DBNY, Sk8pics, Skate@Delaware, and Isk8NYC

Invite you to a SkatingForums Meetup

Date
Friday, June 30, 2006

Time
4:40pm

Place
Newark, Delaware
The Pond Ice Arena (http://www.thepondicearena.com/directions.html)
Freestyle Session 4:40-5:30pm

Afterwards, eat at the
Home Grown Cafe (http://www.homegrowncafe.com/menu.html)

Anyone interested in joining us, just PM or show up!

mikawendy
06-24-2006, 06:23 PM
I might be able to make it! I'm off work this coming week, so I'll see if I can come... :D

Mrs Redboots
06-25-2006, 09:05 AM
I wish, I wish..... sadly, 3,000 miles or however far it is is a bit too far! Could you get Dottie or BlueIIIMoon to represent me?

jazzpants
06-25-2006, 02:59 PM
I wish, I wish..... sadly, 3,000 miles or however far it is is a bit too far! Could you get Dottie or BlueIIIMoon to represent me?Me too!!! :cry: I want to meet S@D, and I had such a good time with dbny, ISk8NYC, and sk8pics on my trip to NYC too!!! :D

lovepairs
06-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Oh, pooh, Pairsman2 and I would love to go, too, but we will be heading up to the Hackensack Adult Summer Camp that day. Can we all do it, again, sometime during the summer down in Newark?

Please :halo: Lovepairs

It would be anyone who skates at The Pond and U of D?

sk8pics
06-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Anyone who lives in the area or is willing to travel is welcome! We are ending up at the Pond just because I normally skate there on Fridays, and Isk8NYC and DBNY are in the area for another reason.

flo
06-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Mika, Let me know if you can go - we can pool!

Rob Dean
06-27-2006, 11:29 AM
I'd like to--main problem being that my son is scheduled to be on ice over at UD at that time, and I'm not sure how late he'll need to go. Perhaps I can drop by for the dinner...

Rob Dean

dbny
06-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I just sent a PM to Isk8NYC, Sk8pics and Skate@Delaware about all the rain the E coast is having, but this looks like a better place to raise the issue. Does anyone know of any potentially risky roads we should avoid on our drive down Thurs evening?

sk8pics
06-28-2006, 06:12 AM
I'll answer this here again in case anyone else wants to know. The flooding in Delaware is mostly south of Newark, in Sussex or Kent county. The roads where I live were mostly just wet this morning and there was even some sun peeking out. Well, once the sun came up that is! There are some creeks/rivers in the area that are close to flooding, but I think you will be fine on the major roads.

There are a lot of problems around Philadelphia, but if you are coming down the Jersey Turnpike you should be okay, I would think. (Actually it rained in our building at work last night, ugh.) Anyway, I'd recommend checking www.smartraveler.com before you leave.

dbny
06-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the reassuring info here and in PM's!

Isk8NYC
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I just sent a PM to Isk8NYC, Sk8pics and Skate@Delaware about all the rain the E coast is having, but this looks like a better place to raise the issue. Does anyone know of any potentially risky roads we should avoid on our drive down Thurs evening?What!?! You have a problem being stuck in a car with me for more than two hours? The nerve... :lol: (Just kidding)

I'm sure it'll be fine. (Famous last words) We'll take my Subaru -- it'll go through anything!

Skate@Delaware
06-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Reminds me of when we went up on Sunday to skate....we had my son with us and he didn't want to skate (let alone go). Every 5 minutes of the 1 hour ride...are we there yet? over and over again! He didn't bring his gameboy and I didn't bring my laptop so there were no in-car movies that day....:frus:

I am really excited about Friday!!! My kitchen pass has been extended to read, "For however long you need just be sure you call when you are on your way home so I don't worry" knowing that the beach traffic might pick up; since it is a holiday weekend.

dbny
06-28-2006, 12:25 PM
What!?! You have a problem being stuck in a car with me for more than two hours? The nerve... :lol: (Just kidding)

I'm sure it'll be fine. (Famous last words) We'll take my Subaru -- it'll go through anything!

Only if my feet are wet - it makes me very cranky :lol:. I was hoping we would take your car. My little red roller skate doesn't do well in wet weather.

QUESTION Re The POND:
What kind of temp should we dress for? At most of the rinks I go to, I need short sleeves and a light weight jacket at this time of year. Please LMK if I need to bundle up as for winter.

sk8pics
06-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Layers, layers, layers. The Pond can be quite cold, although lately I've been warm enough a couple of times to skate in a T-shirt. Usually I've got a fleece on over a t-shirt, though. The other night it was pretty cold, I thought. I guess it also depends on how hard you work.

flo
06-28-2006, 01:53 PM
DBNY, what type of rollerskate car? I had a red miata - didn't like the heavy rain and a sled in the snow.

dbny
06-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Mine is a Ford Focus. Not what I would have chosen given my druthers, but it was available when we needed it, and we didn't have to pay for it right away. I actually do like driving it, but not in wet weather. Some of them have anti-lock brakes, and the previous owner thought this one did, but it doesn't.

flo - are you and Mika coming? This is such a treat, to get to meet more SF members!

mikawendy
06-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Mine is a Ford Focus. Not what I would have chosen given my druthers, but it was available when we needed it, and we didn't have to pay for it right away. I actually do like driving it, but not in wet weather. Some of them have anti-lock brakes, and the previous owner thought this one did, but it doesn't.

flo - are you and Mika coming? This is such a treat, to get to meet more SF members!

Hi, dbny, I'm coming for sure and I'm 95% sure flo is, too (flo, I left you a mssg on your answering machine).

Can't wait to see/meet you all! I'm heading off to my regular rink in a little while for 3 hours of skating (practice, lesson/practice, edge class), so I'll probably be a little pooped tomorrow!

flo
06-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi, Got it!
I'll be there with both pairs of "new" skates. It will be the first time back on the ice since France! Should be interesting.

Skate@Delaware
06-29-2006, 06:11 PM
"Interesting" will by my word for it also! I've not skated on their freestyle sessions before so I'll be a "newbie" as far as that goes (I only go on the public sessions). And my legs are killing me from a new workout I've been doing....hopefully they won't hurt as much tomorrow. I'll warmup and stretch more anyway.

sk8pics
06-29-2006, 06:37 PM
I hope I won't be late because I have a lesson at 5! But I think I should make it in time.

There've been some ice dance teams there the last few days, but other than that, with the holiday weekend, I'm thinking it should be fairly quiet. I hope so, anyway!

Isk8NYC
07-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Here's a picture from the Staten Island meetup in early June 2006:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Isk8NYC/SFSI06-11-2006.jpg

L-R: Sk8pics, Jazzpants, DBNY, Isk8NYC

Isk8NYC
07-08-2006, 09:02 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Isk8NYC/SFDelawareMeetup6-30-2006a.jpg

L-R: Mikewendy, Sk8pics, Skate@Delaware, DBNY, Isk8NYC, Flo

sk8pics
07-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the pictures! They're great!

jazzpants
07-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Yup, yup! Love those group shots!!! :mrgreen:

Sk8pdx
07-09-2006, 02:48 PM
What a lovely bunch! I am so envious that I'm not independently wealthy and could just fly in my own private jet from the west coast to meet with you. From reading other posts it sounds like your forum meeting was delightful and fun! Thanks for the pix. It is neat to see faces with the names I read in posts. (Isk8NYC, I imagined you with darker, longer hair) :)

jazzpants
07-09-2006, 10:13 PM
What a lovely bunch! I am so envious that I'm not independently wealthy and could just fly in my own private jet from the west coast to meet with you.Me too!!! (Well, the independently wealthy and have my own private jet part...) And if I also have a nice spacious penthouse condo unit in a good part of Manhattan, I'll be all set!!!) :mrgreen:

I wish I could fly into NYC a lot more often!!! I love visiting there!!! :mrgreen: (I'm also West Coast! I'm in California!!!)

Sk8pdx
07-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Me too!!! (Well, the independently wealthy and have my own private jet part...) And if I also have a nice spacious penthouse condo unit in a good part of Manhattan, I'll be all set!!!) :mrgreen:

I wish I could fly into NYC a lot more often!!! I love visiting there!!! :mrgreen: (I'm also West Coast! I'm in California!!!)

...A penthouse large enough to invite all your Skatingforum friends for a huge forum gathering to stay a week or 2 or even a month...maybe even with a revolving door, come and go as you like. (it is not just enough to be independently wealthy but we need lots of vacation time to go with it) :) I'd be happy even to sleep on the couch.

I have never had the opportunity to visit NY yet. Hey Jazz, perhaps you could come along with me sometime and be my tour guide 8-)

flo
07-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Great job! Hope we can do it again sometime!

lovepairs
07-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes, it looked like a lot of fun! Please let us know if and when you meet, again--we would love to join you! :P

Lovepairs and Pairsman2

Isk8NYC
07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Isk8NYC, I imagined you with darker, longer hairIt is pretty long, past my shoulders, but I always wear a ponytail or braid when I skate. I was a blonde as a child, but my hair is now a mousy brown. :cry: I don't want to dye it because I know I'd never keep up with the touchups.

BTW, you can't see it in the pictures, but Flo has stunning hazel eyes.

We had a great time. Food was great, company was great, ice was great. Even though I was almost wiped out by a pairs team while I was leaving the ice! LOL

We should do some more meetups at rinks. It's fun and informal.

flo
07-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks!
You know how those pairs can be!;) Really - the call was already made to leave the ice - they should have been looking out for you!

Skate@Delaware
07-10-2006, 10:55 AM
I also had a WONDERFUL time, the everyone was AWESOME and the food was excellent!!!

I really need to get out more!!! I'm all for venturing out of my little area of the world now and again to meet up with others!

Terry

flo
07-10-2006, 11:37 AM
If there's enough of us wanting to meet up in Baltimore I'll rent private ice.

TimDavidSkate
07-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Will there be a NYC meetup sometime in the future? :D

lovepairs
07-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Why not do the NYC meet up at that new rink in Brooklyn: Aviator Sports Complex? Even though I'm from Philly and my partner from Baltimore, can we come to the NYC one, too? We'd drive up just to meet the NYC skaters!

Lovepairs

Isk8NYC
07-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Flo and Mikawendy came to the Delaware meetup, even though they're from Maryland, so all are welcome!

Great suggestion, LovePairs. I had met the Aviator Sports (Http:\\www.aviatorsports.com) Operations and Facilities manager at a coaches' conference last month. The estimated opening date of the rinks was September/October 2006. (Their other facilities are open now and they have summer camps running for them.) I haven't heard anything about the rinks opening early.

If you're willing to wait that long, that'd be a nice place to visit.
Otherwise, you could pick another rink. It's not so much the destination (although location counts, as you know) as it is the people that make the meetup work.

What about the Woodbridge Community Center (http://wcc.twp.woodbridge.nj.us/html/free_style.shtml)? It's convenient and not far off the Parkway/Turnpike.

jazzpants
07-10-2006, 05:15 PM
I am coming back to NYC to visit the in-laws again around Christmas time, if you guys wanna do a get-together then... :P

I'm not sure I can swing it over to Maryland though. I have enough trouble as is trying to convincing hubby to go to Hackensack, NJ from NYC...even to skate with who I think is probably one of the best Moves coach anywhere!!! :roll: (Right, Frank and icecatepairs? ;) ) Hubby has already requested that I limit my lessons to only my Chelsea Piers coach, b/c of "the hassles to get to Hackensack." But I did negotiate ONE DAY with Moves Guru this coming Christmas...and offered to take him (hubby) to "White Manna" burgers as incentives to go there! ;) :yum: :bow:

Terri C
07-10-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure I can swing it over to Maryland though.

Not if Debbie S and I have anything to do with it!!

BTW, sk8pdx is planning a trip to my neck of the woods in September (Virginia Beach/Norfolk/ Williamsburg area). Maybe folks in DC or Baltimore would want to plan a road trip??

renatele
07-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Hubby has already requested that I limit my lessons to only my Chelsea Piers coach, b/c of "the hassles to get to Hackensack."

Take PATH to Jersey City, and if I'm free, I'll drive you to Ice House and back to Jersey City ;)

jazzpants
07-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Take PATH to Jersey City, and if I'm free, I'll drive you to Ice House and back to Jersey City ;)Hmmmm....we have to talk again when we're closer to the date... ;) (and if I could get more time off, I MIGHT try and take a lesson with YOUR coach too!!!) :twisted: (Hey! I've been trying out everyone else's coach... so why not???) :P :lol: :halo:

Not if Debbie S and I have anything to do with it!!You'll have to get thru to hubby and my MIL first!!! :twisted: 8O

renatele
07-10-2006, 07:08 PM
(and if I could get more time off, I MIGHT try and take a lesson with YOUR coach too!!!) :twisted: (Hey! I've been trying out everyone else's coach... so why not???) :P :lol: :halo:

Assuming he doesn't fly off to another side of the world for another 5 months or so :roll:

But seriously - a lot of kiddies take jumps lessons with him because he uses "fishing pole" harness. Me? That thing is weird ;)

jazzpants
07-10-2006, 08:03 PM
But seriously - a lot of kiddies take jumps lessons with him because he uses "fishing pole" harness. Me? That thing is weird ;)No way in HELL he's gonna "go fishin'" with me! I'm too big!!! LOL!!! :lol: :P

Don't worry! I actually have less time to go skate in terms of time and travel this Christmas. I have to keep in mind that I am not really there in NYC to skate. I'm there to visit the in-laws!!! ;)

The other issue is that this time around we're staying just a little over a week, as compared with last Christmas. This year we just don't have the vacation time saved up to go... we used it up for this summer's NYC trip!!! :twisted: :P

renatele
07-10-2006, 08:32 PM
No way in HELL he's gonna "go fishin'" with me! I'm too big!!! LOL!!! :lol: :P

... I said the same thing (and I'm 5'10"). He did put me in it once... I was too weirded out due to my size ;) oh well, at least he's an inch or two taller than I am, or it'd have been pure comedy (which it was, anyway)

Sk8pdx
07-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Not if Debbie S and I have anything to do with it!!

BTW, sk8pdx is planning a trip to my neck of the woods in September (Virginia Beach/Norfolk/ Williamsburg area). Maybe folks in DC or Baltimore would want to plan a road trip??

Yeah, maybe I will have my loop and flip by then. ....:?? I am leaving my sit spin at home though. :twisted:

Skate@Delaware
07-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Yeah, maybe I will have my loop and flip by then. ....:?? I am leaving my sit spin at home though. :twisted:
Road trip sounds like fun!!!!! I have some vacation time left....but no sit spin so I have none to leave at home!

Still working on that darned loop....:frus:

FrankR
07-11-2006, 07:26 AM
... I said the same thing (and I'm 5'10"). He did put me in it once... I was too weirded out due to my size ;) oh well, at least he's an inch or two taller than I am, or it'd have been pure comedy (which it was, anyway)

I've been taking lessons in the harness lately. If Jonathon can lug me around he shouldn't have any problems with you or jazzpants. lol :lol: Although I'm relatively thin for my height (I'm about 5'9" or 5'10" myself) I still weigh about 160lbs. That's not exactly petite for the harness either. :)

TimDavidSkate
07-11-2006, 07:49 AM
The Harness never really helped me with my jumps, it just messed up my timing. I feel like Im in slow motion when I get up in the air.

lovepairs
07-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Tim,

Interesting you say that: I've been trying to learn an axel in a harness for a little over a year, and could never land even just one. I have a nice off-ice axel, which took me a year to get. So, I finally decided to drop the harness, and I have a coach who is trying to teach me the axel without the harness, and I seem to be making more progress??? I thought the harness was suppossed to help, but it seems that there's such a big difference from being in the harness to not being in the harness that I've decided not to complicate it with the additional step of being in the harness. Maybe the harness is better for kids?

garyc254
07-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Good lookin' crew!!! :)

Sounds like you all had a great time.

`

flo
07-11-2006, 09:28 AM
The fishing pole harness is good if you almost have the jump. It keeps you in the air for a tiny bit longer. It's also good in that your coach can skate with you and you can enter the jump in your pattern as you are not confined to being under the harness line.

renatele
07-11-2006, 10:30 AM
I've been taking lessons in the harness lately. If Jonathon can lug me around he shouldn't have any problems with you or jazzpants. lol :lol: Although I'm relatively thin for my height (I'm about 5'9" or 5'10" myself) I still weigh about 160lbs. That's not exactly petite for the harness either. :)

I'm not exactly smaller than you, you know ;)

(oh, so I guess you are the one to blame that I can't have my lesson on adult-only FS? :frus: :twisted: :lol: j/k . I HATE summer skating, though...)

renatele
07-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Lovepairs, did you work on it in regular or fishing-pole harness? I can see where regular harness would mess you up, but it should be much less so with the fishing-pole one.

I had just one lesson in the harness so I didn't get enough time to get over the weirdness of the situation, but for me, the purpose of the harness would be to just reduce my fear, and let me *feel* the jump instead of being scared to death and stiffening up. The time that I was in the harness, I made it very clear that I don't want any help in terms of getting up in the air, just some assistance in breaking the fall if I happen to go down.

Skate@Delaware
07-11-2006, 11:36 AM
My previous coach used the harness but would pull really hard so you were yanked by the harness; I didn't like that at all. And we only did them off-ice. My current coach rarely uses the harness, she believes that it teaches bad habits and co-dependence (which I can understand). I wouldn't mind a few sessions in it though, for that darned flip.

Sk8pdx
07-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Road trip sounds like fun!!!!! I have some vacation time left....but no sit spin so I have none to leave at home!

Still working on that darned loop....:frus:

I have a "Piece of sit" spin. That is why it is staying at home.:P