View Full Version : Gam skates and buying online

taffy12
06-27-2006, 09:27 PM
I live in the south and my choices for purchasing skates are simple but frustrating: take the overpriced, bottom-of-the-line skates at our rink, or buy online. I'm really hesistant to do that because I don't know exactly what size I would need and would like to be able to look at the skates, to see what they're like before I make such a large investment... Does anyone have any advice on how to find the right fit or whatnot?

Also, I've found two that I'm considering, and was wondering your opinion on them. One is the GAM 50 Celebrite with a MK Club 2000 Chrome Plated blade. Now, I've never heard of Gam before, but the site says they're good up through double jumps? Does anyone know what these skates are like?

The other option is a Riedell Bronze Star, and I'm assuming that these would be better, but they're much more expensive and don't come with a blade...as I have no place to have a blade mounted, I pretty much need a boot and blade combo...

So that's my situation. I'd greatly appreciate any help you could give me!

twokidsskatemom
06-27-2006, 09:36 PM
We have bought online for a few years. We have one pro shop in our whole state so we really have no choice.
If you go through a good online shop, they tell you how to take measurements and you send that in or let them know via email.I have bought both Jacksons and Sp terris online.
It is BETTER if you are fitted, but I know we all dont live near a fitter.
What skills do you have ? That might help someone point you in the right direction. You dont need a boot that is not right for your level.

taffy12
06-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Do you have any sites that you could recommend?

As far as my skills, I know this is going to sound silly, but right now I'm not doing much. I skated for a couple of years when I was younger and got up to a waltz jump, but then took about seven years off for various reasons. I only recently got back on the ice and am happy to find that I still have my crossovers and such, and I hope to progress further. As my feet are no longer growing however, and because I'm not made of money, I'd like to get a good skate that's going to last for a while (it's not like I skate every day, so they shouldn't break down too quickly). I should also admit that I'm spoiled by the skates I had when I was younger... I don't think they're still made because I can't find them online anywhere, but they were Sonjia Bronze... Nice this padding on the tongue, gel pockets in the side, relatively stiff leather...

Also, in case it's helpful in giving me a recommendation, I have pretty wide feet (I hear Riedell's are narrow?) and currently weigh about 160 lbs...though I'm hoping to lose some weight. From what I've read on here though, a higher weight seems to require a stiffer boot?

Debbie S
06-27-2006, 10:35 PM
I had GAM 65's (probably heavier/stiffer than what you're looking at) and I couldn't imagine doing doubles in them unless I weighed about 50 pounds. But that really doesn't matter, b/c at your level, you will almost certainly break down the boots before you get to doubles.

The issue with Riedell (and GAM too) is that they are a slender cut - meaning that there is not a big difference in the heel width and ball-area width of the feet. They do come in larger widths, probably at least a D, so I wouldn't worry so much about actual width as I would your foot shape. Each boot brand has its own unique shape, or last, and you will find that there are some brands you just can't wear, unless you get customs that have the necessary modifications. I can't wear GAM (they were way too narrow, also just a bad fit), Riedell, or Harlick stock boots. I also had problems with Jacksons - the ball area fit fine, but the heel and ankle area were way too big.

Where are you located? There may be some posters here from your area that can steer you to a good pro shop that wouldn't be too far away. You really should go and be fitted by a good fitter, or as twokidsskatemom said, make sure you get clear directions about how to measure your feet. But the online option requires you to know what specific brand you want, and with your limited skating (and boot buying) experience, it's hard for you to know that - and the last thing you want to do is buy skates that aren't a good fit - you'll just waste money.

If you do decide to go with Riedells, I believe the 200 series skates come with blades attached, and they should take through your singles depemding on how much skating you do and how much you wear the boots down.

taffy12
06-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Thank you so much for all of that information...I'm so glad I found this board!

I'm in Lawrenceville, Ga, about half an hour from Atlanta in Gwinnett, so if anyone's from around here, please help! :-)

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Check out Rob Lichtefeld's various sites - I'm sure there'll be recommendations on there.

And I am on my 2nd pair of Gams - I had a pair of 65s which lasted me about 8 years, and now I have 700s, the replacement model. Love them, and wouldn't really consider any other brands.

NickiT
06-28-2006, 08:38 AM
And I am on my 2nd pair of Gams - I had a pair of 65s which lasted me about 8 years, and now I have 700s, the replacement model. Love them, and wouldn't really consider any other brands.

Another vote here for Gams. I'm in 65s still. I've had them six years now and the fitter checked them over and reckons I still have another two years in them. I do recommend you arrange a proper fitting though. Just because Gams work for me (and Mrs R) doesn't mean they're the best boot for you. We all have different shaped feet and so a fitting would be advisable.

Nicki