View Full Version : forward spin / backspin

mintypoppet
06-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Started learning a one-foot forward spin about a month ago. It's unstable, I wobble all over the place, and can't stay off the toepick. My weight's too far to the inside, and my body feels all wonky.

Started learning a backspin today, and I was on the sweet spot immediately. No problems. Unusual for me, since everything's normally harder on my right foot.

Now I know what a spin's *meant* to feel like, but I still can't replicate it on the forward spin. Does anyone have any advice for getting my weight in the right place, over the spinning foot? It seems to be related to my body position more than the foot, but I can't work out how to straighten up.

flippet
06-27-2006, 05:26 PM
You can do a backspin right off---before a forward spin??

Freak.

:lol: Seriously, that's unusual. Not unheard of, just not the norm. Usually it's the backspin that bedevils people. As for the forward spin, my first guess is that you're torquing your body somehow--that your shoulders aren't squared over your hips, and/or you're dropping a hip and/or shoulder. That's usually one of the larger problems with spinning. Without seeing a video, though, it's hard to tell just what your issues might be.

Skate@Delaware
06-27-2006, 05:40 PM
My husband could also do this! He was trying to do a one-foot spin and kept doing a backspin....:frus: I got mad at him and wouldn't help him anymore that day....(mature of me, I know). His backspin is still better than his scratch spin.

phoenix
06-27-2006, 05:46 PM
it isn't really the same feeling fwd. vs. backspin, so it won't translate over......for starters, a backspin is on a slight outside edge; a forward spin is on an inside edge. You'll just have to keep working at it.

Scarlett
06-27-2006, 05:51 PM
I starting learning the forward spin first but I find the backspin easier and it is a stronger spin for me. My issue with the forward spin is that in the wind up I drop my shoulder which puts my weight over the wrong side which throws me off my axis. Try concentrating on squaring your shoulders. Hope that helps.

doubletoe
06-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Yes, you really are a rarity! But fortunately for you, the backspin is a much more important spin in the big scheme of things.

But back to your question. . .

First of all, get your coach and/or pro shop guy to make sure your blade is mounted correctly on your left skate. If not, that could be the problem right there.

Second, try doing the forward spin entrance edge on the line from a T-stop position. Start at the line, bend deeply and push off onto a small, round edge, leading gently with the left shoulder. Make a very small half circle and return to the line before bringing the free leg through and starting the spin. While you're on the entrance edge, the free leg should be trailing behind you, even slightly crossed behind the skating leg. Once you've done the 1/2 circle, bring the free leg through gently to the front, keeping it low until it is in front, then lifting at the knee, instead of trying to swing it around high. Stay in an open position with your shoulders level and your hips level (you may need to think of lifting the right hip a little if you are still falling to the inside), Keep your skating knee bent, pushing the ball of the blade into the ice. When you feel secure after a few revolutions, start to pull in slowly and gradually straighten the leg but knever lock the knee out.

miraclegro
06-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Does anyone think this would have anything to do with being more open-hipped?

I am more closed hipped and can do a very nice forward spin, but my back spin is always my beast of burden. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Skate@Delaware
06-27-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure about being "close-hipped" but my back-spin battle has been pure evil! My scratch spin has been fair, but getting over onto that edge for the backspin has been an ongoing battle.....I have to warm-up doing back edges....and it is still a battle....

doubletoe
06-27-2006, 07:52 PM
I am open-hipped and my forward spin was really a challenge at first, but the backspin was even worse, so I guess I can't use that excuse, LOL!

Evelina
06-28-2006, 06:12 AM
I am closed hip, and my forward spins are ok, but the back spin is a nightmare. It seems that if I can hold it on one leg it turns into s series of 3 turns and there are no loops in the trace on the ice... you're very lucky to be able to do it, I know people who have not tested past level2 because for level3 you need 3revolutions on the back spin!

mintypoppet
06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
To contribute to the survey, I'm pretty close-hipped - not a chance of ever managing a spreadeagle, put it that way. As for using the backspin to pass levels, for my Passport I need 1rev on a backspin, and 4revs on a forward spin, with proper entry/exit. Four currently sounds like three too many.

Oddly enough, my RO edge is my weakest, so I'm pretty surprised that the backspin works - I think it's because my feet are crossed and so my weight's directly over my skating foot.

Thanks for all of your suggestions - I shall have a go next time I'm on the ice. I'll have to start dragging myself out of bed to morning patch sessions. Sonic's threatening to throw stones at my window to wake me up if I don't 8O

doubletoe
06-28-2006, 01:20 PM
To contribute to the survey, I'm pretty close-hipped - not a chance of ever managing a spreadeagle, put it that way. As for using the backspin to pass levels, for my Passport I need 1rev on a backspin, and 4revs on a forward spin, with proper entry/exit. Four currently sounds like three too many.

Oddly enough, my RO edge is my weakest, so I'm pretty surprised that the backspin works - I think it's because my feet are crossed and so my weight's directly over my skating foot.

Thanks for all of your suggestions - I shall have a go next time I'm on the ice. I'll have to start dragging myself out of bed to morning patch sessions. Sonic's threatening to throw stones at my window to wake me up if I don't 8O

Well, it's not really the back outside edge that gets you into the backspin, it's the forward inside entrance edge. When you do the first turn and come out on the back outside edge, you're really on the ball of the blade so you don't really have to be "on" that edge.
Yes, it's true that the backspin comes up later in most test structures than the forward spin, but I guess I was thinking more in terms of how useful a good backspin will be once you start learning jumps that require you to rotate backward over your right hip, especially axels and doubles! :)

mintypoppet
06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Axels? Doubles? 8O

I'm an adult beginner, I'm still trying to get my salchow, and if I ever get as far as an axel, I'll be one very happy (and stunned) bunny. But thanks for the vote of confidence :D

Skate@Delaware
06-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Well, it's not really the back outside edge that gets you into the backspin, it's the forward inside entrance edge. When you do the first turn and come out on the back outside edge, you're really on the ball of the blade so you don't really have to be "on" that edge.
Yes, it's true that the backspin comes up later in most test structures than the forward spin, but I guess I was thinking more in terms of how useful a good backspin will be once you start learning jumps that require you to rotate backward over your right hip, especially axels and doubles! :)
I only started to "get" the backspin when going into it from a pivot...and leaving my free leg out. Should I go back to attempting it from a 3-turn? I'm in boots that actually fit now so I can actually get on my edges (that was one issue I was fighting; the other was insecurity of getting onto the outside edge).

doubletoe
06-28-2006, 04:34 PM
I only started to "get" the backspin when going into it from a pivot...and leaving my free leg out. Should I go back to attempting it from a 3-turn? I'm in boots that actually fit now so I can actually get on my edges (that was one issue I was fighting; the other was insecurity of getting onto the outside edge).

That pivot entrance is tough, too! I tried it once and sort of left it alone after that, LOL!

techskater
06-28-2006, 04:52 PM
It depends on what works for you. I know several adults who passed Bronze FS with a pivot start backspin and now have a lovely edge to edge entry

flippet
06-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Does anyone think this would have anything to do with being more open-hipped?

I am more closed hipped and can do a very nice forward spin, but my back spin is always my beast of burden. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm pretty open-hipped (inside spread eagles are no problem, and I can get a decent outside spread eagle in a snap), and I can't do a backspin for the life of me. Just as soon as I hit that back edge, it 3-turns right back out from under me. Spinning did not come easily, period. I finally got a passable forward spin after years of practice, but that's all I have--no variations at all.

LilJen
06-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Hey, at least you guys *can* spin!! I guess I need more lessons on this one (only lessons were about 6 years ago in a group). I can't get past about 2 revolutions on 2 feet. . . (haven't tried 1-foot in a while). Anyway, good luck, mintypoppet!