View Full Version : Bracknell Adult Open, 29-30 June 2006

Mrs Redboots
06-27-2006, 12:01 PM
So who is skating when?

For us:

Thursday:

Husband 08:40 in the Under Level 1 Free "Classics" (oldest age group)
Me 13:25 in the Level 1 and under artistic

Friday:

Husband 09:20 in the Level 6 and under compulsory dances
Both of us
15:00 Level 4 and under couples compulsories
16:20 Level 4 and under couples free dance

and almost definitely the Drawn Partners at the end!

chantelly
06-27-2006, 12:10 PM
I am just doing level 6 and under compulsories at 9.20.
Maybe drawn partners i don't know. xx

flo
06-27-2006, 12:15 PM
All the best! Have a great time.

samba
06-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Best of Luck, Annabel, Nicki, Gayle, John, Chantellyand anyone else that I dont know that will be going. I am really going to miss going to Bracknell this year, but never mind there's always next year and of course I should see you all at the British in Sep/Oct.

TashaKat
06-27-2006, 12:35 PM
GOOD LUCK to everyone :)

Please say 'hi' to Will and Viv for me if they're there :D

TK x

BatikatII
06-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm doing my under level 2 free at 9.05 Thursday (pretty sure I'll be returning the cup what with new coach,programme, boots etc but you never know!)

Then the group artistic at 13.10 and the Improv at 15.00.

I'll also probably be on the gate on Friday so will see Annabel and the rest of the dancers then! I'm not dancing this year and looking at the huge number of entries I'm glad I'm not!

Good Luck everyone - see you all there!

mikawendy
06-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Good luck to all those competing! Have a wonderful time!!

twinkle
06-27-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm skating at 16.10 on Thursday - level 2 and over interpretive. Have been skating very erratically but I love the programme and feel pretty comfortable with it so I just want to enjoy it. This is the last time I ever plan to skate the programme.

jazzpants
06-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Good luck to all you guys at Bracknell!!! Go kick butt Annabel and Robert! (You too, 2loop2loop!!!) ;)

NickiT
06-27-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm competing on Thursday - Under Level 3 at 10.15 am and Small Group Artistic with Batikat and others at 1.10 pm. I'll be there all day Friday as I'm helping with results and on the gate so will see you there.

Good luck to everyone. I must admit I'm feeling sooooo nervous. So wish I could be like my daughter who is competing at Basingstoke tomorrow and actually looking forward to it!

Nicki

Sonic
06-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Good luck to all you guys taking part (and to any of the Oxford contingent if you happen to read this forum lol!)

Have fun all

S xxx

coskater64
06-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Good Luck to All!!:!:

sceptique
06-28-2006, 03:26 AM
I'm doing my under level 2 free at 9.05 Thursday (pretty sure I'll be returning the cup what with new coach,programme, boots etc but you never know!)

Me skating in the same group. My 2nd coach gave me a "kamikadze" look and said: "The most important thing is to enjoy yourself".

I also signed up for artistic but have to withdraw: with all work and travel I didn't have a chance to prepare the second programme.

PS: Does any one know what time the patch starts on Thursday?

PPS: I would also like to mess around with my photo camera, just to practice a bit. Please let me know if you mind having your pictures taken and I won't.

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Me skating in the same group. My 2nd coach gave me a "kamikadze" look and said: "The most important thing is to enjoy yourself".With hindsight, we should have entered Husband for that group, as that's where he'll compete if he does the British Adults, but there, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Anyway, at least he'll have got it over and done with, so we can go and have a bacon roll and watch you lot!

PS: Does any one know what time the patch starts on Thursday?The bumf sheet we got says 05:45.

PPS: I would also like to mess around with my photo camera, just to practice a bit. Please let me know if you mind having your pictures taken and I won't.I don't mind, but if you get a decent shot of either of us, please send us a copy! And don't forget the Laws of the Medes and the Persians when it comes to taking skating photos - NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY!

Which reminds me, I'd better charge up our video camera!

NickiT
06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
PPS: I would also like to mess around with my photo camera, just to practice a bit. Please let me know if you mind having your pictures taken and I won't.

I don't mind you photographing me if you so desire. I warn you though, I never skate anywhere near as well in competition as I do in practice. I suffer so terribly with nerves!

Nicki

2loop2loop
06-28-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm skating at 11.50 in the open standard freeskate. I'm not expecting a vintage performance though as I have hardly skated my program since the MC and training has generally been a bit erratic since (jumps were decidedly iffy this morning - I wonder if the eponymous jump combination will grace us with it's presence...). Even so, it should be fun.

Good luck to everyone else who's competing.

John

BatikatII
06-28-2006, 09:12 AM
With hindsight, we should have entered Husband for that group, as that's where he'll compete if he does the British Adults, but there, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Anyway, at least he'll have got it over and done with, so we can go and have a bacon roll and watch you lot!

I don't think you are allowed to skate up in free - it's not like in dance where you can choose your group - otherwise I'd have skated up to level 2 and under, where I could have come 3rd of 3!:lol: :lol: :lol:

The British Adults includes level 2 and under, so even skating in our group would not have been the same and don't they split the guys out in free anyway? Pretty sure we didn't compete against any guys - seem to remember thinking I'd have done pretty well against the guy group...........:lol:

Sceptique - I doubt you'll have time to take photos of our group but if you do it's no problem to me - just as long as I don't notice you - everytime I catch someone's eye in the audience I forget my programme!!!!!!!

Anyway given my lack of practice, I have to treat this one as just for fun, as I am not at all ready for serious competition and my boots are still killing me every time I put them on!

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2006, 09:56 AM
I don't think you are allowed to skate up in free - it's not like in dance where you can choose your group - otherwise I'd have skated up to level 2 and under, where I could have come 3rd of 3!:lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't think there was a maximum standard stated in the schedules, but I could well be wrong!

I've just checked - I'm not wrong; apart from in Pairs, there's no minimum test requirements, so he could have entered Level 2 & Under. Anyway, he did ask if he could go to level 1 & under and the secretary said would he awfully mind not, as that would leave only one person in that class and 3 in the level 1-and-under (oldest age group). So he agreed.... and then remembered that he could have a 3-jump if he wanted (the programme had been choreographed to conform to NJS requirements, and they don't count 3-jumps), so he dropped the cherry off of the end of his salchow-cherry combo, and replaced the not-in-combination salchow with a 3-jump. Sorted!

And yes, they do split the guys out at the British Adults, which is lovely for the guys..... mine you, he's going to get either gold or silver tomorrow even if he spends the entire minute and a half sitting on his bum on the ice, as there's only two of them....

chantelly
06-28-2006, 02:31 PM
well I'm off to bed see you all soon I'm there both days so say hello if you see me! xx

Mrs Redboots
06-29-2006, 12:42 PM
well I'm off to bed see you all soon I'm there both days so say hello if you see me! xxWell, I didn't see you today, but I saw lots of other people! Didn't see everybody skate, though so won't comment on individual performances other than ours, except to say that 2loop2loop did land it! A bit of a struggle, but it happened.... he was definitely the star of the show.

As for us, The Husband won his class, which wasn't very surprising as there were only two of them in it. But that wasn't important, although it's always nice to have a shiny trophy to take home. What mattered was that he landed his loop jump and he did 3 revolutions on his camel spin, which he has simply never done before! He has obviously landed his loop loads of times in practice, but no way did he land it at the Mountain Cup!

It was weird, actually, the first 30-45 seconds of his programme were awful, and I was like, oh no..... and then all of a sudden he got the triple 3-turns in the step sequence and after that he skated really, really well. I was sooooooooo proud of him!

What was interesting in all the free skating was that you could tell who'd competed in Europe, as their programmes were somehow all NJS-oriented. This was relative scoring, but most people did better than those whose programmes were choreographed for the relative system!

I skated really well, for me, and finished 6th out of a field of 8, which was pleasing. Artistic is always a bit of a lottery, but I got 2.1 for technical merit, which is unheard-of! Yay me!

Life is real and life is earnest tomorrow, though, with the dances. Looking at the pool of judges - well, we could have the ideal panel (I hope!!!!) or the panel from you-know-where..... Needless to say, we are drawn first in both events. Husband is drawn 2nd in his solos - that is going to be a very interesting class, as there are all sorts and conditions of skaters in it. He certainly won't win, nor make the podium (I'd be very surprised if he did), but he might well come in the top ten. There are five couples in the compulsories - my guess is we'll be either 3rd or 4th, but we'll have to see. In the free, I'm expecting we'll be second (there are only 3 couples in it, and I think we'll beat one of them, but I could be wrong).

samba
06-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Congratulations to all forum members that entered, from what Annabel tells me you all had very good results.

Does anyone know how Nicki and chantelly did?

twinkle
06-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I know that Nicki skated very well in her free to come second.

I skated fairly well but not as well as I have done in practice. I completed everything in the programme but never really got into the ice. I was 4th which is the most annoying place to come, but was happy not to come last.

samba
06-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, I didn't see you today, but I saw lots of other people! Didn't see everybody skate, though so won't comment on individual performances other than ours, except to say that 2loop2loop did land it! A bit of a struggle, but it happened.... he was definitely the star of the show.
Well done 2loop2loop!!

As for us, The Husband won his class, which wasn't very surprising as there were only two of them in it. But that wasn't important, although it's always nice to have a shiny trophy to take home. What mattered was that he landed his loop jump and he did 3 revolutions on his camel spin, which he has simply never done before! He has obviously landed his loop loads of times in practice, but no way did he land it at the Mountain Cup!

It was weird, actually, the first 30-45 seconds of his programme were awful, and I was like, oh no..... and then all of a sudden he got the triple 3-turns in the step sequence and after that he skated really, really well. I was sooooooooo proud of him!
Brill, I bet you were.

What was interesting in all the free skating was that you could tell who'd competed in Europe, as their programmes were somehow all NJS-oriented. This was relative scoring, but most people did better than those whose programmes were choreographed for the relative system!
Now I'm worried!!

I skated really well, for me, and finished 6th out of a field of 8, which was pleasing. Artistic is always a bit of a lottery, but I got 2.1 for technical merit, which is unheard-of! Yay me!
Yay indeed you clever little thing you.

Life is real and life is earnest tomorrow, though, with the dances. Looking at the pool of judges - well, we could have the ideal panel (I hope!!!!) or the panel from you-know-where..... Needless to say, we are drawn first in both events.
I like first because I can relax and watch the others.

Husband is drawn 2nd in his solos - that is going to be a very interesting class, as there are all sorts and conditions of skaters in it. He certainly won't win, nor make the podium (I'd be very surprised if he did), but he might well come in the top ten.
Who knows, with his new found confidence.

There are five couples in the compulsories - my guess is we'll be either 3rd or 4th, but we'll have to see. In the free, I'm expecting we'll be second (there are only 3 couples in it, and I think we'll beat one of them, but I could be wrong).
I shall once again keep everything crossed for you both.

Well done!!

Grace
xx

samba
06-29-2006, 02:20 PM
I know that Nicki skated very well in her free to come second.
Thanks for that, well done Nicki

I skated fairly well but not as well as I have done in practice. I completed everything in the programme but never really got into the ice. I was 4th which is the most annoying place to come, but was happy not to come last.Yes last is far worse, I most certainly have been there on at least three occasions.

Well done twinkle 4th is still not half bad, will you be at the British, so we can introduce ourselves?

twinkle
06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
No I don't think so, not unless I improve dramatically before the closing date. I don't feel I can justify the expense when I have no chance of skating well...

2loop2loop
06-29-2006, 03:30 PM
except to say that 2loop2loop did land it! A bit of a struggle, but it happened.... he was definitely the star of the show.

Everyone was a star, but thank you all the same. I haven't been working on the combination much recently but the first jump felt good so I thought I might as well have a pop at the double-double. I was a bit annoyed to miss my 2flip though. For it to work I have to take it very straight and I ran out of room to do that. If I had tried the double I would have fallen no doubt so I just did a single. Grrr.

Well done, I'm sorry I couldn't stay to see it but I had borrowed my dad's car and I had to collect him from work.

Good luck to everyone skating tomorrow.

John

NickiT
06-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Well done to all who competed. It was a great day as usual....at least it was once I'd skated! The big lead up to my skate was filled with the usual nerves though!

I had a very good skate. I had a bit of a wobbly start to my programme and didn't pull off one of my best loop-loop combinations but I soon settled into my programme and the rest went really well. I can honestly say it was my best skate yet in competition and definitely an improvement on last year. Sadly I only placed second in a class of two which was disappointing given I won last year, but I've come away knowing I skated better than ever and that's more important to me!

Our club's group artistic was one of just two entries as well and when we saw that Gosport were our rivals we wrote off any chance of winning gold. However, although we had a bit of a tangle with our ribbons at the end, we skated it well and raised a lot of giggles amongst the judges resulting in a first place finish! Yay to Batikat, myself and our fellow Bracknell skate mates!

It was great to meet up with everyone once again. Those who I saw skate, skated very well and all deserve a big pat on the back!

Nicki

BatikatII
06-29-2006, 04:32 PM
I was 4th which is the most annoying place to come, but was happy not to come last.

Isn't it just - and guess what - I got 2 x 4th places today.:x :roll:

I was disappointed not to get at least a bronze in the free skate as I was pleased with my skate, having landed both my loop and amazingly my flip (though possibly underrotated) and at least 2 of the judges liked it but the mark of the middle judge was just insulting in my opinion - not sure where he was looking or maybe he just didn't like me for some reason. Anyway he gave me more than half a mark less than the other two judges and I'm at a loss as to what he didn't like. Still 4th of 7 isn't too bad.

The funny thing was that in the Improv event the same judge was marking and he gave me really good marks for that, (better than those of the skater who came second in the free) and in line with the other two judges this time, which makes me think even more that he just must have missed something in my freeskate (I even changed my dress in the hope he wouldn't notice I was the skater he didnt' like!). I'm told this judges marks improve when he has eaten, so maybe he was having hunger pangs during my free!!:lol:

I wasn't disappointed at coming 4th in the improv as the skaters placed 1st, second and third are much younger (one still a teenager and the others in their 20's) and could easily have moved up a level or two (at least 2 of them have had papers in for their next level tests for months). We oldies (in our 40's ) knew we were fighting it out for 4th and 5th.

I did still get to come home with a medal though, as I was in the group artistic with 6 other Bracknell skaters (including NickiT) and we won. It doesn't sound so good when you realise it was out of 2 groups but the other group is one which regularly wins the gold, so we were pleasantly surprised to pip them to gold this time, (by about 0.1 of a point!!!!!!!!) despite our ending not going quite according to plan (I told them the ribbon would get tangled!!!!!!!!:halo:)

Anyway I'm on the gate tomorrow afternoon so will see those of you who are dancing tomorrow. Good Luck!

NickiT
06-29-2006, 04:47 PM
despite our ending not going quite according to plan (I told them the ribbon would get tangled!!!!!!!!:halo:)

Anyway I'm on the gate tomorrow afternoon so will see those of you who are dancing tomorrow. Good Luck!

Aaaah, but we had that ribbon star perfect all last week in practice while a certain person was away in Germany...lol! I think it added to the programme anyway!

See you tomorrow. I'm marking in the morning and on the gate in the afternoon so will get to watch all the skating tomorrow!

Nicki

BatikatII
06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Aaaah, but we had that ribbon star perfect all last week in practice while a certain person was away in Germany...lol! I think it added to the programme anyway!

Nicki

Hey - don't blame me!!! It wasn't just me away....... did you actually ever do it on the ice????? Germany was great - let me see - 'artistic practice' vs 'freebie trip to Germany to see a World Cup footie match, all expenses paid, great hotel, great food, free wine and beer, 7th row seats' - sorry - no contest!:lol: :roll:

Anyway, Ribbon = tangles - it's a natural law - and yes I think the mistakes made it all the funnier!!!

aussieskater
06-29-2006, 11:42 PM
...except to say that 2loop2loop did land it! A bit of a struggle, but it happened.... he was definitely the star of the show.

Congratulations to Loops and your hubby.

And congratulations to you too!

Life is real and life is earnest tomorrow, though, with the dances. Looking at the pool of judges - well, we could have the ideal panel (I hope!!!!) or the panel from you-know-where..... Needless to say, we are drawn first in both events. Husband is drawn 2nd in his solos - that is going to be a very interesting class, as there are all sorts and conditions of skaters in it. He certainly won't win, nor make the podium (I'd be very surprised if he did), but he might well come in the top ten. There are five couples in the compulsories - my guess is we'll be either 3rd or 4th, but we'll have to see. In the free, I'm expecting we'll be second (there are only 3 couples in it, and I think we'll beat one of them, but I could be wrong).

Good luck tomorrow. Which dances are you doing?

aussieskater
06-29-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm told this judges marks improve when he has eaten, so maybe he was having hunger pangs during my free!!:lol:

Maybe you could make sure he is fed a bellyful of warm nourishing soup before you skate?? :D

jazzpants
06-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Well, I didn't see you today, but I saw lots of other people! Didn't see everybody skate, though so won't comment on individual performances other than ours, except to say that 2loop2loop did land it! A bit of a struggle, but it happened.... he was definitely the star of the show.YAAAAY, John!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

As for us, The Husband won his class, which wasn't very surprising as there were only two of them in it. But that wasn't important, although it's always nice to have a shiny trophy to take home. What mattered was that he landed his loop jump and he did 3 revolutions on his camel spin, which he has simply never done before! He has obviously landed his loop loads of times in practice, but no way did he land it at the Mountain Cup!.

It was weird, actually, the first 30-45 seconds of his programme were awful, and I was like, oh no..... and then all of a sudden he got the triple 3-turns in the step sequence and after that he skated really, really well. I was sooooooooo proud of him!.Congrats, Robert!!! WOO HOO!!! :D I'm envious! I've never gotten 3 rev. on my camel. 2-2.5 maybe... and I don't wanna talk about my loop jump either!!! :x

I skated really well, for me, and finished 6th out of a field of 8, which was pleasing. Artistic is always a bit of a lottery, but I got 2.1 for technical merit, which is unheard-of! Yay me!YAAAY, ANNABEL!!! YOU GO, GIRL!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Good luck in your events tomorrow, you guys!!!

sceptique
06-30-2006, 06:18 AM
I won't mention my place, but at least I've got some decent pictures!

http://www.avomerfe.com/skating/Bracknell_2006.htm

samba
06-30-2006, 11:02 AM
I won't mention my place, but at least I've got some decent pictures!

Wow!! what fantastic pictures, are you able to say who took them? The competition must have been tough because you look great!!

sceptique
06-30-2006, 01:05 PM
The pictures were taken by Francesca from Milton Keynes. I have some more pictures of skaters from MK, Coventry and a few others, including Mrs Redboots, but they are all hi resolution and I need to Photoshop them to size. If the subjects allow, I will publish them as well.

chantelly
06-30-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm back! After a really nerve wracking 2 days I finally skated the compulsories (willow waltz and fiesta tango) and came second out of 13 :) . I was absolutly amazed but very chuffed. everyone did really well both days and made themselves proud so well done everyone! xx

samba
06-30-2006, 02:57 PM
The pictures were taken by Francesca from Milton Keynes. I have some more pictures of skaters from MK, Coventry and a few others, including Mrs Redboots, but they are all hi resolution and I need to Photoshop them to size. If the subjects allow, I will publish them as well.

Looks very professional, does anyone know if there will be an official photographer at the Adult British this year?

samba
06-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I can honestly say it was my best skate yet in competition and definitely an improvement on last year. Sadly I only placed second in a class of two which was disappointing given I won last year, but I've come away knowing I skated better than ever and that's more important to me!
Well that's all that matters, well done and Congratulations Nicki, see you soon!!

I'm back! After a really nerve wracking 2 days I finally skated the compulsories (willow waltz and fiesta tango) and came second out of 13 :) . I was absolutly amazed but very chuffed. everyone did really well both days and made themselves proud so well done everyone! xx
Congratulations chantelly!!

Mrs Redboots
07-01-2006, 06:21 AM
Looks very professional, does anyone know if there will be an official photographer at the Adult British this year?I expect there will be - possibly the person who was doing them at Bracknell. His photos aren't up yet.

Sceptique had some lovely shots of me, yes, please do publish them! I haven't looked at my photos yet, but will do later. Sceptique, you left your music behind, I noticed!

Mrs Redboots
07-01-2006, 06:32 AM
First up was Husband's solo dance (same class as Chantelly). I was too busy trying to film Husband to see his Willow Waltz (our camcorder is dying again, I don't think, if he decides to take it back, we'll get that brand again), but our friend told me his technique was great but his timing was decidedly random! That doesn't surprise me! In his Fiesta, he was focussing so much on his timing that he forgot about almost everything else, especially expression and pushing hard! But he did stay in time. And ended up 5th overall (out of 13) and 5th in both dances, which is utterly brilliant, especially since he is, after all, skating up a level. Plus, if they had put the men and women solo dancers into separate classes, he would have won, as he was the highest place man! He didn't quite believe it: "You'd better go and double-check, in case I'm imagining things!"

He finished behind Chantelly, FRBSkate (who took bronze), Tashakat's former partner's current partner (I said Hi to him on your behalf, Tashakat, and he was pleased!), and the woman who took Gold, and ahead of some very good skaters. His next ambition is to beat FRBSkate.... I think he'll have to wait a mighty long time!

There was then a long break until our couples dance classes started, during which we watched other dancers, chatted to friends and had lunch.

Our Dutch Waltz was fabulous, quite the best we've ever done it, even though we were drawn first. And our Fiesta was the best we've ever competed it, although not the best we've ever skated it. We ended up 2nd (out of 5) in the Dutch Waltz and 3rd in the Fiesta, so 3rd overall. The top two couples were both from Oxford, and we were the top Streatham couple! :) :) :)

It was only the three Streatham couples who were competing the free dance, and we were first to skate. We had never skated this dance before in competition - it was its World Première, and it was also the first time we'd put a lift in the middle of the dance, rather than at the end.

What we had not allowed for was the extra adrenaline caused by performing, which made me bounce up higher into the lift, and Husband lift me higher than usual - too high, alas..... next thing we knew, we were splat on the ice, me on top! I don't know how I managed to ascertain that he wasn't hurt and we could carry on - and all the time I was thinking "Oh, [expletive], I'm going to have to drive home!" But we did, and were into our step sequence only _just_ out of time, and finished in the right place! I messed up the steps coming out of the teapot at the end of the step sequence, though, but I don't think anybody except me noticed.

We had to take a deduction for the fall, of course, which pushed our technical marks down rather badly, but the presentation marks were really high! (This is still the relative judging system, they won't use the NJS at our level yet, alas - although you could tell, on Thursday, who's free programme had been choreographed for the NJS, it was weird!)

Sadly, the deduction was enough to push us down into 3rd place overall (out of 3), but if we hadn't fallen - I don't think we'd have taken gold, but it would have been close!

We are not hurt. I'm stiff all over today and Husband thinks he's pulled a muscle in his ribcage, but we think we'll be able to skate tomorrow, even though we'll probably have to take the lift out of our Poisoning Pigeons routine. We can put in something else, though.

Thank you so much, NickiT & BatikatII, for being so concerned for us! And our huge thanks to you and everyone else for a wonderful competition (told you I'd do a long & boring post about it, didn't I?!).

By the way, has anybody seen Husband's navy fleece sweater?

samba
07-01-2006, 06:36 AM
One of our young skaters who has just reach adult competition age, took part for the first time, her coach and herself both commented on the totally different atmospher to the younger skating competitions, the way everyone socialized and encouraged one another and basically a warm and friendly, comparitively pressure free environment.

samba
07-01-2006, 06:47 AM
(told you I'd do a long & boring post about it, didn't I?!).

Well I found it really interesting, ever thought of doing a write-up for the Link?

Hope you are both feeling much better soon.

NickiT
07-01-2006, 07:30 AM
First up was Husband's solo dance (same class as Chantelly). I was too busy trying to film Husband to see his Willow Waltz (our camcorder is dying again, I don't think, if he decides to take it back, we'll get that brand again), but our friend told me his technique was great but his timing was decidedly random! That doesn't surprise me! In his Fiesta, he was focussing so much on his timing that he forgot about almost everything else, especially expression and pushing hard! But he did stay in time. And ended up 5th overall (out of 13) and 5th in both dances, which is utterly brilliant, especially since he is, after all, skating up a level. Plus, if they had put the men and women solo dancers into separate classes, he would have won, as he was the highest place man! He didn't quite believe it: "You'd better go and double-check, in case I'm imagining things!"

He finished behind Chantelly, FRBSkate (who took bronze), Tashakat's former partner's current partner (I said Hi to him on your behalf, Tashakat, and he was pleased!), and the woman who took Gold, and ahead of some very good skaters. His next ambition is to beat FRBSkate.... I think he'll have to wait a mighty long time!

There was then a long break until our couples dance classes started, during which we watched other dancers, chatted to friends and had lunch.

Our Dutch Waltz was fabulous, quite the best we've ever done it, even though we were drawn first. And our Fiesta was the best we've ever competed it, although not the best we've ever skated it. We ended up 2nd (out of 5) in the Dutch Waltz and 3rd in the Fiesta, so 3rd overall. The top two couples were both from Oxford, and we were the top Streatham couple! :) :) :)

It was only the three Streatham couples who were competing the free dance, and we were first to skate. We had never skated this dance before in competition - it was its World Première, and it was also the first time we'd put a lift in the middle of the dance, rather than at the end.

What we had not allowed for was the extra adrenaline caused by performing, which made me bounce up higher into the lift, and Husband lift me higher than usual - too high, alas..... next thing we knew, we were splat on the ice, me on top! I don't know how I managed to ascertain that he wasn't hurt and we could carry on - and all the time I was thinking "Oh, [expletive], I'm going to have to drive home!" But we did, and were into our step sequence only _just_ out of time, and finished in the right place! I messed up the steps coming out of the teapot at the end of the step sequence, though, but I don't think anybody except me noticed.

We had to take a deduction for the fall, of course, which pushed our technical marks down rather badly, but the presentation marks were really high! (This is still the relative judging system, they won't use the NJS at our level yet, alas - although you could tell, on Thursday, who's free programme had been choreographed for the NJS, it was weird!)

Sadly, the deduction was enough to push us down into 3rd place overall (out of 3), but if we hadn't fallen - I don't think we'd have taken gold, but it would have been close!

We are not hurt. I'm stiff all over today and Husband thinks he's pulled a muscle in his ribcage, but we think we'll be able to skate tomorrow, even though we'll probably have to take the lift out of our Poisoning Pigeons routine. We can put in something else, though.

Thank you so much, NickiT & BatikatII, for being so concerned for us! And our huge thanks to you and everyone else for a wonderful competition (told you I'd do a long & boring post about it, didn't I?!).

By the way, has anybody seen Husband's navy fleece sweater?

Thanks for the write-up Annabel. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed your free dance and it was such a shame you fell. You have improved no end since last year. Good to hear you are not suffering too much today either.

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of this year's competition. Especially since there was no photographer last year. I reckon we'll have a bit of a wait for them to go up on site though, since it was the same photographer at Basingstoke on Wednesday and possibly he'll be at Guildford on Monday too. Hopefully it will be worth the wait though.

I can check the lost property at the rink for your husband's fleece if you can give me a bit more of a description of it. I expect there will be quite a few bits in that box after the last two days.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
07-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I can check the lost property at the rink for your husband's fleece if you can give me a bit more of a description of it. I expect there will be quite a few bits in that box after the last two days.
Thanks, Nicki. It's navy-blue, pullover-style with a short zip at the neck. The label inside says the brand is "Quechua", with a logo that looks like a small zig-zag or even a W. The logo is also embroidered discreetly on the left breast. The "sub-label" tells you it's from Decathlon and is a size S. (I have an identical one which is how I can give such a detailed description).

NickiT
07-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks, Nicki. It's navy-blue, pullover-style with a short zip at the neck. The label inside says the brand is "Quechua", with a logo that looks like a small zig-zag or even a W. The logo is also embroidered discreetly on the left breast. The "sub-label" tells you it's from Decathlon and is a size S. (I have an identical one which is how I can give such a detailed description).

OK. I'm at the rink in the morning so I'll see if anyone has handed it in!

Nicki

kateskate
07-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Hello. I'm new to this. Found it by accident. I competed both days at Bracknell. It was good fun as always. Bracknell is my favourite competition.

I think I would probably recognise some of you by sight but don't really know everyone who competes in Adult competitions that well - I'm pretty quiet!

I had a good 2 days though - I got a 1st (compulsories), 2nd (free dance) and a 3rd (free skating). I'm the one who's music didn't play both days! Don't know what was up with my CDs.

Just wanted to post something and say hi!

NickiT
07-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Hello. I'm new to this. Found it by accident. I competed both days at Bracknell. It was good fun as always. Bracknell is my favourite competition.

I think I would probably recognise some of you by sight but don't really know everyone who competes in Adult competitions that well - I'm pretty quiet!

I had a good 2 days though - I got a 1st (compulsories), 2nd (free dance) and a 3rd (free skating). I'm the one who's music didn't play both days! Don't know what was up with my CDs.

Hi Katherine. Yes I know you and you skated really well, as you usually do! We did have some problems with our sound system. I'm not sure why but someone said it was something to do with the way the CDs were burned. Still they got your music going OK in the end. Well done on all your medals!

Nicki

kateskate
07-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Katherine. Yes I know you and you skated really well, as you usually do! We did have some problems with our sound system. I'm not sure why but someone said it was something to do with the way the CDs were burned. Still they got your music going OK in the end. Well done on all your medals!

Nicki

Thanks Nicki. I think I know who you are but I don't think I saw you skate this year.

I was reasonably happy with my skate having scared myself sufficiently beforehand thinking I would be way out of my depth in level 5 and under free skating! I only wish I didn't look so ungraceful on the failed landings of my more difficult jumps! I saw it back on camera and it wasn't pretty.

I jokingly had a word with my coach who did my music for me ;) he felt quite bad about it. And yes it all worked in the end thankfully so everything was ok. These things happen....

chantelly
07-02-2006, 02:25 AM

Ooh well done you! Were you in level 7 and under compulsories?

kateskate
07-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Yes - willow waltz and fiesta tango.

Was it you that was second in that group? If so well done. Don't know if you wrote down the scores but it was v close!

I surprised myself in that group. I moved up to that level this year. I took my level 5 test in January.

chantelly
07-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Yes - willow waltz and fiesta tango.

Was it you that was second in that group? If so well done. Don't know if you wrote down the scores but it was v close!

I surprised myself in that group. I moved up to that level this year. I took my level 5 test in January.

Congratulations! Yes I came second, I was amazed at my place too as I have only just passed level 4 in may so i should have been in the class below! Third place was really close too. I got a good pic of us on the podium if you want a copy. That was my first competition in 6 years so it was a bit of a culture shock and I was violently sick before going on! I'm hoping it gets easier! Bristol opens next for me! 8O xx

Mrs Redboots
07-03-2006, 10:03 AM
I surprised myself in that group. I moved up to that level this year. I took my level 5 test in January.You were fantastic! My husband finished 5th in that group, and was thrilled to bits, but you top four ladies were all way beyond his level (he is determined to get there, though!).

All you Queens dancers have such wonderful edges - there must be some advantages to having to skate on such a tiny rink!

kateskate
07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
You were fantastic! My husband finished 5th in that group, and was thrilled to bits, but you top four ladies were all way beyond his level (he is determined to get there, though!).

All you Queens dancers have such wonderful edges - there must be some advantages to having to skate on such a tiny rink!

Thank you! :oops: Don't know what to say

And yes there are many things wrong with our little rink but we do have to do steeper edges to manage to fit anything in! The fun starts with transferring a diagonal step sequence to a big rink!

I don't think I saw you skate at all during the 2 days. I didn't stay for the afternoon of either day as I had to get back home.

chantelly
07-04-2006, 02:02 AM
How big is Queens then? Gosport is quite small too I think its 22 by 44m? So it was weird stretching it! I don't think I saw your free dance Kate, what was the music? xx

NickiT
07-04-2006, 02:50 AM
How big is Queens then? Gosport is quite small too I think its 22 by 44m? So it was weird stretching it! I don't think I saw your free dance Kate, what was the music? xx

Talking of rink sizes, it always amazes me that those who train on smaller rinks always do so great out on a full size one. I skate at Bracknell and am already worrying about competing at the British Adults at Lee Valley which is smaller. My step sequence runs from barrier to barrier as it is. Taking a few metres off the length of the rink and I'm going to go through the barrier!!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
07-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Talking of rink sizes, it always amazes me that those who train on smaller rinks always do so great out on a full size one. I skate at Bracknell and am already worrying about competing at the British Adults at Lee Valley which is smaller. My step sequence runs from barrier to barrier as it is. Taking a few metres off the length of the rink and I'm going to go through the barrier!!I do so agree! I always worry about our dances, too.

Thankfully we dancers have another warm-up at Bristol, and that's the same size as Lee Valley, so we'll have a chance to get used to skating on something that size.

NickiT
07-04-2006, 08:40 AM
I do so agree! I always worry about our dances, too.

Thankfully we dancers have another warm-up at Bristol, and that's the same size as Lee Valley, so we'll have a chance to get used to skating on something that size.

It is a bit of a worry isn't it? I've been working on my lutz-loop and I think I can pull that off a metre or two short of the barrier, but my step sequence is another matter. May need to tweek it a bit. I need to add some back threes for my level 3 tests anyway so maybe now's the time to change it a bit!

Nicki

chantelly
07-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Ooh are Bristol and lee Valley smaller than Bracknell then? Does anyone know by how much?

Mrs Redboots
07-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Ooh are Bristol and lee Valley smaller than Bracknell then? Does anyone know by how much?Bigger than Gosport, that's for certain sure!

They're the same size as Alex Palace, Oxford & Slough - 56 by 26; Bracknell, which is Olympic-size (like Basingstoke & Guildford) is 60 by 30.

chantelly
07-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Bigger than Gosport, that's for certain sure!

They're the same size as Alex Palace, Oxford & Slough - 56 by 26; Bracknell, which is Olympic-size (like Basingstoke & Guildford) is 60 by 30.

And theres me thinking I'd feel bigger than a flea at the next competition!

kateskate
07-05-2006, 08:25 AM

Queens is 50m x 20m so longer but narrower than Gosport. Although I think overall you must have the smaller ice surface. Lee Valley is less scary to fill - Bracknell and Sheffield are always the tough ones. You step on the ice and there is just so much of it!

My free dance was to 'Love is Blue'. Apparently that was a Eurovision entry a few years back but I'm too young to remember it! I'm using an instrumental version. Completely random choice.

NickiT
07-05-2006, 09:58 AM
My free dance was to 'Love is Blue'. Apparently that was a Eurovision entry a few years back but I'm too young to remember it! I'm using an instrumental version. Completely random choice.

That was the music for my free skating programme the year before last! Good choice ;)

Nicki

chantelly
07-05-2006, 11:07 AM
I don't think I know it either! Ooh its nice to feel young for once! xx