the salchow I did last week while in lesson. However, I apparently need more instruction on that little number. I could not do anything close to it for the life of me today. Not sure I am remembering everything. Glad I have my lesson tomorrow to help remind me!

jazzpants
07-13-2006, 06:24 PM
I plan on meeting Jazzpants at Chicago, as I'm certain this one will be the charm for her. 8-)Glad to see you come out of lurkdom!!!

We'll see... tests still needs to be passed and money has to be saved up for the trip. We'll see how it all comes out of the wash when it's time...

SpaMama: If you never try, you'll never know... ;)

SpaMama
07-13-2006, 08:29 PM
SpaMama: If you never try, you'll never know... ;)

I think the thought of putting my feet in those gross plastic rentals is holding me back!!!!

DallasSkater
07-13-2006, 08:37 PM
LOL Spamama! Those rental boot sure are brutal! I wore them a few weeks in getting started. But to demonstrate that there is no excuse.....Sports Authority has simple cheap skates that are fine to start in. I bought them as I was waiting for my skates to be made and needed something...anything.... better then the rink ones. They were 59.00 big bucks on sale for 30.00! what a bargain! Cheap but just fine for the beginners learn to skate program. By that time you would know for sure if you would be continuing and need real ones!

Feel the pressure! giggle.

jazzpants
07-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I think the thought of putting my feet in those gross plastic rentals is holding me back!!!!LOL!!! I've been thru those gross plastic rental ski boots!!! I still managed to like skating enough to go on to my own skates! :P

Yes, DallasSkater's suggestion of getting some cheap boots to start with is a great idea! At least then you'll have a consistent fit and you can then find someone COMPETENT to sharpen the blades than "the guys in the back." :twisted:

Mrs Redboots
07-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Although I skated fairly regularly as a child- no lessons, purely skating round and round like a little fish in a bowl!-I'm a very new adult skater. I'm only in my eleventh week and skate at the same rink as Mrs Redboots (I'd say hi if I had even a vague idea who you are, Mrs R!).
Hi, Clare, and welcome. Which sessions do you skate on? Are you having private lessons (if so, who with?), or are you in the classes?

Clare
07-14-2006, 05:46 AM
I'm just having group lessons at the moment- Thursday evenings with Roland. I also usually skate Saturday morning (dodging the very fast little people!!), Tuesday evening and Wednesday evening if I can squeeze it in.

Clare

Mrs Redboots
07-14-2006, 07:23 AM
I'm just having group lessons at the moment- Thursday evenings with Roland. I also usually skate Saturday morning (dodging the very fast little people!!), Tuesday evening and Wednesday evening if I can squeeze it in.

ClareAh yes. I'm not skating evenings at the moment, although I must go to dance club on Thursdays again soon (but the Husband says there are so few men that I don't care to add to the pressure on him with all the other women he has to dance with!). Friend of ours skates Saturday mornings - we're usually long gone by the time the adult classes/lessons starts, though.

Clare
07-14-2006, 07:42 AM
I usually watch the dancers if I arrive early before my lesson on a Thursday and you're right, they seem very short of men at the moment!!

Clare

Mrs Redboots
07-15-2006, 05:30 AM
I usually watch the dancers if I arrive early before my lesson on a Thursday and you're right, they seem very short of men at the moment!!

ClareThe skinny balding one with a Northern Ireland accent is my husband - do make yourself known to him; he knows all about Skatingforums, although he hasn't time to lurk here himself!

Clare
07-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Oh gosh then I'm sure know which one your hubby is- it's very easy to narrow it down when there are so few men!! I already know Bob so that doesnt leave many- they were a very small gathering this past Thursday.

I'll say hi next Thursday :)

Clare

Mrs Redboots
07-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Oh gosh then I'm sure know which one your hubby is- it's very easy to narrow it down when there are so few men!! I already know Bob so that doesnt leave many- they were a very small gathering this past Thursday.

I'll say hi next Thursday :)

ClareYes, do. Actually, I don't think he would have been there when you arrived last week, as he was supposed to be at another meeting at 7:45 pm. I don't think he actually got there on time....

I find I get too tired to go after 90 minutes' and more training on the previous two days, and then a further 90 minutes on Friday & Sunday mornings. But I must try and come down one of these weeks....

mikawendy
07-15-2006, 03:27 PM
The skinny balding one with a Northern Ireland accent is my husband - do make yourself known to him; he knows all about Skatingforums, although he hasn't time to lurk here himself!

Oh, Annabel--I do so ***adore*** the Northern Ireland accent (and also Scottish accents). I think the vowels sound soooo lovely. I spent 1 year of uni at UCC in southern Ireland, and one of my flatmates was from Omagh. She had the most beautiful accent.

(Sorry, DallasSkater, I know that's totally off topic!!)