View Full Version : Club 2000 blade?

Skittl1321
06-20-2006, 01:35 PM
I finally heard back from rainbo sports and they recommend I either get the Jackson competitor (which they do not have stock, and they are not sure if Jackson has in stock) or the Reidell Gold Medallion.

The Gold Medallion comes with a Club 2000 blade. Can anyone tell me about this blade. I assume it's a stock blade, so it's not that great, but how does it compare to the Mirage that would come with the competitor?

Edit to add: Okay, I'm impatient so I went ahead and ordered it. I ordered the Gold Medallion (wide). The woman at rainbo told me the Club 2000 was a bit lower than the Mirage, but better than the Mark IV that comes with a Jackson freestyle. Now I'm just worried about the boots being too stiff, too big, or too wide, since I haven't tried this kind on before. I was expecting to get the Jackson Competitor They ended up costing the same as the Competitor would have- but since the blade isn't as good I guess that makes them more expensive. I've heard good things about Reidells, and about Rainbo's ability to size over the internet, so hopefully it will all work out.

It does however turn out that if I had gotten the Competitor I would wear the size I thought was a bit too big when I went to Cincinnati. So am now kicking myself for turning down an incredible deal- the boot and protege blade for $250. Oh well, live and learn.

dbny
06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
IMO, the Club 2000 is a decent intro to freestyle blade and will last you until you need something better.

stardust skies
06-20-2006, 10:58 PM
You know.....if you thought the boot you TRIED ON physically was too big, then it most likely was. If anything, there's a better chance that they are giving you the wrong size over the internet/phone rather than you being mistaken on how you feel with the boots on your feet. I doubt you made a mistake not to get the other pair, truly.

Skittl1321
06-21-2006, 05:20 AM
You know.....if you thought the boot you TRIED ON physically was too big, then it most likely was. If anything, there's a better chance that they are giving you the wrong size over the internet/phone rather than you being mistaken on how you feel with the boots on your feet. I doubt you made a mistake not to get the other pair, truly.

You know it seems that way, (what kind of idiot doesn't know if a shoe fits or not) but the issue was with not being sure how they should feel AFTER the heat molding. The size I wasn't sure about was very snug before molding, but seemed "too comfortable" after they heated it up. No one at that pro-shop could tell me what they should feel like. The guy who was fitting me was more knowledgeable than the guy who stood behind his shoulder and told me that ice skates should be real comfortable like tennis shoes.

So the size I ordered was the size that was snugh before molding and semi-comfy after. Except I got a different brand, and a wide- so now I'm just hoping rainbo knows what they are doing. Although the Reidells I tried on were too Narrow, so I guess I should have a wide.

My feet are actually 2 different sizes, so chances are the pair I ordered is going to fit one of them :) Unfortunately ice skates are lasted so I can't just buy 2 pairs/sizes at a time and switch them like I did pointe shoes.

Skate@Delaware
06-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Well, I can tell you from my experience (3 pairs in 3 years of Jackson competitors) that the Jacksons should have fit snug, as they would have loosened up a bit once you skated in them a bit. I can get them to fit well enough by cranking down on the laces.:roll:

Again I am fighting with boots that are a tad too big, but now they are just a tad, not a whole size or 1/2 size.

I also had boots fitted at a "pro" shop where no good advice was given on how they should fit. I didn't know where my toes should hit in them or anything and there were no boots to try on....

I can't go by the sneaker fit as I'm still wearing my too-big sneakers....(i get new ones next week when I visit the Skechers outlet!!!)

Never again! Next time I'm going somewhere else!

And you should do fine with the blades.

Skittl1321
06-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Well, I can tell you from my experience (3 pairs in 3 years of Jackson competitors) that the Jacksons should have fit snug, as they would have loosened up a bit once you skated in them a bit. I can get them to fit well enough by cranking down on the laces.:roll:

So even after the heat molding they should be very snug?
The smaller size (3) I could barely get my foot into it before it was heated up and then after it was heated it was very tight, but I could move my toes.

The 3.5 was tight but I could get my foot into it before it was heated, but after it was heated it was comfortable, I could move my toes, but I couldn't pick up my foot or anything.

I'm over thinking it now. I didn't even get the Competitor so it's a bit moot how it fit. :)

stardust skies
06-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Well, basically, how the feel when they are heated up is probably how they'll feel about halfway through their life, ie: very soon after you've broken them in. If they feel big when heat molded, then that's BAD. All heat molding is supposed to do is soften up the leather a bit so that it can conform to the shape of your foot and harden back up that way. It shouldn't so much affect the size, so I think that perhaps when the boots were heated, you were able to get your foot placed more correctly in there (maybe you have some bones or bunions that were preventing you to slide all the way in when they were cold) and you saw the ACTUAL size of the boot.

If they're too big when they're heat molded, then they will be too big once you've worn them a while, because all heat molding does is accelerate the process by a little bit. Your boots should be snug always. Your toes should brush the front of the boot, your heel should be held FIRMLY in place and unable to slide around in the back. In the contrast, if you cannot lay all of your toes completely flat in your boots, then they are too small. Hope this helps a little bit.

PS: I think the talk is still relevant for you because since you were a bit confused at the shop and since you mail-ordered and will have to decide on your own if the boots fit or not, it's important to know exactly what they SHOULD feel like. It's also slightly (and only slightly, don't panic) concerning that the place you mail-ordered your boots from reccommended a size which you found out were most likely too big. I know you ended up in a different brand so it may all work out, but it's definitely enough to raise a slight red flag, IMO. Also, if your feet are truly too different sizes, you may consider getting customs next time, although they are way more expensive, in the end it's better than developing some sort of medical condition because you only have one boot that fits.

Skittl1321
06-21-2006, 04:40 PM
It does. It will help me tell if the boots I ordered are keepers or should be exchanged.