View Full Version : peroneal tendonitis

beachbabe
07-09-2006, 08:45 PM
About 2 weeks ago my doctor diagnosed me with peroneal tendonitis in my lower right leg and said that the injury was caused simply by overuse or a light sprain (but I know for sure I didn't sprain it and it can't be overuse because I have not skated any more than I always have). She said to ice it every day for 30 minutes, elevate and that i could be back skating a little bit at a time in 2 weeks.

Well after 2 weeks, my leg was feeling great and I decided to skate jsut one 30 min. freestyle. It felt fine until i woke up this morning and my leg was in absolute agony. I called one of my friends whose mom is also a doctor and she said based on what i could tell her over the phone that I should actually be putting heat on my leg and not ice, and that you are not supposed to ice tendonitis.

All of this has left me so confused. This injury has come totally out of the blue and I can't understand what i did out of the ordinary that would make this happen. So has anyone else here ever had peroneal tendonitis, or tendonitis at all and could shed some advice- because clearly doctors can't seem to come to an agreement about icing it or heating it. And clearly the first doctor doesn't even seem to know the recovery period. gosh, I'm so frustrated.:frus:

tidesong
07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm so sorry beachbabe... are these doctors specialized in sports medicine? If they arent you could always look for a more expert opinion.

dbny
07-09-2006, 10:20 PM
According to several web sites I found with google, ice is correct. I also read that recovery can take quite a while. Take a look at this one (http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?Condition=Peroneal%20Tendonitis).

sk8pics
07-10-2006, 06:17 AM
I had tendonitis in my right ankle a few years ago. I saw an orthopedist (sports medicine doc) who diagnosed me based on x-rays (stone cold normal) and my pain reaction to his exam. He had me icing the ankle and taking a prescription level dose of ibuprofen for 2 weeks. I was then to stop taking the ibuprofen and see if it hurt. It still did, and then I repeated the 2-week treatment, after which it was fine. I still have occasional trouble but it's never really reoccurred.

You might want to try a sports medicine doctor. Has there been any change in your skating routine? Or did you start doing any other exercise? Or start walking? Are your shoes still okay? Have you gained weight? I think all those things could be important.

Good luck.

Sonic
07-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi beachbabe

Sorry to hear about your injury.

I have to say this thread is of personal interest to me, because as some of you may have noticed from my whinging, I have a 'mystery' injury to my right foot/ankle.

It flared up out of the blue after walking round a shopping mal one day...my right foot starting hurting as I was walking, then half an hour later I couldn't even put the foot on the floor.

The next day it was okay...then about two weeks later it happened again after skating/walking.

This injury doesn't hurt all the time but seems to flare up after standing/walking/skating for more than 20 mins. The wierd thing about the first flare up was the fact I hadn't been skating for two weeks!

Anyway hope you get it sorted...and hopefully so will I.

S xxx

alliegator66
07-10-2006, 12:52 PM
I almost NEVER post, but I had this same problem. If you haven't seen a sports medicine doctor, you probably should. They may order an MRI to look for a possible tear in the tendon. Hopefully this is not the case with you, but I needed repair surgery. It took only six weeks to recover, and it's better than new. Hopefully you don't have that big of a problem! Aside from that, ice and Celebrex is what does the trick. You may also need custom insoles. Hope this helps and best of luck!!:D

beachbabe
07-10-2006, 04:24 PM
thats kind of how mine is. About 2 or 3 days after i stopped skating it felt fine but I did as the doctor said and waited till 2 weeks was up to go skating again. And now its only the 3rd day since i skated again and it almost feels fine already.

It didn't bother me playing tennis or walking or swimming and it didn't hurt during skating, but hurt like crap the next day.

Hi beachbabe

Sorry to hear about your injury.

I have to say this thread is of personal interest to me, because as some of you may have noticed from my whinging, I have a 'mystery' injury to my right foot/ankle.

It flared up out of the blue after walking round a shopping mal one day...my right foot starting hurting as I was walking, then half an hour later I couldn't even put the foot on the floor.

The next day it was okay...then about two weeks later it happened again after skating/walking.

This injury doesn't hurt all the time but seems to flare up after standing/walking/skating for more than 20 mins. The wierd thing about the first flare up was the fact I hadn't been skating for two weeks!

Anyway hope you get it sorted...and hopefully so will I.

S xxx