View Full Version : different coaching techniques

miraclegro
06-22-2006, 03:17 AM
I have a coach i travel over 2 hours to see - only occasionally because i love him so much for technique. However, there is a fantastic young lady at our new rink who is teaching me also. Problem is: i am working on brackets, and they both have different technique.

My long-distance coach is very much breaking it down - very slowly and foot placement/switching timing of the free foot is not the same as the local coach is doing it. Long-distance coach also stated that his technique looks slightly different than the MIF video would show. Also, his background is Russian (long-distance coach) and hers is American.

Can anyone send me a video clip of these moves, or give me any advice? Local coach is a faster technique, also, but his looks like something more along the lines of figures training. HELP! Thanks

Thin-Ice
06-22-2006, 03:25 AM
I'm guessing you are in the US, if not, completely disregard what I'm about to say.

What exactly do you intend to use the brackets for (at least at for now?) Are you focusing on doing figures, footwork for a competitive program or Moves in the Field testing?

I'm a judge and I'd say if it's Moves, go with the faster version, because one of the things judges can consider a "fault" on a MITF test is "skated too much like a figure" -- meaning too slowly and deliberately and technically correct, but not strong/powerful (yeah, I know it's hard to do powerful brackets.. .but if you can, great for you!). That "skated too much like a figure" phrase is right there on the list of "technical errors" that accompany the diagrams of the moves in the PSA guide to MITF.

miraclegro
06-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the help. Yes, i am in the U.S., and i had no idea "skated too much like a figure" could be a problem. I guess from now on, i'll just work on other stuff with Michael, the long-distance coach. I really appreciate it.

I am working on them to (eventually) pass the Adult Gold MIF test. THanks again!

Casey
06-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Just a personal opinion here, but I tend to prefer the skating style of russian skaters, so I'd probably opt to favor his style over hers... :halo:

lovepairs
06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm a judge and I'd say if it's Moves, go with the faster version, because one of the things judges can consider a "fault" on a MITF test is "skated too much like a figure"

I had a judge write this on my Inter. Moves test on the Brackets. I took it as a compliment. But then again, I didn't pass. In terms of aesthetics, figures trump moves any day in my book!

Sk8pdx
06-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Brackets are in the eyes of the beholder. Yes, it will depend on the context you are using them. Not only are there different techniques that coaches teach, but judges will evaluate them based on their own preferences too. The figures judge during my pre-bronze test said that my waltz 8 should have been bigger. My coaches preferred it smaller. I passed anyway.

Embrace both styles of teaching and then decide which is best for you.

miraclegro
06-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, i think the Russian style is very technically beautiful myself, but i guess i will have to pick the not-so-Russian speed in order to pass the MIF test.

Even if my free foot varies a bit, i know Michael is a stickler for head and shoulders and control. So, maybe i can merge them a little, but i'm not sure how. I'd still like to see a video of someone doing the brackets in an exemplary fashion.

doubletoe
06-22-2006, 01:54 PM
If you want to pass the Adult Gold (or standard track Intermediate) moves in the field, it's not too important where you keep your free foot, arms, etc. What's important is that you show control, proper edges and correct pattern. You should try both techniques and see which one makes it easier for you to execute the brackets with control and on pattern.

Also, you can see a video of a passing level test by ordering this video set, which shows every MIF, up through Senior level.

http://www.skatepsa.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=41_43&osCsid=9a07516b9bc6f0138e28f5d49a6a59dc