View Full Version : Super teri Deluxe Skates?

sarahmom3
06-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi There,
I was wondering about a skate for my DD. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion. Her coach recommended Super Teri Deluxe with a pro blade. When I asked why she thought it would be a good skate for her, she said simply she likes the skate herself. Im not sure if that alone is reason enough to get a skate.

Sarah is working on double jumps (now double toe). She is 11 years old and weighs about 65 pounds, and wears a size 3 right now. What do you think..do you think this would be a good boot/blade? Right now she's just in a Reidell boot, not sure of the model but was about $150. I guess my main concern is if it is "too much" boot for her.

Thanks you for your input. I'd really appreciate it.
1. What do you thin of the boot in general
2. Is there a place to buy used boots/blades
3. Any other advice is appreciated
Sarah's mom

Debbie S
06-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Before I got my current skates (custom Klingbeils), I had SP-Teri Super Teris (a step below Super Deluxes) and they were way too stiff for me. I'm 5'0", about 100 lbs, and working on singles. I thought about getting the Pro-Teri model, but I was worried they'd break down more quickly and when I got them I needed boots to last 2 years (long story). I was told that Pro-Teris were built for singles and that Super-Teris were for doubles. I thought, well, OK, I'm an adult, I need more boot, right? Wrong. Even if your daughter is working on doubles, I would think the Super-Teri would be all that she needs, esp at her size.

If she's in a Riedell that was $150 (I assume new when you got them?), she's probably in the 200-series, and if that's been OK, you might even want to consider the Pro-Teri, which is roughly equivalent to somewhere between the Riedell Bronze and Silver Stars (300-level). (I asked for a comparison when I got my SP-Teris - Super-Teris are supposedly somewhere between a Silver and Gold Star, and Super-Deluxes would be even higher.) Keep in mind that Riedells have a more slender cut than the SP-Teris, so if the ball area of your daughter's foot is not much wider than the heel area (common foot shape that fits Riedells), SP-Teris may be too wide for her. Make sure the fitter measures both of her feet in both areas.

Don't just take the coach's word, or automatically go to a fitter the coach recommends (esp if your coach is friendly with the fitter). Ask other parents and make sure you go to a fitter that sells and is knowledgeable about a variety of boot brands and can recommend a boot that both fits your daughter's foot shape and will be appropriate for her size and skating level.

dbny
06-16-2006, 07:32 PM
In addition to what Debbie S has said, I think the single most important thing in buying boots is that they fit properly. Every brand is different, and SP Teri's may be great for your daughter's coach, and terrible for her. Many coaches have a way of pushing what they like on their students. A lot of coaches do not remember ever wearing any boot other than the ones they wear now. Take a good look at your daughter's feet, checking for things like callouses on the tops of toes, and bumps on the heels. Those are signs of poor fit, which your daughter may not even have been aware of. If her feet look good, then I agree with Debbie S that a higher model of Riedell might be a good choice. (Keep in mind that skater's feet can look awful, even when the boots do fit well; it's just wear and tear)

twokidsskatemom
06-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Its very hard for anyone here to tell you the best boot for her foot.
I will tell you my 44lb 7 year old has been in pro terris for almost a year now with no issue at all. To be honest, even the callus on her ankle caused by jacksons is gone.
We have a skater here that is 10, outweights my daughter by at least 20lbs who has the same boot. However the mom swears the boot is too stiff for her.The girl conplains alot, but I think its just her.
We also have a 11 year old here at prel level, has doubles and just got a pair of the super terris. She seems to like them so far.
I would check with a fitter to see WHICH brand is best for her.

stardust skies
06-17-2006, 03:23 AM
Super Teri Deluxes aren't being made anymore. I'm sure you can find some leftover stock in most pro shops and will be able to for a while, but why get your daughter used to skates she won't be able to keep buying in the future? Spteri.com no longer lists these skates, either. They've been replaced by the KT-2 model, which just like the Super Teri Deluxe, is WAY WAY too stiff a boot for a girl of the height/weight and skill level you are describing.

You'd be surprised, but oftentimes, as knowledgeable as coaches are about skating, they're really not qualified to reccommend boots. Go to a knowledgeable fitter instead.

twokidsskatemom
06-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Super Teri Deluxes aren't being made anymore. I'm sure you can find some leftover stock in most pro shops and will be able to for a while, but why get your daughter used to skates she won't be able to keep buying in the future? Spteri.com no longer lists these skates, either. They've been replaced by the KT-2 model, which just like the Super Teri Deluxe, is WAY WAY too stiff a boot for a girl of the height/weight and skill level you are describing.

You'd be surprised, but oftentimes, as knowledgeable as coaches are about skating, they're really not qualified to reccommend boots. Go to a knowledgeable fitter instead.

We have some kids in the K2 and heard they wouldnt buy them again.Not too stiff but some other issues.
Please remember its sometimes trial and error.We all dont have fitters:)

stardust skies
06-17-2006, 04:51 PM
We have some kids in the K2 and heard they wouldnt buy them again.Not too stiff but some other issues.
Please remember its sometimes trial and error.We all dont have fitters:)

This is true, and I do feel for people who have to waste their money trying to find the right boot because it's inconvenient to find a good fitter in the area. :( This poster is "near Los Angeles" though, so she should have zero trouble finding a good place to get a fitting. Plenty of great shops in that area.

On another note, would you mind discussing what it is that people don't like about the KT-2's? I don't wear these, I'm simply curious. :halo:

twokidsskatemom
06-17-2006, 05:16 PM
To be honest, Im not sure but can check On monday when I see her coach. Both girls had been in Sp before and bought the K2 less than a year ago.
We have one fitter in our state:cry: I would love to be in a place you could try on the different brands before buying!!!!

beachbabe
06-17-2006, 05:32 PM
well, one of my friends has them and she's never really complained but i've tried picking up the skates and they are veeeeeeeery heavy. One thing I do like about all the sp teri models is that they all seem to hold the heel in place very well. Something my jacksons don't do too well.

My friend that has deluxes is working on doubles through lutz and if I had to estimate weighs about 110 pounds maybe?

It seems to me they would jsut be too heavy for a child, but if you can try them on do that and decide based on how they feel.

As someone else mentioned...I think this model is actually discontinued so the availability may be limited...although you could probably get a good deal on them.

sarahmom3
06-17-2006, 05:37 PM
You have all bee so helpful. I have to agree that possibly the reason her coach is recommending this boot is because her coach likes it for herself. So I will look for fitting places and have DD talk with someone and try some different skates. And yes, since we're near LA, I know of three places that have been recommended. If anyone is in LA, I plan on going ot the Toyota Sports Center, Golden Bear, and Skater's Edge, just for starters. This will be our summer project. If anyone is in the SOuth Bay Area and you have a favorite place, or person, let me know. You guys are wonderful..thank you so much!!!

I know from past experiences in running, there isn't "one" perfect shoe for everyone. So Im assuming it's kinda the same thing for ice skates.
Sarah's Mom