View Full Version : Back soreness?

taffy12
07-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I have a decently strong back and pretty good posture (seven years of marching band will do that to a person!), but the past couple of times I've skated, I've woken the next morning with a touch of soreness in my lower back. I'm not doing much on the ice, just general stroking, forward and backward crossovers, some turns, and such, so do you think I'm holding my body/back wrong somehow, or is it just that I don't have the particular muscles built up that skating uses? If the latter is the case, can you recommend some off-ice exercises or stretches that might help? Thanks!

lovepairs
07-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Probably nothing wrong. You're just using a new set of muscles. If you are allowed take IbuProfin to calm it down. It should go away the more you skate and strengthen those new muscles. Band marching and skating muscles are different. It seems that muscle groups rarely translate from one sport to another. For example, I thought that because I skated and had strong legs that I could go skiing without any problem--OHMYGOD, I was parallized the next day! Also, make sure that you are getting some rest inbetween skating days. If it persists, go see a good PT, or Chiropractor.

mikawendy
07-04-2006, 01:55 PM
In many movements in skating, the muscles of the lower back are contracted. At one skating workshop I went to, one of the instructors recommended stretching the lower back gently several times during a skating session. You can do this as you skate by skating forward on two feet and squatting down so your butt is close to the ice. I sometimes hug my knees to deepen the stretch.