View Full Version : First USFSA Comp. What should we expect ?

luckeylasvegas
07-09-2006, 04:27 PM
My daughter who competes in FS4 ISI competitions will be doing her first USFSA competition in August. She will be competing at the no - test level as her coach won't test her until she has an Axel.

What differences can we expect between ISI and USFSA ? I know she will skate against more girls in the group, but will they be the same age as her ,
or do they do a group of ages together?

She's been competing in ISI successfully since she was 5 but it seems like we are preparing to go down the USFSA road. We're not expecting anything just hoping for a good skate !

AshBugg44
07-09-2006, 09:18 PM
The groups will defiantely be bigger, and usually with a much more spread-out age range. Also, in ISI everyone gets something, whether it be a medal, ribbon, or whatever. In USFSA, only the top so many get something. USFSA definately tends to be more competitive than ISI does, as ISI encourages skating for the fun of it.

tidesong
07-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Dont forget the marking system is different, in ISI the program component equivalent score is maybe only 1/8th? of the total score whereas in ISU the program component score is 1/2 of the total score. So depending on her strengths and weaknesses, this could result in placement that you would not expect if you are used to ISI scoring.

luckeylasvegas
07-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Dont forget the marking system is different, in ISI the program component equivalent score is maybe only 1/8th? of the total score whereas in ISU the program component score is 1/2 of the total score. So depending on her strengths and weaknesses, this could result in placement that you would not expect if you are used to ISI scoring.

What is the program component ? She's very strong Technically. Presentation we're working on :lol: .

VegasGirl
07-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Unfortunatley can't help you with your question but wanted to wish your daughter lots of good luck and a smooth transition!!!

Kelli
07-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I think the no test level at most competition is still a very small group.

sk8nlizard
07-10-2006, 10:49 PM
In our area there is a HUGE difference between ISI and USFSA competitions, even at the lower levels. The groups are larger and the groups are usually not divided by age. The biggest difference I see, here, is that the kids are much more sound skaters. Though this is not always the case, as a generalization ISI tends to be a recreational route. I know there are many ISI skaters that train seriously, but on the whole, the kids you will skate against in a USFSA competition skate and TRAIN more often than the kids in ISI competitions. It is very likely even in no-test that the kids are skating anywhere from 4-6 days a week, for 1 1/2 hours - 2 1/2 hours a day. Many also have off-ice training, dance, etc. in addition to the above stuff. Once again, this is not always the case, and I know this is a generalization but you will see it in USFSA at this level. :giveup:

VegasGirl
07-11-2006, 06:58 AM
And with her daughter in ISI as well... ;)

Isk8NYC
07-11-2006, 09:51 AM
You said she's already strong technically, but the USFSA judging system puts more emphasis on the performance itself - graceful/interesting transitionals, arm/head/leg positions, posture, eye contact, etc. (ISI builds most of the performance standards into their element scores.)

The biggest difference is that ISI restricts what elements can be put in the programs. For example, a FS4 skater is NOT allowed to do elements from higher-level tests, such as an axel (FS5). The USFSA usually doesn't have those restrictions above the Basic Skills Competition level. This varies from comp to comp - check the rules for the competition(s) she's entering. Some "No Test" categories state that axels/doubles are not allowed. If it doesn't say it, expect to see her competitors doing axels in their programs.

The ISI divides skaters into small groups by age, gender, and test level. They try to keep the number in each group very small so everyone gets an award. They emphasize good sportsmanship and comraderie, and the comps themselves are much less stressful - kids chat with others, parents complement other skaters' dresses, hair, etc. It's more laid-back, and there's a lot less at stake because they can always enter another one the following month.

The USFSA is much more competitive and doesn't divide the groups up, except to allow warmups if there are many skaters in that event. Boys and girls often compete against each other. Kids/families/clubs keep to themselves. Some competitions do separate by age groups, but only if there are a lot of skaters in the event. The pre-skate/warmups are different, too. The skaters really try to nail difficult elements in the warmup. One kid told me it was to impress the judges (who weren't watching), another told me it was a "psych out thing." Whatever.

It would probably be good to drop in on a local competition and watch the no test events before your DD has her first USFSA comp. It'll just make both of you more comfortable. Good luck!

Lenny2
07-12-2006, 11:52 AM
In our area, USFSA competitions usually continue to group by age until juvenile level. They also tend to keep the groups to around 8 skaters or so. One thing we do see quite a bit is terrible sandbagging at the very low levels, such as skaters with very strong single jumps in the no test levels. I really don't understand why coaches do this.

luckeylasvegas
07-12-2006, 12:43 PM
In our area, USFSA competitions usually continue to group by age until juvenile level. They also tend to keep the groups to around 8 skaters or so. One thing we do see quite a bit is terrible sandbagging at the very low levels, such as skaters with very strong single jumps in the no test levels. I really don't understand why coaches do this.

I suspect it will be the same thing here. My daughter has all her single jumps, very strong, with the exception of the elusive AXEL. She skates 4 -5 days a week , 3 days are private lessons and has 2 off ice classes, so I think training wise she should be able to hold her own. Her coach seem to think it will be good for her and I've always trusted his judgement. I've watched the other kids at the rink who skate USFSA and I'm not overly impressed. There are just a few things differn't with their programs. I think there are some very gifted , strong skaters that skate ISI , here in the west any way.

luckeylasvegas
07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
ISK8NYC thank you for your response. Her poster etc. is good I think she has to work on the eye contact and "showy" ness. I do notice that the girls that skate USFSA here focus alot on entertaining and playing to the judges and audiance.

luckeylasvegas
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
And with her daughter in ISI as well... ;)

Speaking of you no who says hi ! And the competition went great !!!!
We had over 250 skaters there. I think he impressed a lot of people.

Not the best skate for my daughter , but she was sick,. She did manage
3 second place , and a first. ;)

VegasGirl
07-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Wow, 250 skaters... 8O man, now I really wish I could've been there!!! :cry: I really would've loved to have come down for it but without a coach there was no point in the first place and to make things worth it fell right into our one week of family vacation we're getting this Summer.

Sorry to hear that your daughter was sick but as I see she did pretty good any way, congrats!!! And I'm sure the USFSA comp will be good for her as well... I know you can trust 'you-know-who's' judgement, he's a great coach and I miss working with him!

twokidsskatemom
07-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I sent you a link to see my daughter non tests program so you can see what they are looking for.
I think that that in both ISI and USFSA, breaking levels by ages happens if it can but not always.It really depends on the comp and how many kids they get.My daughter just skated in a usfsa comp non test witha 12 year old, just like when she does ISI comps.She just turned 7/

I really hate when people say usfsa kids train harder. Here, we have both and all the kids do both.Mybe its that way in some parts of the country but not all.