View Full Version : Two foot spins

AndreaUK
06-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi

Well at last Im on the path to actualising my dream and this is to spin on the ice. My coach has decided now is the time to start, however Im having problems.

Obviously the two footed spin is going to be easier than doing it on one foot. So far I have been told to dig my left toe pick into the ice in order to keep myself from sliding around, after this i am to turn my arms and body around to the right as far as I can and then in spring like action twist the body around to the opposite direction and bring the feet to a facing forwards position and parallell. I did this twice with my coach and managed to get 1 rotation each time. However as usual once my coach has gone and I am left to practice this, I become unstuck.

I tried this technique several times and got no where and found that I was cutting up the ice and not even making half a rotation. I dont know why or where I was going wrong but I cant seem to get this going.

A couple of other skaters showed me how to scull the right foot around, however I found that I just couldnt move.

Can anyone offer me any advice of how to get this two footed spin going? Im sorry its such a basic question.

Andrea xx

Skate@Delaware
06-23-2006, 11:40 AM
So far I have been told to dig my left toe pick into the ice in order to keep myself from sliding around, after this i am to turn my arms and body around to the right as far as I can and then in spring like action twist the body around to the opposite direction and bring the feet to a facing forwards position and parallell.
After you go around one or two times, then you lower the heel of your pivoting foot. If you keep it dug into the ice, you will not be able to continue this spin as it will prevent you from spinning. So, want you want to do is:
-pivot around several times with just the back part of your toepick in the ice until you pick up speed (just barely scratching the ice with it, just enough to anchor you not enough to dig a hole, this might be your problem)
-push your heel down as your arms swing around, make sure not to swing your arms too far out, they should form a "v" in front of you not stick straight out to your sides before you bring them in to center.
-as you do that bring your other foot in parallel to your other foot

Note: as you are doing all of the above, your knees are bent, only when you've done all of the above and are centered do you rise up! Very Important not to pop up suddenly!!!! Trust me on this! And don't bend forwards at the waist either.

flo
06-23-2006, 11:57 AM
I teach the kids a "baseball" spin. Stand like a batter ready to hit. Place your left toe pick (for ccw spinning) gently in the ice. Most of your wt. will be on your right foot, and knees will be bent. Wind up for the hit bringing the right shoulder back (I have them hold a pretend bat as they would waiting for a pitch). Then bat and come up out of your knees as you would in baseball. When you are at the point where you make contact with the ball, you will be on the flats of the blade and your blades will be side by side. I have them keep their arms out in front of them to begin with, then pull them in and "hug" themselves.
Try it on the floor. The "swing" of the bat sets up the rotation.

Mrs Redboots
06-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I teach the kids a "baseball" spin. Stand like a batter ready to hit. Place your left toe pick (for ccw spinning) gently in the ice. Most of your wt. will be on your right foot, and knees will be bent. Wind up for the hit bringing the right shoulder back (I have them hold a pretend bat as they would waiting for a pitch). Then bat and come up out of your knees as you would in baseball. When you are at the point where you make contact with the ball, you will be on the flats of the blade and your blades will be side by side. I have them keep their arms out in front of them to begin with, then pull them in and "hug" themselves.
Try it on the floor. The "swing" of the bat sets up the rotation.Might work, if we British types knew what a baseball spin looked like!

rlichtefeld
06-23-2006, 01:25 PM
cricket batsman = baseball hitter

Might work, if we British types knew what a baseball spin looked like!

Kevin Callahan
06-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Rob, it's not quite the same. UT had a cricket club, so I've seen it in action. The cricket bat is swung at a much lower angle, sometimes entirely straight up and down! You don't get quite the same spin follow through as you would with a baseball bat.

Skittl1321
06-23-2006, 02:02 PM
It's a similiar spin to if you took a golf club and let it keep swinging around you.

flo
06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Mrs. Redboots, the next time we're dancing in the streets I'll show you!

Mrs Redboots
06-24-2006, 04:15 AM
Mrs. Redboots, the next time we're dancing in the streets I'll show you!I'll hold you to that!

Rob, I think baseball is more like our children's game of "rounders" than it is like cricket - a cricket bat is held vertically.

kidskater101
06-26-2006, 12:03 PM
ok..
my coach told me to stand on your left foot with your right foot extended to your right with a slight bend in your knee bring and with your toe pick in the ice. keep all of your weight on your left foot. Face to the right. With your arms bring them around your body. move your hips to the left then you upper body, WITH A LOT OF FORCE! as if you were trying to swing a door open. after your arms get to the left side of you hug your self. KEEP ALL OF YOUR WEIGHT ON THE BALL OF YOUR FOOT!!!!!
Its a lot easer than it sounds!
try it
it will work