View Full Version : importance of upper body strength

sunskater
07-02-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi all.
I was wondering what the importance of upper body strength is for skating. I understand why leg strength is crucial for jumps, etc. But I have had coaches tell me that I need a strong upper body as well, and while I definetly don't disagree (Im sure they know what they're talking about), I would like to know why it is important. Has anyone else had to work on building better upper body strength for optimal training/performance? Thanks!

rf3ray
07-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Hes prolly meaning your core body strength, your biggest muscle in your body are your ABS and stomach muscles

Skate@Delaware
07-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, my coach has encouraged upper body workouts, simply because you need muscular endurance to keep your arms up for extended periods of time; for muscular symmetry so your upper body is evenly matched with your lower body; and so that you have more control of your upper body when you use your arms during jumps and spins (we use the arms more than we think for those).

rf3ray
07-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Oh yeah I forgot to also add about the upper body strength is that like you need them for control for when you do edges, and footwork think of it as counter balance?

doubletoe
07-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Here are a few reasons:

Abdominals: To keep you straight in the air on jumps, help you do sitspins and any other spins where one leg is extended in front.

Lower back: Spirals, jump landing positions, jump takeoffs, layback spins, camel spins, keeping straight in the air on jumps

Upper back: Jump landing positions, jump takeoff positions, spirals, camel spins, overall posture on the ice, keeping straight in the air on jumps

Shoulders: Maintaining nice arm positions even when tired, jump takeoffs & landings, camel spins & spirals

Chest: Spins, rotational position in the air

Skate@Delaware
07-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Just think to the times you've seen skaters with no upper body control....arms go wild and it carries over to the rest of their skating. Those with good control are the ones that either workout or have had some sort of training (pilates, ballet, martial arts, etc.)

starskate6.0
07-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Since when have you ever seen an Olympic champion skate with a slouch .
"NEVER" Doubletoe is right on all counts. The upper body is the magic that makes it all work. 8O I have day's when I am very tired and I think aobut my back and my abbs and things improve dramaticly. . jumps and spins require far less effort when you are upright and looking up. Footwork imroves 10 fold because you are over your CG. . EX" Jumping look up, go up , land up, stay up,
9 times out of ten if your are having trouble landing jumps its because your take offs lack good upper body position. Good luck with it. :D

Candlestick
07-02-2006, 01:20 PM
As I guy I wouldn't be able to tell you if this could apply but when I began increasing upper body weight training my skating style changed completely (for the better). I was able to carry more momentum into jumps and have a delayed rotation and lofty landings. I think more consistency came with my jumps as well because I had more awareness with my arms.

Skate@Delaware
07-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I had terrible upper body posture.....never paid attention to my mom when she said "stand up straight, stop slouching!" and i am trying to build up these weak muscles (and I had an auto accident that caused nerve damage in my neck and upper back so it is imperative that they be built up so I don't develop dowager's hump).

It is starting to pay off as I have much better posture and do less toepick-diving now. Of course, when I get tired and lazy, I still slouch :frus: so I have only myself to blame. And I forget to keep my back straight sometimes when I jump.....dumb, I know.

froggy
07-02-2006, 05:14 PM
...also helps improve posture, increasing your abs also strengthens your back, if you ever see videos of skaters and they are wearing sleeveless you'll see they have very nicely developed shoulder and arm muscles.

off ice i take ballet and do some free weights i think it helps

Paulie86
07-02-2006, 08:36 PM
My coach always recommends pilates to build up core strength and flexibility. I have yet to try it, but have been looking into it and can certainly see how it would help.

Sonic
07-03-2006, 02:16 PM
My coach always recommends pilates to build up core strength and flexibility. I have yet to try it, but have been looking into it and can certainly see how it would help.

I'm starting pilates/yoga soon to improve my core strength - also hopefully to further improve my leg strength so I can finally manage a darn teapot/shoot the duck/whatever they're called!

Also, I sometimes feel conscious of the fact that my legs are toning up nicely but my arms still have 'bingo wings' (another UK term - means flabby upper arms lol!)

S xxx

CFP
07-03-2006, 04:26 PM
well,, actually, the largest muscles in your body are [fortunatly] the ones that give you great strength for this sport... your butt!!
i've lifted weights since 86'' -- wish i looked like it though!!:frus:[ wish i were bigger!] --,, for the past many years, i've focused more on my upper body mostly for climbing,, but i've noticed alot less fatigue in regards to skating. it sure does improve posture. i went through the pilates/alexander/lotte berk methods a long time ago,,, they're good for awareness,,, i just like the feel of weights myself. you? maybe get some easy 5-7 dumbells and do straight arm lateral raises--just the way you hold your arms when you skate.

Mrs Redboots
07-04-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm starting pilates/yoga soon to improve my core strength - also hopefully to further improve my leg strength so I can finally manage a darn teapot/shoot the duck/whatever they're called!Teapot here, shoot-the-duck there......

Also, I sometimes feel conscious of the fact that my legs are toning up nicely but my arms still have 'bingo wings' (another UK term - means flabby upper arms lol!)Two words: Powernet and Leotard! Make a huge difference.... I don't get my upper arms out in public because of the ginormous bingo wings, and haven't for years.

Skate@Delaware
07-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Two words: Powernet and Leotard! Make a huge difference.... I don't get my upper arms out in public because of the ginormous bingo wings, and haven't for years.

Even though my arms are more muscular, they still have the flab flopping around, so for this upcoming season, I'm making a mesh shirt made that will (hopefully) hold everything in! Plus provide some warmth for the sleeveless styles that I like to wear! And it will help hide my bra straps.....multitude of sins, you know!

Maybe I'll make two-one plain and one with stones for extra sparkle for shows and competition!

Vickstar
07-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I've been amazed at how much my pilates experience has helped a new skater like me. I can't recommend it enough!

mikawendy
07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
I've been amazed at how much my pilates experience has helped a new skater like me. I can't recommend it enough!

I'll second that! :D I've been doing Pilates for about 9 years, but I really noticed the difference very markedly recently. I was at an adult skating seminar, and we had a Pilates session in the middle of the day. When I went back on the ice in the afternoon, I felt more centered and strong in the core than I had in the morning. I worked on the same moves as in the morning and did them better after I did Pilates. Then later that same week, I had a moves test, and I warmed up before my freestyle that day and then before the test session by doing some Pilates, and I really feel like it helped me.

techskater
07-04-2006, 01:24 PM
You need your arms to help with lift and rotation.

I've been doing Pilates for about a year now and I can definitely see a difference in my posture, jump height and rotation, ability to hold spins and learn new positions in spins. I also started an aerobic weight class about 6 mos ago -- same incremental improvement

flo
07-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Upper body strength really is a factor with doubles. It's also obviously important with pairs as you need to be able to support your own wt.
Also, with a good core, your presentation on the ice is better!