View Full Version : On a music hunt...

AshBugg44
06-27-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm currently looking for music for one of my students for next season. She's little, 5, and she'll be competing probably at the Alpha level (forwards crossovers and stroking for those unfamiliar with ISI levels). I really think something jazzy/big band-y would be cute for her, but I have no idea as to wear to start looking. One song I have found that I like is the theme song to Hawaii Five-O, so that can give you an idea of what I like. Any suggestions?

VegasGirl
06-28-2006, 07:36 AM
IMHO the theme song from Hawaii Five-0 is way too fast for her and an Alpha program... not to mention that I personally think you should pick something cute instead... at that level and age it tremendously helps the cause. :)

What music does she like?
You really should ask her since she'll have to like the song...

A Disney song usually works well but if she's not the cutesy type how about a theme song from one of the kids' shows on Nickelodeon?

http://www.nick.com/music/jukebox/

I like the one from 'The Fairly Odd Parents'... it's still a bit fast but could work.
Or maybe 'Who let the Dogs out' by the Baja Men? Or parts of the Rugrats Rap?

AshBugg44
06-28-2006, 08:19 AM
She is a fast little skater for her age. Also, I don't want anything with words.

Isk8NYC
06-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Glenn Miller's "In the Mood"

VegasGirl
06-28-2006, 02:08 PM
It's not her age that I was referring to but rather her level when I said that the music was too fast.

Why nothing with words?

icedancer2
06-28-2006, 02:26 PM
I love it when kids skate to stuff like Hawaii 5-0. Why not use that?

How about Pink Panther? Overdone, sure, but it is cute and people like it.

Google "Music to Spy By" and see what you come up with -- spy movies, detective shows, etc., often have good, fun, powerful, orchestrated music.

Good luck -- this sounds like fun!!

luckeylasvegas
06-29-2006, 11:57 AM
I like Choo Choo Ch' Boogie by the Manhattan Transfer or Louis Jordan.
Cute song and not over used.

AshBugg44
07-01-2006, 03:36 PM
It's not her age that I was referring to but rather her level when I said that the music was too fast.

Why nothing with words?

I just don't like tech programs with words in them above the tot level.

AshBugg44
07-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Glenn Miller's "In the Mood"

Great suggestion, but that song is just ruined for me and I could never have any of my kids skate to it. Maybe 10 years from now. ;)

AW1
07-06-2006, 07:11 AM
I've sent you a pm - hope you get it. It's got a video of my daughter's last competition in it and the music she used which you might find appropriate for this little skater.

Clarice
07-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Try anything by Leroy Anderson. "The Typewriter", for instance, is fast and cute, even if kids today don't know what a typewriter is! There's also "Bugler's Holiday", "Clarinet Candy" - lots and lots of them.

AshBugg44
08-19-2006, 10:36 PM
I finally found a great piece of music for her - it's from the soundtrack of Hope Floats, and it's the only non-depressing piece of music on there! If you happen to have the CD, it's track #5. :)