View Full Version : Breaking into new skates!! again...

*JennaD*
06-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey everyone..

So there's probably a million threads about ths already, but I'm just about to get a new pair of skates, and I was wondering, what's the best way to break them in ? Like should I walk around with them at home or anything...?? Or just do a lot of stroking once I get on the ice?

Thanks!!

*Jenna

karina1974
06-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone..

So there's probably a million threads about ths already, but I'm just about to get a new pair of skates, and I was wondering, what's the best way to break them in ? Like should I walk around with them at home or anything...?? Or just do a lot of stroking once I get on the ice?

Thanks!!

*Jenna

Well, I roller skate, but boots are boots, so...

When I bought my first pair of skates last year, the guy at the pro shop (his father runs the rink I skate at, and he is also one of the floor guards) told me to lace them up as far as the hooks, and walk around my house in them (easy, because my apartment is mostly carpeted). It hurt like hell until the boots were broken in to the point of being comfortable, which took months.

I can't speak about when to do jumps or spins, because I do neither.

AndreaUK
06-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi

Someone told me once to walk around the house with the guards on, lace them up as you would normally. If the boots hurt your ankles try wrapping bubble wrap around them to ease the rubbing.

Andrea xx

luna_skater
06-17-2006, 03:35 PM
A lot of people recommend that you should NOT walk around the house with new boots on, because you will break in the boots in the wrong places. Walking and skating motions are entirely different (you don't have the heel-to-toe foot motion when you skate). Many people also have all kinds of "home remedies" for breaking in boots such as wrapping your feet in plastic, dumping boiling water in the boots, tieing the ankle around a baseball, etc.

I didn't do anything fancy to break in my last pair of boots. I DID put them on inside the house, but I didn't "walk" in them. I would stand in front of a full-length mirror and just bend up and down a lot. I would also bend with one leng and extend with the other, to mimic on-ice stroking. I did chasses in place, things like that. When I got on the ice, I tied the boots with the top hook undone, and spent most of the first session just stroking. The second session, I did the same, and added simple turns (3-turns). By about the third session, I worked on more complex turns (rockers, counters, brackets), and eventually laced the top hook.

I didn't do any jumping or spinning for a while, because I was only just learning jumps and spins anyway. I was pretty comfortable in the boots before I had another lesson with my coach to work on free skate. The boots I bought were Gams, which are known for being quite easy to break in. Good luck with your boots!

Isk8NYC
06-18-2006, 11:31 AM
You're right: there are tons of threads related to this topic. One thing you will find out quickly is that everyone has their own opinion, so you'll need to make your own decisions. Sometimes people on this board contradict each other and disagree about "the best way to..."

Try a search, and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.skatingforums.com/search.php?searchid=94651

lovepairs
06-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Go out and buy "Oven-Roaster Turkey Zip Lock Baggies" They have to be oven roaster.

Boil hot water

Put one baggie in each skate.

Pour boiling water into baggie.

Let sit for 5 minutes.

Carefully, take baggie out of skate and pour boiling water out of baggie into sink without burning yourself.

Put boots on and lace them up--ahhhh (better than the spa!)

Remember to wear your guards, now walk around your house for as long as you can stand it.

Do this about 5 times, and your boots will be on their way to being broken in.

The hot water softens the leather, temporarily, and allows the boot to mold more comfortably to your feet. :D

Skate@Delaware
06-18-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm getting better at breaking in skates...3 pairs in 3 years....:frus:

Anyway, my coach suggested tons of back crossovers to break them in. I also wore my in the house while sitting and reading and standing and doing knee-bends only with them laced up tighter than normal. So between these two activities they still hurt but not as bad. I have Jackson Competitors and did not have them molded. After 10 hours of skating in them they were fine.

pWnzOrz x
06-21-2006, 09:50 PM
if you can do a walley i suggest you do them over and over...

it doesn't just help you break down your skates but it also helps you physically. ;)