View Full Version : when to start skating

kidskater101
06-26-2006, 06:27 PM
My sister two years ago had a child margaret, and she wants to know how old should margaret be to start ice skating. Any suggestions? how old should she be to start comp.?:halo:

crazi4sk-8-ting
06-26-2006, 07:00 PM
well i guess it dosnt really matter i started skating when i was twelve and i am really good. i think you should leave the desicion up to her.

NickiT
06-27-2006, 02:32 AM
My two did a few sessions on the mothers and toddlers classes when they were 2.5 years. To be honest they are way too young then to do much, but it doesn't hurt to get them used to the ice when they are little. I don't see the point of taking lessons until they are around 5 though as little children don't have the concentration skills or strength in their bodies to do a lot when they are very young.

Nicki

Clarice
06-27-2006, 08:33 AM
She should start when she shows interest, and start competing when she's ready. How's that for helpful? :) Seriously, if Margaret is 2 now, she can go skating with her mom on public sessions (assuming mom can skate) just to enjoy a fun family activity. No real need for lessons yet. They could take a mommy-and-me class for fun if they want, or, if Margaret can separate from mom and follow directions from an instructor, she could take Snowplow group classes - again, just for fun. I prefer them to be at least 4, but I have had kids as young as 2 in my class. Typically, they don't participate much. As long as you understand that the point at this stage for most kids is just to have fun on the ice, not real skill development, you'll be okay. Group lessons can continue for quite awhile, but you can switch to privates at any time, if she shows interest and ability. Her coach would be the one to recommend when she should start testing or competing. There are Basic Skills competitions for young skaters - I don't see the point in beginning competition that early, but a lot of people have a lot of fun with it, and believe their kids learn something from the experience.

Isk8NYC
06-27-2006, 08:38 AM
I taught the Mommy & Me class at our rink for a few years. When asked "When can they start skating lessons?" I explain that there are three criterium:

1) They have to be willing to leave Mom or Dad to get on the ice.
2) They have to be able to balance on one foot for a few seconds.
3) You have to be able to find single-blade skates that fit.

I put my own kids on the ice at 18 months. Before we start worrying about child abuse, I had them well-padded with snowsuits, helmets and mittens. A pair of double runners was all that was needed, although my oldest came on in her snow boots. I just gave them a fun introduction and let them have fun on the ice.

This year, I had two tiny tots for lessons. One was a four year old that was very attached to Mom and easily distracted by her cousins that were skating. She didn't do too well, even with my toys, markers, and games. They went "no show" several times and I have to believe it's because the little girl didn't want to skate. The second girl was all of 2.5 years old and she's a superstar. She managed one foot glides and swizzles, but most of all, she LOVED skating and taking lessons with me. I'm hoping the second girl comes back in the fall, I enjoy teaching her skating.

My suggestion is to pad and helmet the little one, put her on double runners, and just plan to have fun for 20 minutes or so. Many little ones can't do a full hour, at least in the beginning.

Evelina
06-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I started skating when I was just under 3 years old, and I took group lessons until I was 8. I stopped at that age for reasons beyond anyone's control really and just got back to it at the age of 23. It was great to have started at that age as I don't remember a time before skating, I don't remember ever having that uncomfortable feeling of being unstable on skates that most pepole get when they first step on the ice. For me ice was always something I was completely comfortable with and confident on, so I think the younger the better - within reason of course!

Sonic
06-27-2006, 11:59 AM
well i guess it dosnt really matter i started skating when i was twelve and i am really good. i think you should leave the desicion up to her.
...and really modest too lol!:P

S xxx

oz01
06-27-2006, 12:52 PM
She should start when she shows interest, and start competing when she's ready. .

Agree! My daughter started group less at 3 and didn't show insterest until she was 3 and half.

Kelli
06-27-2006, 02:43 PM
My rink absolutely requires skaters to be 4 before they can step foot on the ice, and while I always feel evil enforcing the rule, it seems like a reasonable age to me (and the coaches at the rink agree).

CanAmSk8ter
06-28-2006, 11:00 AM
I'd suggest waiting until she fits into a pair of regular skates rather than double runners. I've yet to see a kid be able to do much of anything on double runners except be held up and carted around. Some kids don't have a problem with this, but when you have an independent kid who *wants* to skate by himself or herself, it can get frustrating quickly because the lack of edges and boot support in double runners usually means they can't.

As far as lessons and competing, wait until *she* shows interest. Bring her to public skate, and see how it goes. If she won't let go of someone's hand, wants to quit after ten minutes, or cries every time she falls, wait six months and try again. Unless your rink has a special class for kids under four, I'd wait until she's at least three-and-a-half before trying regular group classes. If she seems ready before that, maybe try a fifteen-minute private to get input from an instructor on whether she's ready. But there is no "magic age"- I've had three-year-olds who have done fine in a class of four- to six-year-olds, and I've had seven-year-olds who really didn't have the motor control or attention span for group classes.

twokidsskatemom
06-30-2006, 02:11 PM
There is no RIGHT answer.My kids started early and they had never been away from us before going on the ice the first time. They had no trouble seprating from us as they wanted to be there.
If it doesnt work at 3, try a few months later. I have seen some 3s do great and some 6 year old hate it. Depends on the child.

kidskater101
06-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks a lot! my sister has put her on the ice a couple of times already and she absolutly loves it! The people at the skating office (at our rink) told us she could start a "snow plow sam" group lesson if she wanted to. (the snow plow sam is teaching them how to fall, get up skate foward, a small peice of backwards and stopping.):bow: :bow: :bow: 8-)

CanAmSk8ter
07-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Ask them if you can do a "trial lesson"- pay for one class, and then pay for the rest of the session if she does ok. At two, it's possible she won't want to get on the ice without a parent, and she may not have the attention span for a full class (usually thirty minutes). If it works out, great; if not, she can always go to public skate with her mom and try classes again in six months or so.

i love skating
07-02-2006, 08:56 PM
My friends daughter started about 2 months before she turned 3, she has two older sisters who skate and keeping her off the ice was the problem, she just copied the bigger girls and scootered off (on single blade skates). I think the fact that she was keen to skate was a major plus (also the fact no-one told her she couldnt just take off and skate like the big girls) Our coach gives her a short lesson because of the attention span or lack there of, she finds a short 10 min lesson or less works better with younger kids, she is also doing skate school plus gets lots of time in which to skate which is only if she wants to her mum is very easy going and if she dosent want to do it, then thee is no pressure on her to skate, she competed in her first comp in tiny tots with her helmet firmly in place very cute and she had a ball a few days before she turned 3, and her second comp a week later also had a ball at this comp, please dont anyone think that her mum is a stage mum beleive me she only skated because she wanted to and if she didnt want to skate she wouldnt have. So its up to the individual skater if they want to get on the ice or not the same with comps some kids love to compete others dont, my daught loves it and being in ice shows and shes 6 (she also loves singing and dancing for people regardless of if they want her too or not)

blue111moon
07-03-2006, 07:18 AM
She should be toilet-trained first. :) Cold air does stuff to the kidneys...

Personally, although my rink has tot classes for two-year-olds, I've found that most kids under four don't have the concentration or muscle control to get much out of group lessons, unless all you expect is for them to slide around and have fun. And, yes, that's a GROSS generalization; I know that everyone has a child who's an exception....but that's just an observation I've made after over 15 years of teaching First-time-on-the-ice kids. :giveup: