View Full Version : How do you become a coach?

beachbabe
04-30-2006, 06:50 PM
well, I've been skating for almost 3 years now and am turning 17 soon. I really want to be a coach. I love teaching figure skating and I feel like I have all the skills perfect to be able to teach any level of the USFSA basic skills program.

The thing is, I really don't know where to start. I've been coming in reguarly to help out with snowball classes but all I get paid is discounted ice time and I only get to teach marching, standing up...etc.

I really wanna teach a higher level and i don't know how to go about getting all the right certifications, insurance, etc.

So can someone explain to me this whole process in the US as far as USFSA and PSA goes. Its just so confusing lol

dbny
04-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Neither the USFS nor the PSA have any requirements for coaching, although the PSA does have both a rating and a ranking system. Your best bet, IMO, is to keep doing what you have been, while keeping your eyes open for opportunities. You could also let the skating director know that you want to do more and you could offer to volunteer if s/he can't afford to pay you yet. Most schools want their coaches to be at least 18, so you may have to stay at "junior coach" status for another year.

Isk8NYC
05-01-2006, 07:45 AM
The ISI has a good "Instructor Manual" that's available on their website. It covers a lot of the group lesson issues. The Associate Membership includes the Recreational Skater magazine as well as the professional journal called the ISI Edge. Both have information relevant to coaching.

The PSA has a similar, but higher-level, publication called the "Coaches Manual" that includes editing music, MIF diagrams, and so forth. They offer online courses for group lessons, spins, jumps, etc.

The PSA also has an apprentice program, but you have to find a ranked coach to work with for the season. Some colleges accept it as an independent study course -- you'd need to justify it towards your major field of study.

I think you compete in USFSA, so start studying the Basic Skills and Free Skate test structure. Your first opportunity to teach might be as a sub for another teacher. You'll look smart if you KNOW what's on the skaters' group level.

There's a lot more to it, but this will give you a head start. The most important thing is to network. Talk to the other coaches and ask them how they started out. What advice would they have for you? Ask if you can observe their classes in order to learn from them. (Some coaches are funny about that, make sure you ask.) Then, talk to the Director and ask what their requirements are for a full coach. Some rinks require PSA membership and a Basic Accredidation test rating. All require insurance.

morganm
05-01-2006, 10:06 AM
I would check with your local clubs to see what they require of coaches. Most have an age and skill level requirement. The 2 clubs nearest me have different requirements. One you have to be 18 and passed juvenile freestyle, the other you have to be 16 and passed intermediate freestyle. You should talk with your coach about shadowing him/her. You can join PSA as long as a masters rated coach sponsors you. It's a good idea as you can purchase liability insurance (never never coach without your own insurance, no matter what the rink says!) and get the benefit of their programs. If you have been skating for just 3 years, I would say work on your tests. Other than basic skills, it would be hard to convince a parent to have you coach if you are lacking in your own skills. Good luck!

Bothcoasts
05-01-2006, 11:18 AM
There's nothing wrong with receiving payment as discounted ice time. One of the main reasons why I started coaching was simply to have the extra ice time (and to play with kids, of course!). You'll be able to use your current job on your resume when you go out in search of coaching jobs later on.

Given your age and level, you're in a tough spot. I was 17 when I started coaching myself, and found that many rinks look for either: (1) high-level teenagers (novice, junior or senior) or (2) adult skaters who are good at coaching. The more experience you can get with assisting/coaching, the more you'll fit into this second category, if you don't have the option of getting to an elite skating level.

As for coaching basic skills versus freestyle skaters, a majority of coaches do start off (and often continue) with basic skills to some degree. Coaches who are able to make a living off of elite skaters alone usually have name recognition, whether high-level skaters themselves or having coached high-level skaters. To give you an example, many of the coaches I had for my freestyle classes could do all of their doubles/triples and were competing at the regional junior/senior levels, yet they spent Saturday and Sunday mornings coaching basic skills and low freestyle group classes. Unless you have personal name recognition, assume you'll have to teach basic skills--including the beginning classes--during your career.

If you're serious about wanting to teach at a level beyond basic skills, make a positive name for yourself. Be available as much as you can, and let the director know of your availability. Ask the director if you can take on some low-level privates. Be pro-active: help out before you're asked to. Correct students' mistakes. Listen to the instructor, and mirror what she says. Enjoy working with your students, and realize the value out of teaching the little things. Most important is to learn from the instructors you work with. You're an apprentice now, and you're getting paid to learn. Instead of looking towards how you can teach at a higher level, try looking at how you can grow as a coach and a skater during this time.

KDB
05-01-2006, 02:19 PM
The ISI has a good "Instructor Manual" that's available on their website. It covers a lot of the group lesson issues. The Associate Membership includes the Recreational Skater magazine as well as the professional journal called the ISI Edge. Both have information relevant to coaching.

The PSA has a similar, but higher-level, publication called the "Coaches Manual" that includes editing music, MIF diagrams, and so forth. They offer online courses for group lessons, spins, jumps, etc.

I started a thread on Copyright Issues with Creating/selling/performing Competition Music. I just noticed your comment on the PSA Coaches Manual. You say it includes information on editing music. Does it give any insite as to how to address copyright issues?

Isk8NYC
05-01-2006, 03:08 PM
I started a thread on Copyright Issues with Creating/selling/performing Competition Music. I just noticed your comment on the PSA Coaches Manual. You say it includes information on editing music. Does it give any insite as to how to address copyright issues? I don't have my copy of the book with me. I think you should call one of the three main skating organizations in the US and discuss your copyright concerns with them. It's obviously a larger concern than can be answered on this Board.

Sorry to interrupt this thread - back to BeachBabe's coaching career. Are you planning to attend college? If so, what will be your major?

beachbabe
05-01-2006, 05:17 PM
I don't have my copy of the book with me. I think you should call one of the three main skating organizations in the US and discuss your copyright concerns with them. It's obviously a larger concern than can be answered on this Board.

Sorry to interrupt this thread - back to BeachBabe's coaching career. Are you planning to attend college? If so, what will be your major?

I do plan on going to college but I have another year of high school first. I want to go into public relations, but i'm really unsure about the fiture.I really don't want to end up with a job that may restrict my skating. I practically live at the rink and I don't know if it would be easy fot me to give that up.

That's how i thought of maybe doing a part time job, or a job with flexible hours so i would still have time to do a lot of skating and maybe coaching, which i really love.

Isk8NYC
05-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Many colleges have who manage all of the sports teams' recruiting, press, PR, and announcing. If you like sports, it could be a good fit. A college with an ice rink would be a nice fit, too. Check out the NCAA website - it might give you some ideas for the future.

AndreaUK
06-16-2006, 04:10 AM
Hi

A question I have often wondered since i began skating (6 weeks ago) is how does one become a coach. DO you have to have skated from childhood and competed? or could someone begin skating at a later age, reach a fairly decent level and then take a training course to become a coach or an assistant coach?

Just one of those things that I have been milling over in my brain

Andrea xx

Isk8NYC
06-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Since you're in the UK, I can't speak to the requirements. I believe there's a certfication of some sort.

Here in the US, many skating directors and coaches were very good skaters themselves. As a result, they feel that their programs should be staffed by similar good skaters. I think that, at least for the lower levels of teaching, your teaching skills are more important than your double jumps. Just MHO.

NickiT
06-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Here in the UK you can become a level 1 coach if you are at NISA level 3 or under standard. However most rinks, including ours, won't take on coaches below level 2 and to be a level 2 coach you need to have passed your level 6 NISA tests. So basically unless you skated as a child, it's unrealistic. As far as I know there are no adults over level 6 who didn't skate as children so for the average adult skater becoming a coach isn't much of an option. If you can find a rink that takes on a level 1 coach as an assistant coach then it's do-able, but certainly at our rink they don't. It's a shame because I feel I have so much to offer to beginners having gained several years of experience as a skater.

Nicki

mdvask8r
06-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Please give us an idea of what NISA level 3 & level 6 are.

Mrs Redboots
06-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Please give us an idea of what NISA level 3 & level 6 are.For dance, the compulsory dances at level 3 are the Golden Skaters' Waltz and the Riverside Rhumba, and at level 6 are the Willow Waltz and the Foxtrot. However, I think you need a "full level 6" to train as a coach, which also includes the Variation/Original dance tests up to and including level 6, the Free dance tests, ditto, and either the current Dance Moves or the new Skating Moves tests.

For free, the test requirements are as follows:

Level 3 Bronze

ELEMENTS
1) Figure of 8 crossovers
2) Loop jump
3) Flip jump
4) Jump combination with Cherry Flip as the second jump
5) Camel spin (minimum 3 revolutions)
6) Back upright spin (minimum 3 revolutions)
7) Straight line step sequence (to include forward and backward 3-turns)

FREE
Programme length +/- 5 seconds. Should include a minimum of Level 3 Elements or higher including:
- 2 different jumps including a Flip jump
- 1 jump combination
- Minimum of 2 different spins
- Step sequence

Level 6 Silver

ELEMENTS
1) Double Toe Loop
2) Jump combination consisting of Axel, Double Toe Loop
3) Jump sequence consisting of 2 single jumps
4) Camel-Change Camel spin (minimum 3 revolutions on each foot)
5) Layback spin (minimum 5 revolutions) or Crossfoot spin (min 4 revolutions)
6) Incorporate 3 of the following into a simple figure of eight pattern sequence - forward
spiral, backward spiral, pivot, Ina Bauer, spreadeagle, drag
7) Serpentine step sequence (half the size of the rink)

FREE
Maximum 2.5 minute programme +/- 10 seconds including a minimum of Level 6 Elements or higher including:
- Axel jump with flow
- 2 different double jumps
- 1 jump sequence
- Minimum of 2 different spins, 1 spin including a change of foot spin including a change of position
- 1 step sequence covering the full ice surface

And you will also need the new Skating Moves or current Field Moves tests.

plinko
06-16-2006, 09:22 AM
For comparison, in Canada, all skating instructors must be certified and insured through Skate Canada in order to teach in a club or school, which is where almost everyone takes lessons. Besides the skating requirements, you're required to have taken classroom theory of sport, first aid, and have done interviews, practice coaching and submitted videotaped lessons of yourself and a student being coached by you. You work with a mentor coach and it takes about 3 years to get fully certified at level 1.

To teach group learn to skate even little toddlers, the skating level requires jumps up to flip and spins to camel, plus skills (moves) of forward 3's/mohawks or the higher level of back 3s, plus dances, most people have them to Willow at least.

To teach private lessons at level 1, skating level is an axel and flying camel, plus back 3's and dances to Willow. There's more details on Skate Canada's pages, but they require a pretty stiff level of skating for anyone who has learned to skate as an adult. I know a few who have done it.

Mrs Redboots
06-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Besides the skating requirements, you're required to have taken classroom theory of sport, first aid, and have done interviews, practice coaching and submitted videotaped lessons of yourself and a student being coached by you. You work with a mentor coach and it takes about 3 years to get fully certified at level 1. This is the same in the UK. If you are lower than level 6, you have to have at least 100 hours on-ice mentoring, as well as the theory work.

And here a level 1 coach is not qualified to teach unsupervised, although they can take classes. To teach unsupervised, you must have at least level 2, and increasingly you have to attend all sorts of seminars and further training, even if you don't want promotion to a higher grade. The coaches are moaning about loss of income when they have to attend seminars that, they say, teach them less than nothing!

dooobedooo
06-16-2006, 02:01 PM
The secret is to look for a "gap in the market" at your rink.

You may be able to gain good experience by teaching group beginner classes, or children's or adult's club classes. This is the kind of work qualified coaches don't like very much. In addition, you can build up your private business through getting to know pupils in the group classes.

If you want to teach at your own rink, you may be best off talking to your own coach - I don't know about the US, but in the UK you have to spend a certain number of hours teaching free-of-charge under supervision, and your coach could arrange this.

Mrs Redboots
06-19-2006, 12:52 PM
So basically unless you skated as a child, it's unrealistic.I've just realised one of the Streatham coaches actually is an exception to this, as she only started skating as an adult, and is now a level 2 coach. Although, to be fair, it is "not the day job", and she only teaches classes and fills-in for people if they're going to be away - she told me she wanted to train as a coach to gain more insight into the whole process, rather than to do much teaching herself.

And I do know a couple of other adult skaters who are also training for similar reasons. Although now I come to think of it, they're all dancers, not free skaters.... whether that says anything, I don't know!

NickiT
06-19-2006, 02:07 PM
I've just realised one of the Streatham coaches actually is an exception to this, as she only started skating as an adult, and is now a level 2 coach. Although, to be fair, it is "not the day job", and she only teaches classes and fills-in for people if they're going to be away - she told me she wanted to train as a coach to gain more insight into the whole process, rather than to do much teaching herself.

And I do know a couple of other adult skaters who are also training for similar reasons. Although now I come to think of it, they're all dancers, not free skaters.... whether that says anything, I don't know!

Hmmm....well I know of an ice dancer who has trained to become a coach and I expect you know who I'm talking about. I daresay according to the coaches from my rink who went to the new field moves seminar, this adult was somewhat of a laughing stock because they couldn't do the exercises beyond a certain level.

I don't know of any adult freeskater in the UK who has got passed their NISA level 3 tests. All those in the level 6 and over class in the Bracknell Adult Opens skated when they were children. Apparently those in the level 3-5 class are all at level 3. Maybe it's different for ice dancers. It does seem easier to progress through the tests in ice dance I must admit, but I don't know how level 6 compares with level 6 free. All I know is that I'll be happy to get my level 3 elements and free tests and being up there alongside the highest level free skating adult at our rink.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2006, 05:36 AM
I don't know of any adult freeskater in the UK who has got passed their NISA level 3 tests. All those in the level 6 and over class in the Bracknell Adult Opens skated when they were children. Apparently those in the level 3-5 class are all at level 3. Maybe it's different for ice dancers. It does seem easier to progress through the tests in ice dance I must admit, but I don't know how level 6 compares with level 6 free. All I know is that I'll be happy to get my level 3 elements and free tests and being up there alongside the highest level free skating adult at our rink.I'm not sure that I do, now I come to think of it.... but then, most of the adults at our rink are either dancers or not especially interested in testing, although some of them compete when they can.

sceptique
06-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Here in the UK you can become a level 1 coach if you are at NISA level 3 or under standard. However most rinks, including ours, won't take on coaches below level 2 and to be a level 2 coach you need to have passed your level 6 NISA tests.
Nicki

Nicki -

actually, you don't have to be level 6. It's just if you are under level 8, you have to do 100 supervised hours in no less than a year to become level 1, and another 100 to become level 2. For people above level 8 it's 30 hours in no less than 6 months. I'm quoting this from an official NISA bulletin in front of me.

I'm going through the licensing process right now - it's surely bureaucratic and time consuming, but not very complicated.

On your other post - there is an adult skater at our rink who's testing for level 5; she's 20-something. Another one is level 2 planning to take 3 sometime soon: she's working on doubles. The second one will be at Bracknell next week; I'm not sure about the first.