View Full Version : Novice Foxtrot Pattern

Bunny Hop
07-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Is somebody able to post a link to the pattern for the Novice Foxtrot (also known as the Preliminary Foxtrot)? This seems to be the most basic dance taught in the UK, but my husband is learning the US syllabus, which starts with the Dutch Waltz, so we don't have access to the pattern for the easier dance. We would, however, like to learn it!

My husband and I have both hunted for it extensively on the web without success, and usually we're both pretty good at web searches!

Thanks in advance!

coskater64
07-02-2006, 05:13 PM
There are 2 foxtrots in the US the pre silver foxtrot and the silver rocker foxtrot. I have not heard of any other foxtrot patterns, maybe it's a really old dance.8O

phoenix
07-02-2006, 06:34 PM
There's also the ten-fox, which is Bronze in the US. Nothing below that, so perhaps this is one of those dances we don't have in the States....

icedancer2
07-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Well, the Swing Dance is basically a slow foxtrot but it is not so much easier than the Dutch Waltz since there are backwards parts, Waltz position and Mohawks!

Bunny Hop
07-03-2006, 04:07 AM
We're pretty sure it is only done in the UK, and is definitely a 'beginner' dance, with no backwards steps. Watching other people, it seems to only include swing rolls and crossovers - we just need to know the sequence.

Thanks for the responses though.

BatikatII
07-03-2006, 04:46 AM
I don't have a link to a pattern but it is the very first dance in the UK test structure. It is just crossovers and swingrolls all the way around the rink. (similar to one of the prelim field moves but with the edges held for the swing roll)

It makes a serpentine shape along both long sides of the rink (3 semi circles) each side

the steps are
START
LFO 1 beat
RFI pr 1 beat
LFO swing roll hold for 4 beats (this is one semicircle)

RFO 1
LFI pr 1
RFO swing roll 4 beats (second semicircle taking you over the middle of the rink)

LFO 1
RFI pr 1
LFO swing roll 4 beats (3rd semicircle) taking you to end of rink

This takes you along one whole side of the rink in 3 semicircles and you then repeat along the second long side.

The hard part is repeating this along the short end of the rink to restart on the other long side as the pattern is of necesssity very compressed so you need good strong edges. It's actually not that easy to do well , despite being a beginner dance. For the test there is a lot of leeway on the pattern and timing but it is an excellent warm-up exercise to concentrate on deep edges and extensions.

if you do it partnered it is in killian hold

So basically it is a series of progressives and swing rolls on a strong outside edge (the freeleg is slowly swung forward on the count of 3.)

For the pattern draw two serpentine shapes (mirror images) with 3 lobes along each side of the rink and join them with a semi circle (inwards to centre of rink) top and bottom. Hope this helps

doesn't your coach have a book of the patterns?
PS if you are in the UK and ever skate at Bracknell I could show you! And if you are in the UK as your location suggests why are you using the US sylabus? Just curious!

Bunny Hop
07-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Thanks Batikat - that's exactly what we wanted!

doesn't your coach have a book of the patterns?
PS if you are in the UK and ever skate at Bracknell I could show you! And if you are in the UK as your location suggests why are you using the US sylabus? Just curious!

Long story which I will try and keep short as possible! We haven't a dance coach in the UK, though both my husband and I take singles lessons here (at Bracknell). The problem is mainly timing, though admittedly we haven't really looked closely at getting a dance coach here. Coaches tend not to have any spare lesson time outside office hours, and as I work full time this is problematic. Currently, with judicious use of flex time, I manage one morning a week skating, as it's impossible to practice anything useful on weekend or evening sessions (ever since they effectively destroyed the Sunday morning session at Bracknell). Neither of us is entitled to skate on patch as we still need to master waltz jump, one foot spin and back crossrolls, though my husband is getting close to this level now. Frankly, however, this is likely to continue to be an issue as the chances of me ever mastering any sort of spin are minimal at best - couldn't even do them when I skated as a teenager. So no coach, no book of patterns.

Reason for US syllabus is that my husband spends half his time working in Chicago, where he DOES take dance lessons. He then comes home to the UK and teaches the dances to me (and no, this is not the ideal way to learn ice dance, and my technique is pretty bad, but it's better than nothing). But they start with Dutch Waltz and then go on to Canasta Tango.

So the Novice Foxtrot is unknown to us - however, when we went to skate at Oxford last Sunday morning (a bit far to go, but more use than one half-ice hour at Bracknell) they had a dance club interval but were encouraging people to join in for that dance. So I thought it would be a good idea to learn it so that if we go there again, and they ask general skaters to join in again, we'd actually be able to dance something without the hassle of a full public session! Plus, whilst I'm not really interested in testing, it's probably a good idea that I know the UK dances!

Bit long-winded, but that's the background to my initital request!

aussieskater
07-03-2006, 06:21 AM
I hope Mrs Redboots or TashaKat is reading this, because I recall a few weeks ago one of them (TK?) posted a link to a UK dance site which had all the dance patterns on it, from Novice Foxtrot up. I was very grateful as I could (and did) print the earlier ones off to help me learn the steps. I've trawled through the recent threads but can't find the right one...sorry!

BatikatII
07-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks Batikat - that's exactly what we wanted!

Long story which I will try and keep short as possible! We haven't a dance coach in the UK, though both my husband and I take singles lessons here (at Bracknell). The problem is mainly timing, though admittedly we haven't really looked closely at getting a dance coach here. Coaches tend not to have any spare lesson time outside office hours, and as I work full time this is problematic. Currently, with judicious use of flex time, I manage one morning a week skating, as it's impossible to practice anything useful on weekend or evening sessions (ever since they effectively destroyed the Sunday morning session at Bracknell). Neither of us is entitled to skate on patch as we still need to master waltz jump, one foot spin and back crossrolls, though my husband is getting close to this level now. Frankly, however, this is likely to continue to be an issue as the chances of me ever mastering any sort of spin are minimal at best - couldn't even do them when I skated as a teenager. So no coach, no book of patterns.

What morning do you skate? - I have just located my ancient book of dance patterns which has all the UK dances in it which you would be welcome to borrow.

I skate on the morning patch 9.30am - 10.30 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays (lessons with Alex at 10am) and sometimes come in other days. PM me with days you are in (and your real name!) and I can get it to you.

Don't give up on the jumps and spins - if I can learn them starting at age 37 then anyone can!

Mrs Redboots
07-03-2006, 10:09 AM
And didn't I hear that Bracknell may be getting a new dance coach in the next few weeks? So you may be able to get a few lessons soon.