View Full Version : doubles

rosie
06-30-2006, 01:46 PM
I am working on my axel, double loop, double salchow, flying camel, back sit, and layback.I usually land the axel, but for some reason, I always tap my foot on the ice. I'm doing okay with the doubles and the back sit, and sometimes I can do a layback for 3 or 4 rotations. Yesterday I nearly landed on my stomach trying to do the flying camel. Any tips?

doubletoe
06-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I am working on my axel, double loop, double salchow, flying camel, back sit, and layback.I usually land the axel, but for some reason, I always tap my foot on the ice. I'm doing okay with the doubles and the back sit, and sometimes I can do a layback for 3 or 4 rotations. Yesterday I nearly landed on my stomach trying to do the flying camel. Any tips?

On the axel, it sounds like you need to get over your landing side more in the air, and also probably to push out more on the takeoff. By "pushing out" I mean bending more on the takeoff knee, pushing out perpindicular to your back outside prep edge, and pushing your chest out over your knee (keeping landing side shoulder back a little).

On the flying camel, make sure your shoulders are level as you prepare to step out onto your takeoff edge. Push out onto the same edge you use for your forward camel, making sure once again that your shoulders are level. Now cut the edge short before it's finished, taking off *straight up* into a very SMALL, controlled jump. Look up and point the toes of both feet as you take off. Don't let your free leg swing wide; keep it reigned in a little or it could make you tilt in the air.
Once you leave the ice, the path of the jump is like a single salchow, where you do 3/4 turn in the air, staying over the takeoff side (NOT like an axel, where you get over the landing side in the air). Only on landing do you transfer your weight to the landing side, pointing the toe, bending the knee to absorb the landing, and pulling the free leg back to get into spiral position. Keep the landing side shoulder high so you don't get leaned into the circle, and don't let your heel come down at all; stay right behind the toepicks.

starskate6.0
07-01-2006, 01:52 PM
The C.G. Center of Gravity

Over all solution to all skating problems ( well most ) .
Keep you back strait. your abbs and back are the key to great skating. EX:Double toe. Head up will help with your back. Bend the knees not the back and when you stretch for the pick remember your back and never look at the ice, There is nothing to read there. Look up go up stay up.

Same goes for spins... Granted you will not learn this habit in a day Im still working on this critical detail of all skating skills. Watch all the great skaters on video, slow them down and you will see the common trait is the strait back on the jumps and the spins. Good luck.

Kit kat
07-04-2006, 04:19 PM
these links might help with your flying camel
http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=17839&highlight=flying+camel

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=17709&highlight=flying+camel

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=13014&highlight=flying+camel

flo
07-05-2006, 08:33 AM
For the doubles, keep your chin up. It will do two things. 1. It will bring everything up. If you're the slightest bit hunched or bent at the waist when you land, then your free foot will tap the ice. 2. The audience and judges follow your eyes. Keeping your chin up will make the jump look higher!
Enjoy.