View Full Version : just great!

kidskater101
06-26-2006, 11:41 AM
This sucks! about a month ago I, some how, fell the wrong way (is there really a right way!) and almost broke my heel off of the boot. It didn't brake off totaly, but just so you could start to pull it off on the right inside partof the boot. I took it to the shoe maker to see if he could fix it and he didn't want to take the chance of it comming off again and me braking my ancle. So after not even 5 months of having the skates I had to buy new ones. The best (it was beat sorry) part is, is that the place that I got them from had no "garentee" on them. So finally I went to the Skate for the gold store in hicksville and ordered a new pair. By the way if you don't know figure skates are not any where near cheap! I have not been on the ice for over a month now because they haven't placed the order untill two weeks after my order and Jackson backorders them! Skate for the gold said that I probably will get them some time in THE MIDDLE OF JULY!!! By that time I would have missed the start of my lessons and would have waited 2 months!!! This sucks!!!!! Does anyone know another store that could get them in for my lessons that start in less than 2 weeks!!!!! :twisted:

Debbie S
06-26-2006, 11:50 AM
The beat part is, is that the place that I got them from had no "garentee" on them. I assume "beat" means bad?

Did you try contacting the skate manufacturer (Jackson?) directly? They should be guaranteeing the construction of their boots even if the shop refuses to send them back for you (which they should). A girl at my rink had that happen to a pair of Gams and the shop sent them back to Gam, which fixed them for free and sent them back to the shop.

flippet
06-26-2006, 01:29 PM
The manufacturer should definitely be able to fix them--or at least try to fix them. They're the ones who are really 'responsible', not the shop where you bought them, who may not even have the right equipment to even try to make a repair like that. (Not that I'd trust them to do it anyway.) And not even a regular shoemaker/shoe repair shop necessarily has the ability or desire to mess with figure skates. (I imagine some do, but it's not their usual thing.) Send them to the manufacturer--it probably won't take all that long, and is much cheaper than a new pair of boots.

kidskater101
06-27-2006, 07:36 PM
They would not take back the skates OR even look at them because I have no RECIEPTE!!!! That is such B.S. can you belive that!?
I have not tried to contact Jackson, Just too much of a hastle! When I was looking for a place to get my skates I looked at Jackson's web site and they said that a fitting size should be a 1/2 size down from your dress shoe size. I am a size 8 1/2 so my size should be an 8. At skate for the gold they said that I have 2 different sized feet one was an 8 and the other was a 9:??. In there order book theyput me down as a size 9. (they never turned the foot sizer around. 8O arent you sopost to for different feet?)
Afew days l went to another place, who said I was a size 8 :twisted: they could get the skates in, in about a week but it would be $50 more and the blades were sold sepratly and that would be another $175 (about)
This was way too much money for me to spend and I decided to go with skate for the gold. :frus: :twisted: :frus: :twisted:

That was a very dumb move

I just called skate for the gold today and they said that it would take another week and a half to get a size 8, but it would take another 2 to 3 weeks to get the size 8 1/2 -9. When I went to there they said that the blade was included. Now they tell me its not, so I have to add another month on to that!
I should have spent the extra $200. I would have had them by now:frus: :twisted:

gt20001
06-27-2006, 08:59 PM
about going back to jackson i believe they have a 1 year warranty on their skates that is what the brochure that came with my first pair of skates said. And that was early this year. Also 8 weeks doesnt surprise me jackson is backed up right now and i heard that all boots that arent in stock are taking at least 8 weeks to be produced.

dbny
06-27-2006, 10:42 PM
The shop you are referring to is "Skate for Gold", and I've been there many times, but never bought boots or blades from them. Another well known shop in your general area is "Dante Cozzi" at the Newbridge Arena in Bellmore. Dante does an excellent job fitting, and also has a great reputation as a sharpener.

VegasGirl
06-28-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm sorry... and you can flame me if you want... but I am starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better for you to spend less time on the ice and more studying... it's almost painful to read your posts. 8O

kidskater101
06-29-2006, 12:57 PM
but I am starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better for you to spend less time on the ice and more studying... it's almost painful to read your posts. 8O

What!? I have no idea what you are trying to say. That makes NO sence!reread what you are trying to say! does anyone else understand? :giveup:

Debbie S
06-29-2006, 01:15 PM
does anyone else understand? :giveup:Me, me! (raises hand) She's saying you'll get more response (and more respect) if your posts aren't riddled with spelling and grammar errors. Punctuation is highly underrated.

Debbie, the former (now recovering) teacher, and current public relations manager (aka company copywriter)

kidskater101
06-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Me, me! (raises hand) She's saying you'll get more response (and more respect) if your posts aren't riddled with spelling and grammar errors. Punctuation is highly underrated.

Debbie, the former (now recovering) teacher, and current public relations manager (aka company copywriter)

Well, Sorry! I can not find the spell check on the "reply to thread"! We have a very old comp. without any application like word, or microsoft works on it.
School is over, and I could care less! But, I will try harder.

p.s. congrats, on the former (now recovering) teacher, and current public relations manager (aka company copywriter)

kidskater101
06-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Good news!
I canceled the order with "Skate for Gold" and will have the skates in 1 to 3 days with another companey! They are a little more expensive but, they have free shipping!

p.s. how did I do now?

techskater
06-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Still some typos

VegasGirl
06-29-2006, 08:48 PM
I can not find the spell check on the "reply to thread"! We have a very old comp. without any application like word, or microsoft works on it.
School is over, and I could care less!

Hm... you're just re-enforcing my point... :roll:

Debbie S
06-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Hm... you're just reenforcing my point... :roll:In the interests of equality here ;) , it is actually reinforcing. It would seem that it would be the way you spelled it, b/c the root word is "enforce", not "inforce", but I guess there must be a rule about 2 e's next to each other, or maybe that's just how someone long ago decided the word would be spelled. One of my student teaching assignments was in a school for ESL (English as Second Language) students, and I could see firsthand how difficult English is to learn - so many spelling and gammar rules seem to defy logic.

And having taught 6th and 7th grade in a K-8 private school that emphasized "games" over facts and skill foundations, I could see the fallout from not teaching kids spelling and grammar - yikes!

I'm glad you were able to work out your skate situation, kidskater.

Mercedeslove
06-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Good news!
I canceled the order with "Skate for Gold" and will have the skates in 1 to 3 days with another companey! They are a little more expensive but, they have free shipping!

p.s. how did I do now?

Don't worry about the typeos. It's not like everyone doesn't make them. I bet this reply is filled with them left and right. Do I care? No. Why? Because nobody is prefect.

TashaKat
06-29-2006, 11:17 PM
I have not tried to contact Jackson, Just too much of a hastle!

So how can you complain if you haven't given the manufacturer an opportunity to make them right again? Surely it's easy enough to contact Jackson and see what they say?

Well, Sorry! I can not find the spell check on the "reply to thread

Not aiming this at you, kidskater, but don't you find that this is the problem these days? Kids just aren't taught to spell. A friend a work doesn't have a clue about spelling because she was taught to write phonetically :roll: It's really embarrassing to look at some of the 'official' letters that she sends out, it makes her look dumb when she's not. I rarely use spell check but kids today are brought up on it!

VegasGirl
06-30-2006, 05:42 AM
In the interests of equality here ;) , it is actually reinforcing.

Oops no... the '-' between the 'e's just got lost... was meant to read 're-enforcing':

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=re-enforce

Will go and make the correction.

Skittl1321
06-30-2006, 07:45 AM
Don't worry about the typeos. It's not like everyone doesn't make them. I bet this reply is filled with them left and right. Do I care? No. Why? Because nobody is prefect.

I don't want to pick on the original poster- but I think there is a difference between a few typos, and posts that are difficult to read because there are so many.

Things like could care less versus couldn't care less, bug me- but I still get the main point. Occasionally there are some posts that have so many errors it makes them hard to read. Since this board has an international base, it seems we should all try hard to type with as much clarity as possible.

(I rarely use spell checker on forums, but when I try to write out something I don't know how to spell I use a dictionary to find it.)

flippet
06-30-2006, 10:50 AM
(I rarely use spell checker on forums, but when I try to write out something I don't know how to spell I use a dictionary to find it.)

And bless you for that! :D

I was just reading (hah! I just started to type 'reeding' until I realized what I'd done and went back to fix it!! Duh!) an article in the local newspaper, and they used the phrase "which peeked their interest." :frus::frus::frus::frus::frus: (Can I have a few more of those wall smilies, please?) It's one of the things that drives me absolutely freaking nuts. If you don't know how to use the proper word (which is piqued, by the way), you're better off leaving it out entirely. :evil: Or, y'know...look it up!!

Back to the original post, though....I agree with TK here:

So how can you complain if you haven't given the manufacturer an opportunity to make them right again? Surely it's easy enough to contact Jackson and see what they say?

All it takes is a phone call or an email--surely that can't be too much hassle? Especially when it could save you hundreds of dollars? Very much worth it, I'd say.

kidskater101
06-30-2006, 06:32 PM
No, no, no, no, no! I am sorry that I confused you guys but my old skates (the broken ones) did not come from jackson. And after everyone yelled at me (uhum, uhum) I contaced them! They mostly said too bad! The new skates (Jackson freestyle) obviously came from Jackson! Skate for the gold couldn't get them because they said they were on backorder. But the company that I am using now just shipped them and I will have them in 2 to 3 days! This company is not just a figure skating store, but skate for the gold is!

Any way, getting back to the spelling issue, OUCH! I will try harder to prefect my spelling. Not trying to add more fire to the situation, but if you can you believe it I am in English Honers!!!!:lol: !!!!:lol: So ha ha ha!
So what do you have to say to that!!!

P.S.Mercedeslove IS ON MY SIDE!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not All Kids Are "Dumb" Most Just Don't Try.

kidskater101
06-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Still some typos
now what?!:giveup:

CanAmSk8ter
07-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Any way, getting back to the spelling issue, OUCH! I will try harder to prefect my spelling. Not trying to add more fire to the situation, but if you can you believe it I am in English Honers!!!!:lol: !!!!:lol: So ha ha ha!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not All Kids Are "Dumb" Most Just Don't Try.

Actually, it's "honors". :lol: Sorry, I usually stay out of these conversations but I couldn't resist the irony of that.

Kidskater, I'm not sure if you realize that the majority of the posters on this forum are adults. Childish comments like the ones I quoted aren't going to make you popular here; we don't mind younger posters, especially ones who make an effort to write mature posts with reasonably good grammar and spelling, but people aren't going to go out of their (almost wrote "there") way to read your posts, let alone respond, if they know they may not be able to understand what you're asking and may get an immature, obnoxious response if they do figure it out. None of us mind the occasional typo- we all make them- but if you've got people telling you they can't understand what you're asking, there are problems with your post. Remember, the fewer people there are reading your posts, the less likely it is that your questions will get answered, so I'd try to remember to reread what you've written before hitting "submit reply". I have a feeling you're roughly eleven or twelve, but what I quoted makes you sound about seven.

sk8_4fun
07-01-2006, 02:59 PM
They would not take back the skates OR even look at them because I have no RECIEPTE!!!! That is such B.S. can you belive that!?
I have not tried to contact Jackson, Just too much of a hastle! When I was looking for a place to get my skates I looked at Jackson's web site and they said that a fitting size should be a 1/2 size down from your dress shoe size. I am a size 8 1/2 so my size should be an 8. At skate for the gold they said that I have 2 different sized feet one was an 8 and the other was a 9:??. In there order book theyput me down as a size 9. (they never turned the foot sizer around. 8O arent you sopost to for different feet?)
Afew days l went to another place, who said I was a size 8 :twisted: they could get the skates in, in about a week but it would be $50 more and the blades were sold sepratly and that would be another $175 (about)
This was way too much money for me to spend and I decided to go with skate for the gold. :frus: :twisted: :frus: :twisted:

That was a very dumb move

I just called skate for the gold today and they said that it would take another week and a half to get a size 8, but it would take another 2 to 3 weeks to get the size 8 1/2 -9. When I went to there they said that the blade was included. Now they tell me its not, so I have to add another month on to that!
I should have spent the extra $200. I would have had them by now:frus: :twisted:

I dont know what consumer law is like in the US, but here in the uk goods have to be fit for purpose and if they go faulty within the guarantee period you are entitled to a repair. and your contract is with the shop that supplied them so they are obliged to send the back to fix em for ya. I'd persue it even if you are getting new ones. it could be useful to have spares?

kidskater101
07-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Kidskater, I'm not sure if you realize that the majority of the posters on this forum are adults. Childish comments like the ones I quoted aren't going to make you popular here; we don't mind younger posters, especially ones who make an effort to write mature posts with reasonably good grammar and spelling, but people aren't going to go out of their way to read your posts, let alone respond, if they know they may not be able to understand what you're asking and may get an immature, obnoxious response if they do figure it out. None of us mind the occasional typo- we all make them- but if you've got people telling you they can't understand what you're asking, there are problems with your post.

Two things, how would you know if I was a "kid" if my login name wasn't kidskater101???:?:, You said, "people aren't going to go out of there way to read my posts," but, you did.

I have a feeling you're roughly eleven or twelve, but what I quoted makes you sound about seven.
Wrong and Wrong.
I am not on here to make "childish" comments. I am here to ask simple questions about skating. I was not being "childish" in my posts or threads. They were serious comments/questions.

kidskater101
07-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Kidskater, I'm not sure if you realize that the majority of the posters on this forum are adults. Childish comments like the ones I quoted aren't going to make you popular here; we don't mind younger posters, especially ones who make an effort to write mature posts with reasonably good grammar and spelling, but people aren't going to go out of their way to read your posts, let alone respond, if they know they may not be able to understand what you're asking and may get an immature, obnoxious response if they do figure it out. None of us mind the occasional typo- we all make them- but if you've got people telling you they can't understand what you're asking, there are problems with your post.

Two things, how would you know if I was a "kid" if my login name wasn't kidskater101???:?:, You said, "people aren't going to go out of there way to read my posts," but, you did.

I have a feeling you're roughly eleven or twelve, but what I quoted makes you sound about seven.
Wrong and Wrong.
I am not on here to make "childish" comments. I am here to ask simple questions about skating. I was not being "childish" in my posts or threads. They were serious comments/questions.

p.s. what is so bad about having some fun once in a while?

renatele
07-03-2006, 08:38 PM
... but aren't you 12 years old? (unless your birthday falls somewhere between June 6th and now, that is - in which case, you are 13 now)

flippet
07-04-2006, 08:22 AM
No, no, no, no, no! I am sorry that I confused you guys but my old skates (the broken ones) did not come from jackson. And after everyone yelled at me (uhum, uhum) I contaced them! They mostly said too bad! The new skates (Jackson freestyle) obviously came from Jackson! Skate for the gold couldn't get them because they said they were on backorder. But the company that I am using now just shipped them and I will have them in 2 to 3 days! This company is not just a figure skating store, but skate for the gold is!

So where did the old ones come from, then?

As for what I have to say about you supposedly being in English Honors---I think your teacher (or whoever placed you there) should be shot. (Well, you did ask. :lol: ) If that is what passes for 'good', even 'excellent' use of English where you are, then the educational system has really gone downhill.

As for telling how old you are--your username could be 'momof3' and we'd still suspect that you're a child. We have a little thing called experience--with reading posts, with using the English language, and with interacting with children/persons much younger than we are. (In fact, quite a few of us have kids your age, and trust me....we know you when we see you.)

It's not a bad thing, necessarily. It's just that pre-teens tend to behave in certain ways versus teens, versus college kids, versus adults---and the markers are easy to spot. (For instance....adults don't care who is on anyone's "side"...or if they do, they generally don't advertise it like you did, because they realize that it is a relatively immature way to relate to people.) Maturity comes with experience, as well as age, and you'll gain both. :)

I hope you get your skate situation straightened out without too much expense. The upshot of what we've been trying to say is, repair is usually less expensive than replacement, and is usually well worth the minimal hassle it may take. (Of course, this presumes your skates are otherwise in good shape--if they're trashed to begin with, then perhaps replacing them makes better sense.)

Tennisany1
07-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Actually, it's "honors". :lol:

In some places it is honours!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I am a terrible speller so I will just go back into my glass house and not throw anymore stones :lol:

crazi4sk-8-ting
07-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Kids today can type without even looking at the keyboard and somtimes your fingers slip and you end up pushing another letter. I am a kid also and it is hard to keep up. (not just with school work,but with everything else)

p.s. Don't any of you adults remember what it was like to be a kid???

doubletoe
07-05-2006, 12:19 PM
kids today can type without even looking at the keybord and somtimes your fingers slip and you end up pushing another letter. I am a kid also and it is hard to keep up. (not just with school work,but with everything else)

Believe it or not, I think most of us DO remember what it was like to be a kid (I know I do!). It's just that we now realize the importance of some things that we didn't realize when we were kids, and that's why we tell you. I hope all of us can retain the best parts of being a kid (staying open-minded, keeping our enthusiasm towards new experiences and remembering how to have fun) while also taking on the best things about being an adult (being responsible, being nice and respectful to other people even if we don't really like them, etc.).

Most things were pretty much the same when we were kids, but some things have definitely changed, such as the importance placed on writing properly. I think a lot of us adults are worried that kids and teens will get so used to IM-ing and text messaging using abbreviated spelling that they won't be able to write properly when they grow up and have to write business letters and important documents. That can be a huge handicap, resulting in a loss of respect from others in the professional world and keeping them in jobs that don't pay enough. Spell check won't solve all your problems, either. For example, you can write "herd" instead of "heard" or "desert" instead of "dessert" and it won't catch the mistakes because they are all words--just the wrong ones!

Skittl1321
07-05-2006, 12:23 PM
kids today can type without even looking at the keybord and somtimes your fingers slip and you end up pushing another letter. I am a kid also and it is hard to keep up. (not just with school work,but with everything else)

I type without looking at the keyboard, but I still check to make sure my posts are easily read. A few typos isn't a big deal. (Like your post right here, is easy to read, although capital letters would make it even easier.) But when there are so many typos, and no capital letters at the start of sentences- it is tough.

I do remember what it was like to be a kid, and I remember when I was communicating with adults I was "on my best behavior" and spoke properly. By the time I was in middle school I was posting on newsgroups- so I was even in the age of the internet. All the abbreviations didn't come up until IM. I never really used them because I type fast enough that I can type as fast as I talk. But I understand some people need them to keep a good rate of conversation going. BUT on a message board, you can take the extra time. It's not real time communication like IM is.

I don't think it's a problem to learn shortcuts and abbreviations to use with other kids in messaging, but boards like this have both age groups. It's not fair for us to pick on kids for everything, but I think it's important to meet in the middle- since both ages are represented. [Such as, it's not a huge deal if you don't use capital letters, as long as you use proper punctuation. Or, I won't ever complain about a misplaced comma or a single typo as long as it looks like the poster tried. Everyone makes mistakes. But there is a difference between making a mistake and not even caring enough about the other posters on the board to make an effort to be understood.]

And even more than the age divide, I'll go back to what I said in my first post- there are international users on this forum who do not speak english as a first language. Those users are for whom clarity in posting is most important.

Debbie S
07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
For example, you can write "herd" instead of "heard" or "desert" instead of "dessert" and it won't catch the mistakes because they are all words--just the wrong ones!Not to get us OT, but when I was a teacher I saw this all the time on kids' papers. In one example, in a paper on Islam (9th grade history was "Great Civilizations"), a student wrote "scared" instead of "sacred" every time ("The Dome of the Rock is scared to Muslims"), and spell check obviously never picked it up. To make this story even better, she chose to rewrite the paper for a better grade (an option the kids had) and still didn't correct the misspelling, despite my circling every example of the mistake. When I commented about it on the rewrite, she came to me, dumbfounded, and said she didn't understand why I kept saying that was wrong when spell check didn't call it out. (Gee, why would a teacher know anything about spelling?:roll: ) I pointed out why it was an error and suggested to her that she check the dictionary to verify spellings and meanings b/c spell check doesn't necessarily pick up every mistake, and she looked at me like I was from another planet.

Lesson here: as doubletoe pointed out, spell check is not the last word in spelling, and there are certain situations where spell check is not available - such as job applications that you have to fill out by hand, plus isn't there an essay section now on the SATs? If you want people to respect you and communicate with you as an equal, whether at a job or on a message board, sloppy writing doesn't do it.

BatikatII
07-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Sorry to stay off topic but I think that now we are going to see even more instances of incorrect spelling and grammar as the kids that never learned to spell are growing up and some are going into teaching. I was at a secondary school the other day and in the music room was the following notice

'If your not asking questions your not learning'

or some such admirable sentiment.......

...but I just wished I had a big black pen with me to correct the teacher's dreadful mistake of using 'your' when she meant 'you're'.

If that is what the kids are seeing every day from teachers how can we possibly expect them to use the correct form of words? You can't blame the kids when they are being taught badly.

If only I had had a pack of post-it notes I would have left a message correcting it!!!!!!!!

Crazi4sk-8-ting: - we adults can type without looking too you know (it's called touch-typing and you needed to be fast and accurate in the days when a mistake meant getting the tippex out or re-doing the whole thing) but all you have to do is read over what you've written before you send and correct any mistakes - doesn't take long! Oh and I do remember what is was like to be a kid and as someone mentioned above, we were taught to respect our elders and to write politely. I guess that's why we like to have the same courtesy extended to us now we are adults. It's just so much easier to read and understand.

crazi4sk-8-ting
07-05-2006, 04:49 PM
I meant no disrespect in my last post, but it really is hard being a kid. We are still taught to respect our elders, but when it comes to school things toattly change. Peer preasure is a lot more than being asked to smoke or take drugs. I am lucky, I am not often picked on because I am a brainyac ( Not sure how to spell that, not sure they have it in the dictionary either.) .but I am not dumb either. I am not a wiz-kid nor am I a idiot. I just do the best I can, but for some people I guess that just isn't enough.

doubletoe
07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I meant no disrespect in my last post, but it really is hard being a kid. We are still taught to respect our elders, but when it comes to school things toattly change. Peer preasure is a lot more than being asked to smoke or take drugs. I am lucky, I am not often picked on because I am a brainyac ( Not sure how to spell that, not sure they have it in the dictionary either.) .but I am not dumb either. I am not a wiz-kid nor am I a idiot. I just do the best I can, but for some people I guess that just isn't enough.

Don't worry, you didn't come across as disrespectful at all. And doing your best is ALWAYS enough.:halo:

jazzpants
07-05-2006, 05:04 PM
p.s. Don't any of you adults remember what it was like to be a kid???I SUUUUUURE do remember what it's like to be a kid about your age (12.) I was still ice skating weekends on crowded public session and in rental skates I also remembered very clearly having my teachers harass me about my grammar/spelling/etc and not doing well in English class. The worst part was I didn't have a "spell checker" or a word processor back in my day!

My "spell checker" was me and my hard copy dictionary! I was working with paper, pen, and LOTS of white-out!!! In high school, I was upgraded to a manual typewriter and LOTS of white-out tape!!! :lol: In college, I was upgraded to an electric typewriter! Oh, wait! You guys probably have never seen a typewriter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typewriter)... You guys probably also don't know anything about 1" left and right margins and double spaced lines, huh? :roll:

And if you think I have it easy... remember this... ENGLISH WAS NOT MY FIRST LANGUAGE!!! (And I still have to keep up with my first language too, because it's "expected" coming from my culture!)

And if you think that English and grammar isn't important when you're a grown-up, just wait 'til you're working at an office job where you would need excellent communication skills. People are NOT going to take you seriously if you don't have good English skills! (And if you were working as an editor of a computer magazine like I was once upon a time, you would eventually be fired from your job with misspelling like those going out to print or production!!!)

Sorry if I sound harsh, but given what I went through as a kid and the expectations put upon me to be perfect in English and still keep up with my Chinese studies (never mind avoid bullies and peer pressure), this is one area where my patience is low!!!

BatikatII
07-05-2006, 05:14 PM

Hey if you think it's tough being a kid - try being an adult!!!:lol: Life is tough for us too you know. Doing your best is always enough but you can always learn something and I think that is all people are hoping for. We have a TV programme called 'Brainiac' in the UK so I guess that's how you'd spell it. See you've learned something today!!8-) When you are older and the teachers or your employer is complimenting you on your written work you can thank us all for, gently, (I hope), encouraging you to write as well as you can and not to be satisfied with less. Good Luck for the future and have fun skating.

Isk8NYC
07-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm out of the loop on this thread, but I'll congratulate KidSkater17 on his/her new skates!

As for the controversy over the spelling and punctuation, every online board is different and has a standard. If you look at the majority of posts on this board, they're well-written and are very easily read. I remember lurking before I joined and seeing someone else get a very gentle reminder that IM-speak isn't appropriate on this board. (You can always edit mistakes later.)

I feel that threads that start off with proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation tend to get faster, productive replies and they last longer. Just my opinion.

kidskater101
07-05-2006, 08:01 PM
I truly have nothing more to say about the spelling issue.
The only thing that I am going to say is that my skates are comming tomorrow. I contacted Jackson and they would not sell directly to the public. But ordering my skates from a store outside of N.Y. is A LOT CHEAPER!

If you have a problem with my spelling and how I act you do not have to reply to any of my threads or posts. You might think that I am disrespectfull but I was taught to speak up when something isn't right. Unfortunatly, I can not learn as quick as other students and have a harder time in school. You might say that the schooling is going down the drain but you can't blame that on the students! I am not 11 or 12 right now I am 13 and on July 9th I am turning 14.

:??

doubletoe
07-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Kidskater, is it okay if someone compliments you on your perfect spelling, grammar and punctuation? ;)
And that's good news about your skates! :D

doofsy
07-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Hi everyone... I've never posted before, but I'm a bit confused.......

:?: Kidskater, how on earth are you 13 turning 14 on July 9th if you were 12 on June 6th/06?

No disrespect intended, but you stated in a post on June 6th that you were 12. If I knew how to cut and paste that comment on here, I would.

Miss_Kate
07-06-2006, 01:04 AM
So now I am 12 and want to get back into skating again.

And that was posted by kidskater on 6/6/06.

Hmmmm, kidskater seems to be aging rather quickly. :roll:

BatikatII
07-06-2006, 02:25 AM
Ditto to what doubletoe said. Great news on the skates and a beautifully written post. Success on all counts! Well done kidskater and hope you have many happy years of skating. Let us know how the skates work out for you.

Skittl1321
07-06-2006, 05:47 AM
Glad you got your skates sorted out- I wish mine would get here.

flippet
07-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Given the discussion, I thought this article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060705/ap_on_re_us/simpl_wurdz;_ylt=ArCRAdqCKbMYUtkxaaZIpglH2ocA;_ylu =X3oDMTA4dW1uZXIwBHNlYwMyNzQ3) was appropriate. :lol:

sue123
07-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Given the discussion, I thought this article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060705/ap_on_re_us/simpl_wurdz;_ylt=ArCRAdqCKbMYUtkxaaZIpglH2ocA;_ylu =X3oDMTA4dW1uZXIwBHNlYwMyNzQ3) was appropriate. :lol:

Wow, that was hard to read. Although it reminds me of my physics professor. He used to rant and rave about spelling in English, and always came up with alternate spellings for words, something like ghit for fish, but the i was replaced with something else, although I forget what it was now. "gh" like in tough, "t" like in nation. He once got on this topic and was going on and on for about 45 minutes of our 1 hour lecture time.

flippet
07-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Wow, that was hard to read. Although it reminds me of my physics professor. He used to rant and rave about spelling in English, and always came up with alternate spellings for words, something like ghit for fish, but the i was replaced with something else, although I forget what it was now. "gh" like in tough, "t" like in nation. He once got on this topic and was going on and on for about 45 minutes of our 1 hour lecture time.

It's "ghoti". Here's (http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/ling006.html) an article that explains it. (Really kind of interesting--I love linguistics.)

crazi4sk-8-ting
07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
I guess i'm just saying this because I am a kid ,but that artical wasn't that bad you just have to use context clues.

dbny
07-11-2006, 09:57 PM
All I have to say is that I never make a mistrake! :lol: :lol: :lol:

kidskater101
07-13-2006, 01:47 PM
This is really my cousins account I have been skating since I was 7. I was the one who actually got her into skating. We signed up together and have been using the same account for at least one or two months now:?: She doesn't really use her account anymore her parents found out that she was on a site like my space and is not permited to go on the web untill she can be trusted.

I am starting to think that I should get my own account!:!: :!: