View Full Version : sky rink mondays

froggy
07-04-2006, 09:19 PM
happy july 4th! 2 questions I have:

anyone skate at sky rink (chelsea piers) early monday morning freestyle/west rink if so is it very crowded and what level would you say are most of the skaters?

other question is if anyone skates at sky rink monday night (adult skate night)?

thanks! im on the hunt for ice time either early monday mornings or monday evenings. wish me luck!!

HelenC
07-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Sky Rink is generally crowded during the summer morning freestyles. If you could get up early, the 6:00- 6:50 am on the west is not bad because at the same time there is a 5:30- 6:50 on the east for higher level skaters (Juvenile Freestyle or Silver Dance and above)

After that there is camp on the east, and the 7:00 and 8:00 am sessions on the west have both high and low levels together. It's harder to get everything done but still possible. The level of skating on these sessions vary from very slow and tentative fs 1 to very good and fast double jumpers.

Please say hello if you see me. I'm one of the adults who jump the other way.
(Sorry I don't know about Monday evenings. I don't see anything on the schedule.)

TimDavidSkate
07-05-2006, 07:18 AM
5am sessions aint that bad :halo:

NaomiBeth1
07-05-2006, 10:17 AM
happy july 4th! 2 questions I have:

anyone skate at sky rink (chelsea piers) early monday morning freestyle/west rink if so is it very crowded and what level would you say are most of the skaters?

other question is if anyone skates at sky rink monday night (adult skate night)?

thanks! im on the hunt for ice time either early monday mornings or monday evenings. wish me luck!!

Several years ago I did do the evening session. Worst place to skate ever. Kid workers are rude, ice is melted in summer (rink's too warm in summer/too cold in winter), and overly crowded. Maybe it's changed since - but I used to test it out a couple of times every 6 months or so over the course of 5 years and it was always the same thing. Now it's been about a year since I've been back.

The level of adult skaters was always mixed. Me, a silver skater fit right in the middle, but there were also beginners from the Learn to skate classes and then freestyle adult frequenters working on a lot of doubles.

lovepairs
07-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Last few times that I competed up at Chelsae Piers it was "unbearably" COLD. I don't know if that's changed...anyone know why some rinks are SUPER COLD. I mean, I know that they have to keep it colder for hockey, so that the ice is harder, but some rinks really go way beyond this, and it's almost inhumane--why do they do this??? :cry: :frus: 8O

HelenC
07-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi Tim (I met you before) and hi Lovepairs (I just figured out who you are- I met you before at competitions and saw you at the Hackensack camp.)

Yes, Sky Rink is freezing in the winter and sometimes too warm in the summer. Some of it has to do with being exposed on the river.

It's hard for us in NYC to find good ice in the summer. We envy those of you who have cheaper uncrowded sessions.

froggy
07-05-2006, 06:41 PM
thanks for all the info. I think I may try next week the monday 6am freestyle..just need to get up real early that morning.

TimDavidSkate
07-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi Tim (I met you before) and hi Lovepairs (I just figured out who you are- I met you before at competitions and saw you at the Hackensack camp.)

Yes, Sky Rink is freezing in the winter and sometimes too warm in the summer. Some of it has to do with being exposed on the river.

It's hard for us in NYC to find good ice in the summer. We envy those of you who have cheaper uncrowded sessions.

Yes I met you at the Lake Placid 2004 Adult Nationals for the first time, then saw you a couple of times through winter classic :D Hello Helen