View Full Version : Need Some Help!

FunJunky06
06-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Hello Everyone! I am 25 years old, and have been thinking about learning to skate for a couple months, and wanted a little more information. I was wondering if they have certain programs for adults, and a little bit about the different programs if there are. Thanks!

mikawendy
06-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Welcome!

Some rinks have group lesson classes that are just for adults, and the USFSA has a group lesson structure for adults that has slightly different groupings of elements than the regular group lessons.

However, when I took group lessons (for about 2.5 years), I took classes alongside the kids, and I found it worked out fine for me. The class sizes were not very large, and the instructors gave each of us some individual attention and useful technique pointers. I didn't find it odd to be in with the kids at all, though I did think it was amusing the time I had to take my Basic 5 skills test a week early because the week of the skills test was the day of my wedding! :lol:

You might want to see what's available at the rinks around you in terms of lessons offered, and if you see any adults in the classes, they might be willing to talk to you afterward about their experiences.

Whatever you do, have fun! :D

doubletoe
06-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Yes, many rinks have group lessons just for adults. It's how I got started and it worked great for me. I started at 27 and had all my single jumps within 2 years, just from taking group classes. Also, there are adult competitions all around the country, and even an Adult Nationals. Being an adult figure skater is lots of fun! :D

Mrs Redboots
06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Hello Everyone! I am 25 years old, and have been thinking about learning to skate for a couple months, and wanted a little more information. I was wondering if they have certain programs for adults, and a little bit about the different programs if there are. Thanks!It very much depends on which country you live in, and, indeed, within that which rink you skate at. Some are very adult-friendly, others less so. But go to your local ice-rink and enquire about learn-to-skate classes - and best of luck to you!

FunJunky06
06-29-2006, 09:09 PM
The problem is I Live in Florida. My local ice rink is 30 mins. away in Daytona Beach.

mdvask8r
06-30-2006, 04:39 AM
The problem is I Live in Florida. My local ice rink is 30 mins. away in Daytona Beach.Get over that quick! If you WANT to skate you'll find a way. I drive to 5 different rinks on various days to skate with my coaches. Most of these rinks are 60 to 90 minutes drive each way. thirty minutes is like next door. Many others on this forum have similar distances to deal with. Once you get started (and hooked) you'll find it well-worth the effort to get there.

Skate@Delaware
06-30-2006, 08:25 AM
I started in a Learn to Skate group class for adults. I just recently switched over to private lessons only.

My local rink is about 15 minutes away but only open from September to mid-April. In the summer I drive about and hour (sometimes and hour and a half depending on traffic and road construction) just to skate. Because of the distance, I have drastically cut down on my skating in the summer to 2-4 times a month.

doubletoe
06-30-2006, 12:04 PM
It's true, we all drive however long it takes to find ice to practice on! A 45-minute drive is pretty typical for me.

flippet
06-30-2006, 02:48 PM
I drive an hour each way for reliable ice. There really aren't that many rinks out there, when you think about the population of the US. Unless you're lucky enough to be in one of the few areas where there are higher concentrations of rinks (Chicago, certain areas of California, and parts of the East Coast), or are fortunate enough to live right next to where a rink happens to be....you're going to have to make a drive. 30 minutes is the blink of an eye, honestly.