View Full Version : Too much boot?

LilJen
06-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Posted over at FSU as well, but there seems to be more skater-related activity here so thought I'd try here as well.

Okay, so I got a pair of loaners on Wednesday. Feel like ARMOR compared to my other skates!! Actually having support and not mush around my ankles is nice, although the skates are fairly new and I can tell it'll take a bit to break them in. Fit is good, though.

Here's my question now, though: It *appears* that these are Riedell Royal 900. . . aren't those for, like, elite skaters? I am decidedly NOT an elite skater!! I'm 37 and would love to get maybe a couple of single jumps in the next year (I *think* this is a reasonable goal) and get some more moves under my belt. These Royals must be from a few years back, 'cause they don't have all the lovely features shown on Riedell's website. . . I sure wouldn't pay $500+ for new boots--just seems absurd for someone who's in it purely for fun. Is it possible to have *too much* boot? (I don't know what the situation is with these boots/blades, if the owner wants to sell them.)

Thanks in advance. . .

phoenix
06-30-2006, 11:00 AM
It's totally possible to have too much boot, & it can actually cause injuries over time. Plus, they'll just always feel like concrete blocks on your feet, & may very well hurt like heck. I'd talk to a reputable fitter, tell them what you're working on/will be working on, & see what they recommend.

doubletoe
06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
If the fit is good, then that's what you can take away from this experience. As your skate shop pro which Reidell boot he'd recommend for your weight and skating level, since you know the Reidell fits. But it's still a very good idea to get measured, just to make sure.

LilJen
06-30-2006, 12:10 PM
You guys are so helpful. I got a couple of similar responses from FSU'ers. And I realize that I really don't know what I"m doing--I've read a ton, but this is only my second pair of skates and last pair I knew zippo. I'll see what I can find for fitters/pro shops in the area but I suspect I may need to go down to Indianapolis for this. . . Thank you so much!

skaternum
06-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Another 2 cents worth: While I agree completely that it's possible to have too much boot, I think adults sometimes require a little more stiffness than kids at the same level, simply because of our size and weight. The additional weight can break boots in and break them down faster than the kids, so you might want to keep that in mind. Just toss it into the conversation with the fitter.

SkatingOnClouds
07-01-2006, 03:18 AM
What sort of injuries can result from "too much boot"?

When I have posted on this forum about boots I am considering, someome always points out my choices are way higher level than my skating.

As an overweight adult doing single jumps, hoping that next year I might get back to working on axel and doubles, I figure I do need more boot than a skinny 13 year old working on the same elements.

I am curious how to know how much boot is too much boot?

techskater
07-01-2006, 05:28 AM
Knee pain, shin splints, hip flexor problems can all occur from too much boot.

Boot strength needed is dependent on size of skater, skills working on, and how "heavy" the skater skates. I am tough on boots and always skate in one up from what is "recommended" for my level in terms of boot strength.

gt20001
07-01-2006, 10:51 AM
I agree i learned the hard way about what too much boot can do. I got boots that were above my level when i started out and i am not small i am 5 ft 7 inches and weighed 160lbs. I got the jackson 3100 which isnt even the top boot in the jackson line they felt ok at first and i thought i could bend in them but 6 months later they still werent broken in and i was doing single and half jumps in them alot, my coach says i am an agressive skater. I didnt even make it 3 months in these boots i ordered new ones after 3 months but it took almost 3 months to get the new ones so i was in them for 6 months total. I was off the ice more than i was on the ice due to injuries that were boot related i never got injured from falling but the boots were causing me so much pain it was so bad that even 6 advil wouldnt put a dent in the pain. I was having knee problems and developed very bad shin splints that even hurt to walk on. I got new boots these are actually higher level but are hinged skates and havent had any of the problems that i had with those skates and have been able to consistently stay on the ice and not have to keep taking weeks off due to severe pain. And it held back my skating becuasea i couldnt bend my knees properly so it made things harder to do.

renatele
07-01-2006, 12:26 PM
And it held back my skating becuasea i couldnt bend my knees properly so it made things harder to do.

My current skates are Jackson 3100s as well, after spending 3 years in Risport RF2s and beeing unable to get a crease in them.

My main reason for switching boots was that I HAD to be able to bend my ankles; jumping in my non-bendy Risports made my lower back hurt, as ankles couldn't absorb the force of the landings, so it transferred up into my hips/back. I questioned my fitter's choice of 3100s, as they seemed to be too much of a boot for me (working on lutz right now), especially that I specifically asked for a boot that would allow to flex the ankle. Well, my fitter had me do quite agressive heat-molding in them - he had me not only walk around in warm boots, but also bend my knees/ankles to start the creases. Yep, I know this will somewhat shorten the life of my boots, but I'm pretty happy with them (have them for 3 months already) :) Have nice creases and no problem bending, and my back is happy, too.

I guess your 3100s could have been "helped" to break in that way, as well.

doubletoe
07-01-2006, 11:43 PM
It helps a lot to have boots that feature a notch in the lace area. It helps you bend your ankles more deeply in them from day 1, which allows you to absorb shock and skate with proper form.

i love skating
07-02-2006, 08:34 PM
HI
well you answered questions i was going to ask about the injurys with too much boot so that is great, gt20001 you said you have hinged skates are these the notches that some skates have? or is it something different? Also can someone tell me the difference between broken in and broken down boots, not that i am planing on buying second hand skates (i just dont find that many suitable for elephant feet) but its helpful for future reference. Thank you alll again
cheers
Sam

luna_skater
07-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Broken in = that perfect, comfy place where you skates feel just right...a balance between being able to bend, but still have support.

Broken down = not enough or no support left.