View Full Version : Which would you do?

Skittl1321
06-26-2006, 11:59 AM
As many of you know- I am going crazy (and probably stressing too much) over getting new skates.

I am working with rainbo sports because there is no local pro-shop that I can use. They recommended the Reidell Gold Medallion, and based on my measurements they recommended a 3 Wide. When I got it the boot was a great fit for my level, appropriate stiffness, well padded, but it was too big. I could easily pick my heel up 1 inch in the back after lacing tightly with my foot flexed. My left big toe could touch the front of the boot, and my right toes were close, but not touching. Both had room to wiggle, but my right foot had enough room that I could actually curl my toes under my foot. Clearly too big. But I don't know if they were too big because of width or lenght. Since my toe was touching the front of the boot- I am assuming width.

I can't get ahold of the fitter, but figured I would gather opinions before I call (since I really don't know how boots should fit- since these are my first real skates.)

Should I:
A) Let them recommend a different pair of boots (but rainbo only pays exchange shipping once)
B) Get the Jackson Competitor size 3 normal width- which based on my measurements is too small and too narrow, but I tried on and thought I should buy at the store. It was impossible to get it on before heat molding, but comfortably snug afterwards.
C) Get the Jackson Competitor size 3.5 normal width- which based on my measurements is too narrow, but I tried on in a store and thought was a little too big. It fit well before heat molding, but after heat molding it seemed too comfortable. Should the boot still feel snug after heat molding? Or is that all the stretching it will do- and it should be comfortable by then?

Thanks again. Hopefully the endless boot questions will end soon.

Mrs Redboots
06-26-2006, 01:12 PM
B) Get the Jackson Competitor size 3 normal width- which based on my measurements is too small and too narrow, but I tried on and thought I should buy at the store. It was impossible to get it on before heat molding, but comfortably snug afterwards.
That would be my advice; if the boot felt a little loose after moulding, then it is too large. Go for the size 3, which sounds like it'll be perfect for you.

Skittl1321
06-26-2006, 01:18 PM
That would be my advice; if the boot felt a little loose after moulding, then it is too large. Go for the size 3, which sounds like it'll be perfect for you.

Thanks. This is what my husband thinks too.
You've been great offering me advice. I have a lesson tonight so I'll have a real post in my journal :)

I'm even going to try to take my camera to the rink so I can video my rudimentary spiral and backward crossovers if we have time after class. That way I can see how much better I am in a few years.

doubletoe
06-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Do they offer combination width boots? If so, maybe what you really need is a size 3 that is wider in the front and narrower in the heel.

Skittl1321
06-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Do they offer combination width boots? If so, maybe what you really need is a size 3 that is wider in the front and narrower in the heel.

I'll have to try asking about that- but I've been having a hard time getting a hold of the woman helping me. (Although I do know she reads this board and probably thinks I'm crazy for worrying so much about this- as skates go $250 is cheap, but for me- that's a lot of money and worth worrying about)