View Full Version : Bristol Dance Competition 2006

kateskate
07-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I was looking at the entry requirements for the Bristol dance competition in September. While it says there is no age limit, the criteria matches the British Adult - pretty much. So it looks to me like an adult competition. But since it doesn't say you have to be 18 or 21 and over, my concern is if I enter, will I be skating against kids????

Can anyone help?

I don't want to have to compete against children!

I may be asking a silly question........

NickiT
07-07-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty certain it's an adult competition though I can't be sure. My daughter competed in the opens there in March. I can't remember if there were dance competitions then or if it was just free.

Nicki

samba
07-07-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm pretty certain it's an adult competition though I can't be sure. My daughter competed in the opens there in March. I can't remember if there were dance competitions then or if it was just free.

Nicki
Hi Nicki, do you know if there is anything in the free for adults?

Mrs Redboots
07-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I think it's primarily an adult competition, but children could and did enter last year. Still, give it a go, it's all a good warm-up for the British! Husband will be against you again (and no doubt be seen severely off again by you, Chantelly, FRBSkates and Tashakat's former partner's current partner!)! The secret is just to not count the children......

Sadly, Samba, it's dance-only; it started when people needed a qualifier for the British Adults in dance - I believe that requirement has been lifted this year as there's not to be a Scottish adults (boo, hiss!) - don't know why, as one was planned, that I do know. So as northerners can't really be expected to trail all the way to Bracknell or Bristol, unless they want to, and the Solihull competition, such as it was, didn't qualify, I'm told the qualifier isn't actually necessary.

NickiT
07-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I believe they did have an adult free competition a couple of years ago though I can't be certain. It seems they don't do anything for adult freeskaters now though.

I've just been on Chelmford's site as they have an Open on 18th September. I know last year this was for adults but I can't view their schedule - it just blips and won't open. If anyone has more luck than myself, I'd be grateful if you could check it out.

Nicki

Sonic
07-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I was looking at the entry requirements for the Bristol dance competition in September. While it says there is no age limit, the criteria matches the British Adult - pretty much. So it looks to me like an adult competition. But since it doesn't say you have to be 18 or 21 and over, my concern is if I enter, will I be skating against kids????

Can anyone help?

I don't want to have to compete against children!

I may be asking a silly question........
I'm hoping to do this one - providing of course that the stupid foot gets better by then!

S xxx

samba
07-07-2006, 01:20 PM
I believe they did have an adult free competition a couple of years ago though I can't be certain. It seems they don't do anything for adult freeskaters now though.

I've just been on Chelmford's site as they have an Open on 18th September. I know last year this was for adults but I can't view their schedule - it just blips and won't open. If anyone has more luck than myself, I'd be grateful if you could check it out.

Nicki

I have e-mailed them, will let you know of any response, really enjoyed last year's one.

samba
07-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Sadly, Samba, it's dance-only; it started when people needed a qualifier for the British Adults in dance - I believe that requirement has been lifted this year as there's not to be a Scottish adults (boo, hiss!) - don't know why, as one was planned, that I do know. So as northerners can't really be expected to trail all the way to Bracknell or Bristol, unless they want to, and the Solihull competition, such as it was, didn't qualify, I'm told the qualifier isn't actually necessary.

Thanks for that Mrs Redboots, not too bothered, just wanted to know what other options there were.

NickiT
07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
I have e-mailed them, will let you know of any response, really enjoyed last year's one.

Thanks Samba. I had to withdraw last year because of my broken wrist but am tempted to give it a go this year if it's an adult one!

Nicki

samba
07-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Just got a reply from Chelmsford and reads as follows:

As we are only holding the Open as a one day event this year, we took the decision to concentrate on the standard events + levels. NISA pointed out that an age limit cannot be imposed and so technically the Open is open to all ages. As such it is a personal decision whether or not to compete with/against the "kids". The competition is split into standards and so the judging should be fair.

I dare say it will be fair but I personally dont think I would look great skating against the kids and would feel uncomfortable, so it's a no for me.

NickiT
07-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Just got a reply from Chelmsford and reads as follows:

As we are only holding the Open as a one day event this year, we took the decision to concentrate on the standard events + levels. NISA pointed out that an age limit cannot be imposed and so technically the Open is open to all ages. As such it is a personal decision whether or not to compete with/against the "kids". The competition is split into standards and so the judging should be fair.

I dare say it will be fair but I personally dont think I would look great skating against the kids and would feel uncomfortable, so it's a no for me.

Thanks for that Samba. Not for me either. No way would I compete against kids. It's a shame though. It always feels so hopeful when a club runs an adult open, but disappointing when they drop the adult classes the next year.

Nicki

samba
07-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I know what you mean Nicki, its probably because they only have one day, last year they had two days, it was really well run and they had fantastic trophies too, its right in the middle of town so you can have a shop and a bite to eat before hand, ah well maybe next year.

kateskate
07-07-2006, 06:25 PM
I got the same reply regarding the Chelmsford competition. Its such a shame. There seems to be no free skating competitions for adults as you say. I wonder if Alexandra Palace will have theirs again this year.

And I will not subject myself to skating against children. I'd be in the level 3 group and those kids can do axels. Properly. Not like my weird little one. So no. I'd look ridiculous. (And I get sad enough as it is that I didn't skate as a child - I don't want to be reminded of that at a competition!)

And if there is no qualification needed for dance then it may be that there are fewer adult competitions each year. How sad :-(

Any idea how many kids did the Bristol competition last year? From only Bristol or from other rinks?

Mrs Redboots
07-08-2006, 04:44 AM
If the Streatham Open Festival happens this year (and if it does, it will be on 2 and 3 October, the Monday and Tuesday after the British Adults) there will be adult classes in it. But of course it's after the British Adults, so not very helpful! We should know soon whether it will happen or not.

Mrs Redboots
07-08-2006, 04:45 AM
Any idea how many kids did the Bristol competition last year? From only Bristol or from other rinks?I can't remember - not very many. There was one from Oxford, that I do know, but I don't think she's skating at the moment (injury). But I think it was mostly adults.

chantelly
07-09-2006, 04:05 AM
Wow that will be odd skating against smaller ones! I thought it was an adult one too! Still I'd still like to do it. I was so violently sick before Bracknell that I really need all the practice I can get in these competitions I'm hoping I'll be immune to nerves eventually, or at least able to leave the toilet in the hour before! :lol: xx

NickiT
07-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Wow that will be odd skating against smaller ones! I thought it was an adult one too! Still I'd still like to do it. I was so violently sick before Bracknell that I really need all the practice I can get in these competitions I'm hoping I'll be immune to nerves eventually, or at least able to leave the toilet in the hour before! :lol: xx

Awwww...you're like me. I get really nervous too. I never skate as well in competition as I do usually and it's all down to nerves. I agree that we need more adult competitions in order to get used to competing. I'd love to go out full of confidence and skate like I know I can.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
07-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Wow that will be odd skating against smaller ones! I thought it was an adult one too! Still I'd still like to do it. I was so violently sick before Bracknell that I really need all the practice I can get in these competitions I'm hoping I'll be immune to nerves eventually, or at least able to leave the toilet in the hour before! :lol: xxRemind yourself that at our level, as the Husband always says, "It's only a game". Sure, it's great when you skate well (and you skated way better than him, anyway!), but it's no big deal if you have a bad skate day. Disappointing, yes, but it doesn't affect us next time.

samba
07-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Awwww...you're like me. I get really nervous too. I never skate as well in competition as I do usually and it's all down to nerves. I agree that we need more adult competitions in order to get used to competing. I'd love to go out full of confidence and skate like I know I can.

Nicki

Wouldn't we all.

briar4012
07-09-2006, 04:07 PM
There were a number of children at Bristol last year, though I think they mostly entered the lower categories. They were all from other rinks. We only have about 3 girls under 21 who do any dance at all and really they are free skaters, just testing dances solo alongside their free.

chantelly
07-10-2006, 01:28 AM

Nicki

The weirdest thing is I skate even better than I usually do once I'm on the ice, the adrenaline really makes me better for those two minutes! It slike I have a timer too because I'm not sick in the 10 minutes before, I just can't speak and zone out! then when i get off the ice I can't stop talking for half an hour! My partner just laughs at me!

Sonic
07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by NickiT

Nicki

Wouldn't we all

Couldn't agree more. In my first a few weeks ago I couldn't believe how nerve-wracking it was - didn't help that I was first (in the whole competetion) to skate lol! I came off the ice thinking 'I know I can skate better than that!'

I think I'm gonna give the Bristol comp. a go - I expect to come last but it will be great to get the experience. I'm hoping dance will be easier than free in that in the last one my legs turned to jelly - I could manage steps and spirals but could hardly lift feet off the ice to jump.

S xxx

chantelly
07-12-2006, 03:40 AM
I think I'm gonna give the Bristol comp. a go - I expect to come last but it will be great to get the experience. I'm hoping dance will be easier than free in that in the last one my legs turned to jelly - I could manage steps and spirals but could hardly lift feet off the ice to jump.

S xxx

What class are you going to do at Bristol sonic? xx

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2006, 07:25 AM
I came off the ice thinking 'I know I can skate better than that!'
Been there, done that! You want to say, "Hey, can I have another go, please, that wasn't very good!"

Glad to hear you'll be at Bristol, and I'm looking forward to meeting you then. Do make yourself known. I'm not skating solo this year, but will be in the various Level 4 and Under couples classes with Husband (three of them, I think!) (three classes, one husband!).

Sonic
07-12-2006, 02:11 PM
What class are you going to do at Bristol sonic? xx

The lowest one there is - solo.

I'm looking forward to meeting you too Mrs Redboots.

S xxx

chantelly
07-13-2006, 02:04 AM
Excellent! Hope to see you there! xx