View Full Version : I Remember...

lovepairs
07-09-2006, 05:41 AM
I Remember...when kids used to bring their vinyl records to the rink to play on the "record player!" Remember the box where you placed the needle to the vinyl?! At the time, I remember the boys were skating programs to James Bond, 007's "Gold Finger!" The girls were skating mostly to the overture from "The Sound of Music!" It must have been the late 60's!

AW1
07-09-2006, 05:51 AM
I was just telling my husband how much we need to buy a record player. I love all my old records (including my mums original beatles ones!) but can't play them because I don't have a turntable anymore.

Seriously, things haven't changed that much still lots of boys skating to James Bond themes....

lovepairs
07-09-2006, 07:21 AM
I Remember...when the ice was totally filled with skaters "patching" laying out school figures. This happened three times per day--it was a beautiful vision, never to be seen, again...

starskate6.0
07-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey
Lovepairs
My new program ( not finished ):roll: is James Bond. To Russia with love. Jazzed up..:D Shaken not stired.

samba
07-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I remember when I first skated in a skating skirt, with thick black lycra tights underneath, I felt naked!! 8O

Sk8pdx
07-09-2006, 03:07 PM
I remember... almost 3 years ago when I first stepped onto the ice, I was hanging on to the boards, feared crossovers, and thought I would never be able to waltz jump...

Debbie S
07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
I was just telling my husband how much we need to buy a record player. I love all my old records (including my mums original beatles ones!) but can't play them because I don't have a turntable anymore.I know what you mean, AW1. My parents just sold their house (where they've lived for almost 35 years) and are now in the process of cleaning out all the remaining stuff they haven't already taken with them to their new place. Among the "junk": tons of records, some of them real classics (old musicals (2 "Hair" soundtracks - lol), the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, classical music albums, etc). They still have their record player, but it's at least 35 years old and they haven't used it in ages - they offered it to me but it's kind of complicated to use, and plus I have no room for it and the records right now. My mom is thinking about calling stores that sell old records and see if they'd buy them from her. I know there are some stores that sell record players (spiffy, new, "restored" kinds) that would probably be easier to use than the old one, but then again, where would my parents or I put it and the records where we each currently live?

I suggested my mom get the most "classic" ones recorded onto CDs but it would probably cost a fortune, if it could even be done. I know we could just go out and buy the albums on CD, but I suspect a lot of the "oldies" would be hard to find.

lovepairs
07-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Starskate,

You're a hot ticket, and that's all I have to say about that! "Gold Finger, La, La, La...."

I remember...skating dresses before 2-way, 4-way, or lycra stretch was even invented. The material was so stiff that the dressmaker had to put these "gusset" things under your arms, so that you could actually raise your arms above your head! Who ever invented Spandex :bow:

NCSkater02
07-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I remember when I first skated in a skating skirt, with thick black lycra tights underneath, I felt naked!! 8O

Ditto. I walked past a full length mirror, and didn't recognize myself. It was the first time I had on skates, dress, and tights. Sure, I'd tried on the dress to make sure it fit (I had it made for me) but not with the entire getup. I had leg muscles I'd never seen before. 8O I had to do a double take.

I'd been used to skating in loose polar fleece pants, so I really felt naked. I quickly got over it, and now feel weird if I have to skate in pants.:roll:

lovepairs
07-09-2006, 09:10 PM
I remember...watching Linda Fratiani skate to "Fire Bird." She won a Silver Medal. Does anyone remember if this was the Olympics, or the Worlds...gosh, I'm really showing my age. But, what's worse is that I remember seeing Peggy Fleming compete on TV, too, when I was a very little girl. I think Dick competed before, or, shortly after I was born...I don't remember seeing any footage of him on TV.

Figureskates
07-10-2006, 05:48 AM
I remember when they first opened South Mountain Arena in NJ where I grew up...that seems like at the end of the Jurassic Era.

That's where I first learned to figure skate and had my great "Pairs Skating Disaster"

lovepairs
07-10-2006, 08:06 AM
I Remember...my first skating rink, too. It was owned by Fritz Dietle who skated with Sonja Henji (sp?) Located in Westwood, NJ. I was 5 and the rink was HUGE. I went back to visit as an adult and the rink was the a tiny studio rink the size of a stamp! I believe that it is still open, and that kids are still learning to skate there!

jazzpants
07-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I remember...

Weekend public sessions at my old home rink (which has long since closed down... :cry: ) eating pizza, sodas and playing pinball. The b-day kid also has to do the Hokey-Pokey in the middle. (Thankfully, it's still being done at the Snoopy rink now. But certainly NOT at the YB rink. It's too...ummm.... "hokey" for the city kids! :roll:

I remember when my older sister and her then-bf dragged me along to skate and she could only skate around a little...and then a year later, she's still just skating around a little and I was doing spins!!! :twisted:

My one venture into pairs was an old guy who spun all the little girls around. I became one of those little kids!!! :mrgreen: Too bad when I was about 12, the guy said that I was getting too old and too big for him to do the pair spin thing. Sadly, a couple of years after I hung up the skates, I find out that he "was very old and very sick." :cry:

In 1999 when I was first skating around my current rink after a 17 year hiatus and was just going around the ice. And then a half year later, hubby went to see me just skate around the ice...only to see that I'm already getting my one foot spin back and doing waltz jumps again! :twisted: :P (SUUUURPRIIIISE!!!)

Rusty Blades
07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
I remember when the rink was scrapped by men with wide shovels and flooded by a hand-pushed cart with a big water tank on it. The artificial ice was maintained by an ammonia cooling plant that could hardly hold the ice through a warm winter day!

The big names in skating were people like Karen Magnussen and Petra Burka. I remember the plane crash of 1962(?) that wiped out the entire U.S. Olympic figure skating team. A good pair of custom boots were about $250 (more than a month's wages) and for $1.25 you could skate all week.

I remember when I COULD skate - LOL!!!

Raye
07-10-2006, 12:41 PM
I remember when the rink was scrapped by men with wide shovels and flooded by a hand-pushed cart with a big water tank on it. The artificial ice was maintained by an ammonia cooling plant that could hardly hold the ice through a warm winter day!

The big names in skating were people like Karen Magnussen and Petra Burka. I remember the plane crash of 1962(?) that wiped out the entire U.S. Olympic figure skating team. A good pair of custom boots were about $250 (more than a month's wages) and for $1.25 you could skate all week.

I remember when I COULD skate - LOL!!!

I also remember Petra Burka - I skated on the same ice as Karen Magnussen one summer school, and I still have the SK customs I paid $250 for (including coronation ace blades)

Rusty - we're definately dating ourselves here :halo:

mikawendy
07-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Years before I started skating, I remember watching Torvill and Dean's Bolero on TV when they skated it for the first time. I remember my mother (a big fan of ice dancing and figure skating) ooohing and aaahhing and being absolutely thrilled at the ending part. I was so little I wasn't really aware of what I was watching. I also remember when the Protopopovs were still regularly on TV in skating competitions.

lovepairs
07-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Rusty--you are ancient (like me!) MikaWendy, you are a baby! I was way into skating when Torvil and Dean skated Bolero, but I never saw hand flooded and hand scrapped ice--WOW!!! Who is Petra Burka??? I was about 4 years old when the plane crashed and we lost all of those wonderful skaters...I don't remember it, but I do remember the day that President Kennedy was shot--the entire world stood still (I was in 1st grade), but I can't remember what I ate for breakfast today!

Figureskates
07-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I remember the 1961 plane crash clearly. My grandmother lived in Boston and she knew all the skaters. I remember when she introduced me to Laurance and her mother Maribel.

I was a senior in high school when Kennedy was assisinated in 1963. I also remember when the french got defeated in Dien Bien Phu in 1954 which began our involvement in Viet Nam.

Yup, I be old. I am either the 3rd or 4th oldest at the August Adult Week in Lake Placid.

lovepairs
07-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Figureskates,

Let's look at the pictures in the hallways together during the August Lake Placid week, and see what we remember...I remember you!

Lovepairs

Rusty Blades
07-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Rusty--you are ancient (like me!) MikaWendy, you are a baby! I was way into skating when Torvil and Dean skated Bolero, but I never saw hand flooded and hand scrapped ice--WOW!!! Who is Petra Burka??? I was about 4 years old when the plane crashed and we lost all of those wonderful skaters...I don't remember it, but I do remember the day that President Kennedy was shot--the entire world stood still (I was in 1st grade), but I can't remember what I ate for breakfast today!

*** Gives Lovepairs a big HUG! *** From one "old-timer" to another "almost-old-timer". I was in grade 9 when Kennedy was shot and remember where I was when I heard, but I don't remember what I had for lunch!

Our rink was in a tiny town in the middle of the backwoods - it's amazing we had artificial ice at all. I think it was about 1965 when they converted to Freon refrigeration. Before that I remember skating the spring "show" with water on the ice.

Figureskates - WOW! You're ven older than I am! 8O :roll:

Figureskates
07-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Figureskates,

Let's look at the pictures in the hallways together during the August Lake Placid week, and see what we remember...I remember you!

Lovepairs

You're on! We can do it at the opening party on Sunday!

icedancer2
07-10-2006, 08:47 PM
I remember bringing my record to the rink and playing it for my program practice. I remember that there was a guy who sat in a booth up above the rink and played records during general skating sessions.

I remember patch.

I remember when Kennedy was killed. I was in 3rd grade, age 9 I guess.

And the plane crash was in 1961, the World Team was killed (well, almost everybody from the team) -- I don't remember it, but there was a guy from our skating club that was on that plane - Doug Ramsey. His picture still hangs in the lobby of the Detroit Skating Club.

I remember skating at a studio rink in Detroit that was owned by Don Stewart, who also sold me my first pair of skates - Oberhammers with Coronation Ace blades. I found out recently that that studio rink had been owned by a man named Swallender who had been one of the coaches killed in the crash.

And yes, I remember Torville and Dean's Bolero.

HelenC
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm ancient! I remember the skate guards scraping the ice with shovels and hosing it with water at Central Park!

In the mid 60's when I was 12, I took the subway to skate there. I saw the kids in the figure skating club practicing and asked how I could join. The director was very kind. She told me to get better skates and come early every Sat. morning. I didn't take any private lessons and just copied what everyone else was doing.

One day a group of older women dressed in big coats and boots walked on the ice and asked each of us in turn to do a few things. After they left the director told us we all passed the preliminary figure test.

On Sunday mornings the Central Park rink was divided. One half was for ice dancing. There were many elegant ladies and gentlemen skating round and round doing all the dances as they were announced.

Years later when the Abe Stark Rink opened in Coney Island, I took the subway there very early when the sun was rising over the ocean. A retired skater who was taught by Pierre Brunet was there every morning teaching everyone on the ice for free, putting us all on patch first, then helping us with dances or freestyle. Now and then he would surprise us with an awesome camel spin.

tidesong
07-11-2006, 01:46 AM
I remember when I started skating I was amazed at some friends doing forward crossovers and said that I doubt I could ever do that.

Also before I started skating, I saw some skating on tv and wondered why they kept doing the same jumps so many times in one program (now I know the entrances make them different, but it all looks the same in the air!)

SkatingOnClouds
07-11-2006, 04:25 AM
Oh my Gosh!
At 46, I never expected to feel like a young whipper-snapper on this board!
But I didn't start skating until my 20's, so I missed out on a lot of stuff.

lovepairs
07-11-2006, 05:35 AM
One day a group of older women dressed in big coats and boots walked on the ice and asked each of us in turn to do a few things. After they left the director told us we all passed the preliminary figure test.

Hey, Helen...I just think your revealed the "secret" to taking and passing a test!!! LOL!!!

This ice scrapping and pouring water down is blowing me away!

Figureskates,

Please introduce yourself to me at the party...I will be with the Protopopovs and my pairs partner (you can't miss us!) Let's take a stroll down memory lane right after the party and reminise. DOESN'T THAT HALLWAY IN LAKE PALCID WITH ALL OF THOSE PICTURES REMIND YOU OF THE "SHINNING" WITH JACK NICHOLSEN AND SHELLY DUVALE?!

Okay, I REMEMBER MY FIRST CAMEL SPIN! I was about 12 years old and it was that skating rink that I had mentioned above, the Fritz Dietel skating rink, and my coach's name was Mr. Kokich. He was Russian, but this was around 1969. So, my question is what was he doing here??? How did I get so lucky to have him??? He was the only coach who could teach me how to do anything! I've only been coached by Russians ever since--there was no turning back for me. :P

Mrs Redboots
07-11-2006, 07:39 AM
If the Zamboni breaks down for any length of time, they still have to scrape and flood the ice by hand. Our rink keeps a dedicated hose for just that purpose - there's a large notice to explain that it's not suitable for firefighting!

I remember skating at a tiny circular rink on the Champs Elysées in Paris - the first time I ever skated. Would have been in the early 1970s. The rink has long since demised, and I am not sure whether either of the other two rinks that a gang of us went (as "public skaters", of course) that year are still in existence, either.

PattyP
07-11-2006, 02:33 PM
I remember skating the Thursday afternoon public at the old Glacier Falls rink in Anaheim. It's long gone but the club still carries the name. My parents could not affort skating lessons for me so I tried to learn by eavesdropping on the private lessons that were being given. At that age (which was 8 or 9), I didn't understand why the coaches were annoyed! I managed to learn a waltz jump and a one foot spin that way.

I think I remember the music guy playing Crosby, Stills & Nash.

lovepairs
07-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I remember rotary dial phones before touch tone. They were all black, no color. Remember what it felt like dialing!

Figureskates
07-12-2006, 05:43 PM
I remember rotary dial phones before touch tone. They were all black, no color. Remember what it felt like dialing!

I remember when you picked up the phone and the operator would ask you for the number of the party you wish to reach.

Isk8NYC
07-12-2006, 06:28 PM
I was about 12 years old and it was that skating rink that I had mentioned above, the Fritz Dietel skating rink, and my coach's name was Mr. Kokich. Hey! I skated at Fritz Dietl's during the 1980's. I spoke with his wife last month; she's a lovely woman. He was quite a character, and he was always nice to me because of my coach (the famous Bibi!) and because I was a nice german girl. He actually stood up for me on an open freestyle when a snotty punk doing triples was trying to kill me. Although, I think he just didn't want to refund my admission. Just kidding!

I also skated at the original Sky Rink, when it was actually up in the sky...

I remember using lacquer to waterproof the soles of your skates. Messy and it smelled nasty. I know some people still do this, but most have switched to polyur. and sno-seal.

starskate6.0
07-12-2006, 06:46 PM
I remember...watching Linda Fratiani skate to "Fire Bird." She won a Silver Medal. Does anyone remember if this was the Olympics, or the Worlds...gosh, I'm really showing my age. But, what's worse is that I remember seeing Peggy Fleming compete on TV, too, when I was a very little girl. I think Dick competed before, or, shortly after I was born...I don't remember seeing any footage of him on TV.

Linda Fratiani8O Hey lovepairs, Thanks for the complement ;) , I skated with Linda Fratiani in Disney on Ice for about a year then she married the barrel jumper in the show...:cry: I had such a crush on her..Still got a picture of us back stage. She was the Blue fairy ( " And Hot " ) . I went of to do other productions but at least i have a great picture...:)

lovepairs
07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Get out of here, Isk8NYC! Wow! So, do you remember the following people from Fritz Dietle's rink:

Julie Savino
Brian Savino
Stephen Savino
Arty (the Zamboni guy-Julie's Husband)
Mark Nelson

I skated at the old SKY RINK, too! I was there from about 1979-1983. Do you remeber:

Mark Hominuke
John Curry
Kathleen Henly
Joseph Scherer

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do we know each other???

lovepairs
07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
So, why didn't you ask her out, you moron!!! Oh, brother, I can see you just pinning away for her and doing nothing about it! I remember the barrel guy, and you are a way hotter ticket then the barrel guy!!!

starskate6.0
07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
So, why didn't you ask her out, you moron!!! Oh, brother, I can see you just pinning away for her and doing nothing about it! I remember the barrel guy, and you are a way hotter ticket then the barrel guy!!!

Year I pinned for about a year on that show but I was out classed and shy....
:lol: :lol: Thanks honey but he was a former US skier and his dad had a ski resort in Sun Vally I think. I think Linda is still teaching up there and she has a daughter i think.. don't know if she is still married but Im sure she is still hot.8-)

lovepairs
07-12-2006, 07:15 PM
His Dad had the ski resort, but you had the accent!

starskate6.0
07-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks Lovey ..;) your such a star..;) :bow:

jazzpants
07-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Year I pinned for about a year on that show but I was out classed and shy....
:lol: :lol: Thanks honey but he was a former US skier and his dad had a ski resort in Sun Vally I think. I think Linda is still teaching up there and she has a daughter i think.. don't know if she is still married but Im sure she is still hot.8-)You might still have a chance! Linda is divorced as of August 2001 and shares custody of their daughter!

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112

Assuming she's still single, go get her, Tiger!!! GROWL!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

.devious.smile.
07-12-2006, 10:01 PM
okay this wasnt that long ago but i have change alot in skating since but...
i remember... the first time i tried out with my dance partner in a freestyle dress with horrible leg streches and even worse posture...needless to say we have gotten a bit better over the years ;) i also remember our first free dance a couple of 3 turns and cross cuts...ahhh have times ever changed!

Sk8pdx
07-13-2006, 12:01 AM

Yes! (I hated dialing zero, it took forever for the stupid thing to rotate all the way around and back) :) My grandma still has her rotary dial phone. It is actually light blue.

I remember....(as I was driving 3 1/2 hours north to skate pairs last weekend) when gas was $0.59/gallon at the time I learned to drive. ... but for the love of the sport, it was worth every penny!8-)

jazzpants
07-13-2006, 02:02 AM
Yes! (I hated dialing zero, it took forever for the stupid thing to rotate all the way around and back) :) My grandma still has her rotary dial phone. It is actually light blue.Rotary phones? You mean these things? :lol:

http://static.flickr.com/45/188605816_d441e2f1e6_m.jpg

This is found at the basement of my husband's parent's home! It's connected to a computer that has a VERY, VERY old Windows (95) OS too! :twisted: Can't believe I can still read skatingforums.com on their computer too! :lol:

Rusty Blades
07-13-2006, 04:59 AM
I remember when you picked up the phone and the operator would ask you for the number of the party you wish to reach.

ME TO! I remember our number was 184 ! Being in a rural area, the Operator knew everybody by their voice and everybody's business :roll:

Sk8pdx: Gas was $0.25 a gallon when I started to drive and my first vehicle was a Honda 50 that got 50 MPG. I could visit my friend in the city (50 miles away) and come home again for $0.50 worth of gas. Of course I could only go 45 MPH! Now I spend $150 a week to commute to work.

lovepairs
07-13-2006, 05:47 AM
You might still have a chance! Linda is divorced as of August 2001 and shares custody of their daughter!

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112

Starskate,

This might be it! Give her a call. You having nothing to loose--right? This might be the thing that turns everything around for you. Men don't know this, but woman are dying of lonliness, all of us, just waiting for our skating man to come along.

Boyfriend, if you are not afraid to do Axels, Doubles, and a Back Flip, you certainly have the guts to pick up your "rotary" phone and dial her number.

We will all be supportive of you. And if you start dating her, then we all get to meet her!!! I sware to god, she's probably just sitting around dying of lonliness.

Mrs Redboots
07-13-2006, 06:12 AM
i also remember our first free dance a couple of 3 turns and cross cuts...ahhh have times ever changed!Ours was, too - in fact, I don't even think it had any 3-turns in it, just a couple of Mohawks. All of a minute long. We had planned to test it, but somehow that never happened, and we ended up with a proper 1'30" dance that lasted us for two years and, the second year, finished with a lift! That was all of last season..... we have a new dance for this year.

Mrs Redboots
07-13-2006, 06:20 AM
I remember when you picked up the phone and the operator would ask you for the number of the party you wish to reach.As do I! We didn't get a phone with a dial on it until the 1960s. My parents' telephone number is still based on the original 3-digit number we used then. And a 3-minute trunk call then probably cost more, in equivalent terms, than it costs to make a similar-length call on your mobile from abroad!

And it wasn't until the 1970s that all calls could be dialled - and international dialling was introduced, which (I was living in Paris at the time) transformed the situation when ringing home!

HelenC
07-13-2006, 07:17 AM
I remember skating on a rink that had a big organ and a live organist!

I don't know which one it was. Maybe the one that used to be next to the old Madison Square Garden in Manhattan?

FrankR
07-13-2006, 07:29 AM

I don't know which one it was. Maybe the one that used to be next to the old Madison Square Garden in Manhattan?

Although I've never skated there myself, I've heard that the rink at South Mountain Arena in New Jersey used to have an organ and a live organist as well. :)

Figureskates
07-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Although I've never skated there myself, I've heard that the rink at South Mountain Arena in New Jersey used to have an organ and a live organist as well. :)
That is true. I skated there when they played...it was really cool...

Nothing like playing with the "Wayback" machine to conjure up memories I hadn't thought of in decades!

PattyP
07-13-2006, 09:38 AM

My old rink still does and the guy plays during the Tuesday night public session.

http://www.paramounticeland.com/index.htm

coskater64
07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
When I was little and skating in colorado we used cassette tapes, but my rink had Charlie Tickner during the peak his career. We just loved to watch him skate.

When I moved to Dallas our 5.30 am free skate always started off with a rousing, "Back in Black" our rink was a fomer indoor soccer arena, the ends slanted like 20 degrees so doing loops was fun especially get back up the incline.

Our ranch still has rotary phones and when I was a child, 5 or 6 you would have to climb the pole and clip the wires on to make a call. To this day, if we call 911 we have to give them directions because we are 25 miles from anywhere.

lovepairs
07-13-2006, 10:13 AM
First of all, the picture of the "rotary" phone is HILARIOUS!!!

Next, A LIVE ORGANIST! Get out of here! WOW!!!

Finally,

I remember...watching John Curray practice up in the old Sky Rink in NYC...he was a brilliantly-beautiful skater, and sorely missed. :cry:

Who remembers what floor the old Sky Rink was on? Was it the 33rd Floor?

Isk8NYC
07-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Sky Rink (when it was in the sky) was on 33rd Street, between 9th & 10th.
I believe it was the 16th floor of the Lerner Building.

I always skated during lunch times, rushing in and out, so I didn't get to meet many people there.

But, I do remember John Curry. Always friendly and polite; what a skater!
Who was the big-name coach that was there?

jazzpants
07-13-2006, 10:42 AM
When I was little and skating in colorado we used cassette tapes, but my rink had Charlie Tickner during the peak his career. We just loved to watch him skate.Ah, man!!! I wish I had seen him then too! He's over here in the Bay Area now teaching at 3 different rinks (none of which are my rinks! :x ) and he's ALWAYS booked!!! I had him as a secondary coach once when I was working near one of his rinks. Had to stop taking from him when I ended up at another job where even though it was one of his rinks that he was quite booked with students there! :cry:

Funny thing... when I first saw met Charlie, I saw this strong big guy coming into a crowded FS session. I immediately thought "What's this hockey coach doing skating in a FS session?" Had to look down at the skates to figure out that he had on black figure skates. :oops: Then at another session, I was introduced to him by one of his students b/c I wanted to see if I could take a lesson with him. Yup! Same "hockey coach" guy!!! :oops: :lol:

I miss taking lessons with him! He was fun to take lessons with! And no fluff! He's a man's man, but still very kind and nice! (Which appeals to me a lot!) And no, he won't teach at our rink b/c 1) he's gonna be highly in demand and 2) he hates the parking around our rink (i.e. street parking and you have to move your car about every hour...)

Isk8NYC
07-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I remember skating on a rink that had a big organ and a live organist! I don't know which one it was. Maybe the one that used to be next to the old Madison Square Garden in Manhattan?South Mountain Arena in NJ had an organ and an organist during the general sessions. Very nice atmosphere, but man, they ran their publics military-style. No camels or laybacks. No jumps. None whatsoever, or the manager skated over to "talk to you."

icedancer2
07-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Does Skating Club of Boston still have a live organist for WILD Tuesday evening public sessions??:lol:

starskate6.0
07-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Starskate,

This might be it! Give her a call. You having nothing to loose--right? This might be the thing that turns everything around for you. Men don't know this, but woman are dying of lonliness, all of us, just waiting for our skating man to come along.

Boyfriend, if you are not afraid to do Axels, Doubles, and a Back Flip, you certainly have the guts to pick up your "rotary" phone and dial her number.

We will all be supportive of you. And if you start dating her, then we all get to meet her!!! I sware to god, she's probably just sitting around dying of lonliness.

:bow: :bow: :bow: Ok I get it. But Im down here and she is up in Sun Vally and I seriously dought that a former Olympic Star ( and hot babe) would want to date me. However, I will look at the web site you all provided..:halo:
I will tell you the last back flip I did was a lot of years ago and asking Linda Frat out on a date is a lot more scary..that woman could have any man she wants. ;) and Im really not in a position to date anyone right now and flying to Sun Vally is a financial no no at the moment... Ill look at the site though..;) I can dream can't I......he he

starskate6.0
07-13-2006, 10:18 PM
OK Crew

I went to the site on Linda Frat and on a serious side I will tell you this.
I had the pleasure of skating with Linda in Disney on Ice in the late 80's.
She was not only beautiful to watch but was a gracious and wonderful person to talk too.
I got to know her and admired her great achievments in her career, and all of sudden I was in a show with my favorite star. It was a great pleasure to skate in this show with Linda even though I was just a chorus boy and part time funny man..

If you should ever visit this site Linda I want you to know it was an great pleasure to skate with you and I will always remember that as one of my fondest memories .. :) :bow:

Thank you..

SalchowChick
07-13-2006, 10:21 PM
I remember the first time I was about to get on the ice and I was too scared. But finally I got on, and everything fell into place (bad word choice lol)

lovepairs
07-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Isk8NYC,

I remember...the big name coaches at Sky Rink were the Dunfields.

Raye
07-14-2006, 01:22 AM
I Remember...when the ice was totally filled with skaters "patching" laying out school figures. This happened three times per day--it was a beautiful vision, never to be seen, again...

The Mountain Cup adult competition in France still has a figures competition, and early morning 'patch' practice sessions for a few days prior to the event. I love the quiet hush of the patch session at 6:30 am.....

Mrs Redboots
07-14-2006, 03:06 AM
Next, A LIVE ORGANIST! Get out of here! WOW!!!I skated to a live organist as recently as last summer - there are still one or two floating around here in the UK offering their services at social dance events.

The Mountain Cup adult competition in France still has a figures competition, and early morning 'patch' practice sessions for a few days prior to the event. I love the quiet hush of the patch session at 6:30 am.....I can finally inch my way round a serpentine - I tried, last week - but what puts me off having a go at the baby figures competition (and indubitably coming last, but I don't give a you-know-what about that) is the fact that it starts at 07:00! And being on the ice for about 06:00 two days running (because we usually take an early practice session on the Saturday morning) is not my idea of fun!

Thin-Ice
07-14-2006, 03:19 AM
Ah, man!!! I wish I had seen him then too! He's over here in the Bay Area now teaching at 3 different rinks (none of which are my rinks! :x ) and he's ALWAYS booked!!! I had him as a secondary coach once when I was working near one of his rinks. Had to stop taking from him when I ended up at another job where even though it was one of his rinks that he was quite booked with students there! :cry:

Funny thing... when I first saw met Charlie, I saw this strong big guy coming into a crowded FS session. I immediately thought "What's this hockey coach doing skating in a FS session?" Had to look down at the skates to figure out that he had on black figure skates. :oops: Then at another session, I was introduced to him by one of his students b/c I wanted to see if I could take a lesson with him. Yup! Same "hockey coach" guy!!! :oops: :lol:

I miss taking lessons with him! He was fun to take lessons with! And no fluff! He's a man's man, but still very kind and nice! (Which appeals to me a lot!) And no, he won't teach at our rink b/c 1) he's gonna be highly in demand and 2) he hates the parking around our rink (i.e. street parking and you have to move your car about every hour...)

I skate at two of the rinks where Charlie Tickner teaches.. and he's WONDERFUL to watch.. especially when he's teaching/demonstrating footwork. I think we could charge money just to watch him do footwork during the sessions. It's also really sweet to watch him work with the younger (4-6 year old) kids who have NO idea who Charlie is. To them he's just this coach in black skates and a red & grey jacket (which he's had at least 12 years. His students should buy him a new jacket for Christmas one year.).

I remember at 2004 AN in Lake Placid (first time he had returned since the 1980 Olympics!) and skated in the Exhibition. He received a standing ovation.. just for getting on the ice. He was really touched by that and talked about it for weeks afterwards.

My fondest Charlie memory is when I had been skating about 3 months and was working on forward crossovers. I took lessons in a rink mall that was buried under the parking garage and was often empty during the middle of the afternoon on the day I practiced. One of the days I had the rink to myself this guy walks in, whistling. He put on his skates came onto the ice and skated two incredibly FAST laps.. which scared me to death. So I retreated to a corner to work on forward crossovers.. you know the kind where you pick up your foot up WAY too high and carefully set it down not quite crossed over and with no rhythm? When he did his third lap, Charlie stopped right behind me (no big swooshing hockey stop, either) and said "Do you want some help with those?" I had NO idea who this guy was, but obviously he knew what he was doing so I squeaked out "ok". He showed me how my knee didn't have to go quite so high and if I did it rhythmically it would work better and how to lean and where to put my arms on the circle, you know, all the basics (stuff I'm sure my coach had told me.. but I hadn't remembered). I was feeling a little bit better about maybe someday being able to do crossovers and thanked him. He just smiled and skated off and went to work on whatever he was there to work on.. and my coach comes in and says "So, now you've thrown me over for a World Champion?" I looked at her like she'd sprouted horns and said "Huh?" She said "That was the 1978 World Champion.. 1980 Olympic Bronze medalist." I was STUNNED! Turns out he grew up (as in "little kid") near the neighborhood where the rink was, and was in town for a week to visit his Dad.. and needed to practice for a show he was going to be in later that month.

I don't think he remembers any of that.. but I'll NEVER forget it. And now I see him twice a week.. and he's just "one of the skaters/coaches" at the rink. A really NORMAL guy.. aside from the fact that most coaches of his former competitive status don't coach at several rinks in an 80-miles radius-- and rides his motorcycle to get to them all so he doesn't have to sit in Bay Area traffic!

FrankR
07-14-2006, 07:28 AM
I skated to a live organist as recently as last summer - there are still one or two floating around here in the UK offering their services at social dance events.

I always wonder what it would be like to skate to live music. However, whenever I start to think of what skating to an organ might be like I can't help but remember that one episode of The Simpsons when Bart tricked the church organist into playing "In the Garden of Eden" in the middle of Sunday mass. :lol:

TimDavidSkate
07-14-2006, 07:30 AM
South Mountain Arena in NJ had an organ and an organist during the general sessions. Very nice atmosphere, but man, they ran their publics military-style. No camels or laybacks. No jumps. None whatsoever, or the manager skated over to "talk to you."

when was this? that would have been a sight to see 8O i started skating there around 96

TimDavidSkate
07-14-2006, 07:35 AM
I always wonder what it would be like to skate to live music. However, whenever I start to think of what skating to an organ might be like I can't help but remember that one episode of The Simpsons when Bart tricked the church organist into playing "In the Garden of Eden" in the middle of Sunday mass. :lol:

I did once at Canada - this small town, I forgot... It was the New Year's Eve of 1999. They had this rock band that was playing during the general session. The manager asked me to do a number at 10:30 with the other skaters. I of course said sure. I was so scared in terms of not knowing what song they were going to play. The pieces they played I never even heard of. I did my number and it felt like forever8O Thankfully I landed two 2salchows and one 2Loop. It was fun I guess. All my relatives and friends got to see me skate finally.

AndreaUK
07-14-2006, 09:13 AM
I remember watching Robin Cousins in 1980 when I was around 6 years old and thinking to myself 'I will skate like that one day and have my own boots' little was I to know it would take 26 years for me to learn to skate and own my own blades.

I also remember those olympics in 1980 and being totally engrosed with all the ice skating and when the event finished I cried my heart out becuase my dad said it would be another 4 years before I would see it again.

Andrea xx

Isk8NYC
07-14-2006, 10:07 AM
when was this? that would have been a sight to see 8O i started skating there around 96In the 1980's, when there was only one rink at that arena. I'm showing my age, although I was an adult at the time. :roll: I believe the organ was in the far corner from the rink front entrance, upstairs. We really didn't notice that the organist was live, just that the music was circus-like.

When DH and I graduated with our MBA's, our college rented Radio City Music Hall for the ceremony. We brought our then-3-year old DD. Down on the right side near the stage, they have a huge pipe organ that slides out on it's own platform. The school hired the organist and he played songs from movies and musicals - especially Disney songs. DD loved it!

lovepairs
07-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Peter and Sonja Dunfield

Isk8NYC
07-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Nope, that's not who I'm thinking of; who was Curry's coach?

NoVa Sk8r
07-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Curry initially worked with Arnold Gerschwiler, but then worked with Gus Lussi and Carlo Fassi (who coached him when he won Euros/Olys/Worlds in '76).

Isk8NYC
07-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Curry initially worked with Arnold Gerschwiler, but then worked with Gus Lussi and Carlo Fassi (who coached him when he won Euros/Olys/Worlds in '76).I'm thinking of Gus Lussi. (I was scared of him, btw.) Thanks, it was bugging me that I couldn't remember the name.

lovepairs
07-16-2006, 06:29 AM
I had no idea that Gus Lussi taught at Sky Rink? When was he there? Wow! I had no idea.

HelenC
07-16-2006, 10:02 AM
I have this beautiful book published in 1978, a pictorial biography of John Curry written in his voice, with over 200 pages of text and photos:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0394501349/ref=dp_olp_0/103-4447531-2403868?ie=UTF8&condition=all

When he was 20 ('71) and impoverished, living in a bedsitter in London without a shilling for the gas meter, he applied for a loan to study with Peter Dunfield in NY for 6 weeks. He had a difficult time with the harsh criticisms and became very homesick for Birmingham...

In '73 he sought Slava Kahout, trainer of Janet Lynn, who directed him to Gus Lussi in Lake Placid and Carlo Fassi in Colorado.

It is such a wonderful read. He was so honest and modest, and the photos are stunning!

Sk8pdx
07-16-2006, 08:21 PM
I remember ...when ladies everywhere wanted their hair cut like Dorothy Hamill.

jazzpants
07-16-2006, 08:52 PM
I remember ...when ladies everywhere wanted their hair cut like Dorothy Hamill.Except me... whose parents' think the Hamill haircut is the same as the "Chinese little girl" or "bowl" cut. (i.e. put a bowl on the head, cut around the bowl.) I wanted the Farrah Fawcett look instead... :twisted:

Isk8NYC
07-16-2006, 10:21 PM
I did the Fawcett "wings" for a year when I was in grammar school.

I DID have the Dorothy Hamill hairstyle when I swam in high school. After seeing so many team pictures where I looked like a wet-haired boy (neck up only, I assure you), I let it grow longer. When I skated, I always clipped or pulled it back. French braids were nice, too.

Who remembers IceWorld on Route 46 in Totowa, NJ?
(My favorite stompin' grounds.)

fmh
07-17-2006, 09:35 AM
i remember in 1999 watching the canada games and thinking I'll never be able to land all my double jumps...

jazzpants
07-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I have another Charlie Tickner "I Remember" that demonstrates how much of a "normal guy" he is...

Skate SF 2002. The Senior Ladies event was on at the same time as the World Series (Giants vs. Anaheim!) TV was in the Party Room and the TV faces the ice rink. Of course, all the skating dads that got dragged out for Skate SF for their daughters stayed in the Party Room watching the World Series. Charlie was positioned so that when he faces the rink, he can watch the Senior Ladies event and when he faces the party room, he can watch the World Series!!! :lol: :bow:

lovepairs
07-18-2006, 02:44 AM
I remember...when people didn't have cell phones. Now everyone is walking around like Cyborgs with Blue Tooth in their ear. Can someone tell me how we all got along before cell phones???#$%^&*())(%^&*( 8O :roll: :??

jazzpants
07-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I remember...when people didn't have cell phones. Now everyone is walking around like Cyborgs with Blue Tooth in their ear. Can someone tell me how we all got along before cell phones???#$%^&*())(%^&*( 8O :roll: :??HEY!!! I RESEMBLE THAT!!! LOL!!! 8O :twisted: :lol: (I have a RAZR with a Bluetooth earpiece.)

And the answer to that question is... the same way we've always... we TALK!!! :twisted: :lol:

lovepairs
07-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Jazzpants,

You're a Cyborg, too!!! LOL!!! How do you like it? I've been thinking about joining the club and getting on, too. Can the people you are speaking with actually hear you on the other end? Someone told me that they had their BMW wired for Bluetooth, and that some cars are coming out with it now, so that you can be driving and just have a hands-free conversation, hearing the other person in the car as you would listening to the radio!

Okay, I remember...when people used to drive with both hands on the steering wheel...and, that wasn't too long ago...

Debbie S
07-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Someone told me that they had their BMW wired for Bluetooth, and that some cars are coming out with it now, so that you can be driving and just have a hands-free conversation, hearing the other person in the car as you would listening to the radio!Yeah, my new Toyota Camry came with Bluetooth capability. You need a compatible phone and headset. Maybe I'm just tech-illiterate, but I don't understand how it's different from using a regular phone with an earpiece and microphone clipped to the visior or ceiling.:??

jazzpants
07-20-2006, 12:32 PM
For all your Cyborgs wannabes... eh, "you will be assimulated!!! Resistance is FUTILE!!!" :twisted:

Seriously, sorry for hijacking the thread...

Yeah, my new Toyota Camry came with Bluetooth capability. You need a compatible phone and headset. Maybe I'm just tech-illiterate, but I don't understand how it's different from using a regular phone with an earpiece and microphone clipped to the visior or ceiling.:??It's wireless and talks thru the bluetooth. The general idea is to call/receive calls using your car radio system as your "earpiece" and "microphone." (Yes, you don't have to use your Cyborg earpiece or microphone if you have that option.) What you have to do is to set up your phone to send signals to your car and then set up your Bluetooth in the car to receive the Bluetooth signals so it'll know to talk to each other. Once you have that, you're in business!!!

Supposedly your Camry has a keypad like a phone and you can make calls from that keypad. I don't know if there's a way for your phone to do voice recognition. I don't drive a car with fancy gadgets like that, so I have to use the Cyborg earpiece!

When I make a call, I press a button on my earpiece (that's already on my ear), it beeps, I say a word that associates with the phone number I'm calling. (Of course, I have to pre-program the voice with the contact info on the phone beforehand!) It recognizes the word I'm saying and tries to match it with the phone number. If it finds it, it will repeat the word I just said before making the call to that phone number! As for receiving calls, I could just push the keypad on my earpiece. (In Debbie's case, the radio will probably be muted, signaling a call. There should be another button on the steering wheel aside from the horn.)

And yes, lovepairs! I CAN talk to hubby at home on my cell phone using my Cyborg earpiece AND keep both hands on the steering wheel too! No looking away from the dash!!! No fumbling with the keypads to make the call! :D

Debbie S: Go back to your car dealer and ask him to help you with the Bluetooth capability (assuming you have a Bluetooth phone too.) That's what he's there for!!! (That is, of course, if you don't mind hearing your caller on your stereo system.) :P

Back to original thread.... I remember...when public sessions had "reverse directions", "mens only", "ladies only", and "couples only" in the public session! VERY FEW rinks do that now... probably b/c there are coaches giving private lessons during public sessions too!

coskater64
07-20-2006, 01:02 PM
My new car does that too, it also allows me to just same the name I want to speak to, and then it calls the number for me and let's me chat with via a mic in car, all using bluetooth. Of course I also have the fun jet fighter heads up display, so now I have no excuse for speeding.:twisted:

lovepairs
07-20-2006, 04:08 PM
IsK8NYC,

I had the Farra Fawcet hair cut, too! it was the mid Seventies. I had this long beautiful brown hair down to my waist. I thought I'd like to try the haircut, and that if I didn't like it I could always grow my hair out.

So, I went for that layered Farra wingy look around my face. It was okay, but I really didn't like it. Guess what? MY HAIR NEVER GREW BACK!

I will never forget that haircut, as a result...I remember...bad memory :cry: :frus:

Sk8pdx
07-20-2006, 08:26 PM
I remember... the only 2 ways to drink coffee. Black , or w/ Cream & Sugar. I can't imagine a world without Starbucks. I love it when it takes someone longer to order their drink than it does to make it. :lol:

My favorite cup of heaven: a Grande Sugarfree Hazelnut Non-fat Latte (a little less sweeter than vanilla). There are some days that warrent a Triple Venti version of the same. 8-)

lovepairs
07-21-2006, 02:38 AM
I remember...pre-Starbucks, one of the first cafes in NYC. It was on Broome and W. Broadway. It was called the Cupping Room. They had muffins, coissants, coffee, and lattes. Even back then I signed up as a "cafe/heavy/user." Now, I'm totally addicted to Starbucks (I stay away from the designer drinks, and pastries, though...way too many calories), but I can't even begin to imagine life without Starbucks! :P

Mrs Redboots
07-21-2006, 05:29 AM
I can't even begin to imagine life without Starbucks! :PI don't know about in the USA, but here in the UK it's such a dreadfully expensive way to drink coffee! I mean, over a pound for a cup of coffee, hello????? I can - and do - make rather nicer coffee for pennies at home, put it in a travel mug, and off we go.

Figureskates
07-21-2006, 05:57 AM
Now, I'm totally addicted to Starbucks (I stay away from the designer drinks, and pastries, though...way too many calories), but I can't even begin to imagine life without Starbucks! :P

Well, they just opened a Starbucks in downtown Lake Placid.

Boy are my figures going to be something else after downing a Grande of Verona bold, black with no sugar. I'll be a human seismograph!!

lovepairs
07-21-2006, 09:26 AM
NO, Get out of here!!! Starbucks in downtown Lake Placid! Wow...I'm going in August, and can't wait!!! I'm such a Starbucks junkie! :bow:

I remember...Lake Placid before Starbucks! :P

Figureskates
07-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Well lovepairs, I will be easy to spot in August! Scribe in one hand, a venti Starbucks in the other!

I am such a Starbucks junky as well. I have one here in town that is a 4 minute walk from my house...on the way to the rink which is 10 minutes further on.

TimDavidSkate
07-21-2006, 09:43 AM
It just hit me out of nowhere a flashback....
I remember when I used to wake up 3:30am and my father driving me to South Mountain Arena for the 4:30am session. The ice is clean and I struggle to wake myself up while stroking around the rink and smelling the fresh ice :) ...

Skate@Delaware
07-21-2006, 10:13 AM
I remember ...when ladies everywhere wanted their hair cut like Dorothy Hamill.
Yeah, I had one....:lol:

lovepairs
07-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Figureskates,

We must get together at Starbucks. I only returned to skating at age 35 to continue doing figures. I was the last person to lay out the last silver figure up in Lake Placid the year it ended. I tried to continue on: took my 2nd figure test and failed it twice. My coaches roped me back into free skating and I continued to patch. However, when I started skating pairs, I needed to start testing moves. Not being able to do everything, and patch times becoming earlier and earlier in the morning and more scarce, I had to make a decision. I had to put figures to rest :cry: I can tell you more about my decision to do this at Starbucks. It has taken me over 5 years to come to grips with not skating figures anymore. It was a very sad day when figures was taken away...I remember that day, and I don't know what anyone in the ISU, or USFSA was thinking...:cry: :frus:

Kelli
07-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Well lovepairs, I will be easy to spot in August! Scribe in one hand, a venti Starbucks in the other!

I am such a Starbucks junky as well. I have one here in town that is a 4 minute walk from my house...on the way to the rink which is 10 minutes further on.

It takes you 10 minutes to get from Starbucks to the rink? You do know what the peddle on the right is for, right? :twisted:

Figureskates
07-21-2006, 03:17 PM
It takes you 10 minutes to get from Starbucks to the rink? You do know what the peddle on the right is for, right? :twisted:

That's by foot!

lovepairs
07-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Where is the Starbucks in Lake Placid? Is it way down the block on the other side of town out by the Mirror Lake Inn???

Kelli
07-22-2006, 04:37 PM
That's by foot!

My lease on my current apartment expires at the end of August, which gives you just over a month to get a room ready for me! :lol:

Figureskates
07-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Where is the Starbucks in Lake Placid? Is it way down the block on the other side of town out by the Mirror Lake Inn???

It on the Olympic center side of the street..I thinks it is in what use to be 90 main Street, which is now the resturant directly across the Street from the olympic center.

lovepairs
07-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Wow, so it's going to be: skating-Starbucks-skating-Starbucks-skating-Starbucks....

I'm happy!:P

See you there! Either at Skating, or Starbucks!

Mrs Redboots
07-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Wow, so it's going to be: skating-Starbucks-skating-Starbucks-skating-Starbucks....We don't have a Starbucks locally, but there is a small hole-in-the-wall coffee shop beside the station, about 200 yards away from the ice rink, which sells coffee which is a lot nicer and a lot cheaper than Starbucks provides! I usually bring coffee from home (wasn't it Icecatepairs who said you can always tell a skater because they have coffee stains down the front of their workout clothes caused by drinking coffee in the car?!), but many people just place an order with one of the mothers, who goes out to get coffee for everybody while her skater is on the ice!

It's a very useful place as it also sells bananas so if I've forgotten mine for any reason, or the ones at home are too ripe for me (I only like them on the green side), I can pop up and get one before I get my skates on.

Figureskates
07-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Wow, so it's going to be: skating-Starbucks-skating-Starbucks-skating-Starbucks....

I'm happy!:P

See you there! Either at Skating, or Starbucks!

Oh there is a third place that I can be found at as well..The Lake Placid Brewpub down next to the Sports Academy. I find a couple of Frostbite Ales takes the edge off of the muscle pain!:lol:

And where I am staying is about equal distance from all three!! Oh I am indeed a happy camper!

dstroebel
04-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi I found your posting today while doing a Yahoo search on some skaters I knew. I was a student of Mark Hominuke, Brain Grant and Sonja Dunfield from 1980-84. I left skating and the SCNY in Jun '84 for the last time. I try to get out on the ice 2-3 times a year with my kids. I have such fond memories of those days and think back often of what a great sport skating really is. I knew:

-Scout Lloyd
-Elain Asanakis
-Leslie Abby
-Mark Nelson

Thanks,

-Dave Stroebel

Get out of here, Isk8NYC! Wow! So, do you remember the following people from Fritz Dietle's rink:

Julie Savino
Brian Savino
Stephen Savino
Arty (the Zamboni guy-Julie's Husband)
Mark Nelson

I skated at the old SKY RINK, too! I was there from about 1979-1983. Do you remeber:

Mark Hominuke
John Curry
Kathleen Henly
Joseph Scherer

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do we know each other???

AlexeiLover
04-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I love all my old records (including my mums original beatles ones!)

YES YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!! I know it's off topic but I'm a huge Beatles fan. My dad has an original copy of Beatlemania (the Beatles first North American release, it's very rare). I'm still trying to find a good, instrumental only, one and a half minute Beatles song to skate to!

Mrs Redboots
04-18-2007, 07:43 AM
. I'm still trying to find a good, instrumental only, one and a half minute Beatles song to skate to!

See if you can find a karaoke version, which will be instrumental. Or a pan pipes one (that is less easy, as it won't have a definite bass beat, which a karaoke version would). Then download a free music editing programme, like Audacity, and you can edit yourself a very tidy 90-second Beatles clip. Would you want a compilation (say, 30 seconds' worth of each of 3 songs)?

I did a free dance to Michelle once, but, sadly, I can't offer to send you the clip as it's on cassette, and I don't have a cassette player that I can upload it from.

Isk8NYC
04-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm still trying to find a good, instrumental only, one and a half minute Beatles song to skate to!My DH is a *huge* Beatles fan - we even went to the BeatlesFest last month in Secaucus. www.Q1043.com (http://www.Q1043.com) has a Sunday morning "Breakfast with the Beatles" radio program that's great. (You can listen to it over the internet) The host is wonderful - we've met him a few times - and he takes requests over the internet or by phone.

Have you listened to the "LOVE (http://www.amazon.com/Love-Beatles/dp/B000JK8OYU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7903776-4926310?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1176911098&sr=1-1)" CD? (I think Cirque de Soleil uses it for their Vegas show.) It's a remix of popular Beatles songs and it's fairly easy to clip out a 1.5min segment. (DH and I don't care for the arrangements because we liked the old songs just the way they WERE, thank you.)

slusher
04-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I skated outdoors until 1967 when the city built a rink with their centennial money. I couldn't skate on freshly zambonied ice, it was too slippery and the idea that you didn't have to shovel it off first was amazing. A skating club was started and because every little girl wanted to figure skate, it was entry only by audition. (I can't believe that now, my club takes anyone who has the fee) You had to be able to do a shoot the duck and skate backwards. I could do the latter but not the former and was a bit older so was slotted into the hockey league instead. We played outdoors still but there was a rink guy who cleared the ice with a snowblower, we didn't have to shovel. Although, I tell my kids I did, along when I tell them about the five mile walk to school every day, four times a day because we walked home and back for lunch.

When I was in my teens we would skate outdoors and then drink beer with the rink guy in the warming hut. I haven't told my kids that one either.

I still have a turntable and records. The Cowsills ! With the popularity of club DJ's, turntables are easy enough to come by and I get it fixed every so often and a new needle. I also have the output plugged into the computer and have used records to make skating solos. There's a certain atmospheric feel to a record sound especially for some classical pieces.

The town where I live now still has an organ at the rink, but it doesn't work anymore, they play a record of old time organ music for the senior citizens skate, but I'd love to skate to live music sometime.

And yes, you got your skates sharpened once a year whether you needed it or not.

FallDownGoBoom
04-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Christmas 1977. I'm 8. Santa shows up with skates for me and my sister. Dad takes us to Best Lake, a mile from our home in Watchung, and off we go. We take to the ice as if we had been skating since birth. My father stands on the banks for two hours.

I think of my Dad, who died 16 years ago, every time I leave the boards. I wonder whether he's standing there, watching me, nodding and waving and smiling in the cold.

Thin-Ice
04-19-2007, 03:17 AM
Christmas 1977. I'm 8. Santa shows up with skates for me and my sister. Dad takes us to Best Lake, a mile from our home in Watchung, and off we go. We take to the ice as if we had been skating since birth. My father stands on the banks for two hours.

I think of my Dad, who died 16 years ago, every time I leave the boards. I wonder whether he's standing there, watching me, nodding and waving and smiling in the cold.

Oh what a sweet and precious memory! I love the image of this! I'm sure your Dad is still watching you skate with a big smile on his face.

AW1
04-19-2007, 07:08 AM
re: beatles instrumentals - do a search of Symphony orchestras, and there are some great SO versions. You would obviously need to cut them though to length. I have some great ones I've downloaded - one of my favourites is Eleanor Rigby :)