View Full Version : Muscles and Clothing

AndreaUK
06-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi

Well I dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I started skating 7 weeks ago and I have noticed how much my leg muscles have started to tone and pump up.
The bad thing about it is, I can no longer zip up my New Rock Boots becuase the calf muscle has become so pronounced. Ah damn I love those boots and it looks like theyre off the agenda :(

Anyone else found that their clothing just ceases to fit them since starting skating?

I know its a wierd post :D

Andrea xx

TashaKat
06-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Oh yes ... skater's calves! I've still got them and I've not skated 'properly' for yonks! I've also got skater's thighs which means that I can't get any trousers or jeans to fit either.

The calves are the worst though because my main hobby at the mo is dressage and I can't get any long boots, even the expensive ones, to fit. When I do get Saff to the point where we can compete I'm going to have to have custom made ones 8O This syndrome isn't helped by my size 4 feet! Manufacturers think that you must be about 10 with twiglet legs if you have size 4 feet :twisted:

Clarice
06-24-2006, 02:05 PM
I had this problem when I was doing marching band in college, too. Frye or other tall boots were in fashion, and I had to choose my styles to accommodate my calves. Since I've started skating, I've had no trouble with my cowboy boots so far, though! :)

lovepairs
06-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Skaters' have the nicest butts in the business...so, who cares if the clothes don't fit anymore! I just live in Spandex, so it's not a problem! :P

Skate@Delaware
06-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Thank goodness for stretch jeans!!! And spandex!!!

I also have larger calves (they have always been big) so I have never been able to wear the capri-style of pants.

lovepairs
06-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread for a second:

SkateDelaware,

By anychance do you work at U of D, or know any skaters who do? There is a position that just opened up for me, and I'd like to apply. However, the real deal breaker will be if I can get some free ice. Do they have like a "faculty" skate time, or some ice in the middle of the afternoon for staff?

Thanks,
lovepairs

Skate@Delaware
06-24-2006, 03:37 PM
I wish I could help, but I don't work there or know anyone who does. I only went skating there once and didn't like it. I skate at The Pond during the summer. I'm not sure about their ice times either. Sorry! I wish you luck in getting the job!

ps-I'm not sure if you know, but The Pond is only a few miles away (less than 3 I believe) and they have tons of ice times throughout the day as well as public session that is only $6 and not usually crowded.

lovepairs
06-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks SkateDelaware,

Pairsman2 and I currently skate at The Pond once a week. Our favorite place to skate, by far. Thanks! I guess I'll just have to ask if this is included in the bennies if I get the interview. I'm sure they'll look at me as if I have a third eye! We should have a little smily face with a third eye!

sexyskates
06-24-2006, 04:48 PM
I have always had more developed calves and had trouble with some boots and capris. After I started skating a lot and going to the gym, the thigh muscles just above my knee became more developed also, and my pants get tight right there. I had to buy other pants with more room in the legs! Yes, I LOVE stretch jeans!

Rusty Blades
06-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Yup. All that happened in my teens and never went away - I call them "skater's legs" or "thighs that could crush a bus" - LOL!! After being away from skating for 36 years, I started again in January. When I saw a personal trainer a couple of months ago I couldn't hep but chuckle at the way she kept marvelling over my calf and thigh development. :roll:

Paulie86
06-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Skaters' have the nicest butts in the business...so, who cares if the clothes don't fit anymore! I just live in Spandex, so it's not a problem! :P

That is deffinately discovered since coming back to slating in Feb. My butt got so much bigger and toned! I love it!. And my thighs and calves have become so much more toned aswell!

Sk8pdx
06-24-2006, 11:02 PM

Yeah, I believe I read in the thread about the most uncomfortable place for a bruise that you would have made J-Lo proud!. :P I totally agree with your statement except in the context of my sit spin. A little less J-lo would be nice. he he he...

figur8asandwich
06-25-2006, 01:53 AM
J-lo bums are great, but skater-thighs are so annoying. It makes things like mini-skirts and skinny jeans a no-no, unless you don't mind looking like a muscle-woman who decided to concentrate all of her mass into that 18inch area between pelvic bone and knee cap. anyone have training ideas to maximize leg strength and yet minimize leg 'bulge'?

TashaKat
06-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Stretches, stretches and more stretches. Doesn't give you twig legs but helps a bit with the streamlining :)

I call them "skater's legs" or "thighs that could crush a bus"

http://www.enlightenedequitation.com/members/forums/html/emoticons/laugh.gifhttp://www.enlightenedequitation.com/members/forums/html/emoticons/laugh.gifhttp://www.enlightenedequitation.com/members/forums/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

SkatingOnClouds
06-25-2006, 03:36 AM
I actually have the opposite experience because I was very fat when I started skating again.

I have been literally skating my butt off. I have just loved watching my body shape change ( I get even more exercise running away from my husband who also likes the changes).

Aggravating that a 4 week layoff due to injury has seen the muscles already becomming less noticeable.

Celebrate your body just as it is. Enjoy feeling strong and powerful. To heck with fashion.

Skate@Delaware
06-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Yeah, what she (SkatingOnClouds) said!!! I have lost weight, and my thigh went from 25 to 21" but they are muscular and have some definition now. My calves have always been large, though.

But, since I don't wear skinny jeans, not worried too much about it. I like stretch jeans and now I'm trying to find a brand that's stretch and has a waistband that doesn't sit AT the waist but a little bit lower, but not so low I'm on underwear alert...can't do that look, please I'm 44!8O

sk8_4fun
06-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Yeah, what she (SkatingOnClouds) said!!! I have lost weight, and my thigh went from 25 to 21" but they are muscular and have some definition now. My calves have always been large, though.

But, since I don't wear skinny jeans, not worried too much about it. I like stretch jeans and now I'm trying to find a brand that's stretch and has a waistband that doesn't sit AT the waist but a little bit lower, but not so low I'm on underwear alert...can't do that look, please I'm 44!8O

lol me too!!! I for one would like find some jeans with at least some fabric at the front - that used to be the bit thats holds me in, rather than emphasising my 'weaker' areas!!!!:lol:

sue123
06-25-2006, 10:09 AM
I love what skating has done for my butt. Before, I had a flat board for a behind, but now it looks like a normal butt and has a shape. So excited. But the thighs make finding jeans a hard thing. ALthough I did find a great pair of jeans when I was in Europe recently, and only 20 euro. You have no idea how excited I was.

Evelina
06-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Yes I have also the same problem. Also as far as trousers go, if they fit in the legs they tend to be much too big in the waist...

looplover
06-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Am I the only one with skater's cankles?

8O

What about "permanent indentation/scar on lower leg from top of ill fitting skate boot that looks like a tattoo and is not at all flattering since that part of my leg needs no further attention and is too large"

:??

sue123
06-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one with skater's cankles?

8O

What about "permanent indentation/scar on lower leg from top of ill fitting skate boot that looks like a tattoo and is not at all flattering since that part of my leg needs no further attention and is too large"

:??

Don't have cankles, or at least I dont think I do. But I do have the scar on my lower leg. In fact, I have several. All my friends know about it, so the first time they saw my legs, I told them, but they're used to it. But I just came back from a trip with 42 other people who had never seen my legs. The first time I wore shorts (which I think was day 2), everybody was coming up to me asking where I got so many scars from. I got tired of telling everyone, so that day, we had to do this introduction thing. When I went up, I told everyone my name, and that the scars on my ankles are not any form of self mutilation, I jsut skate a lot, and that's what happens. I figured it was easier to just tell everyone right then and there then constantly tell everyone during the trip. Honestly, you'd think some people would have a bit more restraint than ask where my scars came from.

newskaker5
06-25-2006, 07:16 PM
haha I feel ur pain - try being a gymnast - even worse thigh/calf muscles :( I once bought wide-legged knee high boots but then just looked more stupid since they fit teh calfs and poped out like 3 inches away from my knobby knees. And any pants that fit my calfs/thighs are about 3 sizes too big in the waist. Thank goodnes for flared-leg jeans - they actually fit! I prefer skirts because at least they fit my waist without needing a belt to stay up and I dont have to worry about it being tight in my calves and thighs.

At least skating doesnt bulk up your arms and shoulders. haha :)

jshbo724
06-25-2006, 09:16 PM
haha I feel ur pain - try being a gymnast - even worse thigh/calf muscles :( I once bought wide-legged knee high boots but then just looked more stupid since they fit teh calfs and poped out like 3 inches away from my knobby knees. And any pants that fit my calfs/thighs are about 3 sizes too big in the waist. Thank goodnes for flared-leg jeans - they actually fit! I prefer skirts because at least they fit my waist without needing a belt to stay up and I dont have to worry about it being tight in my calves and thighs.

At least skating doesnt bulk up your arms and shoulders. haha :)

OMG I can COMPLETELY relate to you!!! I did gymnastics for a while, and my god I can NEVER find a pair of jeans that fit me. There's one brand that USUALLY fits me, but they of course have to be stretch jeans. Gymnast thighs are the worst of them all!! Pants shopping is my worst enemy, and shoe shopping has now ranked up there with pants shopping, LOL. Gosh dang bunions from badly fit skates. And I also have the lower leg scars too, haha. The only thing I like shopping for is shirts!! 8-) But hey, I don't wanna complain too much, cause doing gymnastics helped my skating TREMENDOUSLY. :D

tidesong
06-25-2006, 09:53 PM
This is so crazy I was just lamenting that I have to buy pants three to four sizes bigger so that they get past my thighs... and then I have to sew the waist in or just keep pulling them up continuosly... unless I want to wear them like hipsters (but its not very normal to show your midriff in the office)

I dont usually wear long boots being in a tropical climate and all, so not much calve problems.

Mrs Redboots
06-26-2006, 04:35 AM
This is so crazy I was just lamenting that I have to buy pants three to four sizes bigger so that they get past my thighs... and then I have to sew the waist in or just keep pulling them up continuosly... unless I want to wear them like hipsters (but its not very normal to show your midriff in the office)When hipsters were first fashionable, in the 1960s, they made shirts and T-shirts long enough so that your middle didn't show.

I do wish they made T-shirts a decent length - anything pretty usually terminates just under my boobs, and, trust me, my midriff is not a pretty sight. You don't want to see middle-aged women getting their tummy-buttons out!

Rusty Blades
06-26-2006, 08:31 AM
You don't want to see middle-aged women getting their tummy-buttons out!

Thanks Boots! I needed a good laugh on a Monday morning :mrgreen:

NCSkater02
06-27-2006, 04:14 PM
I like stretch jeans and now I'm trying to find a brand that's stretch and has a waistband that doesn't sit AT the waist but a little bit lower, but not so low I'm on underwear alert...can't do that look, please I'm 44!8O

Being 43, I don't care much my my undies showing either. I finally broke down and tried low-rise bikinis from Victoria's Secret. I only wear them under jeans or snug shorts. They don't show, but if my pants are even the least bit loose, they slide down and I spend all my time pulling them up!

I can't wear straight legged jeans either, and since I still have a *thick* midsection, I get low rise jeans. They fit ok, feel great (don't cut me in half) but definately emphasize my gut. Oh well, I dress for comfort, not style. Maybe in another few years I'll lose the gut too.:roll:

Skate@Delaware
06-27-2006, 05:13 PM
I can't wear straight legged jeans either, and since I still have a *thick* midsection, I get low rise jeans. They fit ok, feel great (don't cut me in half) but definately emphasize my gut. Oh well, I dress for comfort, not style. Maybe in another few years I'll lose the gut too.:roll:
I have the "mom pot" and although it's gone down quite a bit, it's still there.....I don't really care for how I look in low-rise jeans either. I wouldn't mind something between a low-rise and waist height. Remember the real hiphuggers from way back? The ones that actually sat on the hips? Those might be nice, or just something that sat just below the waist.

Or maybe I'll just wear my skating pants everywhere, once it's cool enough :frus:

flippet
06-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I have the "mom pot" and although it's gone down quite a bit, it's still there.....I don't really care for how I look in low-rise jeans either. I wouldn't mind something between a low-rise and waist height. Remember the real hiphuggers from way back? The ones that actually sat on the hips? Those might be nice, or just something that sat just below the waist.

My favorite jeans (that I don't fit into since having kids, waaaah! :cry: ) are Eddie Bauer 'low rise' jeans. (I think that's what they called them...it's been a few years.) Anyway, they were hardly the 'low rise' that you see the teens wearing, but they did sit just an inch or so below the natural waist---very nice for a girl like me, whose waist can be found tucked underneath her sagging boobs! :lol: I hope they still make them....I haven't bought jeans in a few years---I keep swearing that I don't need to....that I WILL lose the baby weight, and get back into my perfectly good jeans from before kids.

Surprisingly, I never developed skater's butt, thighs, or calves when I skated. My body didn't seem to change much either direction, to tell you the truth.

doubletoe
06-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Oooh, my two favorite obsessions in one thread: Skating and jeans!! :D

Yes, due to the benefits of "skater's butt" it's too hard not to buy every pair of stretch jeans I try on, so now I have waaaay too many jeans. But at least I save money by not buying any sandals, since I also have skater's toes. Yuck.

For those whose skater's thighs are too big for most stretch jeans, try the "trouser cut" jeans made by most of the premium denim brands like Seven, Citizens, Paige, etc. And this is timely, I just got a coupon code for a rare online sale by the best source of premium jeans on the net: RevolveClothing.com (no, I don't get commission, LOL!). I have ordered from them many times and shipping and returns are free, so there's no risk (Actually, I just ordered 2 pairs of the same jeans in two different sizes so I can return the one that doesn't fit).

Coupon code: summerloving (enter this at checkout)
This coupon will give you 30% off of all items that are already on sale, which are already about 50% off.

LilJen
06-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Okay, folks, I'll go you one better. Take ten years of competitive Alpine skiing, add a side of gymnastics plus a side of ballet (several years each), plus I'm shortsh and short-waisted and presto! nothing fits! Most jeans look like they go up to my armpits. And I have a waist, too, which means that jeans that fit my thighs and butt are huge in the front. And miles too long.

I doubt that skating will do/has done much to my figure, such as it is--my sisters and I all have had thunder thighs forever from our skiing days. I shudder at the idea of putting on a skating dress. I mean, the figure is fine even with the thunder thighs and post-pregnancy, but next to a bunch of teenagers, I would look positively bovine. Pants for me, thank you very much.

Rusty Blades
06-29-2006, 01:55 PM
next to a bunch of teenagers, I would look positively bovine.

Tahell with the teenie-boppers - next fall I am switching to a DRESS and I don't care if I look like a giant grape popcicle! (My dress is purple) 8O If any of those little squirts say anything, I will FALL ON THEM - LOL!!!

mikawendy
06-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Okay, folks, I'll go you one better. Take ten years of competitive Alpine skiing, add a side of gymnastics plus a side of ballet (several years each), plus I'm shortsh and short-waisted and presto! nothing fits! Most jeans look like they go up to my armpits. And I have a waist, too, which means that jeans that fit my thighs and butt are huge in the front. And miles too long.

I doubt that skating will do/has done much to my figure, such as it is--my sisters and I all have had thunder thighs forever from our skiing days. I shudder at the idea of putting on a skating dress. I mean, the figure is fine even with the thunder thighs and post-pregnancy, but next to a bunch of teenagers, I would look positively bovine. Pants for me, thank you very much.

If you ever do decide to wear a skating dress or skirt, you might want one that is on the short side rather than long. I also had an athletic childhood (track & field, cross country, lotsa ballet & modern dance) and the women in my family tend toward the Mary Lou Retton build anyhow. I've discovered that the shorter skirts look much better on me than the longer ice-dance length skirts, and ones that are velvet or have a square cut to them also tend to be less flattering. The longer skirts just make me look stumpier and shorter than I really am.

vesperholly
06-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Yep, I've got that. :P Not too noticeable, just a light line paler than my skin.

LilJen
06-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Tahell with the teenie-boppers - next fall I am switching to a DRESS and I don't care if I look like a giant grape popcicle! (My dress is purple) If any of those little squirts say anything, I will FALL ON THEM - LOL!!!

Good for you, Rusty Blades!! My concern isn't even so much with the size/figure comparison but that I am just not worthy of a pretty skating dress at this point! I gotta have at least *one* single jump under my belt. . . figure it'll be a reward for getting that far. :lol:

NCSkater02
06-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Good for you, Rusty Blades!! My concern isn't even so much with the size/figure comparison but that I am just not worthy of a pretty skating dress at this point! I gotta have at least *one* single jump under my belt. . . figure it'll be a reward for getting that far. :lol:

If I waited for that, I'd never get there. Although I guess my slightly cheated toe loop counts.

I started wearing dresses after about a year of skating. The first time I saw myself in a full-length mirror in one, I didn't recognize myself. Where did those muscular legs come from? They've just gotten bigger since.:roll:

NCSkater02
06-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't really care for how I look in low-rise jeans either. I wouldn't mind something between a low-rise and waist height.

The ones I got (either Gap or Old Navy--can't remember which right off the top of my head) sit just below the waist. Not real low, just enough to be comfortable. Kind of just over the top of the hip bones.

Rusty Blades
06-30-2006, 04:26 PM
If I waited for that, I'd never get there.

I am with you NCSkater! I figure since I don't trip over my toe picks (often) anymore I can call myself a skater and wear a skating dress :mrgreen:

SkatingOnClouds
07-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Tahell with the teenie-boppers - next fall I am switching to a DRESS and I don't care if I look like a giant grape popcicle! (My dress is purple) 8O If any of those little squirts say anything, I will FALL ON THEM - LOL!!!

I'm with you Rusty!!!

Skate@Delaware
07-01-2006, 06:04 AM
I remember the first time I EVER wore a skirt to club ice; everyone was asking me, "Why are you wearing that?" 8O

Honestly, I was getting used to wearing a skirt for the upcoming ice show.

I wear skirts more often now, especially when we are ice dancing! I have found that my legs don't really get that cold (mostly my upper body/arms).

Plus, I've paid my dues!!!!

sexyskates
07-01-2006, 11:15 AM
I started skating in wrap skirts over leotards and then moved up to dresses. Even at the beginning, I skated better in a skirt rather than pants, because I felt I should "skate up" to that look. I still find that I'm kind of sloppy in pants, and skate with more conscious grace in a dress. Wear the dress even if you don't have a great jump!

Skate@Delaware
07-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Every time I "dress up" for ice dance class....I can't help but think about that song....."I feel pretty, oh so pretty" from West Side Story....and maybe it does make me skate better because I do feel pretty!

sk8_4fun
07-01-2006, 03:10 PM

lol:bow: :D good for you RB! this thread is the funniest thing I've read all week!

dreambig
07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
i think thats wierd because look at sasha cohen and kimmie meisnner....i have really skinny legs and they skate more than we do.

tidesong
07-04-2006, 01:12 AM
@mikawendy : I totally agree! I think that short skating skirts actually flatter those legs much better than one thats the normal "mini skirt" length. Same for short shorts... they work so much better, I have to go either really short or really long aka pants to draw attention away from the thighs.

I think this is obvious on how much better Irina looked in the olympic long program dress with shorter skirt than past years.