View Full Version : Fireworks or Duds (Practice Thread July 1st-9th 2006)

jazzpants
07-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Okay, looks like the previous lesson/practice thread "fizzled" out :P , so I'm starting a new one and adding two days (to this Saturday), since I practice on weekends!

This is for both Saturday and Sunday for me...

Fireworks:
After taking a small break from my gym workouts and plain taking the time to rest and sleep, I have more energy on Saturday to go thru Bronze Moves and I'm happy to report that all is well again! Sunday wasn't as good as Saturday, but I did managed to go thru two runthrus back to back on both days.

Both days was spent also going at the alt 3's and the spirals on the prelim moves test (my next moves test) and on jumps and spins. I managed one runthru of what will be my test program for Bronze FS. The alt 3's aren't that bad. In fact, they're starting to look like alt 3's! :P I warmed up with the prelim crossovers moves at the beginning, so I know I've been doing them too!

I have one fellow skater who hasn't seen me in a year and she took one look at my practicing the Bronze moves and was this --> 8O . She said for me to say hi to my primary coach and to tell him that she thinks that I should have no problem passing Bronze Moves next month! I hope she's right! :P

Duds:
I'm still having what dbny calls it a "blinker" problem... The way I'm landing my jumps right now, if a judge blinks, they won't catch that I'm toe tapping my landing. BAD me!!! :twisted: Am actually landing my flips cleaner than my loops in fact. :roll: :frus:

Also a problem... my prelim spirals SUCKS!!! They defintely don't look anything like prelim spirals!!! Hate 'em! Hate 'em!!! :frus:

blue111moon
07-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Dud: Sometime last week, the case with ALL my CDs vanished into a black hole. I'm assuming that one of the kids picked it up by mistake and it will turn up eventually, but meanwhile, I have no music to practice to. AND I have a competition on Saturday. Since singing while I skate is not possible, I thought I'd have to withdraw. No great loss, since my ankle's still so weak and painful that the program sucks zamboni chum big time.

However......

Fireworks: I put in an emergency call to my Music Guy and he burned another copy of the FS music for me. Tomorrow I'll pick it up from him and be good to go. As for the program, well, at least I'll get to wear my Pretty New Sparkly Dress again. :)

Mrs Redboots
07-03-2006, 10:06 AM
No duds, I don't think. All our fireworks went off!

We managed to rejig Poisoning Pigeons to our own satisfaction - Husband suggested, sensibly, putting a pivot spiral in instead of the lift. But then Coach2 pointed out that there were two Technical Merit marks and we had very little technical in it (huh? Okay, not a lot, but some!) so we had better put in a couple of jumps. So Husband decided to do his sal-cherry combo and then straight down into his hydroblade, which is a combination worthy of the NJS, if you ask me!

At which point it was time to leave the rink, not having done a single runthrough with the new choreography and the props. Not that it mattered, we knew what we were doing, I think.

After which, we were extremely busy all day and then came rushing back to compete in the Lambeth Festival, which was held in the evening.

Sandra Dee went very well and both the audience and the judges giggled appreciatively. I finished 3rd out of 5 over all, with 2 3rd place ordinals, 2 2nd (from non-technical judges!) and 1 4th. Very gratifying, as it's the first time in the history of the universe I've ever - ever - managed to finish not last at my home rink! Pigeons also made everybody laugh, and, oddly, finished 2nd out of 3. I'd expected either to win or to come last, depending on what the judges liked. In fact, we did have two first-place ordinals (from the non-technical judges, needless to say), one third (well, there was no pairs skating in it!) and a two 2nd.

So I think, after the last four days, it is definitely fair to say that we are beginning to come off the bottom now! :D :D :D

But there is still a mighty long way to go!

We were amused to learn that the person doing the scoring was Tashakat's old partner's former partner - the one before Tashakat! He's still skating, of course.... but they aren't!

flo
07-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Fireworks!
I also had a great time meeting everyone at the Pond. It was a wonderful session and we all got to get in some good skating, and then eating!

Debbie S
07-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Fireworks: Had the day off from work today so I got to skate on 2 very light morning sessions. Also skated on 2 very uncrowded sessions on Sat morning. All told, I got a lot of work done. I was able to run through my FS program several times and got some good practice on spins, jumps, and moves. I think my backspin has returned (shhhh - don't tell anyone, I don't want to jinx it! :lol: ).

Duds: I was warming up at the beginning of the first session this morning and all of the sudden felt a stab of pain in my back. On crossovers? 8O :twisted: I stepped off the ice, stretched (which I had done before I got on the ice, so it's not like I wasn't prepared for moving around), and got back on, but this was not good. I thought, OK, it's a moves practice - but doing moves (at least the 3-turns in the field) requires some twisting and turning of your back - OK, forget moves. I worked on spins, and footwork, and then finally decided I had to work on jumps and start running through my program. As I write this, I've got a heating pad on my back. Grrrr.

Sk8pdx
07-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Duds:
My home rink is closed for maintainence this week so it is throwing off my whole practice/lesson schedule. I am able to practice at other places but the ice is not as nice. I guess ice that is not so good is better than no ice at all.

Fireworks:
Got some great advice on 5 step mohawk and how to avoid stepping at a diagonal on the long axis from Icedancer2. :bow: I just might take up judging. :)

If progress keeps going this nicely, I think I'll set it a goal to test in December.

I'm still working on Loop. It is inching it's way along at a snail's pace. More back outside edge practice is helping. Now I just need to get the rest of me to coordinate (shoulders, arms, rotation, knee bend...)I am still confident that my baby loop will grow up someday.

Pairs practice went very well on Saturday. Even a simple upright spin is such a rush of adrenaline, it is waay better than chocolate! I am finding side by side elements to be the most challenging. It isn't so much the element such as side by side spin, or toe loop etc.. so much as thinking like One skater -- together. :?? Both a weird and fun thing to conquer.

Terri C
07-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Fireworks:
This past Saturday and today, I was blessed with great ice and hardly any skaters on freestyle. So what have I done since the ice is so empty?
I actually started to play with figures to improve my edging and the forward outside three to center is for getting more secure three turns on my power threes.
And it paid off in practicing moves on Saturday!!

Duds:
No sound system in the rink today.
Felt either tired or unmotivated or something.
Will not skate again till either Wednesday or Thursday.

But... will skate everyday next week when I'm on vacation from work!!! 8-)

Skittl1321
07-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Fireworks: Great lesson tonight. I wore a skirt for the first time ever and loved the feeling. I felt like a real skater even if I might still look like a beginner. I was very pleased. My mohawks from left to right were awesome, My FO3s were great, now have a basic T-stop. Everything was wonderful.

Dud: My last lesson- we move next week, and hopefully then I can afford ice time- I still have no job lined up. I'm still waiting on the exchange from Rainbo sports- so still no new skates.

doubletoe
07-03-2006, 08:13 PM
I am about to debut my new program at a competition in less than 2 weeks and today I went to practice at the competition rink. I also had the final fitting of the dress I'm having made.

Fireworks: Due to the soft, springy ice, I did the best camel spin I've done all year, and also landed a huge double sal on the first try. And the dress fits perfectly (whew!).

Duds: Unfortunately, the soft ice also means less glide per push. When I got a little less power than usual going into my change edge spiral, it ended up fizzling out right after the change of edge. Yikes! That never happens on the hard ice I'm used to skating on at my home rink! :?? The layout of the rink and location of the judges is also the opposite from the 3 rinks I normally practice at, and it's messing me up more than I expected. I sure hope I don't come out of a spin and start skating the wrong direction, LOL!

Mrs Redboots
07-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Duds: Acting on the principle that these things have to get worse before they can get better, the Husband seemed to be in quite some pain this morning. So, of course, he was talking about having broken his ribs... I don't think so! If he had, he'd have been in a lot more serious pain on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.... he says driving is the worst.

So he didn't skate much today - he said even standing on a LFO edge was painful, but it seemed to get better as he went along. And we were working on our waltz hold, and trying to do waltz 3s round each other, so he did a LFO3 and then winced elaborately.... we reckon he's probably pulled a muscle, but will he take pain-killer? You guess! Sheesh, men.....

So we worked on our waltz hold, and I think made a bit of difference - I still find it hard to keep my shoulders open the way I should when I'm dancing with him, and I think he does, too. Then we worked on the Fiesta Tango which was a bit disheartening, although it is so much better than it ever was.

After he'd gone, I worked on the Fiesta solo, which was even more disheartening, and on my dance moves, which were fine until I saw my tracings..... deep sigh. And even my plain vanilla back outside edges are dire. Practice, practice, practice.....

Fireworks: But I finished on a high note, managing to do a relatively good Russian stroking pattern with just one crossover in the middle, first time I've managed that, and the Bronze change-of-edge exercise wasn't good, but it was a lot better, and covered more ice, than I've managed so far!

NickiT
07-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Duds: Acting on the principle that these things have to get worse before they can get better, the Husband seemed to be in quite some pain this morning. So, of course, he was talking about having broken his ribs... I don't think so! If he had, he'd have been in a lot more serious pain on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.... he says driving is the worst.

Ooh I do hope he feels better soon and that he hasn't done too much damage. I took a hard fall on my ribs a couple of years back. I actually heard a crack as I hit the ice and I couldn't inhale properly for several days afterwards. A trip to minor injuries was called for and they diagnosed torn intercostal muscles and most likely a cracked rib too. I was ordered not to skate for a month but was back once I felt better after three. Yours was quite a nasty fall and given the adrenaline flowing I doubt it would have hurt at the time, but understandably will be quite tender now. Send him my best regards! Oh and I must check the lost property this afternoon for his fleece!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
07-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Ooh I do hope he feels better soon and that he hasn't done too much damage. I took a hard fall on my ribs a couple of years back. I actually heard a crack as I hit the ice and I couldn't inhale properly for several days afterwards. A trip to minor injuries was called for and they diagnosed torn intercostal muscles and most likely a cracked rib too. I was ordered not to skate for a month but was back once I felt better after three. Yours was quite a nasty fall and given the adrenaline flowing I doubt it would have hurt at the time, but understandably will be quite tender now. Send him my best regards! Oh and I must check the lost property this afternoon for his fleece!

NickiI don't think it's worse than a torn muscle, as it would have hurt worse a lot sooner than it did. I really think it has been all that driving that has aggravated it - we had a long drive on Sunday (I did offer, but...) and then he had to go on-site yesterday and said it was very sore when he came home. But there, he wouldn't even let me drive down to the rink this morning, so it can't be that bad. And he says that it gets easier with movement, rather than stiffer.

Thanks for checking re the fleece; it hadn't been handed in on Monday, so let's hope it has been by now!

I'm still fine - I was very stiff all over on Saturday, but have been fine since. Mind you, I did land soft.....

mikawendy
07-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Fireworks:
Had fun meeting everyone at the Pond, and the food after was great. Skate@Delaware, can I borrow your LFO spiral sometime? :D

Sunday, skated two sessions that weren't very crowded--the second session was just me and 3 other skaters. Worked a lot on the three turns in the field. BO3s are improved, and BI3s happen more when I remember to get my shoulders placed right and look in the correct direction. Lobe size and flow isn't there yet, though. Same with 8 step....

Duds:
Lutz attempts. Grrr.

NickiT
07-04-2006, 11:52 AM
I don't think it's worse than a torn muscle, as it would have hurt worse a lot sooner than it did. I really think it has been all that driving that has aggravated it - we had a long drive on Sunday (I did offer, but...) and then he had to go on-site yesterday and said it was very sore when he came home. But there, he wouldn't even let me drive down to the rink this morning, so it can't be that bad. And he says that it gets easier with movement, rather than stiffer.

Thanks for checking re the fleece; it hadn't been handed in on Monday, so let's hope it has been by now!

I'm still fine - I was very stiff all over on Saturday, but have been fine since. Mind you, I did land soft.....

Here's hoping he feels better very soon.

I picked up his fleece today so if you pm me your address I can get it in the post to you since I doubt I'll see you before the autumn.

Nicki

Rusty Blades
07-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Duds!:cry: Haven't skated since June 23, haven't even been able to get motivated to work out.

Fireworks! :mrgreen: I start "summer skating school" tomorrow, meet my new (summer) coach, 45 minutes sessions for 2 weeks, then two hour sessions until August 18! WAHOO!

Duds!:cry: Being bored stiff being off the ice, I was playing around with one-legged Bosu balance exercises, spins and turns on the spin trainer, and "kitchen floor skating" yesterday. (I am a re-beginner and don't even have my backward edges yet but the mind remembers a lot of moves.) Since my strength has improved considerably, I was playing with jump takeoffs and rotations and everything went well up to the axel takeoff - sharp pain in the takeoff knee - OH OH! (I smashed my knees at age 19 and that's what took me out of skating.) Scary! We are NOT going to try that again for a LONG time!

BatikatII
07-04-2006, 12:10 PM
first lesson since the open. I'm still trying to make sense of my marks (one judge marking me hugely lower than just about everyone else adn the
othertwo judges.

Fireworks: Anyway, wouldn't you know, I did a perfectly decent loop and flip at first time of asking today. Coach just looks bemused - 'how come you can do it great and then you just can't?' well I wish I knew.

Mind he did say my flip had actually been big and strong on one day last week and I need to get back to doing them like that. Well I wish I could too!

I think my boots are finally feeling like mine - I really enjoyed doing alternating waltz 3's today and felt I was really getting down in the knees again which is a relief after hardly being able to bend them since the new boots. Pity they hadn't felt so good last week.

DUD; coach has hurt his back trying to lift boulders in his garden but still managed ot give me a lesson. Hope he's better soon.

icedancer2
07-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Major fireworks: The BI 3 is BACK!!! I used to do figures and could do all of the 3s, but that darn BI 3 has been gone, like, forever!! I was watching a friend of mine take a lesson from his coach on those 3s and overhearing her instructions, and I got it!! I gave her a hug (should have paid her!!) -- so exciting! (Hijacking lessons is about as bad as hijacking threads!).

Also met sk8pdx at my rink this week and had fun talking with her and working a little on Bronze Moves, which we are both working on. Maybe talking her into becoming a judge, among other things!(;) ).

Major dud: The ice is worse than ever!!! School is out, the munchkins are out in droves, and one of the other rinks is closed this week!! And the bad spot (whole side) of the rink is lumpy-bumpy galore because of some sealing problems... will probably be like this forever!!!

On the other hand, I think this is the only rink in town open on 4th of July, with a normal schedule! How great is that?

And the people are nice, too.

Skate@Delaware
07-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Fireworks:
Had fun meeting everyone at the Pond, and the food after was great. Skate@Delaware, can I borrow your LFO spiral sometime? :D
You can borrow my spiral anytime you want to, I've not been using it lately!

I really had a great time with everyone up at The Pond! And, the food was really nice, it was good to try stuff I've never had before!

Sonic
07-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Fireworks
First skate this evening for a week, due to dodgy right foot still. Didn't dare practise jumps, but spins and edges are coming on. Managed 6 revolutions on a sit spin and 4 on a camel

Duds

Jumps!! I am SOOOOOOOO frustrated with this foot problem. :frus:

I was getting to grips with loops and was starting to land the odd flip. Now it's all gone out the window.

Avery good skater at the rink suggested trying jumps on the other foot. By the end of the session I'd just about managed a waltz jump. (Not so much a jump, but got air between the ice and my feet lol!)

One of my friends at the rink has almost perfected waltz jumps off both feet. I am so jealous!:bow:

mintypoppet
07-04-2006, 04:54 PM
One of my friends at the rink has almost perfected waltz jumps off both feet. I am so jealous!:bow:

We need to make this into a running game - do you think you can manage to conjure up something dastardly for us to try next week, which she won't shame us with? :twisted:

BatikatII
07-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Avery good skater at the rink suggested trying jumps on the other foot. By the end of the session I'd just about managed a waltz jump. (Not so much a jump, but got air between the ice and my feet lol!)

Jumping the other way is very good for you! Never thought I'd say that but since my coach has been making me do it I realise how much it helps with confidence and technique when you go back to the right way.

My coach makes me do lengths of the rink doing alternating waltz jumps (3 jumps) ans then alternating salchows and toe-loops. you know you are improving when you get to the end of thw rink and can't actually remember which is your 'good' way. My coach also managed to confuse me so much doing this that I would happily do flips because I 'thought' I was doing toe-loops!!!!

mintypoppet
07-04-2006, 05:49 PM
My coach makes me do lengths of the rink doing alternating waltz jumps (3 jumps) ans then alternating salchows and toe-loops.

Ooh, now there's an idea! CW salchows Sonic? :twisted:

sk8pics
07-04-2006, 07:11 PM
I, too, had a great time at the Pond with the whole crew, even though some of you were late :halo: ;) and then I had a lesson too (I'd missed a lesson the day before and I need all the help I can get!) I'm glad everyone liked the food, too. Home Grown is one of my favorite places to eat in Newark!

I had a good lesson and practice on Sunday and Monday, with my primary coach on Sunday and on Monday with one of my other part-time (although lately pretty frequent) coaches. My back spirals have improved to the point that in Monday's lesson my coach was nonplussed to see me doing the left back spiral with more height than my RFO spiral, which has always been my best. 8-) I was so tired by the end, though, that I could hardly stand up!

Happy skating everyone!

(AHEM, waiting to see pictures on line... :halo: )

Sk8pdx
07-04-2006, 10:56 PM
...Also met sk8pdx at my rink this week and had fun talking with her and working a little on Bronze Moves, which we are both working on. Maybe talking her into becoming a judge, among other things!(;) ).

A judge yes, ice dancer, no. Pairs is my passion!:P

Major dud: The ice is worse than ever!!! School is out, the munchkins are out in droves, and one of the other rinks is closed this week!! And the bad spot (whole side) of the rink is lumpy-bumpy galore because of some sealing problems... will probably be like this forever!!!

On the other hand, I think this is the only rink in town open on 4th of July, with a normal schedule! How great is that?

And the people are nice, too.

Dud:Totally crappy ice! I could hold edges better in a gravel pit.:lol: but like I said earlier, I guess crappy ice is better than no ice at all. :roll:

Fireworks: Yes, the people are very pleasant and it was great that it was the only rink open even though it is a holiday!:bow:

dbny
07-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Fireworks:
Meeting Skate@Delaware, Sk8pics, flo, and Mikawendy at the Pond was lots of fun, as was dinner afterwards. I especially appreciated Sk8pics' choice of restaurant! The food was excellent, the ambiance pleasant, and it was quiet enough for conversation. Isk8NYC will be posting a pic or pix when she gets back from her mini vacation.

Dud:
Not being an early riser, I was too tired to do much skating that day, since I had to be at a seminar at 8:30 that morning. To add insult to injury, the seminar was in a glassed in room over the bleachers at the Rust Arena (U Del), and we could hear great music and knew that there was elite practice going on behind us all the time. It seemed that every time we had a break, the Zamboni came out :x. Finally, the next to last speaker mentioned how he had enjoyed seeing Kimmie Meisner practice that morning :x :x :x. At the end of the seminar, Isk8NYC and I took the PSA Basic Accreditation test, after which I basically crashed.

Annabel - hope Robert feels better soon!

Thin-Ice
07-05-2006, 03:18 AM
Major fireworks: The BI 3 is BACK!!! I used to do figures and could do all of the 3s, but that darn BI 3 has been gone, like, forever!! I was watching a friend of mine take a lesson from his coach on those 3s and overhearing her instructions, and I got it!! I gave her a hug (should have paid her!!) -- so exciting!

OK, here's your chance to pass along the good karma/instructions.... What BI-3 instructions did you hear that helped? (I'm always searching for the key phrase my brain will accept that will lead me to consistent BI3s!) I've been working on these for a while.. and sometimes they are there, and sometimes they disappear. And I just know one of these days my brain will actually tune into AND retain the words/tone of voice/image/feeling that makes these consistent again. (I did pass the US Pre-Juve MITF test.. that these are on.. so at one point I had them... I just seem to have misplaced them for uh, well, uhm... a WHILE.:frus: :lol: :frus: :roll: )

Sonic
07-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Ooh, now there's an idea! CW salchows Sonic? :twisted:

ooooh, now there's a thought....you're evil lol!:lol:

Only problem is, by the time I get back on the ice when this darn foot's fixed you two will be doing axels off both feet, never mind waltz jumps (whinge, whinge...:cry:

Never mind, I use the time off the ice to think to come up with something evil to get my own back...

S xx

Mrs Redboots
07-05-2006, 05:58 AM
Duds: Husband is better, but wouldn't skate this morning. I still don't know whether we are going to Alexandra Palace this evening, which is seriously annoying for several reasons:

I didn't know whether to leave the rink straight after my lesson or to stay on and work for another half-hour.
I don't know whether to let the Daughter know whether or not to expect us to call in briefly.
I don't know whether to have supper ready for 18:30, or not until our more usual 20:00. Sigh!

Meanwhile, he now has a big bruise on his back - not as impressive as some I've seen recently, but it's a very definite bruise. He came home last night and said it felt much, much better, but still swallowed ibuprofen and anointed himself with it, too. He can breathe deeply, but coughing hurts (well, it would, wouldn't it).

So I went to the rink by myself, and skated alone, except for my lesson.

Fireworks: Mostly concentrated on backwards skating, dance moves and plain vanilla back edges. Coach1 was fairly encouraging, pointing out that the moves have only fallen apart because we are taking them up a level to the point where they should be testable. And at the end of the lesson I was managing my back edges much better than yesterday, or even earlier today! So I finished by showing-off the Russian stroking I'd finished with yesterday, and Coach1 said he'd never seen me do that better!

So it looks as though the way forward will be to practice stroking backwards in hold with the Husband just the way we have worked on our forwards stroking. Hmmm..... won't be easy!

samba
07-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Fireworks: Mostly concentrated on backwards skating, dance moves and plain vanilla back edges. Coach1 was fairly encouraging, pointing out that the moves have only fallen apart because we are taking them up a level to the point where they should be testable. And at the end of the lesson I was managing my back edges much better than yesterday, or even earlier today! So I finished by showing-off the Russian stroking I'd finished with yesterday, and Coach1 said he'd never seen me do that better!

Vanilla back edges? I wish I knew what all these names meant. Thanks to you Annabel I now know what Russian Stroking is, its that thing that I can only do on my right foot, glad you can do it though.
David Seaman does it perfectly, I guess I had better take up football!!

Mrs Redboots
07-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Vanilla back edges? I mean as in "plain vanilla" - no chasses, no swing rolls, no cross-rolls, no nothing, just plain back outside edges!

samba
07-05-2006, 08:54 AM
I mean as in "plain vanilla" - no chasses, no swing rolls, no cross-rolls, no nothing, just plain back outside edges!
Oh, that makes sense, funny you should mention that, now I have a hankering for an ice cream :lol: the fridge is beckoning, thanks.

LilJen
07-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Fireworks:

The new boots got stretched (were a little pinchy). For the first half hour or so of skating today, I thought, naah, that wasn't enough, I gotta try something else, my feet hurt and are falling asleep. . . then all of a sudden, after I'd been working for a while, I noticed my feet didn't hurt any more!!! Sooooo nice to have pain-free feet, and the pressure on my ankles that was bugging me last week wasn't there at all either!

Duds:

I wish I was nearer to the rink. I'd be there all the time. I'm 37 and am so very impatient to improve but I can't spend all my waking hours commuting back & forth (there's that pesky thing called a "life" that I must take care of!). . . guess I *still* need to learn some patience! Seriously bad case of Adult Onset Skating Syndrome here. . .

Skate@Delaware
07-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I wish I was nearer to the rink. I'd be there all the time. I'm 37 and am so very impatient to improve but I can't spend all my waking hours commuting back & forth (there's that pesky thing called a "life" that I must take care of!). . . guess I *still* need to learn some patience! Seriously bad case of Adult Onset Skating Syndrome here. . .
I know exactly what you mean! Suddenly, the overskating blahs I had back in April have disappeared and I suddenly WANT to skate again! AND (miracle of miracles) the long drive up north doesn't seem that bad......

still wouldn't mind winning the lotto, tho'!!!

Rusty Blades
07-05-2006, 05:03 PM
FIREWORKS! FINALLY back on the ice! :mrgreen: First day of "Summer Skating School", met my new summer coach (who's young enough to be my daughter!), and to find out what has evaporated since Spring School ended in May. To my amazement, not a whole lot was gone 8-) - pretty much where I left off. By the end of the sesson, even my backward skating was starting to come back (I was just beginning to flirt with backward edges in May). Forward one-foot glides were better than May (thanks to spending June one-footed on a Bosu ;) )

I wasn't expecting to have a "full time coach" but since I was her only student today I was under constant supervision :lol: That's certainly going to pick up the pace of my learning!

DUDS This week and next the sessions are only 45 minutes (3 times a week). :( (They go to 2 hours after that.)

I am SOOOOOO pleased to find out a month's layoff didn't give my minuscule skills a chance to totally evaporate!

icedancer2
07-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Fireworks: The ice was decent today!! They got a new blade for the zam and it really made a difference!! And here I thought this was going to be a permanent fixture at the rink.

Duds: BI 3s, which I got back yesterday, weren't as good. Looks like I need a little lesson!!:)

mikawendy
07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
I, too, had a great time at the Pond with the whole crew, even though some of you were late :halo: ;) and then I had a lesson too (I'd missed a lesson the day before and I need all the help I can get!) I'm glad everyone liked the food, too. Home Grown is one of my favorite places to eat in Newark!...

...(AHEM, waiting to see pictures on line... :halo: )

Sorry, can't help you there! My pics were taken on my analog camera, and I'm only a few pics into the roll. (My husband's digital camera has an intolerable wait between being able to take pictures, so I didn't bring it with me. I discovered this frustrating feature when I was trying to take pictures of the team event at last year's Halloween Classic! I missed all the good action shots.)

jazzpants
07-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Duds:

5 step mohawks: Going weird on me!!! I'm having trouble again on the RFI mohawks again and secondary coach is trying to fix it. Don't know what happened though... it was fine Monday night. It's not that I can't do them... but just that I have to "wide step" on that first step to do them.

Power 3's: Good news and bad news. Good news... my LFO3 side is getting strong. Bad news... it's now making my RFO3 look REALLY bad!!! :twisted: (It's now a bit slower than the LFO3 and I have to go fix the RFO3's so I would accelerate throughout the move. (Yup! I'm going for kiddie standard here!) :D

Fireworks:
Eh... that was last night!!! :P Am going to skip the gym and go to bed early tonight to catch up on some much needed sleep!!! Night, night!!! http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/edoom/sleeping.gif

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/muede/k010.gif

BatikatII
07-06-2006, 08:12 AM
DUD; well yesterday everything was a dud. I went in just to have a practice and for some reason just couldnt skate. Could not do a Flip or even a loop to save my life. Everything just felt wrong. I could barely even manage a 3 jump - scary!
Fireworks: I've changed my programme round completely and coach doesnt' mind - well if he does he is doing a good job of hiding it.:lol: I know I could have persevered and got more speed and flow into the original choreography eventually but I felt that moving things about just would make me feel more comfortable with the programme. So I've swapped the flip and toeloop over so now I can do the toeloop earlier with speed and do the Flip from a drag which will slow me down anyway and coach gave me some good tips for checking and focusing after the drag. I've moved up the sitspin so instead of following my iffy flip it comes near the start of the programme which has meant sacrificing some nice steppy things that go lovely with the music but slowed things down a lot and now the elements are more balanced. I feel happier with it this way so hopefully will start being able to perform it better.

Loop and flip came back no problem today and I even did one flip I felt quite proud of! Sit spin needs a lot more work though - can't seem to find the right spot on these blades though the upright spin is fine. Must try and find more than 3 hours a week to skate.

Also just heard we are finally getting the new male dance coach - I may want to take up dance again!!!!!!

NickiT
07-06-2006, 08:28 AM
DUD; well yesterday everything was a dud. I went in just to have a practice and for some reason just couldnt skate. Could not do a Flip or even a loop to save my life. Everything just felt wrong. I could barely even manage a 3 jump - scary!
I was exactly the same yesterday. Everything felt awful. I guess it's down to not skating since Tuesday last week apart from the competition. I always feel a bit flat after competing so this probably didn't help. Oh well, doing some axel work at long last tomorrow. I need a new challenge!

Also just heard we are finally getting the new male dance coach - I may want to take up dance again!!!!!!
Woohoo! At long last! Now all we need is one more free skating coach and our rink should be sorted. Can't see it happening though.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
07-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Also just heard we are finally getting the new male dance coach - I may want to take up dance again!!!!!!I heard that last week, but I'm not sure if it was as confirmed news, or just a rumour. I'm so pleased for you all!

Isk8NYC
07-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Fireworks:
Had a wonderful time skating (and eating) in Delaware! It was nice to meet Flo, Mikawendy and Skate@Delaware, all of whom are great skaters in their own right. (I already knew DBNY and Sk8pics were great from our last meeting with Jazzpants.)

Duds:
After we move, I'm going to force some skating time into my schedule. I spend time on the ice, but it's all teaching time. Isn't helping my now-weak self to skate well and I've lost so much strength and control, it's sad. (Always fun, but still very sad.)

Isk8NYC will be posting a pic or pix when she gets back from her mini vacation.I drove from NY to Delaware and back, then got in the car for an 11-hour one-way trip to Virginia. Arrived home (after a 10-hour return tip) at 4am on the 5th. Haven't unpacked, much less unloaded, my camera yet, but I'll post the pictures tonight or tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!

phoenix
07-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Dud: Woke up yesterday w/ a terribly stiff neck, painful to move in any direction! Aagh, competition is Friday & new choreography given to me on Monday, & haven't practiced it yet! Stayed off the ice & did very careful stretching. Chiropractor was all booked up & couldn't get me in until this afternoon.

Fireworks: Went out & bought 2 new pillows yesterday, thinking that was likely the culprit. Tried one out last night--'memory foam', just a little half-bolster sort of thing. Amazingly I slept very well on it & the neck felt much better this morning. So went in to teach & then try to skate. Not bad--a little tentative & off balance, but I think I'll go ahead w/ the competition, just for the experience.

Dud again: Twizzles were definintely off today, balance really off center. And I'm really wishing I'd chosen slower music for my tango, I see the other girls working on theirs doing all kinds of neat footwork, which I don't have because I'm just barreling down the ice trying to keep up w/ the tempo! Too late to change it now though..... *sigh*

twinkle
07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Woohoo! At long last! Now all we need is one more free skating coach and our rink should be sorted. Can't see it happening though.

Nicki

Someone just needs to sort for Batikat's coach's daughter to come back.

jazzpants
07-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Fireworks:

Survived Bronze Moves lesson.
(Even more importantly...) survived Primary coach!!!! :twisted:
Second run thrus were better.
Lesson learned: REST UP before a lesson!!! I'll have to adjust my bedtime or something...
Watched primary coach's new program for Gay Games! (Yes, he is back competing again! I think he's doing both a FS event and a Pairs event...) ;)Duds:

Still could be better. It's not a bad runthru but primary coach is still not totally happy with the Bronze Moves on the first run thrus.
5 step mohawks still need more work... First half of the pattern was really good on the timing. Second half... not so good... (I think my energy level is going about there.
Lower back is bothering me on the left side after the lesson. Oh, dear... :cry:

kittie067
07-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Fireworks:
Had an hour freestyle lesson, and got to work on everything except moves. I think my salchow is finally getting better, and my waltz jumps werent to bad either. My toe loops were kind of sloppy though. My loops were good today, but my flips wouldnt work. I did one nice camel spin, but my camel sit wouldnt work!! (I did several nice ones yesterday, but of course not in front of my coach!:frus: ) My sit spins were really good, even other coaches noticed!!

Dance went fairly well, although my swing rolls are out of control again.:roll: Im finally learning the dutch waltz!!

Duds:

Fell backwards on a loop and almost hit my head (scary!), also managed to fall enough to feel all sore now...

~kitty

Start a new program next week!!

Any tips on flips?

Casey
07-06-2006, 02:47 PM
FIREWORKS!!

Wheee...I bought a 4GB iPod Nano with a belt clippy thing, and I must say that it is the best thing for skating ever. Skated all session without getting bored at all, skated well to loads of music, and didn't even use 1/10th of the battery.

Footwork seems to be coming out of nowhere, but I can't complain about that at all.

More variety of motivating music means more good skating! :D

kateskate
07-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Ok not posted on this before so here goes....

Fireworks
Did the Paso Doble again in my lesson. I like learning new, really hard dances way beyond my level - I can't do them but its fun. Its a treat at the mo - a break from competition stuff. And its good practice for me to skate with my teacher as I am useless at skating with a person.

But we did also work on the ending of my free dance. Now that the competition is over we can redo it. I did loops (the twirly things on the ice (in the new level 10 field moves) not the jump). Need to practise them though.

I've had a new found enthusiasm for field moves of late. Since passing my inter bronze field moves (a test I thought was light years away from me because of the back outside 3s) I find field moves fun to practise. I want to start trying the bronze moves before they change the systems over. Lots of double 3s though. yikes

Started to redo my free programme too. Going for style over difficulty since I was the only one who tried a double in my free skating comp. We'll see. Not sure I have any style........

Duds
Axels. As always. Will I ever get it back to how it was? 6mths ago I was practically there - I landed a few good ones and now just worse worse worse.

Very nearly kicked my dance teacher over on the paso doble. Never good.

And I suffered my usual coordination stupidity. I always get myself in a tangle getting new steps in my head. I got it eventually. Was a case of me lifting my left leg when I was supposed to be lifting my right one!

Skate@Delaware
07-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Fireworks:
Went skating today (on public session-we pulled into the parking lot to see a bus unload kids from a summer camp 8O but it wasn't all that bad). Just glad to go skating again!
Didn't really "work" on things but ran through stuff, ok, yes I did "work" on my salchow which has gotten sloppy. I'm trying to keep my free leg straighter. And I did some really nice spirals.

Duds:
Worked on spins, but they weren't too great, as I've been having a 3-day migraine so my balance was "iffy." Did manage about 3 centered. Then I thought I'd work on some loops......I can do 1/2 loops, but now I'm spoiled for regular loops...:frus: :frus: :frus: can't keep that free leg FREE and UP!!!! DARN!!! Actually today's efforts were much better than any previous efforts so I will keep trying. I actually had one try where it was only a toe-tap!

Close.....so very close! Now if only I can get that darn sitspin!!!! I'd like to surprise my coach in September with these 2 things!!!

Terri C
07-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Fireworks:
Have some new freestyle elements sneaking in practice today!!
Getting better at the outside three to center figure.

Duds:
Too many beginners on lessons, so it deterred me from working whole patterns of Bronze moves. Also while trying to get a good edge on the RFO for the power threes, I have a tendency to rock onto the toepick. I'll be back to having lessons next week, so I'll have coaches look at it and see.

BatikatII
07-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Someone just needs to sort for Batikat's coach's daughter to come back.

Oh if only. Don't think it will happen for a good few years yet as she said she needs several more years before she can get a proper residency permit or whatever that will allow her to work as a self-employed coach. It's such a waste:cry: :cry:

Debbie S
07-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Fireworks: Did a couple of nice backspins (that is, the spinning part) - I'm getting the hang of the back pivot entry, which will hopefully translate well to the change sit. Unfortunately, I still mess up on the spin exit. :frus: I also ran through the alt 3 pattern for my CM event at Wilmington. They weren't that bad - it's been 2 years since I passed Pre-Bronze MIF, and I swore that I'd never do the alt 3's again - lol.

Duds: The rink was insanely crowded. Since one of the 3 major rinks in our area (where I usually skate during the week) is closed until September to redo the ice, the other 2 rinks are packed. I'm guessing there were about 20 people on the ice tonight, and b/c this rink is smaller than normal rink size, it was crazy. My back was better from Monday, though, but then of course I had to go and fall on my knee. I got off for a few minutes, one of the skating moms brought me ice, and I decided to get back on - hey, I paid for it. Ever feel like you're a walking emergency room? :giveup:

rf3ray
07-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Fireworks:Landed the axel again

Duds:Havent landed 2Sal yet, and single loop jumps suck

Mrs Redboots
07-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Duds: Well, I suppose I didn't spend the entire morning doing back progressive runs with the wrong push, but it feels like it now! I suddenly realised, when I got off the ice, that I hadn't been doing the correct outside-edge push (Schaffer push?) that would have helped me get a more solid BI edge. As it was, the clockwise ones practically didn't happen, and the anti-clockwise ones, which I spent hours on as it's so useful for the Fiesta Tango, were clunky. I'm tempted to go back tonight and have another go, but probably won't. We may skate in the morning, as Husband couldn't skate this morning as he had to go to Leeds on business. However, I did manage to get on edges a bit, remembering what my very first coach had told me about pushing my leading hand on to the ice.

The ice was pretty poor quality - lots of speed bumps, and you were apt to get dripped on. Oh, the joys of high humidity.....

Could be worse: Other than back edges, I worked on - well, back edges! Pretty dire. I certainly can't do the length of the rink in 4 pushes backwards, even 8 is pushing it. I can just do 4 chassés, but it's clunky, and six is easier. Back cross-rolls and cross-cuts just beginning to come together again, and I actually managed a few very tentative edges on them!

A friend was working on back changes-of-edge, which is harder than it either sounds or looks. I had a go, just because.

Did a good Bronze FM change-of-edge exercise - best I've ever done it. But why, oh why, do I invariably lose control of my shoulders on the 3rd change? Russian stroking not just so good today, but that may have been the ice.

Fireworks: Ummmm, my shins ache, which usually means I've been bending my knees more? I'm not desperately pleased with anything this morning, except the Bronze changes-of-edge, and even they need a lot of work!

blue111moon
07-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Fireworks: Good lesson last night. For some unknown reason, I could spin and spin well, even though my ankle ached just putting on the boot. With the competition coming up on Saturday, I did program run-throughs, a couple of whole ones and a bunch of bits-and-pieces ones. They went well - or as good as they can be - so I have hopes of getting through the event without total disaster.

Dud: Still no loop jump and my stamina is nil.

Rusty Blades
07-07-2006, 04:52 PM
DUDS: A hot muggy night and a poor sleep we bound to effect performance. Yup, sure did... It’s just as well my coach was detained by other business because today was “hang on to everything and try not to lose it” day. Legs were stiff and weak, balance was poor, even my vision was suffering from a poor night’s sleep!

Worked on all the same re-beginner stuff: forward stroking, one foot glides, forward edges went easy on the backward glide with the balance off but did manage to turn some of them into what could pass for "controlled circles".

FIREWORKS Ok, itty-bitty pip-squeak firecrackers . . . I started playing around with forward Change Of Edges. It took a little while to start getting the hang of it and find my balance, but it did start to come together

Could have been better, could have been worse. . . .

(This must be SO boring for people working on jumps and spins? Oh well, this is "where I'm at", as the young people say.)

Skate@Delaware
07-07-2006, 05:07 PM
FIREWORKS Ok, itty-bitty pip-squeak firecrackers . . . I started playing around with forward Change Of Edges. It took a little while to start getting the hang of it and find my balance, but it did start to come together

Could have been better, could have been worse. . . .

(This must be SO boring for people working on jumps and spins? Oh well, this is "where I'm at", as the young people say.)
People working on jumps and spins STILL work on edges and stroking (or should be!!!) There is always room for improvement in everything.

This is interesting....I just checked out a book from the library "Basis Ice Skating Skills" by Robert Ogilivie (dated 1968!) because I needed reference on 3-turns, edges, mohawks and a few other things!

mikawendy
07-07-2006, 05:22 PM
People working on jumps and spins STILL work on edges and stroking (or should be!!!) There is always room for improvement in everything.

This is interesting....I just checked out a book from the library "Basis Ice Skating Skills" by Robert Ogilivie (dated 1968!) because I needed reference on 3-turns, edges, mohawks and a few other things!

Skate@Delaware, I've met Mr. Ogilvie! He's a member of flo's club (and a very well feted one at that, judging from the applause as he blew out the candles on his birthday cake). I got him to sign a copy of his book for parents about competitive figure skating. It's interesting--has a whole chapter on figures.

Mrs Redboots
07-08-2006, 04:41 AM
Rustyblades, this is all about edges! Well, apart from digressions such as:

Duds: Coach2 rang up last night and said that there was no ice at all on Tuesday because they are filming all day. Nobody knows what - as far as we know, nobody has been asked to be extras or anything. So anyway, would it be all right if we had our couples lesson tomorrow at 08:15, instead of Tuesday, and probably my solo lesson could be fitted in on Wednesday after the tests. So we went skating today.

Fireworks: We got some good work done, mostly skating backwards. We discovered that when we skate backwards in Kilian hold, we end up in the centre of the rink. How this happens, I have no idea, because I also find I am not properly over my right hip - Coach1 said last week that I was leaning on Husband, but actually, I think, he is pulling me over - and finding it really hard to get on a proper RBO edge. This is going to be added to our warm-up routine for the foreseeable future - no way can we cover the ice in 4 pushes as we can forwards. I don't believe even that Husband can solo, although he says he can. When he tried to show me how much power he could get skating backwards, he landed flat on his arse & winded himself!

I kindly didn't laugh.... but one of the coaches fell over (he later said he was demonstrating to his pupil how, if you did I don't quite know what with your arms while jumping you would fall over. "And it worked!") and everybody laughed then.

We also did back runs round the circle, which was quite fun and once we got into it, quite do-able - we got surprisingly steep edges! We ought to have practiced our forward runs round the circle but really, all the circles were either busy or covered with rink rats.

There are dance tests on Wednesday morning, and one young lady was practicing her Level 5 - her mohawks are to die for, and she thinks they are awful, so I'm told. Grrrr. One small baby was doing level 3 dance moves - she isn't testing them, I don't even think she's testing level 2 - but was very pleased with herself for being able to do them. Er - yeah, J, that is very clever! But I think mine are actually better....

Mine are still pretty dire, though - but beginning to happen, I think. I do hate taking things up a level, one can never really do them!

Skate@Delaware
07-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Fireworks: We got some good work done, mostly skating backwards. We discovered that when we skate backwards in Kilian hold, we end up in the centre of the rink. How this happens, I have no idea, because I also find I am not properly over my right hip - Coach1 said last week that I was leaning on Husband, but actually, I think, he is pulling me over - and finding it really hard to get on a proper RBO edge.
Mrs. Redboots, THAT is why I find it hard to dance/skate with MY husband! He pulls me! He denies it but he gets a death-grip on my hands and won't let go if he goes down! So, we've got an agreement that I only hold onto 2 fingers on each of his hands and he keeps his hands loose. But I'm constantly telling him to raise or extend his arms....If he fell on me, I'd be squashed (he outweighs me by 100 pounds)...8O I've been lucky so far to scoot out of the way...

At least his stroking has improved and his speed has increased.

twinkle
07-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Oh if only. Don't think it will happen for a good few years yet as she said she needs several more years before she can get a proper residency permit or whatever that will allow her to work as a self-employed coach. It's such a waste:cry: :cry:

I know...she's the best coach I ever had and I would seriously consider moving to be able to work with her again.

Raye
07-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Fireworks: SUMMER SKATING SCHOOL!!!! Finally started this week!!

I have been off the ice since leaving Oberstdorf and I thought that with a whole month off, It would be like starting over. Over the past two years, even a week off was something to be feared so I wasn't expecting much at all on Wednesday! SURPRISE SURPRISE - it only took me about 20 minutes to get re-acquainted with the Ice and I was off and running..... On Thursday dance sessions was able to do all the dances up to and including the European!!

Duds: For the month of July I only have one freestyle session and one dance session per week.

samba
07-09-2006, 03:40 AM
Fireworks: SUMMER SKATING SCHOOL!!!! Finally started this week!!

I have been off the ice since leaving Oberstdorf and I thought that with a whole month off, It would be like starting over. Over the past two years, even a week off was something to be feared so I wasn't expecting much at all on Wednesday! SURPRISE SURPRISE - it only took me about 20 minutes to get re-acquainted with the Ice and I was off and running..... On Thursday dance sessions was able to do all the dances up to and including the European!!

Sometimes things are better after a break as you have discovered. My parrallel/camel spins always improve after a break, gives my back time to recover. Well done.

Duds: For the month of July I only have one freestyle session and one dance session per week.

Welcome to my world, think I'm going to have to sell my cats....no way.

Mrs Redboots
07-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Fireworks: Coach2 said Husband's skating was "violent", how right she is.

Duds: Now why does she see it, and not Coach1, who was blaming me, as usual, for Husband's inability to partner me correctly. Or at least to partner me so that I can actually skate, instead of pulling me off of my feet. Worked mostly on skating together in Kilian hold, forwards clockwise round the circle, backwards anti-clockwise, just doing chassés, to get our weights right into the circle. And towards the end we did the end pattern of the Fiesta and really, really curved it! Too far, but it's a fault on the right side.

Apart from a RIDL match this afternoon, which I am not looking forward to, no skating with Husband now until Thursday or Friday; rink closed on Tuesday and tests Wednesday morning. Should be able to skate after the tests, but Husband will have gone to work. Then the coaches go on holiday for two weeks, which is lovely for them, of course, but..... Very Deep Sigh.

jazzpants
07-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Duds: Now why does she see it, and not Coach1, who was blaming me, as usual, for Husband's inability to partner me correctly. Or at least to partner me so that I can actually skate, instead of pulling me off of my feet. B/c she remembers always remember the rules of ice dancing: 1) The lady is always right and 2) When in doubt, refer to rule #2! (This, of course, also applies to pair skating too, BTW.) :twisted: :P :lol:

Then the coaches go on holiday for two weeks, which is lovely for them, of course, but..... Very Deep Sigh.Sorry to hear about it. Look at it this way... when they're back from their holiday, they can resume beating you guys up with a fresh mind!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

samba
07-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Mrs Redboots
Apart from a RIDL match this afternoon, which I am not looking forward to, no skating with Husband now until Thursday or Friday;
Good luck with the match, I know how much you love it :lol: never mind, just wear some woolies and perhaps take a crossword.

rink closed on Tuesday and tests Wednesday morning. Should be able to skate after the tests, but Husband will have gone to work.
But the ice should be good if they have been testing, may be worth having a little play on your own.

Then the coaches go on holiday for two weeks, which is lovely for them, of course, but..... Very Deep Sigh.
Can't you get a lesson with another coach, mine doesnt mind as long as I let her know and sometimes you can benefit from a different point of view.

Samba

kateskate
07-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Fireworks - reworked axels from the beginning and managed to do some decent ones from standstill. Realised I was dropping my shoulder and head and so was leaning in the air. Maybe my axel is on its way back.....

I did a good camel sit and surprised my coach with my catch-camel!

Reorganised programme works v well!

Went rollerblading too for the second time. Was fun. 2 of the coaches at the rink are doing a course. I know its not ice skating but its some form of skating. We did a tricky thing with our back foot on the toe and front foot on the heel wheels. fun fun fun!

Duds - sit-change-sit has gone funny since we took it out of my programme and as a result I have dedicated less time to practicsing it.

Had to most odd fall on a salchow. Yes a salchow. I was going really fast and I think I tried to take off before I was backwards and didn't actually jump but instead went sideways and landed on the side of my blade. Really really weird. I've never done anything like it before.

Dance interval was too crowded to do many dances properly and one woman was on an assassins mission to get me on my willow waltz with her dutch waltz

Sk8pdx
07-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Fireworks:
Yesterday I met with Casey and another pairs team from Seattle. Just for fun (and with safety in mind as well,) they showed us how to waltz lift, pairs spin, throw waltz jump, and loop lift. Lots of pairs things off ice too. even a 1/2 press lift. That is the best upper body workout I have ever had in my life. All you pairs skaters make it look so easy:) :bow:

jazzpants
07-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Fireworks:
The first FOUR MOVES are coming out GREAT!!! Yes, even the power 3's now are starting to look really good! :D (I remembered what my NYC coach told me to do at our last lesson and, lo and behold, I'm getting stable and strong power 3's again!!!)

Duds:
Unfortunately, the 5 step mohawk really SUCKED today. I had trouble with RFI mohawks again and I have no clue why! I know I CAN normally do this move, so really :frus: for me!!! And I have lesson than 3 weeks to get this move down. (Assuming that I get on the August test session, of course.) I also didn't bother doing any spins and jumps, b/c I've spent a good amount of time FIXING this RFI mohawk problem again. (Yes, it's a reoccurring problem that I JUST hate!!! :evil: I'm trying to figure out the shoulder/arm positions to fix this.) Everything else about the 5 step mohawks is pretty much okay!!!

flo
07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Raye - I also took a break after France, and it's been great. I usually come back stronger after a break. I've been back twice and it's been fine.

fireworks: lutz-loops went well, did a couple cammel-jump-cammels, and worked on counter move.

Duds: I'm trying to get back into my "new" harlicks at least enough to see what the problems are and send them back. The blades on them are so bad that I can't do much and it's hard to tell. I need to keep them on for a while so I can see what foot pain is comming from what set of boots.

Mrs Redboots
07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Good luck with the match, I know how much you love it :lol: never mind, just wear some woolies and perhaps take a crossword.

I took my knitting, and a Polish friend who wanted to see what it's all about. Friend mostly skates at Streatham, but has one lesson a week with Bo R at Queens, and one of the Queens skaters invited her to their dance club on Tuesday evening, which she is going to as our rink is closed tomorrow.

We didn't win our draw (Fiesta Tango), although the Husband had two previous lucky draws. But we weren't bad. I spoke to one of the judges afterwards who said "It is a bit stately still, you need more animation in it. And tell that husband of yours to keep his head up. He should be leading you, not draped all over you like a bad mackintosh!"

I am still giggling.....

doubletoe
07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Fireworks:
The first FOUR MOVES are coming out GREAT!!! Yes, even the power 3's now are starting to look really good! :D (I remembered what my NYC coach told me to do at our last lesson and, lo and behold, I'm getting stable and strong power 3's again!!!)

Duds:
Unfortunately, the 5 step mohawk really SUCKED today. I had trouble with RFI mohawks again and I have no clue why! I know I CAN normally do this move, so really :frus: for me!!! And I have lesson than 3 weeks to get this move down. (Assuming that I get on the August test session, of course.) I also didn't bother doing any spins and jumps, b/c I've spent a good amount of time FIXING this RFI mohawk problem again. (Yes, it's a reoccurring problem that I JUST hate!!! :evil: I'm trying to figure out the shoulder/arm positions to fix this.) Everything else about the 5 step mohawks is pretty much okay!!!

Awesome about your first 4 moves! So what problem is it that you're having on the RFI mohawk?

jazzpants
07-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Awesome about your first 4 moves! So what problem is it that you're having on the RFI mohawk?I'm forever trying to fix my FI mohawks so that they looked tidy, smooth and...well, at least predictable. :roll: Occasionally I end up going back to some bad habits (in this case, wide stepping the FI mohawks) and I have to go and do whatever I would have to do to fix it so I don't lapse back to that bad habit. (In my case, adjusting the shoulders and bend knees deeper usually does the trick.)

BTW: I didn't skate this past Saturday afternoon, but only b/c I was sitting at my primary coach's chair getting a much needed hair cut!!! (Haven't cut my hair in MONTHS and primary coach was 8O :x about my ends being dry and why I didn't come to him sooner to get my haircut. Ummm... maybe it's b/c I've been so busy PRACTICING MY BRONZE MOVES FOR HIS LESSONS that I haven't had time to book an appt. for a haircut!!! :roll: :lol: LOL!!!)