View Full Version : What is it you like the most bout skating?

crazi4sk-8-ting
06-26-2006, 06:55 PM
For me skating is all about the thrill I just love being on the ice. I also love the way the people look at me when they see how well I can skate. For me skating isn't just a sport it is my passion and I know that no matter how bad things get I will always have skating to clam my nerves after a long week.

kidskater101
06-26-2006, 07:47 PM
I also love the way the people look at me when they see how well I can skate. For me skating isn't just a sport it is my passion and I know that no matter how bad things get I will always have skating to clam my nerves after a long week.
You shouldn't be skating to "show off" you should be skating for YOU. If YOU are doing this to impress someone your wrong. This sport takes a lot of time, dedecation, and sweat. If any one is making you do this (truly) it isn't going to work out.
When you wrote "I always have skating to clam my nerves"
I think you ment calm.
And if you mean calm, HOW....?!
Preasure is on. Well, for me it is. Having to land jumps in time for comp. or really wanting to profect something but it doesn't work out.
But, inother words keep skating...........you'll really enjoy it.

VegasGirl
06-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Well see kidskater, you're missing the point... for crazi4sk-8-ing skating is simply fun, no pressure just joy and relaxation and if that includes the joy of being noticed and complimented by others then all the better!

You'll find out in time what the joy of skating is really about... trust me... either that or you'll end up hanging your skates up for good.

xofivebyfive
06-26-2006, 08:56 PM
I don't really know. I mean.. I've had chronic migraines since last November.. and it's so hard just getting up and going to school ever day. But, when my mom takes me to the rink, and I step onto the ice, everything just feels better. My pain melts away and there's just me and the ice. It's like, a huge weight is taken off of my shoulders, and I'm free to be whoever I want. I love that feeling. That's what keeps me going on my rough days. Skating is what's going to keep me from falling apart once my brother leaves for the Naval Academy tomorrow. I'll be skating for him from now on.

Chico
06-26-2006, 10:25 PM
challenge - I love the endless list of challenges.
fun - I really think skating is a hoot. Skating makes me smile in my heart.
flying - I love the feeling of flying.
fear - I like getting scared. Weird I know, but nothing feels better than being scared and trying anyway. Actually doing it is a huge high.
Making friends who actually understand all of the above. =-)
I can think of a million.

Chico

Paulie86
06-27-2006, 03:49 AM
I love the feeling I get when I get on the ice!!! I feel free. I love challenging myself and learning new things. I get an amazing rush when I know I've mastered a new element or have improved a lot. I love that it gives me something to strive towards, and that make's me happy :)

sk8_4fun
06-27-2006, 07:36 AM
I don't really know. I mean.. I've had chronic migraines since last November.. and it's so hard just getting up and going to school ever day. But, when my mom takes me to the rink, and I step onto the ice, everything just feels better. My pain melts away and there's just me and the ice. It's like, a huge weight is taken off of my shoulders, and I'm free to be whoever I want. I love that feeling. That's what keeps me going on my rough days. Skating is what's going to keep me from falling apart once my brother leaves for the Naval Academy tomorrow. I'll be skating for him from now on.

I feel like that, I'm probably alot older than u and i only skate recreationally, but when I get on the ice, its like all the rubbish I'm dealing with from day to day is left behind!:)

rf3ray
06-27-2006, 08:19 AM
I Love the Feeling of Spending $7000 a Year on it :-) Heheheh

Rusty Blades
06-27-2006, 09:13 AM
I Love the Feeling of Spending $7000 a Year on it :-) Heheheh

That feeling sure helps!

lovepairs
06-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Vegas,

I totally agree with you, and if that's what floats crazi's boat, then that's what it's all about! :P

Rusty Blades
06-27-2006, 09:52 AM
What is it you like the most bout skating?

I had to think about the question for a long time, then I realized the answer

It gives be something to obsess about without bugging other people 8O :roll: :mrgreen:

Frumpy
06-27-2006, 10:35 AM
for me skating is all about the thrill I just love being on the ice. I also love the way the people look at me when they see how well I can skate. For me skating isn't just a sport it is my passion and I know that no matter how bad things get I will always have skating to clam my nerves after a long week.

I totally agree!

I've never enjoyed being the center of attention...except when it comes to skating. I love showing off once in a while. :oops:

But the best part for me is the cold air and smooth feeling of gliding fast, and doing the jumps and spins that I've worked hard to learn. I'm completely in my own world. It always puts me in a good mood.

Evelina
06-27-2006, 10:49 AM
I love everything about it! I love the feeling of flying when I jump, I love the wind in my hair when I go really fast, and I definitelly love the challenges, no matter how good you are you can always raise the bar a little higher! I also love all the people I meet through it who know exactly what I am talking about when I obsess about not being able to do something!

AndreaUK
06-27-2006, 10:52 AM
I think for me its the sense of achievement, total escapism and the social aspects.

Andrea xx

Sonic
06-27-2006, 11:56 AM
I think for me its the sense of achievement, total escapism and the social aspects.

Andrea xx
Totally agree.

I can sort of see where crazi4sk-8-ting is coming from, though for me it's not that I love people watching me skate - (I still feel I look a bit of a geek lol!) - part of the attraction for me is having an unusual hobby - as an adult you tell your your friends/colleagues you've taken up skating and the reaction's often something along the lines of: 'Oh my God I tried that once and couldn't even let go of the barrier.'

This reminds me of something Mintypoppet told me the other day. Kurt Browning once pointed out that he can go onto a golf course and hit a golf ball anytime - just like that. He may not be Tiger Woods but he can still hit the ball nonetheless. How many people, though, could step onto the ice and do what we (totally mad people!) do?

Sxxx

Mrs Redboots
06-27-2006, 11:57 AM
With two competitions over three days this week, I'm beginning to wonder......

Sonic
06-27-2006, 12:01 PM
With two competitions over three days this week, I'm beginning to wonder......

Blimey...rather you than me! Just surviving my first one was hard enough and that was only a baby one....do you find you get less nervous the more you do Mrs RB?

S xx

Mrs Redboots
06-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Blimey...rather you than me! Just surviving my first one was hard enough and that was only a baby one....do you find you get less nervous the more you do Mrs RB?Not really, but I've learnt to make my nerves work for me, not against me. And I hate club competitions at our rink, which is what Sunday's is.

Why did I think this was a good idea?

Mrs Redboots
06-27-2006, 12:04 PM
This reminds me of something Mintypoppet told me the other day. Kurt Browning once pointed out that he can go onto a golf course and hit a golf ball anytime - just like that. He may not be Tiger Woods but he can still hit the ball nonetheless. How many people, though, could step onto the ice and do what we (totally mad people!) do?
Like when I passed my driving test just before Christmas and excitedly texted all my friends about it, and a certain skater who had better be nameless texted back that she'd just landed her first flip! That's much more of an achievement.

flo
06-27-2006, 12:20 PM
This year it was skating with Rob, competing at Mountain cup and meeting friends.

TashaKat
06-27-2006, 12:32 PM
GOOD LUCK ANNABEL :D

For me it's the feeling you get when you're skating backwards at a reasonable speed, your hair is flowing, it's all just so magical.

I also love the feeling of landing those jumps and when you hit a really good spin.

Also being able to skate to music so that you get lost in the music rather than worrying about the next step.

I know that it sounds weird but when you hit the deck going for a jump you get up, unhurt, and try again.

One of the 'tricks' that I really enjoyed doing was our 'Old Man's Death Spiral', I'll try and find a piccy for those who haven't been bored rigid by it before :) Hitting a good edge and getting a good split was a fantastic feeling :D

Probably the most magical time ever on ice was my Prelim Free test (my programme). I'd got a loop in there even though it wasn't one of the required elements but I was completely comfortable with it. My step sequence travelled nicely across the diagonal and ended in a toe loop. Standing there waiting to start (I was skating to the theme from Angel) the kids at my rink all let out a huge roar of encouragement. I remember laughing and, apparently, did the whole programme with a big grin on my face. I loved that programme. Oh, and even better, I PASSED :) A week later I passed Bronze (the 'proper' bronze when bronze meant bronze) Compulsories so it was quite a good week for me :)

samba
06-27-2006, 12:48 PM
When I skate I am just ME, not mum, not wife, not person bogged down with responsibilities, just ME. This is my ME time and everyone should have some in whatever way suits them best.

If I come back into this world, I wanna be a cat!!

Oh and Crazi4-sk8ting, if people look at you, its usually a compliment so get on with it.

doubletoe
06-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Nothing beats the feeling of a big spread eagle, Ina Bauer or spiral sequence on freshly resurfaced ice! :D Although a good flying camel or double salchow can be pretty darned satisfying, too! ;)

lovepairs
06-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Nothing beats the feeling of a good over-head lift. Hitting the top in one fast "up" rather than a double "up." Nothing in the world compares! :P

Lovepairs

kidskater101
06-27-2006, 06:46 PM
You'll find out in time what the joy of skating is really about... trust me... either that or you'll end up hanging your skates up for good.
Sorry Vagas Girl
I don't think... no I am NOT going to hang up my skates for good (right now I have none :cry: ) but.....
you have to admit there are hard times,
I love it when I get on the ice every thing just melts away,
but.... the hard times exite me and make me push harder and prove to my self what I can and can not do.

plus we go to the rink together and I have seen her get fusterated!:mrgreen:

VegasGirl
06-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Just wait, mark my words and see... and we'll talk in saaay... 20 years. ;)

crazi4sk-8-ting
06-27-2006, 08:13 PM
:P Sorry Vagas Girl
I don't think... no I am NOT going to hang up my skates for good (right now I have none :cry: ) but.....
you have to admit there are hard times,
I love it when I get on the ice every thing just melts away,
but.... the hard times exite me and make me push harder and prove to my self what I can and can not do.

plus we go to the rink together and I have seen her get fusterated!:mrgreen:
when you say everything just melts away is that inculding the ice????

Chico
06-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Oh...I agree with you on the ME thing Samba! Skating is where I can just be ME and as a mom and wife sometimes this person gets lost. I LOVE being a mom and wife but it's great remembering who ME is.

Chico

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2006, 07:46 AM
I like the way external irritations just melt away - I'm not aware that my contact lenses need refreshing, or the pair of dance tights I'm wearing are way uncomfortable, or that I'm really hungry, or that I got up at 5:00 am after not enough sleep, or..... when you're out there, working hard, you don't notice these things!

AndreaUK
06-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I like the way external irritations just melt away - I'm not aware that my contact lenses need refreshing, or the pair of dance tights I'm wearing are way uncomfortable, or that I'm really hungry, or that I got up at 5:00 am after not enough sleep, or..... when you're out there, working hard, you don't notice these things!

That is so very very true. I dont worry that my phone may get cut off because ive spent the money on coaching instead of paying the bill. I dont worry if my stomach thinks my throats cut, I really dont bother if Ive got an earache or if I feel my muscles are stiff. It all just goes, all distractions and worries of general life go away and there is just me, doing what I love and feeling that life just couldnt get any better.

LilJen
06-28-2006, 08:37 PM
When I skate I am just ME, not mum, not wife, not person bogged down with responsibilities, just ME. This is my ME time and everyone should have some in whatever way suits them best.

Amen to that, Samba.

I just love the feeling of gliding. Plus the challenges, plus the excellent exercise (and I can get all sweaty and not even feel it because of the rink "insta-cool" factor!).

Rusty Blades
06-29-2006, 03:03 AM
(and I can get all sweaty and not even feel it because of the rink "insta-cool" factor!).

To quote my Grandmother, women don't "sweat", they "glow".

I to like the fact that I can work hard and "glow" without feeling overheated. :halo:

kidskater101
06-29-2006, 07:50 PM
:P
when you say everything just melts away is that inculding the ice????

Ha Ha Ha! It would be a lot easer than huh?
When I mean every thing melts away I mean being angry at someone, troubles at home, school, and stress.
Now that I think about it I would be VERY upset if the ice melted!

TimDavidSkate
06-29-2006, 08:55 PM
The competition :twisted:

BlueIcePlaza
06-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Many of you have mentioned life's pressures dissipate upon stepping on the ice - and I feel exactly the same too.
Nothing else seems to matter, when skating.

:)

WhisperSung
06-30-2006, 09:22 PM
I love the jumps, especially learning new ones. I don't remember learning my first doubles since I was young when I learned them, but learning my double flip and lutz in my 20's has been such a rewarding experience.

I *do* remember my first double axel and triple salchow. Wish I could still do them with consistency! :P

I really like the feeling of the blades against clean ice, too. Edges feel so wonderful then. And the whole sense of accomplishment when you do something you've seen other people do but never thought it'd be you one day!

i love skating
07-02-2006, 09:17 PM
For me there are so many reason first is the fact that i had to wait so many years to live within cooee of an ice rink, (if 3/4 of an hour without getting red lights is with in cooee lol), and finally being able to get on the ice at 36 after pining for it all my life and having to compensate with roller skating and inline skating lots of the roller not so much inline.
I love it all the falls, finally getting something that has been frustrating, being able to do a spread eagle and spirals, learning jumps, and having the nicest coach, watching my daughter skate and skating with her, my skating friends, the spunky guys in the ice hockey team (hey i know its hockey but some of them are so cute), and the fact that there are no worrys on the ice, its fantastic hmmm cant really put it in to words but you all know what i mean, and for me a day skating in crappy boots (which is all i have at the moment my loaners have gone back to the owner:cry: ) is way better than a day doing housework

kidskater101
07-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Many of you have mentioned life's pressures dissipate upon stepping on the ice - and I feel exactly the same too.
Ohh, so when I mention the hard times it is different huh? :giveup: :evil:

mdvask8r
07-03-2006, 08:34 PM
. . . (if 3/4 of an hour without getting red lights is with in cooee lol), . . .
45 minutes is really not unusual -- so worth it for a sport we love, isn't it!

cooee???

kittie067
07-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I love the feeling that you're in another world. And the most important thing is landing everything cleanly. Plus its just so much fun!(most of the time)

Very refreshing in the summer too. Even the competitions are fun, just to be skating out there and saying "Hah! I did it!"

~kittie