View Full Version : Ice Dancing ~ what am I supposed to look at???

TimDavidSkate
06-25-2006, 01:16 PM
I have decided to take on Ice Dancing... What I am suppose to be looking at? Everything seems to look like a blurr 8O I guess I'm just too overwhelmed by all the steps :halo:

lovepairs
06-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Wow, Tim, I thought you were going to take up pairs. With your abilities you would have been a great Pairsman...Oh, well...if you're wondering were to look, try looking at your partner. Good luck with your new endeavor!

Best,
Lovepairs

jazzpants
06-25-2006, 02:45 PM
What I am suppose to be looking at?How about a list of coaches for ice dancing??? :P :lol:

Seriously, with ice dancing, there are so many little "refinement stuff" that it's really best to spend some time with an experienced ice dancing coach that is willing to teach you all those little details.

A few things I know of to look at are correct edges, extensions at appropriate moments, how closely you follow the dance pattern, timing of the step to music and expression of the dance! (You ice dancers out there! Is there anything else I'm missing here?)

Congrats on your decision to go with that epiphany! It's a good choice to try out! Totally different experience... as I've been lead to seeing from my weekend ice dancing public session crew! ;)

Mrs Redboots
06-25-2006, 04:43 PM
I have decided to take on Ice Dancing... What I am suppose to be looking at? Everything seems to look like a blurr 8O I guess I'm just too overwhelmed by all the steps :halo:I second the suggestion to get a coach. And spend hours and hours practising your basic stroking, upright carriage, straight free leg, pointed toes, feet together on every step.... none of your free skater slopping about, please!

It's harder than it looks.... never mind remembering all the dances!

froggy
06-25-2006, 05:45 PM
I recall you once mentioning you skate at chelsea, my coach takes lesson with her coach at the rink. I personally think she is a very good ice dancer she is working on her international level dances. I'm sure you can ask her or her coach any questions youd like. shes usually there on mondays.

good luck!

TimDavidSkate
06-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess start to get crackin on the ice. This is a realistic chance I can go to US Nationals :lol: I'm excited

TimDavidSkate
06-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Since last week I have been searching for the perfect coach for dance and as well as a partner. It is so hard 8O I skated this morning from 5am to 6am. It was frustrating on just to work on edges by myself. Especially trying to figure out dance patterns. I want to start on the right track. Hopefully I will find somebody soon.

flo
06-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Enjoy! In my area there are a few group dance classes and also dance only sessions. It's a good way to meet other dancers and potential partners. Also, ask other dancers for recs on coaches.

phoenix
06-30-2006, 11:02 AM
You could also go to a test session & see whose skaters look good.

I'd worry more about a coach to begin with than a partner. It's much easier to learn with someone who already knows what they're doing, & you'll need to start out learning the dances on your own anyway. There are JILLIONS of female dancers out there, I doubt you'll have trouble getting a partner. Once you start lessons & testing / skating on dance sessions, you'll get to know everyone, & you'll get to see who looks good, who's improving, who's serious, etc.

TimDavidSkate
06-30-2006, 11:43 AM
1. Moira North - Ice Theatre of NY founder and has endless connections
2. Jonathan Magalnick - Ice Dance National competitor 10x - in NYack, NY
3. Samvel from Sky Rink - "former partner of T. Navka"
4. Monsey NY - coached National level Dancers - David Lipowitz & Leslie Soderberg
5. Judy Blumberg

8O hard to chose :frus:

icedancer2
06-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Well, this is a weighty list. It's possible that you may have to audition for some of these coaches and then they will let you know whether they want to take you!

Good luck. You will have fun with it.:)

phoenix
06-30-2006, 01:20 PM
I'd also recommend taking a trial lesson w/ a few before committing to one. There was a coach I worked w/ for awhile--he really knew his stuff & his skaters all look great--but I didn't enjoy working with him at all; just a personality clash thing.....Needless to say I don't work with him anymore.....

You'll also need a test partner separately if you end up w/ a male coach. Just another thing to consider.

kidskater101
06-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Good luck with that!!!
skating is VERY VERY VERY hard, hopefully you will find the right coach for you. try looking in some skating magizeenes and watch some skating channels. pick your #1 ice dancer and join there fan club (trust me)they would know a lot of answers!8-)

Good luck!!!!!
Don't Give up!
Kidskater101

slusher
07-01-2006, 09:45 AM
I have decided to take on Ice Dancing... What I am suppose to be looking at? Everything seems to look like a blurr 8O I guess I'm just too overwhelmed by all the steps :halo:

You're looking lovingly at your female partner and making her look like a million bucks. That's why the guys steps are easier
:twisted:

Alright, I'm joking, but that's mostly what I say to my male dance coach when I mess up. For a beginner, just don't look at your feet. Look forward and keep your chin up.

Where I skate, the international dancers do 45 minutes of skating together in the various holds doing just edges or progressives before they start in on their compulsories. If you can find someone, just another girl at the rink, ask to skate around in side by side hold (killian) and see if you can do left,right,left together at the same time. That's hard. I can't even do it with my husband, he's on a different rhythm so it might take a while to find someone that skates like you.