View Full Version : Bronze Moves Test.....

Hannahclear
06-23-2006, 10:58 AM
I passed!

And it was a relatively high pass. I only received one mark of 2.5 from one judge. The rest were all above the passing average. Majority of 2.7s, but some 2.8s and 2.6s thrown in for good measure. Not a single mark below 2.5!

It was helpful that the panel took a short break between the group before mine, because we got a 10 minute warm up. I warmed up with skaters testing pre juv moves. And I went last. I ended up going through every move during the warm up and then taking my skates off while the first two went (I get terrible pins and needles when nervous).

I skated about as well as I can, given the nerve level, and I held it together pretty well. During the first move, my underpush wasn't great and I could have been on a deeper edge, but it was ok.

The backward perimeter was better, but I had some toepick noise after doing the crossovers around the end. Only on the first stroke though. :o

Power 3s aren't a real strong move for me, so I was thrilled at how they turned out. My axis was steady and I didn't miss any steps. They definitely aren't full of "attack" but I knew that already. My FS coach says they are like figures almost, but that how my moves coach taught them to me and it worked so whatever!

I usually don't have trouble with the crossovers to back edges and this went smoothly. I got my nicest comments on that,about my flow, edges, power and line.

Gawd, after the first side of the 5 step, I was like "am I done now" and soooo wanted to stop. I didn't obviously. For me, they were decent. Mohawks a bit choppy, the 4th step a bit weak but they were ok. Probably the weakest overall.

I didn't have to reskate anything, so that was good because I wanted off after the last move. :P

One thing that helped me was stopping to get words of encouragement from coach between moves and take a sip of my water. Also, I made myself stand there and take at least two or three deep breaths before beginning. Finally, I smiled.....intermittently.

So yeah, I figure I should budget at least two years for silver, because I have sooo much to learn and I know very little of the test. 8O But for now, my next task is bronze free.

Skittl1321
06-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Congratulations!!!!

Testing sure does seem nerve racking...

Debbie S
06-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Congratulations!

jazzpants
06-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Congratulations, Hannahclear!!! Sooooo jealous!!! :D

Your comments with Bronze moves are a LOT like mine!!! Scary similar!!! 8O (But since you passed, let's hope the same applies to me!!!) :twisted: :lol:

Now to *get on* a test session... :roll:

Skate@Delaware
06-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Congratulations! That is wonderful news!

flo
06-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Good job!!!

icedancer2
06-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Congratulations!!! Soooooo jealous!!

Power 3s aren't a real strong move for me, so I was thrilled at how they turned out. My axis was steady and I didn't miss any steps. They definitely aren't full of "attack" but I knew that already. My FS coach says they are like figures almost, but that how my moves coach taught them to me and it worked so whatever!

I'm glad to hear this is how you did them -- I can't do this move with any Power but if I do it like a figure it is fine... I wish I could have YOUR judges!!!

Debbie S
06-23-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm glad to hear this is how you did them -- I can't do this move with any Power but if I do it like a figure it is fine... Well, be careful with that assumption. Only Hannahclear (and her judges and her coach) knows what her power 3's looked like, and based on her posts about what she's working on and how long she's been skating (and getting marked 2 tenths above the passing average on most of the moves - were Power 3's one them?), I'd say she's selling herself a bit short. ;) Although "power" was changed to "continuous flow and strength", most judges basically use the same standard that they use to judge the kids (and the move is called Power 3's, after all). If you are slow and do not generate power, speed, flow, etc, you will almost definitely receive a deduction and comments - I did at one of the test sessions I did (see my siggy). It's possible that the judges in your area might be more forgiving of an adult skater and really not expect the level of power they are used to seeing in this move (and I've seen that happen), but that's a big chance to take. You're much better off improving the power in this move to be at the level of the standard track, so you can pass the move w/o any worries. :)

Mrs Redboots
06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, HANNAH!

renatele
06-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Yayyy! GREAT job!

Tessa
06-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Congrats! Way to go!

dbny
06-23-2006, 03:05 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

mikawendy
06-23-2006, 03:52 PM
YAY, HOORAY, CONGRATULATIONS!

Sounds like you passed with flying colors by the sounds of your marks! That's really great!

Isn't it interesting how there's part of the rink where it's really hard to be seen by the judges (the far end of the rink on the same side as the judges). I hadn't realized this until I came around the bend after the first end pattern in one of the moves and was thinking, hey, where are the judges?

Sk8pdx
06-23-2006, 10:22 PM
:bow: Congratulations Hannahclear!!

indulge in chocolate, and drink champagne! you deserve it!

doubletoe
06-24-2006, 01:07 AM
YAY!!!! Congratulations!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Now sprinkle some of that bronze moves dust around for those who need a blessing. . . and you know who you are. . . ;)

phoenix
06-24-2006, 05:24 AM
Congrats!! Always so satisfying to be marked above what's necessary!! (doesn't happen often, for me anyway.)

Thin-Ice
06-26-2006, 03:25 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let us know which elements received which marks.. so we can coordinate them with your comments on how you felt you did.

Good luck with Bronze FS! And we should be seeing you at 2007 AN!

jazzpants
06-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Since quite a few of us are still working on Bronze Moves Test... I'm gonna hijack Hannahclear's old thread! (Hope you don't mind, Hannahclear!)

Okay, anyone has any tips for having the stamina to get thru the test? I found this morning that I essentially had NO energy after the second or third move! By the time I got to the 5 step mohawks, all I wanted to do then was just to crawl in this little corner and COLLAPSE!!!

Yes, Thin-Ice! I have been doing double runthrus in practice!!! But it's gonna take quite a while before I can build up to even doing one set w/o feeling like collapsing!!! I'm having trouble with just getting thru singles and by the time I get to the second on the two runthru, I'm ready to drop!!! 8O

What seems to help some... BEND KNEES!!! Not in terms of getting more stamina, but in terms of not having to work so hard on pushing on the edges but still be able to move thru the patterns very quickly.

Okay, it's possible also that I'm burning the candles at both ends b/c of my job too as of late! I suspect other things too, but ummm... I don't want to do a TMI... :P

Other notes: As you have seen in the lesson/practice thread, secondary coach play "nit-picky judge" today... and it wasn't too bad this time around! Though obviously I still have a lot to work on to make this move "perfect." As I was going thru the moves today, I noticed that my notes got ummm... more critical as I went down further thru the test. I knew then that I better build up the stamina to take the test. The moves itself is pretty good, but I want "extra insurance" for this round on testing. :twisted:

lovepairs
06-28-2006, 05:02 PM
A BIG CONGRATS TO YOU! WAY TO GO GIRLFRIEND!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P

jenlyon60
06-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Here is an off-ice exercise suggestion.

Do short intervals and give yourself only about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes of recovery time. For example....

1 minute light weight lifting (dumbbell chest press for example), then a 5-10 second break, followed by

1 minute cardio (walking on treadmill, elliptical trainer, stairmaster, etc), then a 5-10 second break, followed by

1 minute of a different type of light weight training or core training (abs), then 5-10 second break, followed by

1 minute cardio.

After you've done 3 non-cardio/cardio combinations back to back, take a 60-90 second break, then start over again.

For example:

-- 1 minute treadmill at 9% grade, medium speed, followed by
-- 1 minute "head-bangers" triceps curls, followed by
-- 1 minute stationary bike at 185 watts, followed by
-- 1 minute press-up (like a bridge, but using forearms instead of palms; hold for 20 seconds, then 10 second break, hold for 20 seconds, then 10 second break, hold for 20 seconds), followed by
-- 1 minute step-ups on a 4-6 inch block, followed by
-- 1 minute lat pull-downs, followed by
-- 1 minute stairmaster, followed by
-- 1 minute medicine ball abs curl-ups

now, 1 1/2 minute break. Then repeat the whole series. then another 1 1/2 minute break, and a 3rd repeat of the whole series.

You may well be exhausted at first, but after about a month or so of doing this once a week, you should see an improvement in your stamina.

The idea is to get the heart into the aerobic level, and do only partial recovery during the break before taking it back up again.

mikawendy
06-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Okay, anyone has any tips for having the stamina to get thru the test? I found this morning that I essentially had NO energy after the second or third move! By the time I got to the 5 step mohawks, all I wanted to do then was just to crawl in this little corner and COLLAPSE!!!

In addition to double runthrus, have you tried doing additional half or full patterns after you've done two runthrus, to work on anything that needs refining, which also will work on stamina? Also, if you're doing any freestyle program practice, 4 laps of stroking after every program runthru (and if you're not working on an FS program right now, then periodically throughout the session, add in laps of stroking for stamina?)

For some reason the 5 step mohawk pattern has always made me more winded than any of the other patterns....

jazzpants
06-28-2006, 07:09 PM
In addition to double runthrus, have you tried doing additional half or full patterns after you've done two runthrus, to work on anything that needs refining, which also will work on stamina? Also, if you're doing any freestyle program practice, 4 laps of stroking after every program runthru (and if you're not working on an FS program right now, then periodically throughout the session, add in laps of stroking for stamina?)

For some reason the 5 step mohawk pattern has always made me more winded than any of the other patterns....I warm up with about 3 laps around the rink, sometimes 4 laps at the beginning of the session to warm up the legs and get myself to wake up. :twisted: Then I do my double run thrus, then whatever moves that needs refining.

I am currently not doing much FS program practice b/c I'm "in-between programs." (Read: I really want to get to my Bronze FS test program, but right now I'm too busy just to get thru the moves stuff!) :twisted: :frus: In fact, my "reward" of sorts for going thru all the moves stuff IS to practice my jumps and spins (assuming I have time and energy at the end of the session...) When I've passed my Bronze Moves test, THEN I will have to reevaluate how best to organize my skating practice for the next test(s).

jenlyon60
06-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Another suggestion:

Try setting a stopwatch to say 2 minutes or 3 minutes (or have coach do it), then skate around the rink as fast as you can for that amount of time. Don't try to go for "nice extension," just on keeping the legs moving as quick as possible for the full 2 or 3 minutes.

PattyP
06-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Okay, anyone has any tips for having the stamina to get thru the test? I found this morning that I essentially had NO energy after the second or third move! By the time I got to the 5 step mohawks, all I wanted to do then was just to crawl in this little corner and COLLAPSE!!

How long are you waiting between each move? Someone told me this before my Gold MIF test and it saved me. It's not a race, so you should take you time in between moves to catch your breath and let your heart rate come down. This is especially important when you throw in test nerves.

Try "pacing" yourself the next time you run through them and see if it helps. It worked for me!

Maineskate
06-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Also, check your breathing. It is very common for athletes and performers to hold their breath without knowing it--especially if they're nervous. If you're truly sucking wind at the end, you need more oxygen (duh!). If you believe you are breathing well throughout the whole program, then maybe think about building greater lung capacity with yoga or qi gong breathing exercises.

Good breathing will not only help your wind, but also keep your muscles strong longer. Not to mention, calm the nerves.

Good luck!
Julie

jazzpants
06-28-2006, 09:52 PM
How long are you waiting between each move? Someone told me this before my Gold MIF test and it saved me. It's not a race, so you should take you time in between moves to catch your breath and let your heart rate come down. This is especially important when you throw in test nerves.

Try "pacing" yourself the next time you run through them and see if it helps. It worked for me!Well, I wait about a minute between each move. The last runthru this morning during my lesson was a bit longer than a minute b/c my coach is taking her time writing "her judges' notes." (She's playing "nit-picky" judge this morning during our lesson.)

Also, check your breathing. It is very common for athletes and performers to hold their breath without knowing it--especially if they're nervous. If you're truly sucking wind at the end, you need more oxygen (duh!). If you believe you are breathing well throughout the whole program, then maybe think about building greater lung capacity with yoga or qi gong breathing exercises.

Good breathing will not only help your wind, but also keep your muscles strong longer. Not to mention, calm the nerves.
AWWWWW!!! Thanks, Julie!!! Yes, definitely something else I don't always do!!! (Or at least, my primary coach (and now my NYC coach as well) have said all along... BREATHE!!! (Or in primary coach's case, it's "BREATHE, WOMAN!!! EXHALE ALREADY!!!" :lol: )

I'll definitely try that (and jenlyon's last suggestion) to see what happens!

Thanks for the input! Keep 'em coming!!! :mrgreen:

Hannahclear
06-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Just to echo what others have said. It really is alright to take time between each move. Apparently, they've even changed the rules and you can speak to your coach between moves.

I skated my power stroking patterns (2) and then spoke to my coach before each subsequent move. I'd skate over while they were writing, sip my Vitamin Water and receive reassurance. It really did help.

Also, take deep breaths before beginning each move. I skated to my start position, then I stood there, adjusted my posture and arm position and made myself take three deep breaths. Rushing makes bad things happen.

Debbie S
06-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Rushing makes bad things happen.Definitely true. The first time I tested Bronze moves, I was in the mindset of doing everything as quickly as possible b/c 1) I knew the judges were looking for power and speed, and 2) I wanted to get the test over with (this was also true when I tested Pre-Bronze MIF, although that test I passed the first time). But speed and power aren't necessarily the same thing - I ended up not always stepping to the correct edges and I rushed the 3-turns. I also got really scratchy on the back crossovers. Take your time to really bend and push and step on the edges, and then the speed will come...the right way. :)

The second time I tested, I wobbled a bit at one point in the back perimeter stroking and had to step on the BI edge prior to the axis line. I thought, Oh no, here we go again....and I got flustered during the power 3's and did not do a good job (I'm still amazed one judge passed me). It turned out, when I got the papers, that 2 of the 3 judges passed me on the back perim stroking and the one who didn't didn't even mention the wobble or early step in her comments. Moral of the story: don't let an early bobble get to you, b/c you never know what the judges are thinking.

Hannahclear
06-29-2006, 08:21 AM
My coach watched the judges while the other skaters in my group were testing. She pointed out to me that the judges aren't even watching the entire time. They are taking notes, or looking away momentarily.

LoopLoop
06-29-2006, 08:25 AM
For any moves test, you can (and should) take a short break between patterns. Get a sip of water, take a couple of deep breaths, whatever you need to do. Remember, the judges need to finish writing their comments about each move before you start the next pattern.

At my club, the judge-in-charge checks with the panel to make sure they're all ready to see the next pattern, then announces it and says "you may begin." When I tested at another nearby club, the judges told me to look over at them before starting each move, and they would nod when they were ready for me to go.

jenlyon60
06-29-2006, 08:33 AM
I will be watching the skater except momentarily when I look down to scribble a comment.

Because the test chair of the club to which I belong keeps the MIF/FS test schedule moving briskly along (as much as possible), I don't always get enough time to write clean comments between each MIF element.

So if there is something I want to comment about, I will jot down the gist of it, then come back and write my comments more clearly/cleanly.

jenlyon60
06-29-2006, 08:37 AM
One more thing from a stamina perspective....

remember, anaerobic stamina is different than aerobic stamina. And skating (such as doing the MIF tests) is heavily anaerobic.

Improving your anaerobic stamina will help your aerobic stamina, but the converse is not necessarily true, at least according to what my off-ice conditioning coach told me.

There's also (IMO) mental stamina involved in skate tests.

jenlyon60
06-29-2006, 11:33 AM
2 More really Good drills

1. The dreaded circle drill (again, either timed or "do x repeats". Basically, you do crossovers around each of the end hockey circles, alternating direction (CCW and CW), then skate to the center hockey circle and go around it doing crossovers, then skate to the other end hockey circles, do crossovers around each of them (CCW and CW), then skate back to the center, do crossovers around the center hockey circle again (I usually would do the OTHER direction from the 1st time). Then back to the beginning end hockey circles and another round of the CCW and CW crossovers.

Not only does it help with stamina it works the crossovers/progressives.

2. And of course, the "Evil Eights" which is a diabolical version of the Intermediate power circles. Instead of spiraling out like in the MIF power circles, get some speed and do 1 crossover/progressive, holding each stroke for 8 counts. Then do 2 crossovers/progressives, holding each stroke for 4 counts. Then do 4 crossovers/progressives, holding each stroke for 2 counts. Then 8 crossovers/progressives, holding each for a single count (running basically). Finish. Get started in the other direction. Repeat in other direction and finish. Then get started and turn around backwards... do the same thing in 1 direction doing backwards crossovers. Finish. Do the same thing in other direction using backwards crossovers.

Then have your lesson.

And a good leg/control strenghtening exercise: pick up some speed along the short axis of the rink and come around the corner. Do a good strong stroke and stay on the skating leg with good extension. Rise, bring the extended leg through to the front and raise it a bit in front and re-bend the knee. Rise, bring the leg through to the back with nice extension, rebend. Repeat until end of rink... you should get about 3 repeats and with starting with some speed/flow you should not need to re-stroke in the middle. Do some crossovers around the end, repeat down the other side on the other leg.

An easier version of this is to just rise so that both legs are together, then rebend with the rear extension (i.e. skip the "swing through").

jazzpants
06-29-2006, 01:11 PM
There's also (IMO) mental stamina involved in skate tests.OOoooooh, yeah! And I definitely didn't have that this morning at my lesson with my primary coach! :frus: It was worse when my primary coach was snapping at me about things and he realizes that "something was wrong." At the time I didn't know what. I just didn't have the concentration or the focus to work on the moves today. I was just simply too busy trying to dodge other skaters who were taking lessons or practicing their programs. At times, even that (dodging the other skaters) wasn't happening either! (The worst part was that it wasn't even that crowded and all I wanted was just to get thru the moves.) :frus: