View Full Version : Novice needing advice on Crossovers

BlueIcePlaza
07-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi, I've recently passed level 2 (UK), and I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I've tried, for the first time, forward crossovers. No probs with lifting one foot off the ice, but when I try to crossover - the raised foot does not want to go further than hovering above the gliding foot.
Can anyone offer any suggestions to a nervous skater? :?? Many thanks.

NCSkater02
07-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Lots and lots of practice.;)

At 4+ years, my CW still doesn't completely get over, at least not consistantly. Just keep practicing.

Cielo
07-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Well, since you seem to be able to balance and hold it there, the problem must be in putting it down. I used to get a little nervous myself, I have done it wrong and fallen before, twice. I hope I'm not scaring you.

Go to the side and practice lifting it over and placing it down. Be sure you are on the correct edge, and try to lift your hand off the wall if you think you can balance.

Always remember to lift your foot high enough (and not too high) and don't go faster than you can, pick up speed as you get better.

flippet
07-07-2006, 05:30 PM
You probably aren't bending your knees enough (or much at all). If you try to set your crossing foot down with straight-ish legs, it can feel like you're going to roll over onto your toepicks and trip. I bet you're balking at that feeling.

Whether that's it or not, something that may help is this: find some stairs and, holding on to the railing, walk up and down them sideways. You get the correct crossing motion, with some of the bend necessary in the knees.

mdvask8r
07-07-2006, 08:22 PM
As Flippet said, you need lots of knee bend. If your skating leg is straight you cannot reach the ice with the crossing foot (unless you lean waaaaay over to the center of the circle, & you are not ready to handle that much lean yet.) Also keep some space between your knees -- don't allow the knees to clamp together. Be sure your inside hip stays in line. Don't allow the hip to jut into the circle, that will cause you to break at the hips & push your upper torso outside the circle.

Mrs Redboots
07-08-2006, 04:49 AM
Hi, I've recently passed level 2 (UK), and I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I've tried, for the first time, forward crossovers. No probs with lifting one foot off the ice, but when I try to crossover - the raised foot does not want to go further than hovering above the gliding foot.
Can anyone offer any suggestions to a nervous skater? :?? Many thanks.Hi, and welcome. I take it you mean Skate-UK Level 2?

One of our beginners practises his forward crossovers in two movements - he crosses and lifts up, and then holds the inside edge while crossing his foot underneath. If you're not comfortable doing that, practice holding the position with one hand on the barrier.

But I promise you, they will come - I can remember when they were impossible, and it took a long time before they felt comfortable. Just make sure you keep on working on them.

beachbabe
07-08-2006, 10:27 AM
when you do crossovers its vital to have a good upper body position.

you need to think of hugging the circle, so your upper body should be facing the middle of your circle. You also need to make sure you really stretch your outside foot outwards before you try to cross it over. You're supposed to pick up the foot and stretch it out to the side slightly and point the toe a bit and then bring it over your other foot. Then you make another push outwards with your inside foot and stretch it out also. so a crossover is really:

stretch-cross-push-stretch

BlueIcePlaza
07-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all your advice, this is a superb forum! :D
I'll keep practising all you've all suggested, and must remember to bend those knees - one thing I always keep forgetting. :)

Sonic
07-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi,

Thanks for all your advice, this is a superb forum! :D
I'll keep practising all you've all suggested, and must remember to bend those knees - one thing I always keep forgetting. :)

Hi BlueIcePlaza

Yeah, I would say the key thing is to keep the knees bent. When you're going counter-clockwise (to the left) the left arm should be in front, and vice-versa when you're going clockwise. In both directions lean slightly (but not too much) in to the circle.

You might also find it helpful to practice crossing one foot in front off the ice.

Happy skating!

S xxx

techskater
07-09-2006, 10:23 AM
You got your CCW and CW mixed up for forward crossovers! CCW is right foot over left foot which means the right arm goes in front. CW is left foot over right foot which means the left arm goes in front.

When I passed the dang power circles on the Intermediate MIF test (I continue to work on them since I'll see them again at the Junior test even though my Novice is nowhere near ready to test), the things that really made them good and powerful were a deep knee bend and a good lean into the circle (many people, especially those who start as an adult don't like to lean on their edges or at least not enough because they're afraid to topple over). These things will give you the ability to bring the crossing foot over and down.

Skate@Delaware
07-09-2006, 11:45 AM
You probably aren't bending your knees enough (or much at all). If you try to set your crossing foot down with straight-ish legs, it can feel like you're going to roll over onto your toepicks and trip. I bet you're balking at that feeling.

Whether that's it or not, something that may help is this: find some stairs and, holding on to the railing, walk up and down them sideways. You get the correct crossing motion, with some of the bend necessary in the knees.
I like this! I'm going to have hubby practice it, he never feels comfortable enough either bending or crossing over...

One exercise I learned at a seminar was to keep the feet crossed and skate like that....gets you more comfortable skating with yourself in that position (and doing this exercise you don't have to go really fast either but you do need the bend!)

BlueIcePlaza
07-10-2006, 06:01 PM
I tried the bend, but am I trying too hard, as skating with legs crossed proved very difficult today. Should I loosen up, by having a forward stroking session for 10 or 20 mins first?

Btw, thanks for all your advice - I'm really dying to try and get this one sorted, even if it takes a great deal of time. You're all wonderful.:D

beachbabe
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
maybe you could try just skating with your crossing over leg in front. For example, for counter clockwise crossovers jsut skate with your right leg lifted off the ice and in front of you and try to shift your weight to the left. This should force you to start turning in to the circle and just keep moving your right foot over the left untill it is far enough over to put it down- making 1 crossover.

BlueIcePlaza
07-11-2006, 12:23 PM
maybe you could try just skating with your crossing over leg in front. For example, for counter clockwise crossovers jsut skate with your right leg lifted off the ice and in front of you and try to shift your weight to the left. This should force you to start turning in to the circle and just keep moving your right foot over the left untill it is far enough over to put it down- making 1 crossover.

I'll try just that, this Friday, many thanks. :D

icenut84
07-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Another thing you could try is to do them without any speed, like you're just walking on the ice. You just stand on two feet, then lift your right foot and cross it over your left, then lift your left and place it next to your right again. Hold onto the barrier if that helps. This will help you to get the feeling of crossing over without actually having the movement that makes it more difficult (and scarier). Once you get used to that, you can try it with a very slow speed and see how that goes.

You'll get there. I remember the feeling you're describing, like you can't make your leg do what you're wanting it to, everyone has it at first but it gets easier :)

DallasSkater
07-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi Blueice: Just thought I would add my two cents in on this. When I learned to do the cross over it was most helpful for me to start by standing in place on the ice and practice crossing over like walking sideways. My instructor then had me push with the leg that would cross on a circle but not actually cross. That helped get the circle motion orientation and a tiny amount of lean. She then took my back arm and held it while moving very slowly on the circle. That extra support from her helped me brave the foot over. Not quite as secure a feeling as holding the wall but like a moving wall to hold balance of sorts. Within an hour I had the basics. Repetition over a few sessions and I had the speed and no longer needed a hand for added security. I have had the cross overs for quite a while now. My coach still has me start each session with a warm up on these but by traveling at moderate speed and crossing over and holding the foot that crossed in the crossed position not touching the ice for a few seconds while maintaining speed and the circle. That has made them go from the chopping look to a tight cross. She always says to make sure you feel your calve and shin touching to get the tight look. It is great for improving balance too. I remember thinking that arm position seemed to make all the difference in the world to allowing myself to lean in. If your back arm is a bit higher than the front it seems to create a better sense of balance.

I do have one side that seems so much easier than the other on just about everything I have tried so far. I have heard that is true for most people. Learn on your strong side first. You will be surprised at how overwhelming this task feels but how quickly you will get it once you bend and lean in.

Good luck to you. Keep us updated on how this is going for you!

BlueIcePlaza
07-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Well...

I tried it on Friday afternoon, during a quiet session, and it did'nt have a chance of happening.

But strangley, tonight I took my daughter to a disco session (full of whizzing skaters flying in different directions), but actually enjoyed the ice! The disco lights and music took my mind off concentrating too hard, and so consequently, I did my first crossover (left over right), and then repeated it seconds later. The third crossover nearly had me down on the deck, but that was no probs.

If this sort of session is the one that can ease my mind into doing crossovers (for the time being), then I'm gonna have to do a right over left before I have a major collision. :lol: