View Full Version : From Field Move to Element to increase CPC values

singerskates
07-01-2006, 07:51 PM
I've been doing a section of footwork with out breaking go into a two footed wide LFO leading deep lunge for a complete circle and then press off of
your right leg and swing it around into a forward low sit spin for 4
revs, then change to broken sit for 4 revs and then either change to
forward scratch or grab right foot from behind while still in broken
position and then come up and spin like that and then exit the spin.

I already did it at my rink this week. It's not so easy and it wears
on your left butt, quad and hamstring muscle. Have fun!!!!

doubletoe
07-01-2006, 11:39 PM
I've been doing a section of footwork with out breaking go into a two footed wide LFO leading deep lunge for a complete circle and then press off of
your right leg and swing it around into a forward low sit spin for 4
revs, then change to broken sit for 4 revs and then either change to
forward scratch or grab right foot from behind while still in broken
position and then come up and spin like that and then exit the spin.

I already did it at my rink this week. It's not so easy and it wears
on your left butt, quad and hamstring muscle. Have fun!!!!

I believe you would need at least one more feature in order to make this spin a Level 2, but you would probably get + GOE for executing this version well. :)

slusher
07-03-2006, 12:20 PM
I believe you would need at least one more feature in order to make this spin a Level 2, but you would probably get + GOE for executing this version well. :)

I agree.

A plain jane sit spin is a level 1. Base value 1.2. Let's say you try for a level 2 sit spin.

To make it a level 2, (base value 1.5) you need either :

a difficult variation,
backward entrance,
change of edge.

Difficult variation for broken leg sit spins is defined as:
"sit spin (broken leg) – changing the weight distribution by bending the
leg to the side or behind the main body core."

You'd have to hold the variation for at least 3 revolutions.

A combination spin level 1 is base 1.7, level 2 base is 2.1. For level 2 you need two difficult variations. Broken leg sit spin into upright/bielmann would be two difficult variations. The leg has to be above the level of the hip to be counted as a Bielmann. I don't think you have the Bielmann part of it, so it would be counted as a level 1 combo spin.

If you can do the sit/broken leg sit with lots of revolutions, balance and confidence (equal amounts each position) you'd do better on the GOE than an iffy combo.

The scale of values is the most interesting and annoying document. It's made me practice my basics more.

LoopLoop
07-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Actually, with the rule revisions for the 2006-2007 season, you need two features for level 2, three features for level 3, and four features for level 4.

doubletoe
07-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Actually, with the rule revisions for the 2006-2007 season, you need two features for level 2, three features for level 3, and four features for level 4.

Doesn't the broken leg count as one feature?

singerskates
07-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Difficult variation for broken leg sit spins is defined as:
"sit spin (broken leg) – changing the weight distribution by bending the
leg to the side or behind the main body core."

You'd have to hold the variation for at least 3 revolutions.

I do do my sit spin with reg. position and then go into my broken sit with my leg out to the side and foot behind and then I grab my free foot and come up with my foot above my hip. So is not this a Level 2. Plus I go into my sit from the two footed completely around the circle lunge before going into my sit and then to broken and then to catch foot above my hip and then out.

So what would that be for level and GOE if I did this clean with 4 revs each position?

singerskates

singerskates
07-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Forgot to add, I also do a forward corkscrew (5 to 6 revs) out of an inside spread eagle. I know I'd get a level 1 for the spin but wouldn't the GOE go up for the field move before it? There are no extra steps in between the inside spread eagle and the forward corkscrew (also know in the US as forward scratch spin).

singerskates

slusher
07-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Forgot to add, I also do a forward corkscrew (5 to 6 revs) out of an inside spread eagle. I know I'd get a level 1 for the spin but wouldn't the GOE go up for the field move before it? There are no extra steps in between the inside spread eagle and the forward corkscrew (also know in the US as forward scratch spin).

singerskates

I'll try to be kind but this is an example of where improvement on basic skating would be the best solution and not getting sidetracked by tricking things up. Work on getting 12-15 revolutions in your forward spin on a tight center. 5 to 6 is only minimal and would not get a GOE of 0.

You're better off to have a solid spin and get the value of 1.2 on a GOE of 0 than to try to get fancy. A level 2 spin is worth 1.6 on a GOE of 0, but if it is done badly, the GOE is .6 . Do what you do well and then build on that. That's what the new judging system is rewarding. I know it makes it boring at the international level (the disappearance of quad attempts) but as a rec skater, good basics count.

doubletoe
07-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I think the inside spread eagle will add to your Program Components score under "connecting moves" but may or may not add to your GOE on the spin itself. Even on a jump entrance, the difficulty of the entrance is only one factor in raising the GOE of the element, so it may or may not affect the GOE if the jump isn't superior in the air and on the landing (not just "fine" but actually superior). There are specific guidelines for the judges in determing GOE's in the "New Judging System" section on www.usfsa.org so you can see what will clearly raise teh GOE and what might not.

doubletoe
07-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I do do my sit spin with reg. position and then go into my broken sit with my leg out to the side and foot behind and then I grab my free foot and come up with my foot above my hip. So is not this a Level 2. Plus I go into my sit from the two footed completely around the circle lunge before going into my sit and then to broken and then to catch foot above my hip and then out.

So what would that be for level and GOE if I did this clean with 4 revs each position?

singerskates

As for the level itself, it's still a level 1 because you only have one "difficult variation of position" (the broken leg). If you want to bring it up to a level 2, you'll need to do one more difficult variation (the catch foot upright would not be considered a difficult variation), or you'll need one of the following features:
1) backward entrance (your lunge would not give you a backward entrance)
2) change of edge during the spin
3) at least 3 changes of position so that you have upright, sit, camel and/or layback in the same spin

Again, all this stuff is available on www.usfsa.org (check out ISU Communication #1384)

techskater
07-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Can't tell you GOE, that will totally depend on how it is executed, hence the name GRADE OF EXECUTION. You can do a difficult entry but the spin position, centering, speed, #of revs could be not very good causing the GOE to be lower.

To get to a level 2 on a solo spin, you need to increase the speed in the spin as the spin progresses, vary the position in the spin, get on an outside edge (if forward), enter as a back spin (back sit as the solo spin for example)... two of these things must be met.