View Full Version : Patch - How?

AndreaUK
06-19-2006, 08:36 AM
HIya

Can anyone tell me what the criteria is to skate on patch ice? Im finding that the public skating sessions are starting to annoy me becuase I dont have the space to practice.

I am still currently in the basics, I am learning backward crossovers, 3 turns and spirals and I know how to stop. I have lessons via a private coach. Does this usually mean I would be ok to start using patch? or do you have to be at a higher level, working on a program or aiming to compete?

Andrea xx

Isk8NYC
06-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Here in the US, "patch" sessions are reserved for skaters who are practicing Figures. (Think of "Figure 8's") You pay and are assigned a small section of the ice that you must remain in -- it's not really big enough to practice crossovers or anything. In your "Patch," you're not allowed to do anything other than Figures.

There's no rule that says you have to be a high or low level skater, so anyone can buy the patch and practice figures on that session. (Although, if it's through the Club, you have to be a member or a guest.)

Are the UK Patch sessions similar?

NickiT
06-19-2006, 09:51 AM
I guess each rink has its own criteria. We have different levels for our patch ice. During the week you need to have passed your rink advanced test, but at other times you need to have passed Passport Gold or even NISA level 1 for some patches. I suggest you check with your coach. It's much better skating on patch, but you are on the ice with much faster skaters hence the need for a minimum standard.

Nicki

Evelina
06-19-2006, 11:41 AM
At our rink you can come along as long as you take lessons with one of the coaches at the rink. There is a note about a minimum standard, however some people who come are working on cross-overs and nothing too advanced. Best thing I guess is to speak to your coach and ask.

samba
06-19-2006, 11:43 AM
It depends on the rink and how much business they get, our rink is pretty easy going as long as you can hold your own. However patch ice can be a bit intimidating in the early days, ours has an adult group for an hour on a Sunday which is much better, no qualifications necessary, no-one to send you flying and only about 20-30 people maximum on the ice, it's also good socially in that you can compare notes with each other, have a laugh and make friends. As Nicki said, check with your coach.

flippet
06-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Here in the US, "patch" sessions are reserved for skaters who are practicing Figures. (Think of "Figure 8's") You pay and are assigned a small section of the ice that you must remain in -- it's not really big enough to practice crossovers or anything. In your "Patch," you're not allowed to do anything other than Figures.

There's no rule that says you have to be a high or low level skater, so anyone can buy the patch and practice figures on that session. (Although, if it's through the Club, you have to be a member or a guest.)

Are the UK Patch sessions similar?

UK 'patch' usually equals US 'freestyle'.

Mrs Redboots
06-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Andrea, ask your teacher, as different rinks have different criteria! At ours, you have to have private lessons from one of the coaches (being in the groups isn't enough), as you pay your coach for the ice time. At other rinks, you pay at the door but have to have a certain level of skating to use the ice.

Sonic
06-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Andrea, ask your teacher, as different rinks have different criteria! At ours, you have to have private lessons from one of the coaches (being in the groups isn't enough), as you pay your coach for the ice time. At other rinks, you pay at the door but have to have a certain level of skating to use the ice.

Hi Andrea

Ours sounds similar to Mrs Redboots; you don't have to book in advance or anything, the only criteria is that you have to have your own skates and be taking lessons with one of the coaches, from what I've heard it's pretty much the same story around the country.

You might find as I do that early morning patches are particularly good as the rink is often very empty - great time to practice stuff like dance patterns and backwards spirals without the fear of bumping into anyone.

I found it helpful to 'shop around' for the best times to skate by trying them out - eg at our rink the Monday tea-time public session is fairly quiet so not bad for practice, Weds and Thurs early mornings are great, and Saturday afternoons are the worst (busiest) public sessions. Saturday patches seem to attract the really good skaters so make me feel inadequate lol! :bow:

HTH

S xxx

AndreaUK
06-21-2006, 04:15 PM
HIya

Well I have an update.

I emailed my coach and told her that I wasnt happy to have my lesson on Thursday during the usually quiet morning public skate. The reason being is that there is a party of over 100 teenagers booked into the arena, so learning or practising anything is going to be pretty futile.

I send this email on Monday night but met up with my coach yesterday morning as the rink was very quiet. She said that really Im good enough for patch now and she see's no reason why I cant resume my lessons on the patch sessions. So as it happens, Ive bought myself a set of 6 patch tickets. You have to get them in a book of 6 and they work out cheaper in the long run than paying for 6 public sessions.

So tomorrow is my very first time on patch :D I am a little nervous as I know there are going to be some very good skaters and I will most likely feel a little bit intimidated, however this may prove to be a good thing. I may end up skating better becuase I feel that I have something more to work towards. Instead of looking at those good skaters with envy I can look at them with admiration and think 'yeah im gonna be that good some day' LOL even though I will be sharing the ice with Stacey Kemp and David King tomorrow. LOL

The criteria at our arena (Blackburn) is that you HAVE to be having lessons with one of Blackburns official coaches. You dont have to be having a particular lesson on the day you use patch as you are able to use it for practice but you have to be having lessons in general.

Im looking foward to it and will probably update here tomorrow.

Andrea xx

NickiT
06-21-2006, 04:29 PM
That's great news Andrea. I must admit having had lessons on patch for some years now, I could never go back to having lessons on public sessions. I do sometimes stay on during the day if it's quiet, but patch is so much better.

Nicki

stardust skies
06-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Wow, that's really interesting how all of these rinks require you to be taking from their coaches to use freestyle/patch ice. Is this true even if you are an advanced skater, maybe someone on vacation or whose normal rink is closed and they need a place to practice for a week or two? I can't imagine how alienating all skaters who study with coaches from different arenas would be good for business?

Skittl1321
06-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Wow, that's really interesting how all of these rinks require you to be taking from their coaches to use freestyle/patch ice. Is this true even if you are an advanced skater, maybe someone on vacation or whose normal rink is closed and they need a place to practice for a week or two? I can't imagine how alienating all skaters who study with coaches from different arenas would be good for business?

There are some rinks around here that are like that. Chances are if you called ahead of time they would let you on, but for us those restrictions are just for certain sessions. It's just a small block of time and you can find another time to skate.

NickiT
06-22-2006, 03:01 AM
We get "strangers" on our patch ice sometimes. Like last week we had an adult from another rink who presumably came over to try out our ice before competing in our open next week. Generally though it's regulars, and when we see someone we don't know it's like "Who's that?"!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2006, 04:52 AM
Wow, that's really interesting how all of these rinks require you to be taking from their coaches to use freestyle/patch ice. Is this true even if you are an advanced skater, maybe someone on vacation or whose normal rink is closed and they need a place to practice for a week or two? I can't imagine how alienating all skaters who study with coaches from different arenas would be good for business?Visitors do happen, but they are always arranged through one of the coaches. Don't forget the skating world here is very small, and all the coaches know each other, so it's a matter of one of them ringing a friend and organising it.

I find "strange" patches very disconcerting - at our rink, you know who is going to be where, who teaches in which corner, and generally everybody's basic pattern of behaviour, to say nothing of where their programmes or dances are going - at a strange rink, you have no idea!

Andrea, you should know that you have as much right to be on the ice as Stacy and David, but they will not thank you for getting in their way, so when you are practising, rather than having your lesson, make sure you are aware of where they are on the ice, and go to the boards if you need to.

AndreaUK
06-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Hiya,

Well I just got back from patch and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was no where near as daunting as I expected it to be. Sure there were top level skaters on the ice but at the same time there were some lower levels so I didnt feel too intimidated.

I find that with patch all the skaters are far more aware and respectful to each other and absolutley no near misses. Seeing as what I was practicing today didnt take up much room I pretty much stayed towards one of the corners by the boards so that I wouldnt get in anyones way.
Been working on 2 foot spins and 3 turns again today. The 3 turn is there now but the 2 foot spin is a brand new skill that Ive been shown today so its gonna take a while to get me thinks.

Anyway basically patch aint so bad. I shall be using it again for my lesson next Thursday.

Andrea xx